Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FBG's Kitchen: The Blog

I searched the site and didn't find a Jambalaya recipe, so here's mine, adapted from one I found on allrecipes.com. It's always worked out well. For a Super Bowl type gathering with friends, I'd think about doubling the amounts.

Ingredients:

Peanut Oil

Creole seasoning

10 ounces andouille sausage, cut on the bias

1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces

1/2 pound shrimp (51-60 works well sizewise)

Feel free to mess with the proportions of these three, or substitute completely depending on what you want in the mix. Doesn't matter, as long as there's 1.5-2 pounds of meat.

1 yellow onion, diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

3 cloves minced garlic

1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon file powder

1 1/4 cups uncooked white rice

2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Lots and lots of Crystal hot sauce.

Instructions:

Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Season your chosen meats with creole seasoning. Saute sausage until browned. Remove with slotted spoon, and set aside. Repeat with other chosen meats, cooking each all the way through.

In the same pot, saute onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic until tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes, and season with red pepper, black pepper, salt, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and file powder (if you can't find it, don't worry about it). Stir in meats (if you used shrimp, hold it out for now to prevent overcooking it). Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. As you get to the tail end of the absorption, toss in the shrimp, taste the mixture, and season with Crystal and creole seasoning as necessary.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is as simple as simple gets, but these things were terrific:

Ranch Burgers:

1 lb ground beef (I used 85/15)

1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Ranch dressing mix/seasoning

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients together and split mixture into quarters and cook. I grilled them and they were very flavorful. Can't believe I never had there before.

Tipsy's 3 Meat Lasagna

Cook lasagna noodles and let cool. Make sure you boil with oil or they will stick together. I normally do not rinse pasta after boiling, but it help keep the noodles here from sticking together which can be a real pain. Pinch of salt after the rinse.

Sauce

1 Pound of ground veal

1 Pound of beef cubed (strip)

1 Pound of pork cubed (chops)

1 Onion

2 Peppers

1 Package Mushrooms sliced

4 Cloves Garlic chopped

Basil

Oregano

Thyme

Tarragon

Can of tomato paste

Can of tomato sauce

2 Cans diced tomatoes

Sugar

Salt

Heat olive oil to med-high, add onions, garlic, peppers, and herbs. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Add mushrooms and meats. Brown. Add tomato products, salt & sugar. Cook for an hour or so on low heat.

Cheese Mixture

Container of Ricotta

2 eggs

8 oz parmesan

Basil

Oregano

Chili Flakes

Salt

Pepper

Mix together....duh

Sauce

Noodles

Ricotta Mix

Noodles

Sauce

Noodles

Mozzarella

Sauce

Noodles

Mozzarella

Foil

Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes.

Uncover and Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese has browned.

Pics

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see one on the blog...

Does anyone have a good sausage gravy recipe for Biscuits and Gravy?

[shakingfistinair]Curse you Waffle House thread for making me want Biscuits and Gravy!!![/shakingfistinair]

Didn't see one on the blog...Does anyone have a good sausage gravy recipe for Biscuits and Gravy?[shakingfistinair]Curse you Waffle House thread for making me want Biscuits and Gravy!!![/shakingfistinair]

Here are the basics:Cook your sausage in a pan. Remove the sausage, but leave the grease/drippings.Add flour to the grease, enough to absorb it all. cook the flour a few minutes to remove the pasty taste. Stir in milk to heat and thick from the flour/grease (roux). Season with salt and pepper. Crumble up the sausage and put it back in the pan with the gravy.Note- you can make a richer gravy using half and half instead of milk.Note 2 - Sausage gravy is just a variation of Bechamel sauce. Bechamel is made with butter, flour (made into a roux) and milk.

Didn't see one on the blog...Does anyone have a good sausage gravy recipe for Biscuits and Gravy?[shakingfistinair]Curse you Waffle House thread for making me want Biscuits and Gravy!!![/shakingfistinair]

3 cups of milk6 tablespoons of flour2 tablespoons of butterSalt and lots of black pepper1 tube of Jimmy Dean's sausageBrown sausage in one panWisk all other ingredients in another over medium heat for 20-25 minsOnce it thickens add the sausage and drippingsServe over biscuitsAbsolutely divineThere are many variations (which I would like to hear) but this works out fine for me. It's really good. I would love to see other recipes on this.

