What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

Follow up commments on SI 10"

As I said the first night I had "hot" issue. This seems at this point to be a one time event. I would say I sleep with less covers, but I have not made any purchases of a pad or anything at this point to adjust. Will monitor this for summer as now the nights are still mild here.

I will say the :pickle: performance over a spring mattress is night and day. I'm not sure why more people don't mention this benefit.

Wife is very happy with the purchase as-is. She has noticed it sleeping hotter, but like me she's either adjusted or not finding it to be an issue anymore either.

I will say it took about 7 days total to completely be rid of the smell.

My wife and I purchased a king-size 12" Sleep Innovation mattress from Costco for $50 more than on Amazon; the added price seemed worth it because of an easy in-store return policy. The mattress is great; the first week I must of thought about climbing back into it about 10 times a day. I previously slept on the floor, on a Thermo-Rest camping pad, for 2 plus years because of my back; since we've gotten this about a month ago, my back still feels great. I do not get awakened with my wife or kids getting into or out of the bed. It did not sleep hot but it can be stiff if the mattress is cold, until your body heat "softens" it. I also did not have the "off-gassing" problem but I did go through Costco's stock and picked out recently manufactured mattress (less than a couple of weeks old). The bed is great. I do not know if the 10" would still be as comfortable but it does have more memory foam than the 12". I will probably get more of these but maybe from Amazon now that I am satisfied with the product. I recommend them highly and it is one of our better purchases for our new house. The box is fairly large and probably won't fit in a car but should fit in a SUV with the seats down. The box has wheels, so moving it around is not to difficult. The 12" mattress makes for some nuisance with finding sheets for it but not too bad. I know that the comparison of a camping pad to a mattress isn't a ringing endorsement but I do travel and sleep in many hotel beds, always feeling stiff after a few days of that; no such issue here.
Starting tomorrow until 4/2, this particular mattress is on sale at Costco for $100 off. It's in a blue box with a handle and a large plastic roller assembly (which we're getting ripped off on as the price fluctuates based on the price of plastic but I digress LOL). Don't worry about old stock like pittstownkiller did; Costco's orders haven't been keeping up with their POS lately; we've been producing these, they've been going right out the door, and right out the door at Costco. Turnover has been quick recently. I've had this mattress for a year and a half now and every night it feels like a new mattress. We love it.By the way, this is a gel foam mattress. The memory foam has gel beads baked in. Like a bunch of blue Dr. Scholl's pads ground up and cooked in with the foam. Gives less pressure points than regular memory foam. Almost the same stuff as the current Serta iComfort mattress all over the TV (we make the foam for that too).

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had the 12" SI for a few weeks now.

Just awesome. I love it, wife loves it. Wife was scared when we got the box. "That's a mattress? How much did you pay for this thing?". But first night she was hooked. The packing smell stuck around for several days but it wasn't that strong and it's gone now.

Without this thread I probably would have spent $800 or so on a higher end mattress at Sears and it would have been just another mattress. A spring mattress is outdated technology IMO. They try to pack in more springs and other features to give it a more consistent feel, but memory foam gives that to you. I can't believe this thing was $400.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is how it deadens the sound around you. When you are laying down the foam acts like a sound insulator.

The only minor gripe I have is that it does sleep a little hot where your body touches the mattress, but it's nothing that hurts my sleep. If I turn then it helps.

Based on NJDawg's recommendation we went with the Costco model that's 100 off. We had have it a little over a week. It's not sleeping hot at all, but it's taking a lot longer to get used to than I expected. It's really firm, but not uncomfortable. I sleep mostly on my side and needed to add a second pillow and I am much more comfortable with that 2nd pillow. So far we are happy, but not as happy as I hoped we would be. Big thanks to NJDawg he was extremely helpful, answered all my questions, and went out of his way to make sure I knew everything I needed to know.

It's been a couple of months, and we're very happy with the 10" SI from Amazon. My wife mentions how happy she is with it about once per week. Thanks, FBG.

We've had the 12" SI for a few weeks now.Just awesome. I love it, wife loves it. Wife was scared when we got the box. "That's a mattress? How much did you pay for this thing?". But first night she was hooked. The packing smell stuck around for several days but it wasn't that strong and it's gone now. Without this thread I probably would have spent $800 or so on a higher end mattress at Sears and it would have been just another mattress. A spring mattress is outdated technology IMO. They try to pack in more springs and other features to give it a more consistent feel, but memory foam gives that to you. I can't believe this thing was $400.One thing I haven't heard mentioned is how it deadens the sound around you. When you are laying down the foam acts like a sound insulator.The only minor gripe I have is that it does sleep a little hot where your body touches the mattress, but it's nothing that hurts my sleep. If I turn then it helps.
Good deal man. That's a good point which I never realized about the sound. Glad you like the mattress and saved some dough. And I didn't mean to come off like a right-wing doosh on you in the other thread. :bag:
Based on NJDawg's recommendation we went with the Costco model that's 100 off. We had have it a little over a week. It's not sleeping hot at all, but it's taking a lot longer to get used to than I expected. It's really firm, but not uncomfortable. I sleep mostly on my side and needed to add a second pillow and I am much more comfortable with that 2nd pillow. So far we are happy, but not as happy as I hoped we would be. Big thanks to NJDawg he was extremely helpful, answered all my questions, and went out of his way to make sure I knew everything I needed to know.
Wish you were blown away Hawks but give it a chance. I've slept on crappy mattresses for so long, it took me a couple of weeks to completely break it in to the point where I love it. I should have mentioned that 1) it's firm but soft at the same time if you can visualize that 2) it can take a while to get used to if you've never slept on foam before. It can take a month or so to completely break down all the foam cells so that it breathes easier and gets softer. Which is the reason for Tempurpedic's 90 day guarantee. Costco's return policy is awesome if you have regrets. They really stand by their members.

