What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerned Moreno owner (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
I burned a early pick on Moreno in my keeper league due to good things I read about him here and elsewhere. His receiving skills is what enticed me to pick him over other RBs who don't catch the ball much. Looking at last weeks result, I'm getting nervous. 8 carries for 19 yards. Buckhalter also had 8 carries. Hillis and Jordan also got carries. My questions possible for Denver homers:

1) Was his role limited because he was coming back from a knee injury or is McDaniels bringing his NE committee approach to Denver?

2) In his limited preseason action, he showed a nice burst. How did he look on his 8 carries? Obviously 19 yards on 8 carries is pretty bad, especially when gimpy knees Buckhalter did more on the same amount of carries.

3) I also heard that he got banged up again. Could he be turning out to be another first round pick Maroney-like, injury prone, bust?

4) How do you see his role going forward, starting next week at home vs CLE?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckhalter will lead that team in rushing this season,not Moreno.

Knowshon seems to have a bit of Robert Smith in him,i.e., oft-injured - or at least so far as a pro , that's the way it is.. :shrug:

decent talent. is part of the biggest RBBC in the NFL , and that limits his ability , bigtime..

was probably one of the most overrated, overdrafted players in FF this season..

McDaniels isn't going to get away from RBBC.QB sucks. defense sucks.

Denver's time of possession will be in the bottom 5 in the NFL this season

Knowshon seems to have a bit of Robert Smith in him,i.e., oft-injured - or at least so far as a pro , that's the way it is.. :shrug:

decent talent. is part of the biggest RBBC in the NFL , and that limits his ability , bigtime..

Disagree here. Moreno will be eased into the flow, but he is far and away more talented than any other RB on the team. They won't keep him down once he is up to speed. And there will be lots of checkdowns to Moreno, so even when they're behind he should be touching the ball.

WOW

Calm down peeps.

Moreno had Zippy pre-season work. He needs to get his legs under him and get into the flow.

Plus they said he wasn't even quite 100% going into the game.

I think it speaks VOLUMES that they worked him in knowing everything they knew. They obviously want him involved.

I say give it AT LEAST 3 more games.

don't listen to Tanner9199.

The entire O was off-kilter. Orton had a messed up finger, Marshall had no time with the stating O all training camp, Kuper was out, Moreno had missed most of training camp...There were plenty of signs that this O was going to struggle early. Things will get better for this offense. The D isn't terrible either - not great, but better than last year.

If you move him now, you are selling low. Moreno's value is only going to go up.

Knowshon seems to have a bit of Robert Smith in him,i.e., oft-injured - or at least so far as a pro , that's the way it is.. :)

Please qualify this comment....

I'm really worried also. I traded Addai for him in a Dynasty. Long term I like my trade. However I would like to have some production NOW!!!

Moreno has TONS more skills!!!

I was hoping Moreno would have abouts 3/4 of the stats Forte did last year. Lots of Dink and Dunk. Moreno has Sure hands.

How Was Moreno doing on the Pass-Blocking?

If he can't protect he won't play.

Moreno looked tentative Sunday, not a good sign for this season so far. Maybe it's just the injury but he didn't look good to me.
How about Moreno looked like we should have expected, frankly I was surprised he cobbled together as many touches as he had. He is not in football shape yet, He has taken far less snaps with the first team offense and is going to have to slow the game down. Lets also realize that no NFL defense wants to let a rookie show them up. Welcome to the NFL Moreno. I would be a little tentative too if this was my first game back with a knee still on the mend.I would venture its a few games away from any legit production from Moreno, Buck is not the answer.

Buckhalter will lead that team in rushing this season,not Moreno.Knowshon seems to have a bit of Robert Smith in him,i.e., oft-injured - or at least so far as a pro , that's the way it is..:excited:decent talent. is part of the biggest RBBC in the NFL , and that limits his ability , bigtime..was probably one of the most overrated, overdrafted players in FF this season..McDaniels isn't going to get away from RBBC.QB sucks. defense sucks.Denver's time of possession will be in the bottom 5 in the NFL this season
Can Buckhalter handle, say, over 100 carries this year with his injury history?Can we really make a claim about Knowshon being "oft-injured" after one relatively small injury?Isn't it obvious by now that RBBC's still produce very solid fantasy RBs? Did Orton really hinder Forte last season? Does the Denver defense still suck? Is TOP predictive from year to year, and if so, can it help us predict running back success?Some of these questions I don't know the answer to, but I'm guessing you don't either. Knowshon, IMO, is a great buy low, just don't expect immediate results.

Can Buckhalter handle, say, over 100 carries this year with his injury history?Can we really make a claim about Knowshon being "oft-injured" after one relatively small injury?Isn't it obvious by now that RBBC's still produce very solid fantasy RBs? Did Orton really hinder Forte last season? Does the Denver defense still suck? Is TOP predictive from year to year, and if so, can it help us predict running back success?Some of these questions I don't know the answer to, but I'm guessing you don't either. Knowshon, IMO, is a great buy low, just don't expect immediate results.
YesNoYesNoYesNo, because you've got the causal relationship backward.

this was a very weak RB class. Moreno might end up decent but he's not an elite talent. Expectations are too high for him based on last years rookie RB's.

Moreno missed the entire preseason, was at less than 100% and still got the same number of carries as the starter (Buckhalter). Granted, he didn't do squat with them but if Moreno can get an equal share with the starter despite the issues I listed I'd say that bodes well for his chances the rest of the season.

The Broncos didn't draft him in the first round to keep him on the bench. Once he's healthy, he'll play. Whether he does anything is the question. But I believe he is going to get the opportunity to be the primary RB once he shakes off the rust and gets as close to full health as he's going to get this season.

Moreno=stud. Just may take a few weeks.

Trust me, McDaniels didn't draft him to share touches all year long w/ Correll Buckhalter.

Moreno=stud. Just may take a few weeks.Trust me, McDaniels didn't draft him to share touches all year long w/ Correll Buckhalter.
I agree. McDaniels wouldnt trade his franchise QB to take a guy who he doesnt feel is a big time player with his 1st DP ever.Moreno was beat up during the pre-season and its nor surprising he didnt come out and tear it up or get alot of touches.Anyone who started him and felt confident he would put up stats this last week was naive to his injury.

It's one game.

Moreno will be eased into it, not thrown to the wolves. They have enough veterans that will share the workload this year.

If you're in a redraft, I might be a bit concerned, but I would have been before I drafted him, as there didn't seem to be any indication that he would be the lead back/only back going into the regular season. Probably why I avoided him in most redrafts this year. If you're in a dynasty though, calm down. He'll be fine...

Oh, and to the original question of "Could he be another Maroney?" Sure, any running back could. Just like any QB could be another Ryan Leaf, and any WR could be another Charles Rogers. But I don't forsee Moreno turning into a wasted talent...

Moreno=stud. Just may take a few weeks.Trust me, McDaniels didn't draft him to share touches all year long w/ Correll Buckhalter.
I watched that whole game. Moreno look slow and went down when someone blew on him. On the other hand Buchalter looked like the only bright spot out there for Denver.

Didn't watch the game but lets see if we can diagnose Moreno from the gamebook...

1) Was his role limited because he was coming back from a knee injury or is McDaniels bringing his NE committee approach to Denver?
Denver had a very difficult time extending drives on 3rd down. They were 3-12 (25%) in converting 3rd downs which resulted in only 48 plays (20R/28P) and had the ball for only 10 mins in the first half! It appears their offense struggled. Maybe it was a combination of an improved Bengals D, lack of cohesion, and his injury? Digging in further into the game book, Moreno was not even in on the first Denver possession! He made his appearance on Denver second possession and was pretty ineffective running on his 8 carries.

2) In his limited preseason action, he showed a nice burst. How did he look on his 8 carries?
1-10-DEN 16 (8:40) 27-K.Moreno left guard to DEN 21 for 5 yards (99-T.Johnson).2-5-DEN 21 (8:05) 27-K.Moreno right tackle to DEN 21 for no gain (55-K.Rivers).

1-10-DEN 14 (12:33) 27-K.Moreno left tackle to DEN 10 for -4 yards (98-A.Odom).

2-19-DEN 5 (11:38) (Shotgun) 27-K.Moreno right tackle to DEN 11 for 6 yards (91-R.Geathers; 99-T.Johnson).

1-10-DEN 5 (8:23) 27-K.Moreno right guard to DEN 7 for 2 yards (31-R.Williams; 91-R.Geathers).

1-10-DEN 17 (7:03) 27-K.Moreno right end to DEN 25 for 8 yards (31-R.Williams; 58-R.Maualuga).

1-10- (12:01) 27-K.Moreno left end to CIN 49 for 1 yard (58-R.Maualuga).

1-10-DEN 20 (6:32) 27-K.Moreno right end to DEN 21 for 1 yard (29-L.Hall; 58-R.Maualuga)

Run Plays

LT - 2 (-3yds)

LG -1 (5yds)

RG - 1 (2yds)

RT - 4 (15yds)

It appears they ran him off of RT R. Harris successfully 4 times for 15 yards (3.75ypc). 3.75ypc is pretty low for a running back. He finished the game at 2.4 ypc.

3) I also heard that he got banged up again.
Rush Breakdown1QTR - 2 att

2QTR - 1 att

3QTR - 4 att

4QTR - 1 att

I don't think he got banged up...

4) How do you see his role going forward, starting next week at home vs CLE?
This is a quote from the OC, Mike McCoy today. "There will be a certain rotation we're going to have, depending on the way the game is going," said McCoy. "We have a plan going in how to play each guy, and the same thing with the receiver group." McCoy did say that in-game changes will occur if one of the backs has a hot hand.

http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/

Moreno was nowhere near 100%. I immediately noticed it on his first carry. Longterm, Moreno is going to be a tremendous player. Him & McCoy are the RBs to own out of this class. Both will be elite FF players in time (especially in PPR leagues).

That said, you have to be patient (especially with McCoy). I do expect Moreno to put up nice numbers this season once he gets healthy/up to speed in the offense, tho. Until then, I could see Buckhalter getting a fair amount of touches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread