What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (6 Viewers)

I'm with Slax in that I basically liked the story in Spec Ops. When somebody mentions "ludonarrative dissonance" in a game review I usually want to smack them, but this game did a really good job of picking up this idea and running with it. I particularly liked the little touches, like how the loading screens progressively got more cynical and bitter as you progressed through the game. Overall, it was a nice counterpoint to the standard story you get in every other shooter.
I have to confess that, at first, I probably didn't "get" what the game was trying to do to me as I was playing. Which is a plus in its favor in itself as it delivered it's message subtly and not with the sledgehammer that most games do. Ultimately, I really enjoyed it. Again, I thought the game mechanics and environment were terrific.

Although it is a little too graphic/violent for my tastes, that was clearly the point. "Feel like a hero yet?"

Cool ending too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys really wondering if spec ops is intentionally based on Heart of Darkness?

Seriously?
Not really. It just wasn't the story I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Huh...there are FOUR different endings?

I'm with Slax in that I basically liked the story in Spec Ops. When somebody mentions "ludonarrative dissonance" in a game review I usually want to smack them, but this game did a really good job of picking up this idea and running with it. I particularly liked the little touches, like how the loading screens progressively got more cynical and bitter as you progressed through the game. Overall, it was a nice counterpoint to the standard story you get in every other shooter.
I have to confess that, at first, I probably didn't "get" what the game was trying to do to me as I was playing. Which is a plus in its favor in itself as it delivered it's message subtly and not with the sledgehammer that most games do. Ultimately, I really enjoyed it. Again, I thought the game mechanics and environment were terrific.

Although it is a little too graphic/violent for my tastes, that was clearly the point. "Feel like a hero yet?"

Cool ending too.
I have had this game on the back burner for a long time, I think it's high time I fired it up.

That is, when I get my rig out of the shop.

Are the Dying Light guys playing solo or co-op?

I would be interested in hearing thoughts on co-op play from anyone who has experience.

Are the Dying Light guys playing solo or co-op?

I would be interested in hearing thoughts on co-op play from anyone who has experience.
Been playing mostly co-op with my brother In-Law on the weekends. We are going to adventure tonight.

It really is a glorious co-op game. But solo is a blast as well. But there are some missions which are made for co-op (at least to be successful with a little less stress).

So much to do and the game is just a gem IMO. My early front runner for (non sports) GOTY .

Just found out our library checks out ps4 games. They are a little behind but a free week to try :thumbup:

not sure if they get m games though :unsure:

Finished Tomb Raider. Definitely picked up the second half. This is one of the fe w games where the searching for treasure didn't feel out of place. Story was still lacking but I did get a chill when she dual wielded at the end.

8/10 solid game with some replay value.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War is an interesting little puzzle game.
I may have said this before, but this is the only game I've ever played where I actually looked forward to reading the text that comes along with each collectable. You could seriously give this game to high schoolers as an educational module for WWI.

DA Origins has me very ticked off. It keeps hanging up on the Archdemon boss. After several lockups I finally got all the way to deciding who was going to finish it and it locked up again. So I had to walk away. Try again tomorrow. I understand there are 4 end sequences. I'll be happy to get this one.

Moved on some in Wolfenstein. I've broken the resistence out of prison - that was a pretty awesome mission and story line. The chick in charge of the prison is nucking futs. Now I'm doing the mission with the baby sub trying to find I guess a German U-boat. Having a hard time with controlling this mini sub.

Overall, the story within the game is fairly entertaining. The graphics are solid.

Yankee23Fan said:
Moved on some in Wolfenstein. I've broken the resistence out of prison - that was a pretty awesome mission and story line. The chick in charge of the prison is nucking futs. Now I'm doing the mission with the baby sub trying to find I guess a German U-boat. Having a hard time with controlling this mini sub.

Overall, the story within the game is fairly entertaining. The graphics are solid.
Local Best Buy has a used copy sitting there for $20. Going to have to pick this one up. Gamestop guy said this game has nearly 18 hours of gameplay. That's huge.

Yankee23Fan said:

Local Best Buy has a used copy sitting there for $20. Going to have to pick this one up. Gamestop guy said this game has nearly 18 hours of gameplay. That's huge.
Yeah I'm enjoying it overall. The sneak/quiet missions aren't that stressful. I usually hate too much suspense and stress in a video game but this one has a decent balance. The takedowns with the knife are entertaining.

Yankee23Fan said:

That's it? That isn't a ton of gameplay for a $50 game.

Yankee23Fan said:

For a single player? It sure is. Most games are in about the 12 hour range.

Yankee23Fan said:

exactly

Yankee23Fan said:

Depends on the game. Skyrim is single player and I probably have 120 hours in. Still haven't done everything.

Yankee23Fan said:

Depends on the game. Skyrim is single player and I probably have 120 hours in. Still haven't done everything.
Well sure - open world vs linear isn't really a fair comparison.

Yankee23Fan said:

Well sure - open world vs linear isn't really a fair comparison.
Yea. Skyrim is very optional for the things you do. If you don't do anything in a game like Wolfenstein or Tomb Raider nothing happens.

I must be an old man now because some of the linear games I'm going through I get angry if I have to keep playing past where they could have ended it.

Users who are viewing this thread