Making a cheap, quick, and dirty bolognese from stuff acquired at Trader Joe's + stuff lurking in our pantry / fridge:

"Trader Joe's" Ragu a la Bolognese:1 lb steak tips from TJ's, coarsely ground.80 lb pork chops from TJ's, coarsely ground (these came wrapped in bacon and rosemary. I ditched the rosemary and diced the bacon)5 additional slices bacon, diced1 qt. container of TJ's pre-chopped mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery)6 cloves garlic, chopped fine1 28 oz can TJ's plum tomatoes with basil (I spun these through a food mill)1/3 of a jar leftover bertoulli tomato sauce (added this with the canned tomatoes)2 cups white wine (TJ's 3.99 special)2.5 cups whole milk2 star anise, whole2 bay leaves1 parmesan rind, kinda old and dried outwhole nutmeg for gratingfew tablespoons chopped parsley~1 tblspoon nam pla (fish sauce)~1 tblspoon sherry vinegara few healthy glugs of olive oilhealthy pat of buttersalt / pepperSatuee the bacon on low in a heavy bottomed dutch oven or similar device. Add some olive oil and the butter. When bacon is starting to brown a bit, add the galic, star anise, and mirepoix. Stir and et this cook on low for 20 minutes or so, stirring occassionally. Add the ground meats and salt, and stir to brown the meats a bit. Add the milk, grate some nutmeg over the top, stir it up and cook on low until the milk cooks down a fair bit. Add the wine, tomatoes, parmesan rind, bay leaves, and fish sauce. Let it cook on simmer for a long time (few hours). When you're ready to eat, taste for salt and adjust, add some pepper, and add a bit of sherry vinegar (but not too much) to take the edge off the fattiness of the dish. Finish with chopped parsley.Serve over papardelle, tagliatelle, or another wide gauge pasta (fettucini would work in a pinch), with plenty of grated parm on top.

Tomato Basil Pie

4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped - small chunks

10 fresh basil leaves, chopped

1 medium onion sliced thin and sauteed

8 oz mushrooms slice and sauteed

1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell

1 cup grated mozzarella

1 cup grated parmesean or asiago

1 cup mayonnaise

Salt and pepper

Directions

Blind bake pie shell (without stuff in it) - directions on frozen pie shell package. Better homemade ...but works just fine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Put half the mozzarella in the bottom of the pie shell

Layer the tomatoes, onions and mushrooms

Top with the rest of the cheese and the parmesean/mayo mixture

Bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes.

Truly awesome.

This one is a little different but its simple to make and is interesting. It has chorizo in it so that's good.

Fried Chickpeas with Chorizo and Spinach

1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling

2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, as dry as possible

Salt and black pepper

4 ounces chorizo, diced

1/2 pound spinach, roughly chopped

1/4 cup sherry

1 to 2 cups bread crumbs.

1. Heat the broiler.

2. Put three tablespoons of the oil in a skillet large enough to hold chickpeas in one layer over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add chickpeas and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown, about 10 minutes, then add chorizo. Continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until chickpeas are crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove chickpeas and chorizo from pan and set aside.

4. Add the remainder of the 1/4 cup of oil to the pan; when it’s hot, add spinach and sherry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook spinach over medium-low heat until very soft and the liquid has evaporated. Add chickpeas and chorizo back to the pan and toss quickly to combine; top with bread crumbs, drizzle with a bit more oil and run pan under the broiler to lightly brown the top. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Yield: 4 servings.

This one is a little different but its simple to make and is interesting. It has chorizo in it so that's good.Fried Chickpeas with Chorizo and Spinach 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, as dry as possibleSalt and black pepper4 ounces chorizo, diced1/2 pound spinach, roughly chopped1/4 cup sherry 1 to 2 cups bread crumbs.1. Heat the broiler. 2. Put three tablespoons of the oil in a skillet large enough to hold chickpeas in one layer over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add chickpeas and sprinkle with salt and pepper. 3. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown, about 10 minutes, then add chorizo. Continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until chickpeas are crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove chickpeas and chorizo from pan and set aside.4. Add the remainder of the 1/4 cup of oil to the pan; when it's hot, add spinach and sherry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook spinach over medium-low heat until very soft and the liquid has evaporated. Add chickpeas and chorizo back to the pan and toss quickly to combine; top with bread crumbs, drizzle with a bit more oil and run pan under the broiler to lightly brown the top. Serve hot or at room temperature.Yield: 4 servings.