We've had the 12" SI for a few weeks now.Just awesome. I love it, wife loves it. Wife was scared when we got the box. "That's a mattress? How much did you pay for this thing?". But first night she was hooked. The packing smell stuck around for several days but it wasn't that strong and it's gone now. Without this thread I probably would have spent $800 or so on a higher end mattress at Sears and it would have been just another mattress. A spring mattress is outdated technology IMO. They try to pack in more springs and other features to give it a more consistent feel, but memory foam gives that to you. I can't believe this thing was $400.One thing I haven't heard mentioned is how it deadens the sound around you. When you are laying down the foam acts like a sound insulator.The only minor gripe I have is that it does sleep a little hot where your body touches the mattress, but it's nothing that hurts my sleep. If I turn then it helps.
Good deal man. That's a good point which I never realized about the sound. Glad you like the mattress and saved some dough. And I didn't mean to come off like a right-wing doosh on you in the other thread. :bag:
No worries. Call me a pinko hippie pantywaist if you are going to save me $400.

Wish you were blown away Hawks but give it a chance. I've slept on crappy mattresses for so long, it took me a couple of weeks to completely break it in to the point where I love it. I should have mentioned that 1) it's firm but soft at the same time if you can visualize that 2) it can take a while to get used to if you've never slept on foam before. It can take a month or so to completely break down all the foam cells so that it breathes easier and gets softer. Which is the reason for Tempurpedic's 90 day guarantee. Costco's return policy is awesome if you have regrets. They really stand by their members.
Oh we plan on giving it at least a month or two, but I highly doubt it will be going back. It's much better than our old mattress, it's really just getting used to the firmness of the mattress more than anything. I will say I was very happy that it doesn't sleep hot, in fact it sleeps as cool or cooler that our old mattress.

Had mine for 6 months now, no problems - I am normally a hot sleeper, had a problem like maybe once or twice. No box spring either, just a platform with slats, not sure if that helps with the breathing/air flow.

We are planning on getting one of these novaform 12 inch memory foam mattresses from costco while the sale is on.

My question: Are these OK for slat style beds? My wife says no, the costco website says yes, the mattress store people we've been talking to say no.

We got a cheap bed from ikea, but I didn't get the slats, thinking we instead had to get a big piece of wood cut to put under the mattress.

What's the deal here?

nj--is it sleep innovations, or novaform that you are recommending? which is 100 off?
It's my understanding that it's a Novaform brand mattress, with foam made by Sleep Innovations???
thanks snitwich. costco.com has separate categories for each brand name.
Novaform is Costco's house brand which Sleep Innovations manufactures. The one that is $100 off is Sleep Innovations'. As for the slats question, personally I would reinforce with a sheet of plywood.

nj--is it sleep innovations, or novaform that you are recommending? which is 100 off?
It's my understanding that it's a Novaform brand mattress, with foam made by Sleep Innovations???
Novaform is Costco's house brand which Sleep Innovations manufactures. The one that is $100 off is Sleep Innovations'. As for the slats question, personally I would reinforce with a sheet of plywood.
My mattress arrives on Tuesday, can't wait. NJ thanks for all your assistance.Regarding the plywood question, do you recommend getting the slats in addition to plywood? And how thick should the plywood be? Can the plywood be in 2 pieces??

Now we are over a month in and have adjusted to the mattress. I like it much better than I did initially. We recently had a spring heat wave where temps were in the mid/upper 80s for over a week and the mattress didn't sleep hot at all, was really comfortable. I would definitely buy this again.

My mattress arrives on Tuesday, can't wait. NJ thanks for all your assistance.Regarding the plywood question, do you recommend getting the slats in addition to plywood? And how thick should the plywood be? Can the plywood be in 2 pieces??
Not a problem. I am a larger gentleman and I also have my wife so I would reinforce the slats with the plywood. It shouldn't matter how thick or whether the plywood is in more than one piece. Hope you enjoy it. I love my company's products. We make some cutting edge stuff for awesome prices.

Now we are over a month in and have adjusted to the mattress. I like it much better than I did initially. We recently had a spring heat wave where temps were in the mid/upper 80s for over a week and the mattress didn't sleep hot at all, was really comfortable. I would definitely buy this again.
:thumbup:

NJ Dawg, I read this thread and checked out the Costco site for their various memory foam beds. It appears you are the man when it comes to knowledge about these foam beds and their make up, so I hope that you can help me as well. I really need to change my bed so I can get better sleep again before I go brain dead. Anyway in the Costco site the various manufactures have beds from 10" and 11", 12" and up to the 14" Sleep science product. After looking at all the different densities of foam and the various layers used by the different manufacturers to make up their beds I have some questions that hopefully you can help me with. The Sleep science 14" mattress seemed to have the heaviest densities and nicest mix of layers and construction overall, but it was by far the most expensive. The Sleep Science and Sleep Inovations both had various mattress and prices for 10", 11" and 12" that had different foam densities and foam make ups and were much more cost effective.

