Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FBG's Kitchen: The Blog

Sesame-Crusted Salmon (or Tuna or whatever fish you prefer)

Ingredients

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons dry sherry

1/2 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch

3 tablespoons water

1 egg white

2 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces

1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/4 cup cooking oil

Directions

1.In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry, chicken broth, sugar, ginger, and garlic. In another small bowl, stir together the 2 teaspoons cornstarch and the water.

2.Whisk together the egg white and the 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Brush the skinless side of the salmon with the egg-white mixture and then dip it into the sesame seeds to coat.

3.In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Put the salmon in the pan, sesame-seed side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 3 minutes longer for a 1-inch-thick fillet. Remove.

4.Pour any oil from the pan. Add the soy-sauce mixture. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring. Whisk in the cornstarch-and-water mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute longer. Serve the salmon with the sauce poured around it.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this recipe for blondies from America's Test Kitchen. Easy to make and awesome tasting!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar

12 tbsp unsalted butter- melted

2 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Turn on oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13 x 9 pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and set aside.

Whisk the brown sugar and melted butter in a medium bowl until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips and turn batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.

Bake until the top is shiny and cracked and feels firm to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Tranfer pan to wire rack and cool completely.

Variation- Congo Bars:

Toast 1 1/2 cups unsweetened on a rimmed baking sheet on the middle oven rack at 350 degrees, stirring 2 or 3 times until light golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to small bowl to cool. Follow the Blondie recipe and add coconut and 1 cup toasted pecans (chopped) with chocolate chips.

Fat Tuesday is coming up and if there's baking interest I could post the recipe for a traditional Fat Tuesday Bun from Sweden. It's estimated that over 2,500,000 of them are consumed in the days leading up to lent. http://www.sweden.se/upload/Sweden_se/engl...la/semlor_2.jpg

um...please....now!!! (lil late i know)

Flageolets* and Sausage

This is a terrific one-pot dutch oven recipe; great flavor, easy to make.

[*]1/2 onion, thinly sliced

[*]3 cloves garlic, chopped

[*]1 14 oz can flageolets (or other white bean)

[*]1 tsp. thyme, dried or 1 Tbsp. fresh

[*]1/2 tsp. celery seeds

[*]salt & pepper to taste

[*]2-3 jumbo sausage links (or half-dozen small sweet italian sausage)

[*]1-2 small or 1 large summer zucchini, cut in medalions

[*]3 fresh tomatoes, chopped

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray inside of Dutch oven and lid with non-stick or coat with olive oil.

Place onion and garlic in base of pot. Drain beans and pour into pot in a smooth layer. Sprinkle with thyme and celery seeds. Season with salt & pepper. Arrange sausage links atop beans (ASIDE: we have small children, so I usually chop into 1/2 inch pieces).

Toss in zucchini and top with tomatoes. Note you do not need any broth or water; you will get plenty of natural broth-like liquid from the ingredients. Season to taste, bake 35 minutes.

*may substitute navy beans or great northern white beans, or any other fav bean like cannellini, lima, black, kidney, et al. You can also sub any sausage (turkey or chicken to make it low-fat), my personal favs are sweet Italian or applewood-smoked.

The aroma from this simple dish will knock your socks off; good summertime meal because other than doing a little chopping, prep time is minimal.

Here is an easy one for the healthy FBG.

2 Ripe Haas Avacados

1/2 Red Onion

6-10 Roma Tomatoes

1/4 cup of your favorite pepper

1 Bunch of Cilantro

Juice of 2 Limes

Salt

Dice first 4 ingredients

Chop Cilantro

Toss together with Lime Juice and Salt

Enjoy.

ETA: You can change the amount of ingredient you use based on your taste preference.

I didn't do a search so this may be somewhat of a :honda: (though still likely a distinct recipe):

Italian Meatballs

I played around this one before settling on this combo for the best flavor, and they are great for eating for a casual dinner or to make on any special occasion. If you’re feeding a large crowd, make sure to make a lot because these are going to disappear. They're like shrimp; no matter how many you put out, your guests will eat every one.