This sounds very good and also different/intersting. Do you use the Portugese/Spanish chorizo that is in a casing and stays together when cooked or Mexican chorizo that comes all apart when cooked?

Making a cheap, quick, and dirty bolognese from stuff acquired at Trader Joe's + stuff lurking in our pantry / fridge:

"Trader Joe's" Ragu a la Bolognese:1 lb steak tips from TJ's, coarsely ground.80 lb pork chops from TJ's, coarsely ground (these came wrapped in bacon and rosemary. I ditched the rosemary and diced the bacon)5 additional slices bacon, diced1 qt. container of TJ's pre-chopped mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery)6 cloves garlic, chopped fine1 28 oz can TJ's plum tomatoes with basil (I spun these through a food mill)1/3 of a jar leftover bertoulli tomato sauce (added this with the canned tomatoes)2 cups white wine (TJ's 3.99 special)2.5 cups whole milk2 star anise, whole2 bay leaves1 parmesan rind, kinda old and dried outwhole nutmeg for gratingfew tablespoons chopped parsley~1 tblspoon nam pla (fish sauce)~1 tblspoon sherry vinegara few healthy glugs of olive oilhealthy pat of buttersalt / pepperSatuee the bacon on low in a heavy bottomed dutch oven or similar device. Add some olive oil and the butter. When bacon is starting to brown a bit, add the galic, star anise, and mirepoix. Stir and et this cook on low for 20 minutes or so, stirring occassionally. Add the ground meats and salt, and stir to brown the meats a bit. Add the milk, grate some nutmeg over the top, stir it up and cook on low until the milk cooks down a fair bit. Add the wine, tomatoes, parmesan rind, bay leaves, and fish sauce. Let it cook on simmer for a long time (few hours). When you're ready to eat, taste for salt and adjust, add some pepper, and add a bit of sherry vinegar (but not too much) to take the edge off the fattiness of the dish. Finish with chopped parsley.Serve over papardelle, tagliatelle, or another wide gauge pasta (fettucini would work in a pinch), with plenty of grated parm on top.

Very interesting- with the milk, star anise and nutmeg- I've never prepared a bolognese like that. But it sounds good- I may try a variation with I can find in the fridge. Also- on the mirepoix- carrots take a lot longer to cook than celery and celery quite a bit longer than onion. So if you have them separated, its good to add them one at a time so they all get done at the same time.Thanks for posting this. Its got me thinking...

Tomato Basil Pie4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped - small chunks 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped 1 medium onion sliced thin and sauteed8 oz mushrooms slice and sauteed1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell 1 cup grated mozzarella 1 cup grated parmesean or asiago1 cup mayonnaise Salt and pepper DirectionsBlind bake pie shell (without stuff in it) - directions on frozen pie shell package. Better homemade ...but works just fine.Preheat oven to 350 degrees FPut half the mozzarella in the bottom of the pie shell Layer the tomatoes, onions and mushroomsTop with the rest of the cheese and the parmesean/mayo mixture Bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes. Truly awesome.

Wow, another interesting dish. Sounds delicious, but really simple. if you ever have trouble with a blind pie shell bubbling up and losing its sahpe when you cook it- just add some dried beans to it before baking. It keeps the bottom flat and imparts no flavor. They are then easy to pour out after baking.

This one is a little different but its simple to make and is interesting. It has chorizo in it so that's good.Fried Chickpeas with Chorizo and Spinach 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, as dry as possibleSalt and black pepper4 ounces chorizo, diced1/2 pound spinach, roughly chopped1/4 cup sherry 1 to 2 cups bread crumbs.1. Heat the broiler. 2. Put three tablespoons of the oil in a skillet large enough to hold chickpeas in one layer over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add chickpeas and sprinkle with salt and pepper. 3. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown, about 10 minutes, then add chorizo. Continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until chickpeas are crisp; use a slotted spoon to remove chickpeas and chorizo from pan and set aside.4. Add the remainder of the 1/4 cup of oil to the pan; when it's hot, add spinach and sherry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook spinach over medium-low heat until very soft and the liquid has evaporated. Add chickpeas and chorizo back to the pan and toss quickly to combine; top with bread crumbs, drizzle with a bit more oil and run pan under the broiler to lightly brown the top. Serve hot or at room temperature.Yield: 4 servings.