If money wasn't the major concern what would you recommend as the best king size bed to purchase, at Costco or otherwise? What mattress would you buy or recommend as the best overall value for the money if a good nights sleep is the priority? Is the 14" Sleep Science substantially better than the other 10',11" and 12" mattress systems at Costco? Is the 14" SS comparable to the Temperpedic foam densities and make up in their mattress's, or are the others closer in style? I am leaning towards that 14" Sleep Science, but I don't want to spend more money then needed if there isn't the coressponding benefits. I would prefer to of course buy the best bed possible at the best possible price, but I can't seem to fully quantify the differences in these memory foam products and the structural make up of the different manufacturers. If history is my guide and left to my own mattress making decisions I will make another bad choice. So any and all your expertise will be welcomed in helping me sort these things out. Hopefully you will check in again and be able to answer, Thanks in advance.

NJ Dawg, I read this thread and checked out the Costco site for their various memory foam beds. It appears you are the man when it comes to knowledge about these foam beds and their make up, so I hope that you can help me as well. I really need to change my bed so I can get better sleep again before I go brain dead. Anyway in the Costco site the various manufactures have beds from 10" and 11", 12" and up to the 14" Sleep science product. After looking at all the different densities of foam and the various layers used by the different manufacturers to make up their beds I have some questions that hopefully you can help me with. The Sleep science 14" mattress seemed to have the heaviest densities and nicest mix of layers and construction overall, but it was by far the most expensive. The Sleep Science and Sleep Inovations both had various mattress and prices for 10", 11" and 12" that had different foam densities and foam make ups and were much more cost effective. If money wasn't the major concern what would you recommend as the best king size bed to purchase, at Costco or otherwise? What mattress would you buy or recommend as the best overall value for the money if a good nights sleep is the priority? Is the 14" Sleep Science substantially better than the other 10',11" and 12" mattress systems at Costco? Is the 14" SS comparable to the Temperpedic foam densities and make up in their mattress's, or are the others closer in style? I am leaning towards that 14" Sleep Science, but I don't want to spend more money then needed if there isn't the coressponding benefits. I would prefer to of course buy the best bed possible at the best possible price, but I can't seem to fully quantify the differences in these memory foam products and the structural make up of the different manufacturers. If history is my guide and left to my own mattress making decisions I will make another bad choice. So any and all your expertise will be welcomed in helping me sort these things out. Hopefully you will check in again and be able to answer, Thanks in advance.
Hello. I saw your PM; sorry I didn't have a chance to answer you until now. I work for SI so my opionion is biased. However, if you like a firmer feel, go with the one that has the higher base foam to memory foam ratio, and if you like a softer feel, go for the opposite. For example, one with 8" of base and 2" of memory foam will be firmer than one with 7" of base and 3" of memory foam. The memory foam will give you the softness. I really don't know much about our competitors' mattresses (Tempurpedic, Sleep Science) but will put ours up against anyone's as far as price and quality. There's a great deal on our 12" gel foam model at Costco right now (it's in a blue box); $100 off until 4/2. The King should be $699. I sleep on it and love it. My back hasn't hurt in 2 years.I'll take a look at some of our competition and see what I find.

