What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

Add me to the list of people who couldn't get into the Batman games.

I love Batman. Love the Nolan movies. Dig the character.

But the games just seemed too much like pointless button mashing of underpowered thugs until you reach a ridiculously powerful boss. So unimaginative.

I tried both Asylum and Arkham City and couldn't play neither 10% into the game.
Definitely can be button mashy. You really need to make quite a bit of effort to time your attacks to make it more elegant, but since you can get by with button mashing there is really no incentive to do so. But I didn't find the bosses to be overpowered.
Just came to post something similar, only I don't agree that it's a button masher at all.

You time your attacks. I'm a REALLY picky gamer these days and Batman AA is a REALLY good game. I think you should give it another go and try timing your attacks rather then smash the buttons.
Batman Arkham games use the old-school boss fight techniques that have been used since the NES days. They may seem overpowered, but there's a pattern that you exploit and once you find it, you can defeat them flawlessly. I like to compare the Arkham games to Metroid with some beat 'em up sauce topped on. The two hardest bosses in the series are Fries and Deathstroke - at least in my opinion. (Note: Freeze isn't really hard, but he makes you think out your attacks and you have to use stealth. It took a few tries to find his weaknesses, as he will adjust to your previous attacks.)
Deathstroke is kicking my freaking ### at Peguins hideout right now. I am playing on Normal and every time I get him down to a quarter health..I am getting made.

ARRRR!!!! Gotta beat him tonight. I am only 7% into the game for crying out loud!!
He was very hard. I got so frustrated the first night I fought him (and lost many many times) that I had to take a break for a few days. I was so spent after I defeated him, that I've barely played any of the game since. But I plan on starting it back up this week sometime.

But the games just seemed too much like pointless button mashing of underpowered thugs until you reach a ridiculously powerful boss. So unimaginative.

I tried both Asylum and Arkham City and couldn't play neither 10% into the game.
Definitely can be button mashy. You really need to make quite a bit of effort to time your attacks to make it more elegant, but since you can get by with button mashing there is really no incentive to do so. But I didn't find the bosses to be overpowered.
Just came to post something similar, only I don't agree that it's a button masher at all.You time your attacks. I'm a REALLY picky gamer these days and Batman AA is a REALLY good game. I think you should give it another go and try timing your attacks rather then smash the buttons.
Batman Arkham games use the old-school boss fight techniques that have been used since the NES days. They may seem overpowered, but there's a pattern that you exploit and once you find it, you can defeat them flawlessly. I like to compare the Arkham games to Metroid with some beat 'em up sauce topped on. The two hardest bosses in the series are Fries and Deathstroke - at least in my opinion. (Note: Freeze isn't really hard, but he makes you think out your attacks and you have to use stealth. It took a few tries to find his weaknesses, as he will adjust to your previous attacks.)
Deathstroke is kicking my freaking ### at Peguins hideout right now. I am playing on Normal and every time I get him down to a quarter health..I am getting made.ARRRR!!!! Gotta beat him tonight. I am only 7% into the game for crying out loud!!
He was very hard. I got so frustrated the first night I fought him (and lost many many times) that I had to take a break for a few days. I was so spent after I defeated him, that I've barely played any of the game since. But I plan on starting it back up this week sometime.
Just finished the tutorial (Black Mask breakout). Cant wait to get to that part. I live for boss battles. To me they define a game. Thats why I hate when games lately dont even try to have a final one. Major let down after working so hard to get through a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of you guys like Uncharted 2. I'm on chapter 12, and I feel like this game does a lot of things but none of them very well. Action/shooting, stealth, platforming puzzle elements are all just OK.

Ahhh a couple of days away is all it took. Defeated Deathstroke this morning. Was determined. Now dealing with Anarchy's bombs around Gotham.

Love the game.

Off to play some ball and hit the pool later. Tonight we fight in Gotham.