This sounds very good and also different/intersting. Do you use the Portugese/Spanish chorizo that is in a casing and stays together when cooked or Mexican chorizo that comes all apart when cooked?
Since you have to dice it up I think you can use the kind you like the most or is most readily available.

Very interesting- with the milk, star anise and nutmeg- I've never prepared a bolognese like that. But it sounds good- I may try a variation with I can find in the fridge. Also- on the mirepoix- carrots take a lot longer to cook than celery and celery quite a bit longer than onion. So if you have them separated, its good to add them one at a time so they all get done at the same time.Thanks for posting this. Its got me thinking...
Star anise and fish sauce add an "umami" flavor element. I've started adding fish sauce to other meat-heavy dishes like chili and the super bowl gumbo I made, to good effect. Just don't overdo it -- I think I may have put a little too much in this sauce :shock:

Star anise and fish sauce add an "umami" flavor element. I've started adding fish sauce to other meat-heavy dishes like chili and the super bowl gumbo I made, to good effect. Just don't overdo it -- I think I may have put a little too much in this sauce :goodposting:
Yeah, I am a fan of fish sauce- kind of like anchovy paste- just a dab can really enhance overall flavor.Adding nutmeg is an old chef's trick. Just a tiny bit can add a real depth of flavor to most anything, but like fish sauce and anchovy paste- you need to be moderate in using it or it will overwhelm rather than compliment.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been looking to expand my Mexican repertoire lately. Anyone got any good recipes for me? I didn't see much on the blog- I did try the street tacos, which were tasty. I'd love to try some enchiladas with mole or something similar. I did an arroz con pollo that came out OK over the weekend, I'm gonna tinker with it a bit and will post the recipe after I get it to my liking.

On a related topic, I've been watching Mexican Made Easy on Food Network. The recipes I've tried from there so far from there haven't come out well. However, the host, Marcela Valladolid, has perhaps the most wondrous backside I've ever seen. It's like 2 parts sorority girl tight, one part latina bump. It's heavenly. I highly recommend checking it out. This is the closest to a rear pic I could find; it's bubblier than it appears in that photo.

No help on interesting mexican dishes at this time.

Though, it is fun to experiment with marinades for fajitas. Tequila, little lime, garlic, salt, and cilantro have always been good to me. Bought some Adobo just have yet to use it on anything.

The two lenten friday meals Ive been going with are easy. Cheese and mushroom quesadillas (butter the tortilla, put it in pan...add cheese and mushrooms (maybe a little garlic powder, cumin, and cilantro mixed in) cover with another buttered tortilla then cooked til brown. Kids call it the mexican grilled cheese and don't mind the mushrooms in it...trying it with spinach this week).

Other is a simple brown butter and garlic sauce with angel hair pasta. Usually saute some mushrooms as well for me and my wife to add (kids don't like them in this).

Then serve with broccoli on the side (that I drench with a garlic butter). Sometimes put the broc. in the pasta at the end too.

• 1 month later...

This thread hasn't been bumped in a while so here is a simple salmon recipe:

Pan-Roasted Salmon with Soy-Ginger Glaze

SERVINGS: 4

Ingredients

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Four 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets

Freshly ground pepper

Cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce and ginger and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the honey and mustard.

2.Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet. Season the salmon with pepper and add it to the skillet, skinned side up. Cook over high heat until golden and crusty, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the salmon and spoon the ginger-soy glaze on top. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake the salmon for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Using a slotted spatula, transfer the salmon fillets to plates, garnish with the cilantro and serve.

I've been looking to expand my Mexican repertoire lately. Anyone got any good recipes for me? I didn't see much on the blog- I did try the street tacos, which were tasty. I'd love to try some enchiladas with mole or something similar. I did an arroz con pollo that came out OK over the weekend, I'm gonna tinker with it a bit and will post the recipe after I get it to my liking.

On a related topic, I've been watching Mexican Made Easy on Food Network. The recipes I've tried from there so far from there haven't come out well. However, the host, Marcela Valladolid, has perhaps the most wondrous backside I've ever seen. It's like 2 parts sorority girl tight, one part latina bump. It's heavenly. I highly recommend checking it out. This is the closest to a rear pic I could find; it's bubblier than it appears in that photo.

