What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

Started Mass Effect again last night. Despite only having one play through about 3 years ago, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get through it. Still recall too much of the dialogue options so I'm just flash clicking through everything.

Started Mass Effect again last night. Despite only having one play through about 3 years ago, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get through it. Still recall too much of the dialogue options so I'm just flash clicking through everything.
Dialogue can change pretty dramatically based on whether you are friendly or hostile.

Dialogue can change pretty dramatically based on whether you are friendly or hostile.
Yeah - I'm playing borderline ####### as I played pretty much straight paragon last time.

Yeah - I'm playing borderline ####### as I played pretty much straight paragon last time.
Just answer how you feel. Dont try to force yourself one way or the other. Youll be surprised the different options that come up. Just invest in the dialogue skill early to get those extra choices for paragon and renegade.

Insein said:
bigmarc27 said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Beat Last of Us

Its a good story and all but I felt a bit disappointed at the end. I basically sneaked my way past the last group and then had to kill them all when one casually saw me. The game like Uncharted forces you to do a lot of needless killing. Then I had to murder the doctor when I felt like I could of just said out the way #####.

Just a bit let down after all the hype. Gameplay wise this was excellent. Very sleak controls and an innovative sonar system. AI was pretty dumb at times and really good at others. No predictable patterns. The detail was astounding. Every blade of grass and broken down car was unique. The sound and music were fantastic.

The story again was good but the second spring was a let down. Winter was the high point of the game and that ended so depressingly.

So good game almost great but I probably wont play it again.

Pretty much sums up how I felt as well.
See, I absolutely loved it.

Winter was some of the best gaming I can ever remember from a story perspective. The switching back and forth between Joel and Ellie was intense - definitely the high point of the game for me. I thought the story carried great weight to it and thought the ending was appropriate for what the story was trying to do. Killing the doctor was purposeful - he killed one of who knows how many doctors remaining in the world to get Ellie back.

The AI was hit or miss - at one point in the game Ellie's AI had her running in circles in the middle of a bunch of enemies that didn't seem to notice. I re-started and it didn't happen again.

Winter was good. Definitely a unique and memorable experience but it didn't blow me away or anything.

Second spring was just disappointing. I don't need some action packed ending but that was just kind of "here you go."
Seeing the giraffe was one of my top video game moments.

It actually made me think of what my favorite video game memories were.

- The first time I made a sorcerer in the original Bard's Tale

- The first time I finished a season in Madden 99', which was the first year they had franchise mode. The subsequent offseason moves and draft was marvelous.

- The first time I was eaten by a grue in Zork.

I know there's many more, but that moment seeing the giraffe was right up there.

Yea the giraffe was scenery to me. Nothing special.

Well, yea, if you want to be dismissive about it. I thought it was a very cool and unexpected moment in a game whose strength is story and resonance.

The games strength to me was atmosphere and setting. Story was so so. Maybe I expected too much.

Insein said:
bigmarc27 said:
Andy Dufresne said:
Beat Last of Us

Its a good story and all but I felt a bit disappointed at the end. I basically sneaked my way past the last group and then had to kill them all when one casually saw me. The game like Uncharted forces you to do a lot of needless killing. Then I had to murder the doctor when I felt like I could of just said out the way #####.

Just a bit let down after all the hype. Gameplay wise this was excellent. Very sleak controls and an innovative sonar system. AI was pretty dumb at times and really good at others. No predictable patterns. The detail was astounding. Every blade of grass and broken down car was unique. The sound and music were fantastic.

The story again was good but the second spring was a let down. Winter was the high point of the game and that ended so depressingly.

So good game almost great but I probably wont play it again.

Pretty much sums up how I felt as well.
See, I absolutely loved it.

Winter was some of the best gaming I can ever remember from a story perspective. The switching back and forth between Joel and Ellie was intense - definitely the high point of the game for me. I thought the story carried great weight to it and thought the ending was appropriate for what the story was trying to do. Killing the doctor was purposeful - he killed one of who knows how many doctors remaining in the world to get Ellie back.

The AI was hit or miss - at one point in the game Ellie's AI had her running in circles in the middle of a bunch of enemies that didn't seem to notice. I re-started and it didn't happen again.

Winter was good. Definitely a unique and memorable experience but it didn't blow me away or anything.

Second spring was just disappointing. I don't need some action packed ending but that was just kind of "here you go."
Seeing the giraffe was one of my top video game moments.

It actually made me think of what my favorite video game memories were.

- The first time I made a sorcerer in the original Bard's Tale

- The first time I finished a season in Madden 99', which was the first year they had franchise mode. The subsequent offseason moves and draft was marvelous.

- The first time I was eaten by a grue in Zork.

I know there's many more, but that moment seeing the giraffe was right up there.

Yea the giraffe was scenery to me. Nothing special.
Well, yea, if you want to be dismissive about it. I thought it was a very cool and unexpected moment in a game whose strength is story and resonance.

The games strength to me was atmosphere and setting. Story was so so. Maybe I expected too much.

Atmosphere and setting was actually what I thought was cool about aforementioned giraffe scene -- a large portion of the world's population is wiped out, and then out of nowhere there's these large beautiful creatures walking through a semi-abandoned city like nothing went wrong. It's like Jurassic Parks "life finds a way" statement or maybe more appropriately in 28 days later when Cillian Murphy sees the plane flying overhead. Amongst all the chaos, it kinda let's them know it's not all lost.

Just finished Dark Souls - very good.

Next up is either Dragons Age, Sleeping Dogs, Demons souls, or Saints Row 3.

I've got all these through either sales or games with gold. Any recommendations?

Honesty I want to play the Southpark game, but not willing to drop $40 on it.

So my entire family is gone for 10 days. Get back on the 15th. I have a crapton of games in the backlog. Which do I go for? These are all PC.

Play more BF4

Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins (I have all 3, barely started Asylum)

Finish FO:NV

Finish Max Payne 3 (maybe 75% done)

AC 2

Bioshock 2

Spec Ops: The Line

Dragon Age: Origins

I have easily 160 games in my Steam that I have never touched, that is a mere sampling. Will take suggestions.

So my entire family is gone for 10 days. Get back on the 15th. I have a crapton of games in the backlog. Which do I go for? These are all PC.

Play more BF4

AC 2

Bioshock 2

I have easily 160 games in my Steam that I have never touched, that is a mere sampling. Will take suggestions.
Fallout New Vegas is my favorite on that list followed by Arkham Asylum which I preferred over Arkham City.

I will say I thought spec ops was garbage. It was preachy and contrived and the gameplay was a mess. I kept hearing how profound it was, but I felt like it was a waste of 6 hours to finish.

Play more BF4

AC 2

Bioshock 2

Spec Ops: The Line will only take a fraction of your available time.

I'd say finish FO:NV or Max Payne 3 but if you weren't into them enough to keep playing in the first place, it might not be worth it for you to pick them up. I usually find that if I wasn't motivated enough to keep going, there's a reason.

Given you known predilections, I'd say you should do Dragon Age: Origins.

Play more BF4

AC 2

Bioshock 2

Fallout New Vegas is my favorite on that list followed by Arkham Asylum which I preferred over Arkham City.

I will say I thought spec ops was garbage. It was preachy and contrived and the gameplay was a mess. I kept hearing how profound it was, but I felt like it was a waste of 6 hours to finish.
It wasn't preachy - at least any more preachy than Heart of Darkness or Apocalypse Now to whom it owes its storyline. I thought it was a graphically enjoyable game with decent gameplay.

I think I'm going to Watch Dogs and finally pick up a copy of Mass Effect. Never played it despite everyone raving about it, and you can get all three for $30 a Gamestop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Play more BF4

AC 2

Bioshock 2

That's a very solid list.

I rank Batman Asylum/City/Bioshock 2, FO:NV and AC2 are all on the same level in one way or another. They have their pros and cons but IMO you can't go wrong with any of them.

Someone once told me that flipping a coin is the best way to choose anything, not because it gives you the answer based upon whether it lands heads or tails rather once the coin is in the air you instinctively root for the answer you are looking for. As there are no 5 sided coins (or dice) n this case I would use an online random number generator. You'll realize which one you really want to play.

DA:O is an excellent story driven game but IMO the mechanics were at times painful and I put it below the others because the actual gameplay was lesser than the others, even if the story was excellent. I kind of liken it to a better version of KOTOR, awesome game in it's time but today you better be playing because you love a finely crafted story.

I own both Max Payne 3 & Spec Ops and haven't played either yet but if you're gonna jump into Spec Ops but if you are up for some co-op play PM me and I'll gladly jump in.

I think I'm going to Watch Dogs and finally pick up a copy of Mass Effect. Never played it despite everyone raving about it, and you can get all three for $30 a Gamestop.
I don't know which system you play, but the ME trilogy is on sale this week on PSN for $15.http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/03/flash-sale-over-15-rpgs-add-ons-up-to-75-off/
PS3.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

ETA: Ordered. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

(I don't want to start another thread)

Has anyone been to E3? I'll probably get a pass to attend this year but I can only take one day off work to go.

Is the first day, Tuesday, the best day to go for the announcements and plentiful freebies?

