What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Build a Killer Gaming Rig on a Budget Thread (4 Viewers)

I don't know this for sure, so take it with a grain of salt. But I have heard that to use the upgrade, you must have a valid install of XP or Vista in place. Therefore, if you ever have to reinstall 7, you'll have to do XP or Vista first. I don't know if that is the case but it was rumored a few weeks ago.

ETA the link. Win 7 Upgrade That is a very old article so they may have worked something out.
Yeah, I don't know if you need to have it installed or if you can get away with having a valid product key. I do know the MS says you can do a clean install of the OS if you want, which is really all I care about.

SO I have those 2 licenses. I have a friend that worked for MS that says he can get me 3-4 more for about $25 each, so will check that out tonight with him. :shrug:

Ran WinDirStat on the SSD, and saw that the largest portion on it is the pagefile (8 GB). Just to doublecheck....it IS safe to move or get rid of that pagefile with an SSD, correct?

Ran WinDirStat on the SSD, and saw that the largest portion on it is the pagefile (8 GB). Just to doublecheck....it IS safe to move or get rid of that pagefile with an SSD, correct?
Well, any time an application doesn't have enough physical RAM to use, it will go to the pagefile. If there is no pagefile, then you'll likely get a crash.That said, if you have enough physical RAM to basically ensure your pagefile never gets used, then it's fine to disable it. I have mine disabled and it hasn't caused any problems (6GB of RAM in my rig, btw).

Aside from having limited space available, an SSD should have no bearing on the decision to use a pagefile or not.

Zasada said:
SmoovySmoov said:
Well, any time an application doesn't have enough physical RAM to use, it will go to the pagefile. If there is no pagefile, then you'll likely get a crash.That said, if you have enough physical RAM to basically ensure your pagefile never gets used, then it's fine to disable it. I have mine disabled and it hasn't caused any problems (6GB of RAM in my rig, btw).

Aside from having limited space available, an SSD should have no bearing on the decision to use a pagefile or not.
I thought the bigger question was to move it OFF of the SSD. If you use a pagefile, would you want it on your SSD?

Nick Vermeil said:
I don't know this for sure, so take it with a grain of salt. But I have heard that to use the upgrade, you must have a valid install of XP or Vista in place. Therefore, if you ever have to reinstall 7, you'll have to do XP or Vista first. I don't know if that is the case but it was rumored a few weeks ago.

ETA the link. Win 7 Upgrade That is a very old article so they may have worked something out.
In the comments to the article, some dude alleges that the upgrade will just make you come up with a copy of your XP or Vista install CD/DVD. That would make more sense to me, honestly.

Hey Cow, how much space do you have in this case for the video card length. I'm thinking the 5850 and 5870 won't fit without some modification.

ETA, looks like the 5850 is just shy of 10" but the 5870 is 11". Looks like another win for the 5850!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cow, how much space do you have in this case for the video card length. I'm thinking the 5850 and 5870 won't fit without some modification.ETA, looks like the 5850 is just shy of 10" but the 5870 is 11". Looks like another win for the 5850!
My GTX260 fit great with room to spare, no idea otherwise.

Can anyone tell me what advantage the 2nd gen Intel SSD (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) has over the 1st gen product (SSDSA2MH080G1)? The 2nd gen product is out of stock at the Egg and the 1st is $50 cheaper, but I'd like to make an informed decision if possible.

Can anyone tell me what advantage the 2nd gen Intel SSD (SSDSA2MH080G2C1) has over the 1st gen product (SSDSA2MH080G1)? The 2nd gen product is out of stock at the Egg and the 1st is $50 cheaper, but I'd like to make an informed decision if possible.
TRIM support is one thing, I know, as well as more reliable and faster. The Egg is out of stock from that killer deal I got in on. :lol:

**Temporary Thread-Jack**

I just got a new computer myself, but I'm not nearly sophisticated enough to build it solo. I gladly paid the local CPU shop $50 to do it. I'm setting it up now, and I've a monitor that is HD ready. I have VGA and HMDI cables - do I hook BOTH sets of cables up? TIA.

**Temporary Thread-Jack**I just got a new computer myself, but I'm not nearly sophisticated enough to build it solo. I gladly paid the local CPU shop $50 to do it. I'm setting it up now, and I've a monitor that is HD ready. I have VGA and HMDI cables - do I hook BOTH sets of cables up? TIA.
Just DVI - I assume you have DVI yes?

