What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (5 Viewers)

Like a bunch of people my age, I started off with the Atari 2600. Adventure, Chopper Command, River Raid, Yar's Revenge, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. I owned both the 2600 version of Pac-Man (an abomination) and ET (there's no word in the English language that properly captures how crappy this game was). Pretty sure that's why I'm so jaded and cynical today.
Honestly, I will never get how someone who owned a 2600 can say that game was that bad. I can understand someone looking back at the game and seeing the flaws in hindsight, and apparently so many people have played the game without ever reading the f'n manual to understand what you were doing. It's the "cool" thing to look back at E.T. and think "what a piece of garbage!" But, it just wasn't THAT bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9BdV6WmGQc

There were hundreds of worse games out for the 2600 and have been much worse since - and that's the biggest reason for the crash and why Nintendo put the "seal of approval" into place. Also, we accepted the abomination of the 2600 version of Pac-Man because that was the closest we were gonna come to having it in our homes (for the time). It was either that or pouring salt on snails.

I'm not saying the game was a great game. I wouldn't put it in a top 10 games list for the system. But it wouldn't fall into a bottom 10 games for the system either.
It absolutely was that bad. I'd play everything and anything back then and I remember thinking that game was a steaming pile.

The only game that was worse was the completely enigmatic one where you wandered around and there were astrological signs and no instructions on what you were supposed to do.
I know that my opinion is being dismissed here because you think I don't know anything about it, but that's entirely false. I purchased the game the Christmas it released for full price with money I received for Christmas. It's not like I'm looking back and saying the opposite of what people believe. It's been my firm belief that people who didn't like the game were morons that couldn't read a manual and learn to play. I still believe that.

What I find odd is that no one complains about Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600. A game made by the same developer as E.T - Howard Scott Warshaw (who also developed Yar's Revenge, by the way). The game was as clumsy as E.T and was even more difficult. I can't imagine trying to play that game without reading a manual. The menu system had to be navigated by the second controller (or was the player control on the second controller and menu using the first? I can't remember, but it's one of those ways). But Raiders is considered by most to be one of the best games on the system, yet it still has most, if not more of the same flaws people complain about E.T.
I sort of remember Raiders of the Lost Ark... I think I was 6 years old when it came out. I didn't understand what the heck was going on.

NewlyRetired said:
The dig for the legendary Atari games in the New Mexico desert got me thinking about what my first introduction to home gaming was.

I am pretty sure my first game console was the Telstar Alpha. I found a video on youtube reviewing it :) http://youtu.be/vLGT7GAq-Dw

What was your first home console you can remember?
Atari 2600. Best Christmas ever. Asteroids and Space Invaders to start with. Later did Intellivision and then the C-64 during high school.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Weren't these like $50 each back then?
The games or the console?

The console was pretty expensive, at $199 on release in 1977. Using a 3% inflation rate puts it at almost $600 in todays money.
For some reason, I want to say games were around $30 each. At least they were in my town. I remember being too young to know better and asked my mom for a $30 bill so I could buy an Atari game. Yeah, I know...

Like a bunch of people my age, I started off with the Atari 2600. Adventure, Chopper Command, River Raid, Yar's Revenge, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. I owned both the 2600 version of Pac-Man (an abomination) and ET (there's no word in the English language that properly captures how crappy this game was). Pretty sure that's why I'm so jaded and cynical today.
Honestly, I will never get how someone who owned a 2600 can say that game was that bad. I can understand someone looking back at the game and seeing the flaws in hindsight, and apparently so many people have played the game without ever reading the f'n manual to understand what you were doing. It's the "cool" thing to look back at E.T. and think "what a piece of garbage!" But, it just wasn't THAT bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9BdV6WmGQc

There were hundreds of worse games out for the 2600 and have been much worse since - and that's the biggest reason for the crash and why Nintendo put the "seal of approval" into place. Also, we accepted the abomination of the 2600 version of Pac-Man because that was the closest we were gonna come to having it in our homes (for the time). It was either that or pouring salt on snails.

I'm not saying the game was a great game. I wouldn't put it in a top 10 games list for the system. But it wouldn't fall into a bottom 10 games for the system either.
I had both E.T and Pacman. E.T was below average.....I read the manual etc. Sub par game though overall. it has urban legend status though I agree.

Pacman was all we would get at the time......but then Atari 2600 Ms.Pacman kicked all kinds of ###....as well as Atari 2600's version of Defender.

I still have my original 2600....joysticks, paddles and the Indy 500 driving paddles and all my carts. Sitting in my attic safely packed away.

I still have my original NES hooked up and my son and I play Tecmo Bowl, Baseball Stars and Bases Loaded from time to time......as well as a cult classic called Friday The 13th (freaking hard game). And yes I played The entire Ninja Gaiden series and beat all of them. Crazy hard games for their time.....and still today.

It absolutely was that bad. I'd play everything and anything back then and I remember thinking that game was a steaming pile.

The only game that was worse was the completely enigmatic one where you wandered around and there were astrological signs and no instructions on what you were supposed to do.
I know that my opinion is being dismissed here because you think I don't know anything about it, but that's entirely false. I purchased the game the Christmas it released for full price with money I received for Christmas. It's not like I'm looking back and saying the opposite of what people believe. It's been my firm belief that people who didn't like the game were morons that couldn't read a manual and learn to play. I still believe that.

What I find odd is that no one complains about Raiders of the Lost Ark on the 2600. A game made by the same developer as E.T - Howard Scott Warshaw (who also developed Yar's Revenge, by the way). The game was as clumsy as E.T and was even more difficult. I can't imagine trying to play that game without reading a manual. The menu system had to be navigated by the second controller (or was the player control on the second controller and menu using the first? I can't remember, but it's one of those ways). But Raiders is considered by most to be one of the best games on the system, yet it still has most, if not more of the same flaws people complain about E.T.
I sort of remember Raiders of the Lost Ark... I think I was 6 years old when it came out. I didn't understand what the heck was going on.
Great game.....beat it. Once you figured out what was going on....easy to beat. But at the time is was extrodinary......inventory system, multiple boards, rooms etc. Cool stuff.

Today it's a POS.

Earth World, Fire World, Air World.

it was a trilogy.......Sword Quest I think?

Stunk to high heaven.......I agree.

Earth World, Fire World, Air World.

it was a trilogy.......Sword Quest I think?

Stunk to high heaven.......I agree.
Angry Video Game Nerd - SwordQuest

I disagree with the ET defense -- I think it really is as bad as its reputation. Even as a little kid I was able to appreciate how bad that game was. Basically you stumble around for 15 minutes, occasionally succeed in finding random stuff if you can get around the glitches, and then it's over. I know that description also sounds like Adventure and other games of the era, but compare the level designs and you'll see something like the best design possible on the system on one hand and mailing-it-in even by 2600 standards on the other. ET is like the Platonic form of shovel-ware.

Is it the worst game ever made? No, because it's actually playable and doesn't feature anything racist or demented like Custer's Revenge. But in the universe of non-broken AAA games, I absolutely do think it belongs in the discussion of Worst Of All Time.
I haven't played the game in over 20 years. I bet I can still beat the game in less than 5 minutes. Nothing random about it. My biggest complaint about the game is that it's too easy and short. But so were most games during that time period.
Played Yar's Revenge for hours on end. It was awesome.

I disagree with the ET defense -- I think it really is as bad as its reputation. Even as a little kid I was able to appreciate how bad that game was. Basically you stumble around for 15 minutes, occasionally succeed in finding random stuff if you can get around the glitches, and then it's over. I know that description also sounds like Adventure and other games of the era, but compare the level designs and you'll see something like the best design possible on the system on one hand and mailing-it-in even by 2600 standards on the other. ET is like the Platonic form of shovel-ware.