Been mostly wandering around in FO and don't remember there being so many Raiders with missile launchers before. Encountered one by Friendship Station, and a couple on the way from killing the creepers in Andale to the library for the archives. Blew my #### up. Haven't done a ton of quests, just finished with Those! and got the little kid a home at Rivet City and got through the library. Probably finish with the Wasteland book quest and go to the robot factory. Then it is probably head north to try and remember where that Alien Blaster is.

I misspoke myself. They were overpowered compared to the goons you fight to get there.

I know a lot of you guys like Uncharted 2. I'm on chapter 12, and I feel like this game does a lot of things but none of them very well. Action/shooting, stealth, platforming puzzle elements are all just OK.
I really didn't enjoy the first uncharted at all, but had more fun in the 2nd one. I do think uncharted is an overhyped franchise, but I caught myself having a good bit of fun with it as well.

I was tempted to buy the mass effect trilogy for $30 at game stop last night. But I just knew I wouldn't have time to play them. :(

I was tempted to buy the mass effect trilogy for $30 at game stop last night. But I just knew I wouldn't have time to play them. :(
It is a bit time intensive. Even without all the dlc, you're looking at around 70-90 hours of gameplay for all 3. Unless you blow through and dont do any side missions which defeats the whole purpose.

You should give it a try one day though if you have a month to spare.

I misspoke myself. They were overpowered compared to the goons you fight to get there.
Individually yes, but goons travel in packs. I kind of agree with sjax that if you take on even a decent sized set of armed goons you are probably going to get your hat handed to you.

JMO

Just downloaded Mass Effect. :popcorn:
I am a huge fan of the series but I'm not sure how well the first one is going to hold up. It's 7 year old game at this point. However, if you can get through the first one then it's only going to get better. If/when you decide to get the next one I'd suggest getting a bundle that includes all the DLC. It's much funner to play the DLC as part of the game rather than a replay.

I am a huge fan of the series but I'm not sure how well the first one is going to hold up. It's 7 year old game at this point. However, if you can get through the first one then it's only going to get better. If/when you decide to get the next one I'd suggest getting a bundle that includes all the DLC. It's much funner to play the DLC as part of the game rather than a replay.
Im a bit biased but I believe ME1 is the best in the series for what it offers. The conversation choices and rpg elements are the best of the 3. The space exploration is the best. Character building and storytelling are top notch as well. Where it falls behind is combat. It feels like a 7 year old game in that aspect.

Im a bit biased but I believe ME1 is the best in the series for what it offers. The conversation choices and rpg elements are the best of the 3. The space exploration is the best. Character building and storytelling are top notch as well. Where it falls behind is combat. It feels like a 7 year old game in that aspect.
You convinced me. Probably, going to play through the it again. :hifive:

Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect 1 > Mass Effect 3 (and I'm not really talking about the ending, I just didn't like it as much).

So I went ahead and rounded up all the Keller tapes and raided the armory. Once you get in the vault make sure you pick up the bobblehead, it's easy to miss. The mirv is in need of serious repair BTW. Which sucks. I work my way through all this I would at least like a relatively usable weapon. Also cleaned out Rock Creek Canyons Caves. Bunch of mirelurks and some goodies nothing earth shattering though. I am loving Vengeance though.

Also found a rifle called Victory. Basically it's the Reservist but holds more ammo and lasts twice as long before it breaks. Found it running down the tape in a sniper shack west of Rockbreakers Last Gas. Make sure you got your lockpick skill up it is in a very hard lock locker.

Has anyone else found themselves saving any bottle caps they find after playing the Fallout games? It's probably odd, but I do. Only those from glass bottles, of course.

Borden said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
It's not the age (I still play FO3 all the time) but the style of play that's not my cup o tea. It just seems like "run to the blue spot, shoot the red spot, repeat".

I guess I'm only into the large open sandbox worlds like fallout and Skyrim :shrug:

Borden said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
It's not the age (I still play FO3 all the time) but the style of play that's not my cup o tea. It just seems like "run to the blue spot, shoot the red spot, repeat".