I just got a new computer myself, but I'm not nearly sophisticated enough to build it solo. I gladly paid the local CPU shop $50 to do it. I'm setting it up now, and I've a monitor that is HD ready. I have VGA and HMDI cables - do I hook BOTH sets of cables up? TIA.
Sorry, I misspoke. Yes, I have VGA cables and DVI cables. I do not have HDMI. I'm currently setting everything up and using the VGA cables and the DVIs are not connected, which is apparently backwards from what it needs to be, correct?

Sorry, I misspoke. Yes, I have VGA cables and DVI cables. I do not have HDMI. I'm currently setting everything up and using the VGA cables and the DVIs are not connected, which is apparently backwards from what it needs to be, correct?
Yes, DVI >>>> VGA in terms of everything. DVI is digital, VGA analog.

Yep. Pretty impressive difference. Mostly set-up now, but I'm going to have to make a trip back to the computer store. This is why computers drive me nuts. Brand new, everything out of the bag. I plug in the plug n play keyboard, and it works. Only, when I go to add the product key for Windows 7, the "C" key does not work. At all. Take it off, clean it...nothing. So I use the onscreen keyboard to register. Next time I hit the "C" key, it works. Huh, that's odd. Then I install Office 2007 and of course as I go to type in the product key, the C is not working again. I again use the onscreen keyboard, and restart the CPU. Upon restart, the entire keyboard doesn't work. And it's not the USB connect - the mouse works wherever I plug it in, keyboard no longer works regardless of where I plug it in. :thumbup:

Yep. Pretty impressive difference. Mostly set-up now, but I'm going to have to make a trip back to the computer store. This is why computers drive me nuts. Brand new, everything out of the bag. I plug in the plug n play keyboard, and it works. Only, when I go to add the product key for Windows 7, the "C" key does not work. At all. Take it off, clean it...nothing. So I use the onscreen keyboard to register. Next time I hit the "C" key, it works. Huh, that's odd. Then I install Office 2007 and of course as I go to type in the product key, the C is not working again. I again use the onscreen keyboard, and restart the CPU. Upon restart, the entire keyboard doesn't work. And it's not the USB connect - the mouse works wherever I plug it in, keyboard no longer works regardless of where I plug it in. :football:
Defective keyboard. Easier than most problems.

Yep. Pretty impressive difference. Mostly set-up now, but I'm going to have to make a trip back to the computer store. This is why computers drive me nuts. Brand new, everything out of the bag. I plug in the plug n play keyboard, and it works. Only, when I go to add the product key for Windows 7, the "C" key does not work. At all. Take it off, clean it...nothing. So I use the onscreen keyboard to register. Next time I hit the "C" key, it works. Huh, that's odd. Then I install Office 2007 and of course as I go to type in the product key, the C is not working again. I again use the onscreen keyboard, and restart the CPU. Upon restart, the entire keyboard doesn't work. And it's not the USB connect - the mouse works wherever I plug it in, keyboard no longer works regardless of where I plug it in. :lmao:
Defective keyboard. Easier than most problems.
Yeah, I know. Old keyboard works just fine on the new CPU, new keyboard fails on the old CPU. Still, this is my 4rth or 5th computer, and I'm 0-fer in having it work perfectly out of the box. I have to say this beats the heck out of having to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything like I did on my Micron in 1999.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend following the SSD tweaks link I posted in here earlier. Even though I have people coming over tonight for a Windows 7 Launch Party (how I got my Win 7 for free), I ignored the little voice in the back of my head, and went through the changes last night. It made it slower. Slower at startup...........about 5 minutes to shut down. I had to go back and change what I could back to normal. Still think it hesitates a second when first pulling up Firefox, but it's pretty much back like I had it.

So what did you guys determine is the consensus on a good budget processor/mobo/ram? The i5 and what type of mobo?

I started downloading W7 drivers last night and can't find them for my AM2 nForce 430 motherboard. I'm debating just upgrading the motherboard and re-using the processor, or upgrading the mobo/processor/ram since I'll have all the guts out. I really didn't anticipate spending money on hardware to do the win7 upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
MC, new firmware for your SSD was just released. Apparently this adds TRIM support. I thought it was already in the shipping firmware, but maybe I was wrong.
I will be sure to do that as soon as I get my system up and running. It is sitting unused right now due to waiting on the 64-bit.I am picking up 3 more Windows 7 Pro licenses (64-bit) for $40 each from my friend that used to work for M$, so that is something to get me all on board. :thumbup:

MC, new firmware for your SSD was just released. Apparently this adds TRIM support. I thought it was already in the shipping firmware, but maybe I was wrong.
I will be sure to do that as soon as I get my system up and running. It is sitting unused right now due to waiting on the 64-bit.I am picking up 3 more Windows 7 Pro licenses (64-bit) for $40 each from my friend that used to work for M$, so that is something to get me all on board. :lmao:
why do you need all those licenses?

The video card wait is killing me right now. I've got everything but and it doesn't look like anyone is going to have those ATI cards in anytime soon.

I will be sure to do that as soon as I get my system up and running. It is sitting unused right now due to waiting on the 64-bit.I am picking up 3 more Windows 7 Pro licenses (64-bit) for $40 each from my friend that used to work for M$, so that is something to get me all on board. :popcorn:
why do you need all those licenses?
I have several office systems.
The video card wait is killing me right now. I've got everything but and it doesn't look like anyone is going to have those ATI cards in anytime soon.
Buy.com has one that can be had for $225 shipped right now, search for the Power Color version.

So as I'm considering upgrading myself, I'm not sure what route to go... AMD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103692

or Intel?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115202

?

I'm only upgrading, but I need a new CPU/Mobo + GPU. Tom's Hardware has been pretty helpful, but I'm totally in the dark regarding a solid Mobo (for AMD or Intel) & I'm way in the dark regarding GPU. I think (i'm not home right now) I have an 8800 GTX... HALP.

ALso picked up the Win7 Home Pro upgrade for $30, happy with that.

or Intel?

?

I'm only upgrading, but I need a new CPU/Mobo + GPU. Tom's Hardware has been pretty helpful, but I'm totally in the dark regarding a solid Mobo (for AMD or Intel) & I'm way in the dark regarding GPU. I think (i'm not home right now) I have an 8800 GTX... HALP.

I would go the i5 route, personally.

or Intel?

?

This link shows the i7 to be a significant upgrade over the Phenom.

or Intel?

?

Interesting... considering this is my first "true" upgrade in 3 years, I'm willing to shell out the cash for a very solid CPU, so that may well be worth it.

or Intel?

?

Interesting... considering this is my first "true" upgrade in 3 years, I'm willing to shell out the cash for a very solid CPU, so that may well be worth it.
Love mine.

or Intel?

?

Love mine.
Between CPU, mobo and RAM, you can easily save about $250 on an i5 system vs i7 and get a very similar performance, especially with gaming. Just my 2 cents.

or Intel?

?

Love mine.
Between CPU, mobo and RAM, you can easily save about $250 on an i5 system vs i7 and get a very similar performance, especially with gaming. Just my 2 cents.
Any suggestions on a mobo? I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit on the CPU and toss the $250 to a 2nd vid card and go for SLI...

Any suggestions on a mobo? I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit on the CPU and toss the $250 to a 2nd vid card and go for SLI...
Look at the first page of this thread. It has my build, with the mobo i settled on towards the bottom, an ASRock.

or Intel?

?

Love mine.
It's possible to get a 920 system fairly reasonably - I did go to Microcenter after all and picked up the 920 for $199 and the Asus P6T was $220 at ZipZoomFly.com. That's an extra $100 for the mobo over an i5 system and then you do have to buy 6GB RAM vs. 4GB. My system is mainly for video editing and you're right that for gaming there's little noticeable difference.

It's possible to get a 920 system fairly reasonably - I did go to Microcenter after all and picked up the 920 for $199 and the Asus P6T was $220 at ZipZoomFly.com. That's an extra $100 for the mobo over an i5 system and then you do have to buy 6GB RAM vs. 4GB. My system is mainly for video editing and you're right that for gaming there's little noticeable difference.
Wow, 199 for the 920? Great deal... just checked their website though and didn't see it :shrug: . I'd buy that today for $199 if I could find it.

The wait for the 5800 series cards is starting to kill me. What is the next best option? The comparable nvidia cards are not coming down in price like you would expect. I guess the ATI supply problem is keeping them high.

Users who are viewing this thread