'NJDawgPound said:
's&m said:
NJ Dawg, I read this thread and checked out the Costco site for their various memory foam beds. It appears you are the man when it comes to knowledge about these foam beds and their make up, so I hope that you can help me as well. I really need to change my bed so I can get better sleep again before I go brain dead. Anyway in the Costco site the various manufactures have beds from 10" and 11", 12" and up to the 14" Sleep science product. After looking at all the different densities of foam and the various layers used by the different manufacturers to make up their beds I have some questions that hopefully you can help me with. The Sleep science 14" mattress seemed to have the heaviest densities and nicest mix of layers and construction overall, but it was by far the most expensive. The Sleep Science and Sleep Inovations both had various mattress and prices for 10", 11" and 12" that had different foam densities and foam make ups and were much more cost effective. If money wasn't the major concern what would you recommend as the best king size bed to purchase, at Costco or otherwise? What mattress would you buy or recommend as the best overall value for the money if a good nights sleep is the priority? Is the 14" Sleep Science substantially better than the other 10',11" and 12" mattress systems at Costco? Is the 14" SS comparable to the Temperpedic foam densities and make up in their mattress's, or are the others closer in style? I am leaning towards that 14" Sleep Science, but I don't want to spend more money then needed if there isn't the coressponding benefits. I would prefer to of course buy the best bed possible at the best possible price, but I can't seem to fully quantify the differences in these memory foam products and the structural make up of the different manufacturers. If history is my guide and left to my own mattress making decisions I will make another bad choice. So any and all your expertise will be welcomed in helping me sort these things out. Hopefully you will check in again and be able to answer, Thanks in advance.
Hello. I saw your PM; sorry I didn't have a chance to answer you until now. I work for SI so my opionion is biased. However, if you like a firmer feel, go with the one that has the higher base foam to memory foam ratio, and if you like a softer feel, go for the opposite. For example, one with 8" of base and 2" of memory foam will be firmer than one with 7" of base and 3" of memory foam. The memory foam will give you the softness. I really don't know much about our competitors' mattresses (Tempurpedic, Sleep Science) but will put ours up against anyone's as far as price and quality. There's a great deal on our 12" gel foam model at Costco right now (it's in a blue box); $100 off until 4/2. The King should be $699. I sleep on it and love it. My back hasn't hurt in 2 years.I'll take a look at some of our competition and see what I find.
I apprecate your answering back. Some how I missed the fact you worked directly for Sleep Inovations. It seems a little awkward to have asked about your competitors products. Maybe you could answer back in the PM service on this easier. As I really am interested in the overall effects of the various densities of foams and how they relate to feel, support and body conforming. I was reading up a little more on your sera fina and also the roma mattress's and trying to look how they compare with the other SS 11" and 13" ara mattress's. I couldn't find the SI weights for their visco foams, but I had some inkling in the way they listed premium and superior, or under various trade names like luratex, but maybe you can answer more for me. The 14" SS that I like best shows a 2" 7 lb top layer, then a 3" 5 lb visco 2nd layer, and 9" of premium air channel poly foam base, with a 11-13 ild rating? (whatever that is) they show a 150 lb overall weight and sells at $2399 costco. As I have understood the weight is a basis of the quality and density of the foam and it's long term properties. Is that a correct assumption or is someone blowing smoke my way.The 13" ARA shows a 3" 5 lb visco, then a layer of 3 5/8" 5 lb visco and then 1" air barrior foam, and then a 6" base poly foam, with a 11-13 ifd rating? weight is 138 lbs and sells at $1299The SI Roma shows a 2.5 " premium nutrafresh memory, then a layer of 3.5" lutratex custom wave foam, and then a 6" premium poly foam base. It showed a medium soft FEEL, Luxery/high SUPPORT, and medium BODY CONFORMING. weight is 123 lbs, and price is $1079The SI Sera Fina shows a 2.5" Gel Memory foam, then a 2.5" Lutratex custom wave foam, and then a 7" premium poly foam base, it shows a medium/firm FEEL, medium/high SUPPORT medium low BODY CONFORMING. weight was 120 lbs and price is $1079The SI 12" memory shows a 2.5" gel memory foam, then a 2.5" textured foam, and then a 7" superior support foam, I couldn't find the FEEL, SUPPORT or BODY CONFORMING ratings. weight was 112 lbs and it was on sale for $699. The 14" really sounds well constructed and uses very premium visco foams from what I can tell, I was looking at Tempurpedic's, but my wife would be happy if I didn't buy a tempurpedic mattress due to price. But the 14" SS looks and has the quality visco weights and construction that is similar in my eyes to Tempurpedic (they use 6 lb visco foam), and all I want is a very good mattress. The the 13" ARA sounds pretty good with the 2 layers of 3" or bigger 5 lb visco and that price is attractive to my wife if it's a good mattress. I believe both of the SI Roma and Sera Fina priced at $1079 are attractive to my wife and I like the way they have rated them for FEEL, SUPPORT and BODY CONFORMING, but can you tell me more about the trade names and weights of the Nutrafresh and the Lutratex foam products so I can compare the overall quality better. The overall weight of the different products and manufacturers had me wondering about the foam weights and overall qualities. Right now I think I will try and focus my options to these. I don't know if the SI 12" is right for me at this time. Unless you can convince me otherwise, at which I wouldn't mind. Even FBG's like to save money for the right deal. But from what I can compare to I'm leaning to the SS 14" or the 13" ARA mattress, but if the SI has the right foams and weights (at least 5 lb visco types) I would probably switch over to the SI Roma mattress. I just can't compare without knowing what the trade name products are really made of. It might be easier to answer my very long winded questions by PM, but either way would be great. This mattress comparison shopping is hard without some real knowledge of the subject, and even more some inside knowledge of all the different foams and weights and properties etc. Thanks once again, hopefully this isn't a real P.I.T.A. or offensive since you work with one of the companies. But I am just looking for some straight up answers and can't get them dealt with so far in any stores or customer call lines. Thanks again!

I know you're asking NJDP directly, but I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

A number of guys in this thread have bought this 10" SI form Amazon for a cheap price. A queen is $369. http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-10-inch-Memory-Mattress/dp/B003CT37JM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332808401&sr=8-3

I have as well, and am very happy with it. Of course we don't know how it will do long-term, but at that price, I'm willing to take the chance on its durability.

There's also a 12" with less memory foam and a similar price.

I don't know that they're the best mattresses for the price, but my own experience has been great, and the price pretty much can't be beaten.

We picked up the 12" SI version from costco. I absolutely love it. Our other foam mattress was shot and I was waking up with a sore back. Now, I wake up and feel like I got 2 additional hours of sleep. Its amazing.

My wife, however, does not like it at all right now. She's going to give it time. But, I don't like to see her suffer. :sadbanana:

Does the 10" version from Amazon offer more or less firmness?

Groupon has an offer for a memory foam mattress today.