I usually bake these in the oven, but you can also simmer them in pasta sauce for about 40 minutes and you will be amazed with the perfect texture it gives them. They go great with noodles and pasta sauce topped with mozzarella or parmesan cheese. These meatballs can also be pre-made and then frozen, so you can just pull them out of the freezer and cook them whenever you like. My young children love eating them, and they're a better source of protein than a lot of kids meats (e.g., deep fried chicken nuggets or hot dogs).

[*]1 ½ pounds of lean beef

(a lot of recipes will suggest ground chix or pork or use a mixture to make it low fat; I'm gonna just say no, that will blow the whole flavor thing, and its not hard to find very lean ground beef these days)

[*]¼ cup parmesan cheese

[*]1 large slightly beaten egg

[*]½ cup Italian breadcrumbs (personal fav is Whole Foods brand from the bakery)

[*]2 tablespoons of minced garlic

[*]2 teaspoons of salt (can use less)

[*]1 teaspoon of black pepper

[*]½ cup of milk

[*]1 teaspoon dried oregano

[*]2 teaspoons of dried parsley

Mix all of the ingredients into a large bowl.

Shape the mixture into small-medium sized meatballs (ASIDE - another reason I prefer ground beef; less sticky, easier to work with). At this point if you don’t want to cook these right now you could put them in the freezer for later.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, and place the meatballs on a baking sheet.

Put your meatballs in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Another cooking method is to simmer the meatballs in pasta sauce for about 40 minutes. This will give them great flavor and texture.

Enjoy!

I didn't do a search so this may be somewhat of a :honda: (though still likely a distinct recipe):

Italian Meatballs

I played around this one before settling on this combo for the best flavor, and they are great for eating for a casual dinner or to make on any special occasion. If you’re feeding a large crowd, make sure to make a lot because these are going to disappear. They're like shrimp; no matter how many you put out, your guests will eat every one.

I usually bake these in the oven, but you can also simmer them in pasta sauce for about 40 minutes and you will be amazed with the perfect texture it gives them. They go great with noodles and pasta sauce topped with mozzarella or parmesan cheese. These meatballs can also be pre-made and then frozen, so you can just pull them out of the freezer and cook them whenever you like. My young children love eating them, and they're a better source of protein than a lot of kids meats (e.g., deep fried chicken nuggets or hot dogs).

[*]1 ½ pounds of lean beef

(a lot of recipes will suggest ground chix or pork or use a mixture to make it low fat; I'm gonna just say no, that will blow the whole flavor thing, and its not hard to find very lean ground beef these days)

[*]¼ cup parmesan cheese

[*]1 large slightly beaten egg

[*]½ cup Italian breadcrumbs (personal fav is Whole Foods brand from the bakery)

[*]2 tablespoons of minced garlic

[*]2 teaspoons of salt (can use less)

[*]1 teaspoon of black pepper

[*]½ cup of milk

[*]1 teaspoon dried oregano

[*]2 teaspoons of dried parsley

Mix all of the ingredients into a large bowl.

Shape the mixture into small-medium sized meatballs (ASIDE - another reason I prefer ground beef; less sticky, easier to work with). At this point if you don’t want to cook these right now you could put them in the freezer for later.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, and place the meatballs on a baking sheet.

Put your meatballs in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Another cooking method is to simmer the meatballs in pasta sauce for about 40 minutes. This will give them great flavor and texture.

Enjoy!

Perfect timing, I was going to make meatballs tonight for dinner. Thanks!

Garlic Wine Sauce

Ingredients

3 tablespoons minced shallots

3 tablespoons minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 turns freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 cups veal stock or chicken stock

1/2 cup dry red wine (or dry white wine depending on what you plan on using it on)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

Directions

Combine the shallots, garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir in the stock and the wine and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for 15 minutes. Swirl in the butter, remove from the heat, and continue to whisk in the butter until thoroughly incorporated.

Alton Brown did an excellent "Good Eats" show about cutlery that you amateur chefs should find helpful and informative. Here it is on Youtube (in 2 parts):

Part 1

Part 2

:goodposting:

I've got this Good Eats episode and the one on oils permanently set aside on my DVR. I've watched them both a couple times.