Here is a good taco recipe:

Soft Pork Tacos with Spicy Black Beans

BEANS

1 1/2 cups dried black beans (10 1/2 ounces), soaked overnight in cold water and drained

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced

1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon dried oregano

Salt and freshly ground pepper

PORK

3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced

1 habanero chile, seeded and minced

1 large serrano chile, seeded and minced

1 bay leaf

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

One 1-pound pork loin roast, trimmed of excess fat

Warm corn tortillas and salsa, for serving

Directions

1.PREPARE THE BEANS: In a large saucepan, cover the beans with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2.In a medium skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add to the beans, along with the tomato, oregano and enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 hours longer, replenishing the water if necessary.

3.MEANWHILE, COOK THE PORK: Preheat the oven to 300. In a small enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the broth with the garlic, onion, habanero and serrano chiles, bay leaf, cumin and » teaspoon each of salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Season the pork loin with salt and pepper and add it to the casserole. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, turning the pork once, until tender. Transfer the pork to a plate and cover with plastic wrap until cool enough to handle.

4.Remove the bay leaf. Shred the pork into strips and stir into the broth. Season with salt. Fill the tortillas with pork and serve with the black beans and salsa.

More Mexican:

Garlic and Pasilla Chile Soup

Ingredients

3 large dried pasilla chiles

1 quart hot water

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

1 head garlic, cloves peeled and coarsely chopped

1 large tomato, cut into 1-inch dice

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican

Salt

1 cup 1/2-inch dice of country bread or baguette

1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream

1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice

1/4 cup cilantro leaves

Directions

1.In a large bowl, cover the chiles with the hot water; set a small plate over the chiles to keep them submerged. Let soak until softened, about 20 minutes. Strain and reserve the soaking liquid. Stem, seed and coarsely chop the chiles.

2.Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped chiles and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato, oregano, a pinch of salt and the strained chile soaking liquid and bring to a boil. Cover the soup and simmer gently over low heat for 20 minutes.

3.Meanwhile, in a cake pan, toss the diced baguette with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread in an even layer. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes.

4.Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan, bring to a simmer and season with salt. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with the crème fraîche, avocado, cilantro leaves and croutons and serve.

Another Mexican dish:

Red Chile–Chicken Enchiladas

SERVINGS: 8

SAUCE

3 each of guajillo and ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded

3 cups hot water

1 medium onion, quartered

3 large garlic cloves

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce (20 ounces)

1 cup water

ENCHILADAS

1 large onion, thinly sliced (3 cups)

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

4 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

3/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (3 cups)

Vegetable oil for frying

16 corn tortillas

Chopped red onion, cilantro, hot sauce and sour cream, for serving

Directions

1.Make the sauce: In a microwave-safe bowl, cover the chiles with the hot water. Microwave at high power for 2 minutes, until softened. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chiles to a blender. Add 1 cup of the chile soaking liquid and the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano and puree.

2.In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderately low heat. Add the tomato sauce and the water. Strain the red chile sauce through a fine mesh sieve into the saucepan, pressing and scraping to remove the skins and any stray seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of 2 shallow baking dishes.

3.Meanwhile, make the enchiladas: Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Add the broth and cook, stirring, until the onions are very soft and the broth has evaporated, 10 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl; let cool. Stir in the chicken, cumin, cilantro and half of the shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

4.Wipe out the skillet and heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in it. Add the tortillas 1 at a time and fry over low heat just until pliable, about 10 seconds each. Transfer to a paper towel–lined baking sheet and pat dry. Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken filling onto each tortilla and roll up into a tight cylinder. Place the cylinders in the baking dishes, seam side down. Spoon the remaining chile sauce on top, spreading it to cover the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

5.Cover the enchiladas with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until heated through and bubbling; remove the foil halfway through cooking. Let the enchiladas cool for 10 minutes. Serve with chopped red onion, cilantro, hot sauce and sour cream.

Make Ahead

The dish can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before baking.

I'm working on a few dishes that I keep tweaking. I'll post the full recipes when I've got them how I like it.