For $499, you get a full-size PuraSleep PuraVida Essence memory-foam mattress (a $1,399 value).

For $499, you get a queen-size PuraSleep PuraVida Essence memory-foam mattress (a $1,499 value).

For $599, you get a king-size PuraSleep PuraVida Essence memory-foam mattress (a $1,899 value).

Shipping included in price. Anyone know anything about PuraSleep?

I found a website today that helped a little bit in finding out some of the base information on these different memory foam mattress's. It is www.reviews-mattress.com and you can go into their reviews of memory foam mattress's. It has the Sleep Inovations and the one I was looking at Sleep science, as well as many on-line types and the tempurpedic line. It also goes over how the weight of foams affect the actual bed and comfort (which was my question and concern) It has a lot of other comparison features to help you make a informed decision.

I am now deciding between the Sleep science in the 13" ARA about $1300 and the 13" in the Luxury Advanced Sleep private label (very similar to the 14" SS) at $1700 (only at Home.Click.com) or the 13" Dynasty mattress that is on line at $700 at the Dynasty Mattress store on line. The only major difference other than in price, is warranty. The South Bay (makers of Sleep Science) told me on the phone today they will warrant for 20 years and they would pay for ship back to a Costco for either refund or replacement if any issues of sag or defects happen, or for any reason in the first 1/2 year. The Dynasty which has a similar structual build out and visco foam weights as the Sleep Science, except the supposedly patented SS wedge foam around the exterior of the mattress, has a good warranty but it is only returnable for 120 days for any reason and you are responsible for shipping (which is pretty standard from what I researched). I love what I've researched on this Dynasty mattress, but the Costco warranty and ease of business makes it a harder decision. Though Costco say's 2 to 4 weeks for delivery vs. 2-4 days for the Dynasty mattress. Decisions, decisions.

I will research a little more, but I need to make a final decision and get something ordered. Hopefully someone else will find some of my research useful, or at least the mattress review website informative and helpful. I don't know how biased or unbiased the website is, but they seemed pretty even handed to all brands and didn't seem to be pushing any one product over another. Maybe NJDawg might be able to shine a light on this website and if it has good information or not. Good luck to anyone trying to find a good mattress, and hopefully a good nights rest is in all our futures.

Mattress arrived today, can't wait to get a good night's rest for once!!

Who's got advice on pillows? Wife and I are both side sleepers, and wouldn't mind something of the latex / foam variety as a base pillow

I apprecate your answering back. Some how I missed the fact you worked directly for Sleep Inovations. It seems a little awkward to have asked about your competitors products. Maybe you could answer back in the PM service on this easier. As I really am interested in the overall effects of the various densities of foams and how they relate to feel, support and body conforming. I was reading up a little more on your sera fina and also the roma mattress's and trying to look how they compare with the other SS 11" and 13" ara mattress's. I couldn't find the SI weights for their visco foams, but I had some inkling in the way they listed premium and superior, or under various trade names like luratex, but maybe you can answer more for me. The 14" SS that I like best shows a 2" 7 lb top layer, then a 3" 5 lb visco 2nd layer, and 9" of premium air channel poly foam base, with a 11-13 ild rating? (whatever that is) they show a 150 lb overall weight and sells at $2399 costco. As I have understood the weight is a basis of the quality and density of the foam and it's long term properties. Is that a correct assumption or is someone blowing smoke my way.The 13" ARA shows a 3" 5 lb visco, then a layer of 3 5/8" 5 lb visco and then 1" air barrior foam, and then a 6" base poly foam, with a 11-13 ifd rating? weight is 138 lbs and sells at $1299The SI Roma shows a 2.5 " premium nutrafresh memory, then a layer of 3.5" lutratex custom wave foam, and then a 6" premium poly foam base. It showed a medium soft FEEL, Luxery/high SUPPORT, and medium BODY CONFORMING. weight is 123 lbs, and price is $1079The SI Sera Fina shows a 2.5" Gel Memory foam, then a 2.5" Lutratex custom wave foam, and then a 7" premium poly foam base, it shows a medium/firm FEEL, medium/high SUPPORT medium low BODY CONFORMING. weight was 120 lbs and price is $1079The SI 12" memory shows a 2.5" gel memory foam, then a 2.5" textured foam, and then a 7" superior support foam, I couldn't find the FEEL, SUPPORT or BODY CONFORMING ratings. weight was 112 lbs and it was on sale for $699. The 14" really sounds well constructed and uses very premium visco foams from what I can tell, I was looking at Tempurpedic's, but my wife would be happy if I didn't buy a tempurpedic mattress due to price. But the 14" SS looks and has the quality visco weights and construction that is similar in my eyes to Tempurpedic (they use 6 lb visco foam), and all I want is a very good mattress. The the 13" ARA sounds pretty good with the 2 layers of 3" or bigger 5 lb visco and that price is attractive to my wife if it's a good mattress. I believe both of the SI Roma and Sera Fina priced at $1079 are attractive to my wife and I like the way they have rated them for FEEL, SUPPORT and BODY CONFORMING, but can you tell me more about the trade names and weights of the Nutrafresh and the Lutratex foam products so I can compare the overall quality better. The overall weight of the different products and manufacturers had me wondering about the foam weights and overall qualities. Right now I think I will try and focus my options to these. I don't know if the SI 12" is right for me at this time. Unless you can convince me otherwise, at which I wouldn't mind. Even FBG's like to save money for the right deal. But from what I can compare to I'm leaning to the SS 14" or the 13" ARA mattress, but if the SI has the right foams and weights (at least 5 lb visco types) I would probably switch over to the SI Roma mattress. I just can't compare without knowing what the trade name products are really made of. It might be easier to answer my very long winded questions by PM, but either way would be great. This mattress comparison shopping is hard without some real knowledge of the subject, and even more some inside knowledge of all the different foams and weights and properties etc. Thanks once again, hopefully this isn't a real P.I.T.A. or offensive since you work with one of the companies. But I am just looking for some straight up answers and can't get them dealt with so far in any stores or customer call lines. Thanks again!
Wow, you're really doing your research. This is from Wikipedia about IFD and it's pretty accurate: "IFD measures the force (in pounds-force) required to make a dent 1 inch into a foam sample 15" x 15" x 4" by an 8-inch-diameter (50 sq in) disc—known as IFD @ 25% compression.[4] IFD ratings for memory foams range between super soft (IFD 10) and semi-rigid (IFD 120). Most memory foam mattresses are firm (IFD 12 to IFD 16)." I wouldn't use this to judge or buy a mattress, and you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get a great one. I don't know why SI does not list IFD ratings on Costco.com, but I can tell you that on our 3 layer mattresses there the middle layer is a convoluted piece of foam designed to promote airflow throughout the mattress for both comfort, coolness, and recovery. Visco is just regular memory foam. To oversimplify, the more memory foam, the softer the mattress. The Roma Sera and Serafina are a couple of our higher end offerings, but my basic Costco in-store gel foam mattress can't be beat. On the Roma Sera and Serafina, I never laid down on those so I can't say other than they look nice. I hear from my coworkers that the Serafina is on the firm side. Don't know much about ARA and Sleep Science other than they compete with us at Costco. Our major downside is that there is nowhere to try out the mattresses so you have to have faith in people's reviews or go with a retailer like Amazon or Costco that has a killer return policy. Good luck! Sorry I couldn't help more, I am not a chemist, I just buy/plan the raw materials that go into these things. :)

We picked up the 12" SI version from costco. I absolutely love it. Our other foam mattress was shot and I was waking up with a sore back. Now, I wake up and feel like I got 2 additional hours of sleep. Its amazing.My wife, however, does not like it at all right now. She's going to give it time. But, I don't like to see her suffer. :sadbanana: Does the 10" version from Amazon offer more or less firmness?
There are a few 10" models, but the more memory foam, the softer the mattresses. The more base foam, the firmer the mattress.

Mattress arrived today, can't wait to get a good night's rest for once!!Who's got advice on pillows? Wife and I are both side sleepers, and wouldn't mind something of the latex / foam variety as a base pillow
There is a cool one out there that I like- one side is memory foam and one side is fiber. I love it.

'NJDawgPound said:
Wow, you're really doing your research. This is from Wikipedia about IFD and it's pretty accurate: "IFD measures the force (in pounds-force) required to make a dent 1 inch into a foam sample 15" x 15" x 4" by an 8-inch-diameter (50 sq in) disc—known as IFD @ 25% compression.[4] IFD ratings for memory foams range between super soft (IFD 10) and semi-rigid (IFD 120). Most memory foam mattresses are firm (IFD 12 to IFD 16)." I wouldn't use this to judge or buy a mattress, and you don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get a great one. I don't know why SI does not list IFD ratings on Costco.com, but I can tell you that on our 3 layer mattresses there the middle layer is a convoluted piece of foam designed to promote airflow throughout the mattress for both comfort, coolness, and recovery. Visco is just regular memory foam. To oversimplify, the more memory foam, the softer the mattress. The Roma Sera and Serafina are a couple of our higher end offerings, but my basic Costco in-store gel foam mattress can't be beat. On the Roma Sera and Serafina, I never laid down on those so I can't say other than they look nice. I hear from my coworkers that the Serafina is on the firm side. Don't know much about ARA and Sleep Science other than they compete with us at Costco. Our major downside is that there is nowhere to try out the mattresses so you have to have faith in people's reviews or go with a retailer like Amazon or Costco that has a killer return policy. Good luck! Sorry I couldn't help more, I am not a chemist, I just buy/plan the raw materials that go into these things. :)
NJDawg, I appreciate all your feedback. Not only to me (even if I'm looking at your competitors products) but for everyone in this thread who is trying to make a decent mattress decision. That is what makes the FBG boards worthwhile, people sharing their knowledge and experiences. I just found out that Costco had the Sleep Science in the 13" an 14" in a special discount of $300 and $400 respectively last November. But they can't tell me when and if they will do another special coupon deal again. I don't think I can wait for another deal to pop up. I'm sure I will love any choice I make at least for a while, but I'm hoping to find something I can really like for the next 5-10 years, as opposed to having to change mattress's every 2-3 years due to being uncomfortable sleeping. Thanks again.

I just recieved my Costco coupon book in the mail and the Sleep science 13" ara has the $300 off discount again. So $999 vs. the $1299. Great deal and mine will be ordered on April 12th when the coupons are active. They also have the different SS products including the 14" with a $400 off coupon savings. This is the on-line Costco only from what I understand. No shipping and handling charges either. Sometimes it pays to be a procrastinator and over research certain items. I can't wait for better sleeping nights!

Mattress arrived today, can't wait to get a good night's rest for once!!Who's got advice on pillows? Wife and I are both side sleepers, and wouldn't mind something of the latex / foam variety as a base pillow
There is a cool one out there that I like- one side is memory foam and one side is fiber. I love it.
I finally splurged a few years ago on goosedown pillows and will never go back.

In the market for a new mattress/bed and been following this thread a bit.

I'm considering the Serta® 10" Gel Foam King Mattress by Sleep Innovations from Sam's Club ($599). Link

Sorry if this has been answered, but does this type of mattress require a boxspring for support? I'm hearing/reading both yes & no on this. Reason I ask is that I'm looking to get a whole new bed, frame, etc, & want to know what I need to invest in. Frame with metal/wooden slats or solid base/box? Does it matter or is it preference? Thanks.

I'm considering the Serta® 10" Gel Foam King Mattress by Sleep Innovations from Sam's Club ($599). Link

Sorry if this has been answered, but does this type of mattress require a boxspring for support? I'm hearing/reading both yes & no on this. Reason I ask is that I'm looking to get a whole new bed, frame, etc, & want to know what I need to invest in. Frame with metal/wooden slats or solid base/box? Does it matter or is it preference? Thanks.
You can either use a platform frame or box spring (although if using a box spring you may want to put a sheet of plywood on top of it). Comfy either way.

You can either use a platform frame or box spring (although if using a box spring you may want to put a sheet of plywood on top of it). Comfy either way.
Thanks for the quick reply. After reading more, I have a better understanding of why these things need a solid base.Another question for NJDP: how does the Sam's Club model I linked above rate against the Costco bed that's been talked about in here? Comparable? Reason I ask is that I only have a Sam's CLub membership. TIA...

So im in need of a new bed. I will have to read though this thread for more info. A few questions.

1. Is it best to buy online or at a showroom?

2. Are the large mattress sellers better than the smaller ones?

3. What is the best bed for a stomach or side sleeper?

Im open to any price range. Just looking for a quality bed. I tend to wake up with neck and back pain on a regular basis so i want to get something quality. My last bed was a pillowtop king koil. I think i paid like $1400 for it like 5 years ago. It was pretty comfortable. however, im told that for stomach or side sleepers a more firm mattress is ideal?

thanks.

I just wanted to update on our bed purchase. We bought the Sleep Science 13" ARA memory visco foam bed from Costco. They are having a sale that dropped it from $1299 to $999 delivered. It was delivered about 2 weeks ago. From the very first night my wife and I have been sleeping great. We are waking up without all the back, shoulder and neck pains from our 2 year old sterns and foster. We both are feeling much better and more refreshed each morning. For the previous poster who asked about side sleepers, that would be me and this bed is great for that. They say that it can up to a month to get comfortable but it has been great from day one. It has also been nearly record hot in Denver the last couple of weeks and we haven't turned on our AC yet, but the bed sleeps very comfortable, not hot at all. Also virtually no smells at all after they opened it and it unfolded and air it self out. No complaints at all, and I am hoping it stays that way for years to come. I can vouch for the Sleep Science memory beds now, great deal and product.

http://www.ensosleep.com

Bought one of these 3 weeks ago delivered with new boxes for $799.

Mine was a little more on the firm side, and it has relieved all back pain that I was having on my old bed.

There were also no gasses/smell at all. Wife loved that part.

ETA: Hubby of wife's friend at work is a manager at a furniture store. He had the scoop on mattresses. No need to pay for a ton of thickness, it's mostly for show.

Sex or Sleep?

Something surprising is going on in the American bedroom. In droves, people are outfitting their beds with a plush, squishy, and decidedly controversial type of mattress. While these products support the body just-so during sleep, they distress some people during sex. The complaint is lack of "traction," if you get the drift. "It's like trying to do it in quicksand," one owner writes on an Internet message board. New York sex therapist Sari Eckler Cooper couldn't be clearer: "There's a lack of resistance for the knees and feet. And whoever is on the bottom is sinking into the bed."

Then we got to that more delicate matter. "Is it difficult to have, ahem, 'relations' on one of these?" we asked.

The salesman blushed slightly, tripped over a few words, and then provided something of an answer. It isn't so much that it is difficult, he said. "It's just that coils give you bounce, which you don't get on memory foam. It's a lot more physically intense because you're not getting any help from the bed."

Mattress arrived yesterdayTook two days....really fast shippingUPS left it sitting in the rain in front of the garage at noonIt was out in the rain for 30 minutes :shock: The box itself was wet and weighed 94 lbsI manhandled that thing into the house and up the stairs.The mattress itself was encased in plastic and was never in danger of getting wet :thumbup: Mattress was taken out of plastic and exploded into regular sizeTried mattress a couple hours later and it seems very comfyStill waiting on box spring and will get a full night sleep on this thing soonMrs Snapperhead approves also even though she was leery of buying a mattress on the InnerwebsAs of now....ZERO regrets of buying this mattress !!My thanks to FBG for the most excellent recommendations/impressions
how are you enjoying this mattress now that it has settled in? I am considering this one. Also, what about the "traction" as mentioned by matsuki :unsure:

Trying to decide between NovaForm Deluxe Comfort and Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance.

Any thoughts/advice here?

Am I going to regret not buying a Tempurpedic?

You will regret not buying a Comforpedic. Stains come out easily, too.
I will never purchase a Simmons mattress again in my life. I currently have the Beautyrest Black with comforpedic layer and it's a absolute piece of trash. I'm not sure how this compares to the 100% Comforpedic, but I am not purchasing anything from Simmons. When we first got it, I loved it. I thought I had solved my mattress problem for a long time. After 1 year, we started to feel like it might be caving in in our usual sleep spots, but thought it was our imagination. I weigh 180lbs and built like a bean pole, so no way I could be caving it in, right? Even for those times when the wife is also on my side of the bed, that is less weight than many Americans. Now, 3 years later, there are two distinct holes where the mattress has broken down right where our butts are. The comforpedic layer has squished down and the base is breaking down underneath now and its just getting worse. My side is unbearable and leading me to this search for a new mattress, but the wife also has a divot forming as well.I paid way too much money for this thing to only last 3 years.

Really? Damn. I tried out a ton of beds and was never impressed until I tried the Comforpedic. I didn't know anything about mattresses and had never even heard of the brand until laying on it in the store. It cost a cool 2k, but it was one of the best investments I've ever made. Never laid on anything so comfortable. Best thing about it, I haven't sweated once in over a year. I used to sweat like a 500 LB tub of #### too. :shrug:

eta: Not sure what mattress the "Black" is, but we got the Phenom.

Trying to decide between NovaForm Deluxe Comfort and Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance. Any thoughts/advice here?Am I going to regret not buying a Tempurpedic?
If you're going from a spring mattress like the Simmons one you have to a memory/gel memory foam mattress, there will be an adjustment period. How long this is depends but to get the true comfort you have to break the thing in which is why Tempurpedic offers the 90 day warranty. They are counting on you having separated the foam cells so air can pass through and give you the feel that the product was intended to give. I've been in the industry for a few years now. I would put the SI products up against the Tempurpedics any day of the week. Tempurpedic doesn't fuss with their products too much so with that $2K - $5K price tag you are paying for their marketing and advertisement. The marketplace is very competitive and we're consistently beat down marginwise so more often than not you're getting a good deal.Unfortunately, SI's offerings, while offered at very reputable retailers like Sam's, Amazon.com, and Costco, are not in a showroom so you can't try them out. What I would do is go to a showroom, lay on some Tempurpedics, and look at the info with your favorite mattress. Then you can go to Amazon or Costco.com and compare the foam buildup to find a similar SI model and in the process save yourself up to a grand or more. These mattresses come vacuum sealed in a box and are very convenient to have delivered. Do you like a firm or a soft mattress? My wife and I have been sleeping in the Novaform Pure Comfort Gel 12" mattress for almost 2 years now. It's on the firm side but we both love it.

Trying to decide between NovaForm Deluxe Comfort and Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance. Any thoughts/advice here?Am I going to regret not buying a Tempurpedic?
If you're going from a spring mattress like the Simmons one you have to a memory/gel memory foam mattress, there will be an adjustment period. How long this is depends but to get the true comfort you have to break the thing in which is why Tempurpedic offers the 90 day warranty. They are counting on you having separated the foam cells so air can pass through and give you the feel that the product was intended to give. I've been in the industry for a few years now. I would put the SI products up against the Tempurpedics any day of the week. Tempurpedic doesn't fuss with their products too much so with that $2K - $5K price tag you are paying for their marketing and advertisement. The marketplace is very competitive and we're consistently beat down marginwise so more often than not you're getting a good deal.Unfortunately, SI's offerings, while offered at very reputable retailers like Sam's, Amazon.com, and Costco, are not in a showroom so you can't try them out. What I would do is go to a showroom, lay on some Tempurpedics, and look at the info with your favorite mattress. Then you can go to Amazon or Costco.com and compare the foam buildup to find a similar SI model and in the process save yourself up to a grand or more. These mattresses come vacuum sealed in a box and are very convenient to have delivered. Do you like a firm or a soft mattress? My wife and I have been sleeping in the Novaform Pure Comfort Gel 12" mattress for almost 2 years now. It's on the firm side but we both love it.
Thanks for the response! I am switching from a spring with a memory foam layer on top (Beautyrest Black). I would say we prefer something in the middle. Not super firm, but not something we will ever have to worry about sinking into. We went to a showroom and tried the Tempurpedic, and liked several of them (Rhapsody, Cloud, Contour) tremendously, but as I'm sure you know, the prices are very high for those models. Are either of those (Novaform Deluxe Comfort and/or Sleep Innovations Supreme Elegance) similar in style to the Rhapsody or Cloud Tempurpedics?

Thanks again to DawgPound as well for me. Its been quite some time and our memory foam mattress is like new. We love it and would not go back. I will say there have been a couple high dollar spring mattresses I slept on at hotels that were pretty wonderful though ...

Users who are viewing this thread