Just out of curiosity- you refer to us "amateur chefs" as if you're not one of them. Are you a trained chef? You've certainly made some impressive contributions to the thread. Just wondering.

Alton Brown did an excellent "Good Eats" show about cutlery that you amateur chefs should find helpful and informative. Here it is on Youtube (in 2 parts):

Part 1

Part 2

:shrug:

I've got this Good Eats episode and the one on oils permanently set aside on my DVR. I've watched them both a couple times.

Just out of curiosity- you refer to us "amateur chefs" as if you're not one of them. Are you a trained chef? You've certainly made some impressive contributions to the thread. Just wondering.

I am an amateur chef and didn't mean to imply that I wasn't. I am certainly an enthusiastic and active amateur (enough to where I have seriously considered the career change), but no formal training at this point. Cooking is sort of my artistic outlet and it's great to share with the girlfriend and my friends (and they appreciate it a lot). The cleaning up part is where I run into trouble...
  • 4 weeks later...

simple recipe I am doing today for a 1.75 lb pork tenderloin:

Cook Time: 1 hourIngredients: * 1 pork tenderloin, cleaned and trimmed * 3 slices of bacon * 1 tablespoon of garlic powder * 1 teaspoon of Lawry's Seasoned Salt * 1 teaspoon dried crumbled leaf basil * 1/2 teaspoon dried crumbled leaf oregano * 1 teaspoon black pepper * olive oilPreparation:Combine garlic powder, seasoned salt, basil, oregano, and black pepper.Rub seasoning all over the pork tenderloin. Wrap pork with bacon and secure with toothpicks. Coat with olive oil. Place in a 9x13 pan and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 60 minutes, or until pork reaches about 155°. Remove and wrap in foil, let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serves 2 to 4.

Everything + bacon = better.

Cook Time: 1 hour...

OMG - five stars, strongly recommended, you have to try this one, et al.It doesn't get any easier prep time wise. 10 minutes tops, and that is if you are slow.Throw it in, cook for one hour, let it sit for 10 minutes, carve it, and enjoy.Great savory, rich flavor (and smells great cooking), very moist even though I cooked it uncovered.Only thing I varied on was I used six strips of bacon so I could cover it from end to end.

Cook Time: 1 hour...

OMG - five stars, strongly recommended, you have to try this one, et al.It doesn't get any easier prep time wise. 10 minutes tops, and that is if you are slow.Throw it in, cook for one hour, let it sit for 10 minutes, carve it, and enjoy.Great savory, rich flavor (and smells great cooking), very moist even though I cooked it uncovered.Only thing I varied on was I used six strips of bacon so I could cover it from end to end.
pork loin is an underrated gem.

How in the world do you guys control your oil temp for cast-iron skillet fried chicken? It's maddening to me.

Me too--with that little oil there's too much of a temp drop imo. While I know several folks who can do an excellent Southern fried chicken that way--I can't, so I bought one of those electric turkey fryers so the temp remains high when dropping the pieces in. (don't use it for turkeys though--only gas)My wife, on the other hand, does an excellent chile rellenos on the stovetop--and with the eggwash that was a recipe I couldn't work in a deep fryer.
  • 2 months later...

This thread needs to be bumped again.

I am not a big dessert person, but this is one of my all time favorites:

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

Pie Dough (if you want to make it yourself. If not, store bought is fine):

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch dice

1/4 cup ice water

Filling:

1 1/2 cups pecan halves

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces

1/2 cup light brown sugar

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Pinch of kosher salt

Unsweetened whipped cream

Directions

1.MAKE THE DOUGH In a food processor, combine the 2 cups of flour with the sugar and salt; process to mix. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and process until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas. With the machine on, slowly pour in the ice water and process just until it's incorporated. Transfer the dough to a bowl and knead a few times. Pat the dough into a 1-inch-thick disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate the dough until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.

2.Let the dough soften slightly. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a round, about 1/8 inch thick. Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and unroll it over a 9-inch glass pie plate. Press the dough into the pie plate, being careful not to stretch it. Using scissors, trim the overhang to 1 1/2 inches. Fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate the pie shell until firm, at least 30 minutes.