[*]grilled beef tenderloin with a spice crust, lobster mac & cheese, mixed greens with strawberries and toasted walnuts with a cinnamon and cayenne glaze

[*]grilled teriyaki chicken over a bed of lemon infused rice topped with a kiwi, grilled mango and cilantro chutney/salsa, grilled asparagus with grilled garlic cloves and almond accents

[*]seared soy tuna steaks over finely sliced golden pears topped with capers and diced mandarin oranges

[*] bacon wrapped filet tips over a drizzle of peppercorn alfredo sauce, roasted red potatos with carmelized onions, fennel seeds, basil and shaved parmesean

Here is a good, simple vegetable side dish:

Bok Choy with Garlic

Ingredients

1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 pounds bok choy—stems cut into 1-inch lengths, leafy tops left about 4 inches long (or baby bok choy, left whole)

Directions

1.In a bowl, whisk the stock with the cornstarch. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over high heat until fragrant, 20 seconds. Add the bok choy and stir-fry until the leaves start to wilt, 2 minutes. Add the stock and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, 30 seconds. Remove the bok choy from the heat, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Thanks, RC94. I'm definitely gonna add these to my list and give them a go soon.

Last weekend I made Carne Adovada for the first time. Delicious. I used this recipe, and made a couple tweaks:

1. Halved the salt, and added a tablespoon of Adobo seasoning and a teaspoon of this delicious verde hot sauce.

2. After marinating overnight, I cooked it in the slow cooker instead of low and slow in the oven.

3. After about 4.5 hours in the slow cooker, I shredded it with a fork (it fell apart on contact, of course) and let it sit for another 1/2 hour.

Definitely will make it again. It's absolutely delicious and can be used a variety of ways- over rice, in a sandwich, for tacos, etc. Next time I'll try using rehydrated pureed New Mexico chiles, a la Smail's chili, instead of the chili powder. Just to make it more "authentically New Mexico."

Any New Mexicans have any other advice for me?

Here's a different way to make broccoli that is outstanding. Once you try this you certainly won't be steaming it ever again.

This is just an eyeball recipe.

1 head broccoli per person.

Pre- Heat oven to 425.

Cut into broccoli florets. Wash and dry thoroughly...I put it in a salad spinner.

Toss broccoli with a light coating of olive oil.

Spread broccoli on a cookie sheet and bake in 425 degree over for about 20 minutes...turning 1x.

Broccoli is done when you can see a nice light brown crust on top of most of the florets.

Remove from oven. Salt and pepper to taste. Zest lemon peel on broccoli, squeeze some lemon juice on there too, and while you're at it add a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.

Made some easy and beautiful linguine with red clam sauce the other night.

1lb linguine

1/2 cup olive oil

3 big garlic cloves chopped or sliced

1 cup white wine

1 cup clam juice

1 cup whole peeled tomatoes

Dozen little neck clams

Saute the garlic in the oil until lightly golden. Add the white wine and cook it just under boiling for about 5-7 minutes. Add the clam juice and cook it just under boiling for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and break them up with a wooden spoon. Cook them just under boiling about 5-7 minutes. Add the clams and cover, on a medium heat. Keep checking back and when they all are open up, remove them from the pan of sauce. Get your pasta cooking at this point. Remove the clams from the shells and roughly chop them up, then add them to the sauce and cook on low. When pasta is appx 2 minutes away from being done, strain it, reserving a cup or two of the pasta water. Add the linguine to the sauce and toss with a sprinkle of olive oil, cooking on medium heat for appx 2-3 minutes or until pasta is cooked to desired doneness. Add the pasta water as needed, to keep the sauce loose.

I have lots to update. I will try to soon, but no promises until June as these are my busiest weeks.

Tipsy-I have a feeling I'm gonna regret this post, but I've gotten so much from the blog, I feel like I should put something in ...if you'd like, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
  • 4 weeks later...

Stir-Fried Beef and Sugar Snap Peas with Sesame Oil and Seeds

Ingredients

1 pound lean beef, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips

3 tablespoons tamari or dark soy sauce

2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, more for drizzling

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed

3 fat scallions

2/3 cup chicken broth

2 1/2 tablespoons Madeira or sweet sherry

1 tablespoon cornstarch

3 tablespoons peanut or olive oil

4 garlic cloves, minced

Rice, for serving

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Sriracha or other hot sauce, or rice wine vinegar and chili oil, for garnish.

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix beef, 2 tablespoons tamari, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. Thinly slice sugar snap peas crosswise into disks. Thinly slice scallions, reserving dark green parts for garnish.

3. In a small bowl, mix chicken broth, Madeira, 2 tablespoons water, remaining 1 tablespoon tamari and cornstarch.

4. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When pan is hot, stir-fry beef until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer beef and any liquid to a plate.

5. Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and when hot, add garlic and white and light green scallion parts until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add sugar snap peas and chicken broth mixture, lower heat to medium and cover. Let cook for 2 minutes. Transfer beef and juices to skillet and stir-fry 2 minutes. Serve over rice, garnished with more sesame oil, sesame seeds, dark parts of scallions, and hot sauce or vinegar and chili oil.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread needs to get bumped periodically, so here is another recipe:

Grilled Miso Shrimp

Ingredients

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons yellow miso

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger

1 large garlic clove, minced

1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar

1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined

3 scallions, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon sambal oelek

Directions

1.Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of the lime juice with the miso, vegetable oil, ginger, garlic and brown sugar. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Thread the shrimp and scallions on eight 8-inch skewers.

2.Grill the shrimp over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 5 minutes.

3.In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the sambal oelek and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Serve the shrimp with the sambal mayonnaise.

I have lots to update. I will try to soon, but no promises until June as these are my busiest weeks.

Tipsy-I have a feeling I'm gonna regret this post, but I've gotten so much from the blog, I feel like I should put something in ...if you'd like, I'd be happy to lend a hand.
If you sign up, I will give you mod powers there. So far the only user I see besides myself is Jersey Tough Guys

Anybody have a bleu cheese crust recipe for steaks? Or horseradish? Or gorgonzola? Or any crusts?

I usually prefer a pepper crust with crumbled bleu cheese on top. Or Oscar style with some grilled asparagus and crab meat with hollandaise sauce.

Anybody have a bleu cheese crust recipe for steaks? Or horseradish? Or gorgonzola? Or any crusts?

It's not a crust, but here is an idea:Grilled NY Strip:2 tablespoons kosher salt 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves Canola oil 4 NY Strip steaks (12-ounces each) removed from the refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling 3/4 pound wedge blue cheese, room temperature 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream Handful parsley sprigs Heat the grill to high. Mix together the salt, pepper and thyme in a small bowl. Brush the steaks with oil on both sides and season with the salt mixture. Grill steaks until golden brown and slightly charred on both sides and cooked to medium-rare doneness.Just before the steaks are done, use a fork to mash the cheese with some of the cream, so that it is chunky but a bit creamy. Mound some on each steak, and let melt very briefly, so the steaks don't overcook. Remove to a platter and let rest 5 minutes before serving. Top with parsley sprigs and serve.

This is probably closer to what you are looking for:Bleu Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon 4 ServingsIngredients2 tablespoons bleu cheese crumbles1/4 cup plain bread crumbs 2 teaspoons fines herbs1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon 4 (6-ounce) filet mignon steaks Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 cup cognac 1 cup organic beef stock 1 teaspoon crushed garlic 1/4 cup frozen chopped onionDirectionsPreheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.In a small mixing bowl, combine bleu cheese, bread crumbs, herbs, and 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil; set aside.Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large saute pan and heat over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper and to add pan, but do not crowd. Sear 1 to 2 minutes per side just to brown. Remove pan from heat and transfer steaks onto prepared baking sheet.Top each steak with 1/4 of blue cheese mixture. Finish cooking steaks in preheated oven for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 6 minutes for medium, and 8 minutes for well done.Return pan to stove and deglaze with cognac by scraping bits from bottom of pan. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce liquid by half.

If you like artichokes, this is a good one:

Braised Artichokes

Ingredients:

4 medium artichokes

4 tablespoons butter ( 1/2 stick)

1 cup chicken stock, or more as needed

Zest and juice of 1 lemon

Directions:

1. Cut each of the artichokes in half; remove the toughest outer leaves, use a spoon to remove the choke, and trim the bottom.

2. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. When it melts and foam subsides, add artichokes, cut side down. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add stock (it should come about halfway up the sides of the artichokes), bring to a boil, and cover; turn heat to medium-low. Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender, checking every 5 or 10 minutes to make sure there is enough liquid in the pan, adding more stock as necessary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and transfer artichokes to serving platter.

3. Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a sauce. Stir in lemon zest and juice and remaining tablespoon butter; taste and adjust seasoning. Serve artichokes drizzled with sauce.

• 1 month later...

Time to bump this again.

Italian-Sausage Burgers with Garlicky Spinach

10 ounces baby spinach

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)

Salt

1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausages (or a combination of both), casings removed

4 slices of provolone cheese

1/4 cup sun-dried-tomato pesto

4 round ciabatta rolls, split and toasted

Directions

1.In a large skillet, bring 1/4 inch of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 1 minute; drain and press out as much water as possible. Wipe out the skillet.

2.In the same skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic and anchovy paste and cook over high heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the spinach, season with salt and stir just until coated, about 10 seconds.

3.Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Using slightly moistened hands, form the sausage meat into four 4-inch patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Brush the burgers with oil and grill over moderate heat until browned and crusty on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers. Top with the cheese and grill until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes longer. Spread the pesto on the rolls. Top with the burgers and spinach and serve.

Pasta with Creamy Salt Cod Sauce

Ingredients

8 ounces salt cod fillet, rinsed

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, coarsely chopped

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1 cup dry white wine

1 Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

3 scallions, thinly sliced

One 4-ounce piece of prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch dice

1 cup frozen peas, thawed

1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley

1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

1 pound penne

Directions

1.Put the salt cod fillet in a large pot of cold water, cover and refrigerate for 2 days. Drain the fish and pat dry. Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces.

2.In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the onion and half of the garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the salt cod and cook until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the potato and 2 cups of water and simmer until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cod and vegetables to a blender along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Blend until very smooth.

3.Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it. Add the scallions and the remaining garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the prosciutto, peas, parsley and lemon zest. Stir in the cod puree, cover and keep warm.

4.In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the penne until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta and cooking water to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the pasta is coated with a thick creamy sauce, about 2 minutes. Transfer the pasta to bowls and serve right away.

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous

Serves 4

Ingredients

4 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves (2 1/2 pounds)

Kosher salt

1 tablespoons harissa

1/2 cup pitted green olives

1/2 preserved lemon, pulp discarded and peel thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup couscous

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Cook the chicken, skin side down, over moderately high heat until the skin is browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and spread the skin side with the harissa.

2.Add the olives, preserved lemon peel and garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the couscous and stir until coated with oil. Add the chicken broth and season with salt. Nestle the chicken in the couscous skin side up.

3.Bring the broth to a simmer. Cover and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the couscous has absorbed the broth.

4.Transfer the chicken to plates. Fluff the couscous with a fork and season with salt. Spoon the couscous beside the chicken, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

Spaghetti with Artichokes and Pancetta

Serves 6

Ingredients

1 lemon, halved

8 baby artichokes (about 1 pound)

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

One 2-ounce piece of pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice

1/2 cup dry white wine

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1 pound spaghetti

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving

Directions

1.Fill a large bowl with water. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon halves, then add the lemon halves to the water. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, peel off the dark green outer leaves. Cut off the top fourth of the artichoke; peel and trim the stem. Slice the artichoke lengthwise 1/8 inch thick and drop into the lemon water. Repeat with the remaining artichokes.

2.In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and lardo and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain the artichokes; discard the lemon. Add the artichokes to the saucepan, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add the white wine, cover and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

3.Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the pasta and the reserved cooking water to the artichokes and toss over moderate heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the 1/4 cup of cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve the pasta, passing more grated cheese at the table.

If you like artichokes, this is a good one:Braised ArtichokesIngredients:4 medium artichokes 4 tablespoons butter ( 1/2 stick) 1 cup chicken stock, or more as needed Salt and freshly ground pepper Zest and juice of 1 lemonDirections:1. Cut each of the artichokes in half; remove the toughest outer leaves, use a spoon to remove the choke, and trim the bottom. 2. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. When it melts and foam subsides, add artichokes, cut side down. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add stock (it should come about halfway up the sides of the artichokes), bring to a boil, and cover; turn heat to medium-low. Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender, checking every 5 or 10 minutes to make sure there is enough liquid in the pan, adding more stock as necessary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and transfer artichokes to serving platter. 3. Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to a sauce. Stir in lemon zest and juice and remaining tablespoon butter; taste and adjust seasoning. Serve artichokes drizzled with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.

I have been making this dish and I really like it. I made a small change to it by adding a little dry white wine to the sauce (add it in first). It's been coming out great.

Archived