Is it the worst game ever made? No, because it's actually playable and doesn't feature anything racist or demented like Custer's Revenge. But in the universe of non-broken AAA games, I absolutely do think it belongs in the discussion of Worst Of All Time.
I haven't played the game in over 20 years. I bet I can still beat the game in less than 5 minutes. Nothing random about it. My biggest complaint about the game is that it's too easy and short. But so were most games during that time period.
Played Yar's Revenge for hours on end. It was awesome.
Yar's was probably the best game on the system. At least in my opinion.

When I was young. Before high school for sure so maybe 10 or 11, there was a cartoon on TV that you could watch about space type stuff. The rub was that you could buy a spaceship that had a gun trigger on the bottom, hold the ship like a gun, and when there was a specific part in the cartoon, you would shoot the bad guys and the ship you were holding would collect your points.

I'm remembering that right, aren't I?

I remember a lot of games that I played. Kaboom!, Super Mario, Nintendo baseball started fights when we were young, Sega Genesis NHL and NCAA football started fights when we were older, there was a nintendo or maybe playstation game that was beach volleyball - kings of the beach or something - that caused brawls when we played. I still remember fondly the Legend of Zelda. Civ 2, I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that stick in my head prior to having the PS2 and now xBox 360 and Wii. Lot's of good titles and good times.

Netflix has the old Super Mario Bros show right now. I puy it on for my kids and they love it. Puts a smile on my face remembering this and that my kids like it.

Off the top of my head, some of the best 2600 games were in no particular order; pitfall, dig dug, ms.pac man, river raid, yars, asteroids, berzerk, q-bert, frogger, adventure, missile command, Montezuma ' s revenge, smurfs. That's what I can remember, lots of terrible games though too.

Insein said:
NewlyRetired said:
The dig for the legendary Atari games in the New Mexico desert got me thinking about what my first introduction to home gaming was.

I am pretty sure my first game console was the Telstar Alpha. I found a video on youtube reviewing it :)

http://youtu.be/vLGT7GAq-Dw

Intellivision. Classics like Nightstalker, Snafu and Fish Fish.
Another Intellivision kid here. Their football game was ahead of it's time.
pretty sure the side scrolling football field was actually 100 yards

belljr said:
Who mailed in the Polaroid of beating Pitfall and got the patch in the mail?

yeah me neither :unsure:
As a wee lad, I must have spent months, if not years getting the perfect score in Pitfall 2 to mail in the photo for the patch or whatever it was for that one. All gold bars, no retreats to the crosses and no thud landings. Had my mom take the photo of the screen, and when it got developed, noticed she managed to place the flash flare in the exact spot the score was. Devastating.

belljr said:
Who mailed in the Polaroid of beating Pitfall and got the patch in the mail?

yeah me neither :unsure:
As a wee lad, I must have spent months, if not years getting the perfect score in Pitfall 2 to mail in the photo for the patch or whatever it was for that one. All gold bars, no retreats to the crosses and no thud landings. Had my mom take the photo of the screen, and when it got developed, noticed she managed to place the flash flare in the exact spot the score was. Devastating.
t and p.... :lol:

I remember working all summer for my family picking corn for our family sweet corn business. For all of that work, we got one day at the end of the season where we could keep the money, at the lowest price of $1/dozen since it was old. My day came and I got $36. Enough to run down to the local TV shop in town and buy my copy of Pac-Man for the 2600. Loved it at that age for what it was.

Yeah my neighbor had atari I got Intellivision. ..we would just swap days of playing.

then he got a colecovision and we played the #### out of venture

Last edited by a moderator:
Yankee23Fan said:
When I was young. Before high school for sure so maybe 10 or 11, there was a cartoon on TV that you could watch about space type stuff. The rub was that you could buy a spaceship that had a gun trigger on the bottom, hold the ship like a gun, and when there was a specific part in the cartoon, you would shoot the bad guys and the ship you were holding would collect your points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Power_and_the_Soldiers_of_the_Future

It existed and I loved it.

Yankee23Fan said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Power_and_the_Soldiers_of_the_FutureIt existed and I loved it.
Holy hell. It was real. They so need to do that again.

This thread has turned awesome. My first computer was a Vic 20. Couldn't play games on it but could run a primitive flavor of basic. Spent countless hours writing my own version of adventure on it. Saving it to a cassette tape - that I couldn't ever seem to manage to load. Good times.

I am pretty sure my first game console was the Telstar Alpha. I found a video on youtube reviewing it :)

http://youtu.be/vLGT7GAq-Dw

Atari 2600. Best Christmas ever. Asteroids and Space Invaders to start with. Later did Intellivision and then the C-64 during high school.
Yep, 2600. Started with PacMan, RealSports Baseball and RealSports Football. I can still hear the crowd roar after a homer.

It is really amazing how times have changed. I remember my first real job in 1992 or so. Shortly thereafter, the office was rigged for a local network and we used to play Duke Nukem and a game I can't remember (you piloted a space ship and blew up other space ships) for hours after work. Several times a week we'd start at 5pm and not leave until 7:30 or so. That was before kids and system admins caught wind of us. Ah the memories.

It is really amazing how times have changed. I remember my first real job in 1992 or so. Shortly thereafter, the office was rigged for a local network and we used to play Duke Nukem and a game I can't remember (you piloted a space ship and blew up other space ships) for hours after work. Several times a week we'd start at 5pm and not leave until 7:30 or so. That was before kids and system admins caught wind of us. Ah the memories.
Likely suspect here is Freespace

Pitfall was pretty good. My first console was the original Pong. I didn't get another until I was 17 and bought the Intellivision. Had better graphics than the 2600 and IIRC first synthesized voices. Then of course there was the great video game crash of 83 when the bubble burst. I really didn't start gaming again until the late 90's and that was on PC.

We did the same thing with Unreal (Tournament?). None of us had ever played multiplayer before. We just lined up in the training room and went at it for hours, laughing like hyenas.

Some of the 1st games I can remember playing on PC would be Kings Quest IV, Arena, Eye of the Beholder, Betrayal at Krondor, Duke Nuke'm, Wolfenstein -- my brother and I would get in fights over who would play Quake on TCP/IP all the time.

Based on the time frame I would say Descent.

One of my all-time favorites early on was Lords of Conquest, which you can still play with Java online if you find it.

I was never a rpg guy...unreal tournament was my first pc multiplayer...i did play 3 full seasons of nhl 98 ...i think...on my pc at 20 minute periods...was a great game

but the one rpg game I did dig was Revenant...first one with live battle I think and I was almost 30 :bag:

Winner winner chicken dinner. Man those were some fun times. Had never really experienced anything like it.

Was going to say that. JD was the game first person shooter for the space ship? If so, it was descent.

I see above now. Great game. Basically Doom with robots and the ability to move in all directions.

OMG...I haven't thought about "Swordquest" in probably almost 30 years. That thing made even "Baby 5-ish" angry. No instructions, just a mini DC comic book that came with each installment. Drop the right sh#$# in the right room? You get a couple of numbers.....that you were never told what they referred to(Turns out it referred to a page and panel in the aforementioned comic where you were supposed to find some hidden clue/word). Horribly executed "game."

And ET was absolutely a steaming pile from jump. Recall cracking that open and playing it for the first time with my cousins. Took about 20 minutes to run into 3-4 glitches and another 5 to "win." We looked at each other and were, like, "Sooo....that's it?!" Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to make it glitch out(which was pretty easy, given that it was basically garageware.) Recall that letting ET plummet into a pit while hitting the button juuuuuust before impact would "get him stuck in the mud" at the bottom. Ace.

We played Doom at our office.

Anyone remember Wing Commander III? Great voice acting with Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell. I spent hours and hours on that game.
Yep. Fun when I was younger. Tried playing again a couple years ago and it was a bit tedious. I preferred Privateer from the wing commander series.

Anyone remember Wing Commander III? Great voice acting with Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell. I spent hours and hours on that game.
Wing Commander 1 probably was the game that really got me into gaming. Loved that series. They had a sequel a few years ago that appeared to open up a new story arc, but they must have pulled the plug on the franchise. RIP flight sims.

Users who are viewing this thread