3.Preheat the oven to 375°. poke little holes in the chilled pie shell all over with the tines of a fork. Line the shell with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Fold the foil over the weights so the side of the pie shell is exposed. Bake the shell for 25 minutes, or until the side and rim are golden. Carefully remove the foil and continue baking the shell until the bottom is beginning to brown, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.

4.MAKE THE FILLING Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, stirring once. Transfer the pecans to a plate. In a small microwave-safe glass bowl, melt the butter with the chocolate in a microwave oven. Stir until blended and smooth. Scrape the chocolate mixture into a medium bowl and add the brown sugar. Stir in the eggs, corn syrup, vanilla and kosher salt, then stir in the pecans.

5.Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set in the center. Let the pie cool completely. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd try out a new idea for my own benefit- Iron Footballguychefs:

I'm cleaning out the fridge of all perishables before leaving town for Xmas vacation tomorrow. Most of the proteins are gone. All that's left is one big, juicy chicken boob. How should I cook it for dinner tonight?

Restrictions:

1. I'll be going home and then to the gym, then back home to shower and cook/eat. So I can marinate, but only for an hour or so.

2. I have a pretty stocked pantry of herbs, spices, sauces, oils and vinegars, plus the usual staples (garlic, onions, rice, canned veggies). No other fresh ingredients.

ETA: There's also a bunch of cheeses. Shredded Mozz and a shredded Mexican blend and some hunks of this and that.

Easy Recipe for Sugar Coated Pecans, they taste great, especially this time of the year.

1 egg white

1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract

1 pound pecan halves

1 cup white sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease one baking sheet.

2. In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white and vanilla extract until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.

3. Add pecans to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

Best when served warm.

Thought I'd try out a new idea for my own benefit- Iron Footballguychefs:I'm cleaning out the fridge of all perishables before leaving town for Xmas vacation tomorrow. Most of the proteins are gone. All that's left is one big, juicy chicken boob. How should I cook it for dinner tonight?Restrictions:1. I'll be going home and then to the gym, then back home to shower and cook/eat. So I can marinate, but only for an hour or so.2. I have a pretty stocked pantry of herbs, spices, sauces, oils and vinegars, plus the usual staples (garlic, onions, rice, canned veggies). No other fresh ingredients.ETA: There's also a bunch of cheeses. Shredded Mozz and a shredded Mexican blend and some hunks of this and that.

No luck. Oh well.Maybe the thread bump will produce some new recipes to try out during the "dead week" next week.

Thought I'd try out a new idea for my own benefit- Iron Footballguychefs:I'm cleaning out the fridge of all perishables before leaving town for Xmas vacation tomorrow. Most of the proteins are gone. All that's left is one big, juicy chicken boob. How should I cook it for dinner tonight?Restrictions:1. I'll be going home and then to the gym, then back home to shower and cook/eat. So I can marinate, but only for an hour or so.2. I have a pretty stocked pantry of herbs, spices, sauces, oils and vinegars, plus the usual staples (garlic, onions, rice, canned veggies). No other fresh ingredients.ETA: There's also a bunch of cheeses. Shredded Mozz and a shredded Mexican blend and some hunks of this and that.

No luck. Oh well.Maybe the thread bump will produce some new recipes to try out during the "dead week" next week.
Got black beans?My favorite rub for chicken - paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt or powder, onion salt or powder, salt pepper, oregano.Butterfly, stuff it with the mexican blend cheese, grill it (foreman? or bake it if you must) and top with sour cream and salsa if you got it.i use the same sauce to make my rice (add it to the water before you cover the rice), when it's done add the black beans and a little salsa or hot sauce if you have it.one of my favorite quick and easy dishes.

Got black beans?My favorite rub for chicken - paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt or powder, onion salt or powder, salt pepper, oregano.Butterfly, stuff it with the mexican blend cheese, grill it (foreman? or bake it if you must) and top with sour cream and salsa if you got it.i use the same sauce to make my rice (add it to the water before you cover the rice), when it's done add the black beans and a little salsa or hot sauce if you have it.one of my favorite quick and easy dishes.
'Sure do. I assume the beans go in with the cheese to stuff?Thanks, I'll give this a go. No grill, but I'll make do with a Foreman or just bake.