All the Crusader Kings II stuff is on sale right now on steam.

I'm really enjoying that game - I only started playing it a few months ago and I cringe when I get the hours played report.

I'm really enjoying that game - I only started playing it a few months ago and I cringe when I get the hours played report.
Ive been avoiding this game because I know I can go into a sleepless hole for days with something like this. 10 years ago, I would have played this game for a month straight.

Ive been avoiding this game because I know I can go into a sleepless hole for days with something like this. 10 years ago, I would have played this game for a month straight.
What kind of game is it, RTS? Turn based strategy?

What kind of game is it, RTS? Turn based strategy?
Looks like turn based that allows you to manipulate EVERYTHING. You can position nephews in power to over throw neighboring territories. Marry off nieces to gain favor. Raise kids to be heirs or neglect them and watch them grow and plot your demise. Im barely scratching the surface. Those that played could explain it better.

Also looking at that PS3 Mass Effect Trilogy it is missing a few Dlc that makes it more interesting. Arrival, Omega, From Ashes, and Citadel. Still to get everything its only $40. If I never played Mass Effect thats a ridiculous deal for about 120 hours of the best gameplay Ive ever experienced. I paid a total of $250 on this series between all the games and DLC and have not been more entertained.

So say I haven't played a football game since the year David Carr was picked by the Texans. I know I'll be blown away by the graphics. But how is the expected franchise mode been in the maddens lately? What about the AI and sliders? That was always my issue. I always wanted a more traditional football feel and got tired of crazy high scores or ridiculous flying DBS.

It's weird about Madden. Everybody ####s on it for being unrealistic and praises The Show for being a great game.

I've now played the show 8 times and have been able to draw 1 walk from the computer. It's totally ridiculous. Madden is 1000x more popular so it'll get more criticism but some of these games are getting free passes.

It's weird about Madden. Everybody ####s on it for being unrealistic and praises The Show for being a great game.

I've now played the show 8 times and have been able to draw 1 walk from the computer. It's totally ridiculous. Madden is 1000x more popular so it'll get more criticism but some of these games are getting free passes.
plenty of people draw walks in the show. Just cuz you suck at the game doesnt make it unrealistic. If you swing at everything youre not gonna walk. :shrug: i suck at the game too so not criticizing. Madden ####in blows. People criticize it cuz it sucks. Lob it up deep every play. Game is way too easy on all pro, way too hard on all madden.

Last edited by a moderator:
So say I haven't played a football game since the year David Carr was picked by the Texans. I know I'll be blown away by the graphics. But how is the expected franchise mode been in the maddens lately? What about the AI and sliders? That was always my issue. I always wanted a more traditional football feel and got tired of crazy high scores or ridiculous flying DBS.
game is still like that. Hasnt changed in years. Its the same ####ty game every year.

Im interested in franchise also. Havent played a good one since 04.

plenty of people draw walks in the show. Just cuz you suck at the game doesnt make it unrealistic. If you swing at everything youre not gonna walk. :shrug: .
God you can be thick. You really think I'm getting up there hacking and then wondering why I can't draw a walk?

A simple google search will show you many have the same problem.

plenty of people draw walks in the show. Just cuz you suck at the game doesnt make it unrealistic. If you swing at everything youre not gonna walk. :shrug: i suck at the game too so not criticizing. Madden ####in blows. People criticize it cuz it sucks. Lob it up deep every play. Game is way too easy on all pro, way too hard on all madden.
Have you played the last few years? Lobbing it up deep play after play hasn't been viable for a long time now.

I know it's cool to rag on madden, and their exclusive deal shuts out competition, which angers people. But it's a pretty solid game of football today. It still has flaws - for me, it's overall player control. I feel disconnected from the game as compared to all pro football 2k8, which is still my favorite overall football game. But Madden has come a long way in gameplay. And you can get it to as close to sim as possible w/ the sliders.

plenty of people draw walks in the show. Just cuz you suck at the game doesnt make it unrealistic. If you swing at everything youre not gonna walk. :shrug: .
God you can be thick. You really think I'm getting up there hacking and then wondering why I can't draw a walk? A simple google search will show you many have the same problem.
ive played mlb the show for years and still hack and slash. Youre 8 games in. Id be shocked if a newbie who sucked at a donkey kong game isnt up there hacking and slashing.

God you can be thick. You really think I'm getting up there hacking and then wondering why I can't draw a walk? A simple google search will show you many have the same problem.
ive played mlb the show for years and still hack and slash. Youre 8 games in. Id be shocked if a newbie who sucked at a donkey kong game isnt up there hacking and slashing.
I'm shocked a guy with such poor punctuation and grammar is literate.

Users who are viewing this thread