I guess I'm only into the large open sandbox worlds like fallout and Skyrim :shrug:
Yeah I play mostly older games but it was just kind of boring. I will give it another shot down the road. Sometimes second time is the charm.

Borden said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
It's not the age (I still play FO3 all the time) but the style of play that's not my cup o tea. It just seems like "run to the blue spot, shoot the red spot, repeat". I guess I'm only into the large open sandbox worlds like fallout and Skyrim :shrug:
Yeah I play mostly older games but it was just kind of boring. I will give it another shot down the road. Sometimes second time is the charm.
If tou didnt get past the council part where they fibd out Saren is a traitor, give it another shot. The intro is slow. After that it really picks up.

Borden said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
It's not the age (I still play FO3 all the time) but the style of play that's not my cup o tea. It just seems like "run to the blue spot, shoot the red spot, repeat". I guess I'm only into the large open sandbox worlds like fallout and Skyrim :shrug:
If tou didnt get past the council part where they fibd out Saren is a traitor, give it another shot. The intro is slow. After that it really picks up.
I don't think I did but I can't recall. It was all just very meh.

Has anyone else found themselves saving any bottle caps they find after playing the Fallout games? It's probably odd, but I do. Only those from glass bottles, of course.
No, but I do look at buildings and think about how I'd get the to top in Assassin's Creed.

Personally I want a great story more than anything. If you give me a good story I am very forgiving on gameplay issues. And I find most games are of the "run to the blue dot, shoot the red dot" variety...including Skyrim and Fallout.

No, but I do look at buildings and think about how I'd get the to top in Assassin's Creed.
I have said it before but if there is one real world ability I could pull from video games I think it would be Ezio's ability to climb pretty much any vertical face. So much fun to watch.

EYLive said:
If you don't like it by Chapter 12 (really by Chapter 6 or so), you're just not going to like it. Don't worry about it.

I have said it before but if there is one real world ability I could pull from video games I think it would be Ezio's ability to climb pretty much any vertical face. So much fun to watch.
I'm defiantly old now. The only games series I bother with anymore are anything Zelda or Metroid related, but I did get pulled into the AC franchise as well. Did AC get any better after ACIII? III was awful - I never made it past the 15 hour mark.

There is a lord of the rings game or similar that's coming out that is a mix of RPG meets Assassins Creed.

The moment I played the first AC I thought about how great a Skyrim game with AC gameplay would be.

Borden said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
I don't think I did but I can't recall. It was all just very meh.
Definitely give a shot past that. That's really where the gameplay and story open up. IF you're not hooked by Virmire, then you won't be to Mass Effect at all.

God I wish my Xbox wasn't broken. I almost bought the ME trilogy on PS3 the other day since I haven't played it in over a year but it didn't include all the key DLC.

Virmire is a little ambitious. I'd say through your first post-council/citadel mission. But some people prefer the sandbox RPGs to the story driven ones, and Bioware's stuff isn't going to be for them.

Virmire is a little ambitious. I'd say through your first post-council/citadel mission. But some people prefer the sandbox RPGs to the story driven ones, and Bioware's stuff isn't going to be for them.
True. But the reveal there just makes you go "Holy ####!" in terms of the scale of your battle from there on out.

Insein said:
EYLive said:
It is a bit time intensive. Even without all the dlc, you're looking at around 70-90 hours of gameplay for all 3. Unless you blow through and dont do any side missions which defeats the whole purpose.

I'm sure I said it before...but Mass Effect would be a kick ### HBO show.

Insein said:
EYLive said:

If it had the right writers. Otherwise it would really suck. But the source material is excellent to build from (ignoring a bit of ME 3 of course).

Picked up Witcher 2 during Steam sale since reviews were good and Witcher 3 looked impressive during E3. I'm not sure I'm gonna like this game. But I'll give it a shot.