'Sure do. I assume the beans go in with the cheese to stuff?Thanks, I'll give this a go. No grill, but I'll make do with a Foreman or just bake.
No sorry, just add the beans to the rice at the end of it's cooking. So it's sort of a mexican rubbed chicken breast with a mexican style rice and beans.

No sorry, just add the beans to the rice at the end of it's cooking. So it's sort of a mexican rubbed chicken breast with a mexican style rice and beans.
Gotcha. Thanks. Happy holidays.

Thought I'd try out a new idea for my own benefit- Iron Footballguychefs:

I'm cleaning out the fridge of all perishables before leaving town for Xmas vacation tomorrow. Most of the proteins are gone. All that's left is one big, juicy chicken boob. How should I cook it for dinner tonight?

Restrictions:

1. I'll be going home and then to the gym, then back home to shower and cook/eat. So I can marinate, but only for an hour or so.

2. I have a pretty stocked pantry of herbs, spices, sauces, oils and vinegars, plus the usual staples (garlic, onions, rice, canned veggies). No other fresh ingredients.

ETA: There's also a bunch of cheeses. Shredded Mozz and a shredded Mexican blend and some hunks of this and that.

No luck. Oh well.

Maybe the thread bump will produce some new recipes to try out during the "dead week" next week.

Have you checked the blog with the organized recipes? There are tons of chicken recipes there. http://footballguychefs.wordpress.com/

Recipes to add from my current Christmas Eve project. I'm ripping off some of my moms favorite NOLA restaurant appetizers from the likes of Emeril, Commanders, Bayona, etc...

Spicy Shrimp with Black Bean Cakes

Tasso Shrimp Hennican

Pepper Crusted Tuna with Wasabi Hoisin Dipping Sauce

Smoked Mushrooms and Tasso Cream

Oyster & Artichoke soup

Alligator Beignets with Remoulade sauce

oh and gumbo of some sort.

Recipes to add from my current Christmas Eve project. I'm ripping off some of my moms favorite NOLA restaurant appetizers from the likes of Emeril, Commanders, Bayona, etc...Spicy Shrimp with Black Bean CakesTasso Shrimp HennicanPepper Crusted Tuna with Wasabi Hoisin Dipping SauceSmoked Mushrooms and Tasso CreamOyster & Artichoke soupAlligator Beignets with Remoulade sauceoh and gumbo of some sort.

Bring it my Brother.J

Before I forget to post it until next year:

Cajun Stuffing (this is for a half batch as the full batch is ginormous)

8 ounces sausage (I use 1/2 Jimmy Dean spicy sausage log)

1 bell pepper (red is my preference)

3 green onions cut into 1/4 inch pieces

1/3 bunch of fresh parsley

3 celery stalks chopped

1/3 cup butter

8 ounces raw medium shrimp (peeled, no tail, and de-veined). I go with cutting them in 3 pieces each

1 1/2 cups chicken broth (you can use water, but the broth makes it better IMO)

1 teaspoon garlic flakes (dried)

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use way more than this)

1/2 pack cornbread stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is what I use)

1/2 pack herb stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is what I use)

In a large pot or Dutch Oven (giggle), cook sausage until lightly browned over medium heat. Saute the vegetables in sausage drippings. Add butter and stir until fully melted.

Add shrimp and cook for 3 or four minutes until pink and opaque. Turn the heat off, but leave the pot on the burner. Add the chicken broth and spices.

Add both 1/2 bags of stuffing and mix into liquid mixture. Blend all ingredients well.

Lightly spoon stuffing into a greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes at most. I like to splash the top of the stuffing with a little bit more chicken stock right before it goes in the oven.

This has become a favorite in the Osaurus household. Enjoy!

Recipes to add from my current Christmas Eve project. I'm ripping off some of my moms favorite NOLA restaurant appetizers from the likes of Emeril, Commanders, Bayona, etc...

Spicy Shrimp with Black Bean Cakes

Tasso Shrimp Hennican

Pepper Crusted Tuna with Wasabi Hoisin Dipping Sauce

Smoked Mushrooms and Tasso Cream

Oyster & Artichoke soup

Alligator Beignets with Remoulade sauce

oh and gumbo of some sort.

Bring it my Brother.

J

I brought it indeed. Not all of it, but I it was lots of fun and very well received.

I skipped the O&A soup (sister is making it for today), gumbo, and alligator. Prime Rib roast instead :confused:

Recipes to follow.... Merry Christmas Everyone!

Grilled Shrimp with Black Bean Cakes and Coriander Sauce

From Susan Spicer of Bayona. One of my families all time favorite appetizers from one of our favorite chefs.

BLACK BEAN CAKES

.5 lb black beans, picked clean and rinsed

1 tablespoon olive or corn oil

1 small yellow onion, finely chopped

1 small green bell or poblano pepper, finely chopped

1 jalapeno, chopped (if not using poblano)

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon chili powder

.5 teaspoon ground cumin

S&P

Flour (for dusting cakes)

Sour cream and cilantro sprigs, as garnish

Place the black beans in cold water to cover. Soak overnight, or for at least 1 hour. Drain, rinse, place in a large pot, and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to boil, skim foam, and then simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Add more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.

Meanwhile heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add the vegetables along with the honey, vinegar, chili powder, and cumin to the beans and continue to simmer. When the beans are quite soft and are starting to break down, season with S&P. Continue to cook until the beans are creamy.

Remove the bean mixture form the heat and strain, reserving the liquid. Puree in a food processor, and then transfer to a baking sheet. Spread the puree evenly and let it cool completely. Form the puree into little cakes shaped like hockey pucks (1/2 cup per cake). The consistency is perfect if it I moist enough to gather into a ball, but not so wet that the mixture sticks to your hands.

Preheat oven to 400. To finish the cakes, lightly dust them with flour. Heat a medium skillet (lightly coated with oil) over medium-high heat. Sauté the cakes just long enough to get a nice crust on each side. When ready to serve, place them on baking sheets in the oven to warm through. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro.

GRILLED SHRIMP

2 tablespoon olive oil

.25 teaspoon chili powder

.25 teaspoon cumin

.25 teaspoon cayenne

.25 teaspoon salt

Peeled Shrimp, Tail on, Head off, deveined

In a bowl, combine the olive oil and seasoning, to the shrimp in the marinade, and refrigerate while you make the coriander sauce. Light grill. Cook 3 minutes each side.

CORIANDER SAUCE

1 medium shallot, finely chopped

.5 teaspoon grated orange zest

.25 cup OJ

.5 cup white wine

2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar

.5 teaspoon ground coriander

5 tablespoons butter, softened

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

S&P

Place the shallot, orange zest and juice, wine, vinegar, and coriander in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the liquid is reduced to 2 or 3 tablespoons. While it I hot, whisk in softened butter by the spoonful until the sauce is emulsified to a thick and creamy state). Stir in cilantro and season with s&p. Cover and keep warm over low heat.

Serves 4

Shrimp and Tasso with Five Pepper Jelly

And Crystal Hot Sauce Buerre Blanc

Commander's Palace. It's like pretty awesome.

Ingredients:

• 36 Jumbo Shrimp (shelled and deveined)

• 6 oz. Spicy Tasso (julienne into 1" strips)

• 36 Pickled Okra

• 5 Pepper Jelly (see below)

• Crystal Hot Butter Sauce (below)

Make a 1/4" incision down the back of each shrimp and place one strip of tasso in each incision. Secure with a toothpick. Lightly dust each shrimp with seasoned flour and fry.

Place cooked shrimp in a bowl with 4 oz. of Crystal hot butter sauce and toss until well coated.

Spread 5-pepper jelly on the bottom of a small dish and arrange shrimp on the plate alternating with the pickled okra.

Five Pepper Jelly:

1 each Red, Yellow and Green Peppers, diced

1 Jalapeno

1/4 tsp. Pepper Flakes

6 oz. Karo Light Syrup

6 oz. White Vinegar

Put honey and vinegar in a pot and reduce until sticky. Add remaining ingredients and cook until the peppers are soft. Add salt to taste.