Arkham Origins update: Just beat Slade. Good battle there. Took a bit to figure out I need to hold back on the counters but got him on the 3rd try. This is what I love, a good intense boss battle. And it's only the 2nd one of the game.

Picked up Witcher 2 during Steam sale since reviews were good and Witcher 3 looked impressive during E3. I'm not sure I'm gonna like this game. But I'll give it a shot.
I love this game but it takes quite a bit of effort to master the combat. Seriously being able to combine physical attacks with spells and bombs is a bit of a dance with your fingers but once it clicks it is a wonderfully elegant gaming experience.

It takes some effort but it's a great game IMO.

I love this game but it takes quite a bit of effort to master the combat. Seriously being able to combine physical attacks with spells and bombs is a bit of a dance with your fingers but once it clicks it is a wonderfully elegant gaming experience.

I played through the tutorial stuff with Xbox controller, but I think I'm gonna go mouse/keyboard next time I play to see if I like it better. The menu and quick menu stuff on the controller was weird. Also, I got my ### handed to me in the arena and the game says "Maybe you should play easy." and I think, "yeah, ok".

Agree, once I forced myself to stop button mashing and worked on a few combo moves I enjoyed this much more. Don't sleep on the dodge and roll move either.

Insein said:
EYLive said:

If it had the right writers. Otherwise it would really suck. But the source material is excellent to build from (ignoring a bit of ME 3 of course).
Get the people responsible for the Battlestar Gallactica remake to do it and it'd be pure gold.

I love the Batman games, but I'm sick to GD death of Bane. Bane battle...get ready! Oh, did you beat Bane? he's back, so watch out!

I get that Bane is one of Batman's greatest enemies, and the polar opposite of everything Batman is. But there are so many villains in DC who could show up.

I love the Batman games, but I'm sick to GD death of Bane. Bane battle...get ready! Oh, did you beat Bane? he's back, so watch out!

I get that Bane is one of Batman's greatest enemies, and the polar opposite of everything Batman is. But there are so many villains in DC who could show up.
Yea I didnt understand why Bane is here if this is an Origins story. Doesnt Bane show up much later in Batmans life? Theres a lot of inconsistencies like how the technology is better than Asylum and City but its supposed to be a much younger Batman. Oh well. I guess I can overlook it if thr gameplay is still fun.

Attention PC gamers.

If you like old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate, a new game is coming out today called Divinity: Original Sin. Divinity: Original Sin is an isometric sandbox RPG (with turn-based combat) in which you have a partner: controlled either manually in single-player, or optionally by another player in co-operative mode. It comes from Larian Studios, the team behind the Divinity Series.

I played a bit of the early access and stopped because I wanted to wait for the complete experience upon release. This game is seriously amazing

Edit: Here's a trailer.

Attention PC gamers.

If you like old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate, a new game is coming out today called Divinity: Original Sin. Divinity: Original Sin is an isometric sandbox RPG (with turn-based combat) in which you have a partner: controlled either manually in single-player, or optionally by another player in co-operative mode. It comes from Larian Studios, the team behind the Divinity Series.

I played a bit of the early access and stopped because I wanted to wait for the complete experience upon release. This game is seriously amazing

Edit: Here's a trailer.
20% off for another hour on the Steam sale.

Found the Bethesda HQ last night. Fun place. Lots o' Raiders to take care of. Game continues to be entertaining although the shopping for stuff and taking supplies back to storage is getting a little old. Granted it isn't realistic at all but I would love to have the ability to fast travel just my stuff back to the house - or, what would be pretty cool is the ability to hire someone to pick up your stuff and take it to your house for you that you can call on a whim - of even if I could send Fawkes to go put it away and then come back and meet me which would be the best - he could have his own little adventures being my butler - they could have made a DLC out of that.

Ok, stream of thought typing over.

Insein said:
EYLive said:

Get the people responsible for the Battlestar Gallactica remake to do it and it'd be pure gold.
Wasn't there supposed to be a movie in the works with Matthew Fox as Shepard?

Users who are viewing this thread