Crystal Hot Sauce Beurre Blanc:

5 oz. Crystal Hot Sauce

Pinch Garlic

Pinch Shallot

2 oz. Heavy Cream

1 1/2 lb. Butter

Saute garlic and shallots in a pan with a little butter. Add Crystal hot sauce and reduce by 75%. Add cream and reduce again by 50%. Slowly whip in softened butter a little at a time.

VIETNAMESE FISH SAUCE WINGS

POK POK in Portland, OR. I lived up there from 96 - 01 and missed out on the food scene that is exploding at the moment. I went back this summer for two different trips, and both times went to Pok Pok for these wings....which is funny considering how awesome our Vietnamese food is here in NOLA. My sister about freaked out when she had them last night. I'm quite surprised how well I nailed it.

INGREDIENTS

• sea salt and fresh ground pepper

• 1 cup fish sauce

• 1 cup maple syrup

• 1/2 cup orange juice

• 8 garlic cloves, minced (divided)

• 3 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints

• 3 tablespoons butter

• zest and juice of 1 orange

• 1/4 cup sambal oelek chili paste (more or less to taste)

• oil for frying

• 1 cup chopped cilantro, garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Season the wings with a pinch of sea salt and a crank of fresh ground pepper. In a large bowl whisk together the fish sauce, maple syrup, orange juice, and half of the garlic cloves. Add the wings and toss to coat. Transfer the wings and marinade to a plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight (I’d go overnight or as long as you can).

2. Drain the wings over a medium bowl to reserve the marinade. Heat the butter over medium heat until melted and add the remaining garlic; cook until the garlic is golden brown, being careful not to allow it to burn. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the reserved marinade, orange zest and juice, and chili paste. Continue to cook the dressing until it reduces to a syrupy consistency, about 10 minutes, and then remove it from the heat. Place the warm sauce in a large bowl.

3. Heat the oil to 350F. Working in batches, fry the wings until crispy, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain on a cooling rack set over paper towels, allowing the oil to drip off. When all of the wings have been fried, toss them in the dressing (you may need to work in batches). Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.

4. *After the frying step you may also hold the wings in a warm oven–this helps if you are doing large batches. Just be aware of drying out the wings or losing crispness if held for a long period of time.

Peppered Tuna with Asian Guacamole and Hoisin Dipping Sauce

Susan Spicer @ Bayona. Tuna with chinese ketchup and guacamole....pure delicious.

1 pice star anise

1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

2 tablespoons soy

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

.75 pound tuna loin, cut in half lengthwise

Coarse sea salt

Asian Guacamole

Hoisin Dipping Sauce

Heat the star anise and peppercorns in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until you can smell the pepper when standing over the pan (30 seconds). Remove from heat and cool. Grind in a spice grinder. Combine the soy sauce and 1 tablespoon oil and brush the mixture on all sides of the tuna. Sprinkle the tuna lightly on all sides with the peppercorn mix & salt. Let stand 15 minutes or refrigerate several hours.

Heat the remaining 2 tbls oil over Med High heat until very hot and sear tuna for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate and let cool.

Cut tuna into 1/8 inch thick slices and serve with a spoonful of guacamole and a ramekin of dipping sauce.

(substitute Chinese five-spice powder for the star anise and peppercorns if you don’t want to grind your own spices)

Asian Guacamole

1 ripe avocado peeled and diced

1 small cucumber peeled and seeded, diced, and squeezed in a towel to remove excess moisture

2 radishes finely diced

.5 teaspoon grated ginger

.25 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon peanut or canola oil

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1 lime)

2 scallion, finely chopped

1/3 cup chopped cilantro

1 teapoon wasabi paste

Salt

Sambal Oelek red chile paste

Mix all together just until combined. Add more salt, chili paste, or lime to taste.

Hoisin Dipping Sauce

2 tablespoons soy

2 tablespoon hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon molasses or honey

1 garlic clove minced

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

.5 teaspoon ginger grated

.5 teaspoon chile paste

2 tablespoons peanut or canola

Combine the ingredient and whisk together

Smoked Mushrooms with Tasso Cream on Angel Hair

Emeril...when he was at Commander's Palace

• 1/2 pound angel hair pasta

• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

• 1/2 cup chopped tasso *

• 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (white parts only)

• 1 tablespoon chopped shallots

• 1 teaspoon chopped garlic

• 1 pound Smoked Mushrooms (See recipe)

• 2 1/2 cups heavy cream

• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

• 1 teaspoon Emeril's Kick it Up Hot Red Sauce, or other hot sauce

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

• 3 tablespoons chopped green onions (green parts), garnish

•3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, garnish

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the angel hair pasta and cook until just al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander, return to the pot, and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the green onion whites, the shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the smoked mushrooms, stir well, and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and cold butter and stir well.

Divide the pasta among four or six plates and spoon the sauce evenly over the top. Garnish with the green onions and Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

• 1/2 pound angel hair pasta

• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

• 1/2 cup chopped tasso *

• 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (white parts only)

• 1 tablespoon chopped shallots

• 1 teaspoon chopped garlic

• 1 pound Smoked Mushrooms (See recipe)

• 2 1/2 cups heavy cream

• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

• 1 teaspoon Emeril's Kick it Up Hot Red Sauce, or other hot sauce

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

• 3 tablespoons chopped green onions (green parts), garnish

•3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, garnish

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the angel hair pasta and cook until just al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander, return to the pot, and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the green onion whites, the shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the smoked mushrooms, stir well, and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and cold butter and stir well.

Divide the pasta among four or six plates and spoon the sauce evenly over the top. Garnish with the green onions and Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Tipsey

Please include the smoked mushrooms recipe - I am gonna do this.

Thanks

Tipsey

Thanks

I tossed mushrooms in oil and creole seasoning (essence) and smoked with hickory for about 40 minutes.

Tipsey

Thanks

I tossed mushrooms in oil and creole seasoning (essence) and smoked with hickory for about 40 minutes.

I'll have to try these. Just regular button mushrooms? You slice them or anything or leave them whole?

How are they?

J

Tipsey

Thanks

I'll have to try these. Just regular button mushrooms? You slice them or anything or leave them whole?

How are they?

J

Button mushrooms yes....stemmed and quartered. And they were like bbq popcorn for us smoke lovers.

Garlic Wine SauceIngredients3 tablespoons minced shallots 3 tablespoons minced garlic 1/2 teaspoon salt 4 turns freshly ground black pepper 1 1/2 cups veal stock or chicken stock 1/2 cup dry red wine (or dry white wine depending on what you plan on using it on)2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature DirectionsCombine the shallots, garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir in the stock and the wine and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for 15 minutes. Swirl in the butter, remove from the heat, and continue to whisk in the butter until thoroughly incorporated.

This can be an easy pan sauce as well. -cook shallots till translucent-deglaze with red (veal stock)wine/white (chicken stock)wine -reduce about 3/4-add stock-reduce to half or so-add butter, salt, pepper
  • 3 weeks later...

This is inspired by Jamie Oliver, but made my own...

Chili, Peppers, & Onion chutney:

3-4 red bell peppers

1 habenaro

4-5 hatch chilies (or jalapeños if you're not lucky enough to have frozen bags of hatches during their season :hangover: )

2 big red onions

a couple of lugs of olive oil

1 stick cinnamon

1C brown sugar

2 sprigs rosemary

3 bay leaves

150 ml (about 1/3 of a std. bottle) balsamic vinegar

salt & pepper to taste

1. Roast all your peppers (either on the grill or under the broiler). Let them sweat in a bowl wrapped in cling wrap until you can peel them. Peel and de-seed. Set aside.

2. Slice the onions and then place over medium heat in a pan w/ the olive oil. Lightly salt them to help draw out some of the water & then let them sweat for about 20 mins until brown and sweet.

3. Empty the onions & gather all your peppers/chilies and either chop to your preferred consistency or place in a food pro and pulse until you have your preferred consistency.

4. Put the onion & chile mixture back into the same pan over medium heat along w/ the brown sugar, rosemary, bay, balsamic vinegar, salt, & pepper. Bring this to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for about 20-25 mins until the mixture becomes thick and ABSOLUTELY delicious!

This is absolutely fantastic on either welsh rarebit or on a burger, or or or. The cool thing is you can control the heat based on how many/which chilies you use. I can this in sterilized jars and give as gifts during the holidays and people go nuts for this. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived