What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (9 Viewers)

Ok, the shooting mechanics in Uncharted are awful. I would use a curse word that I feel is warranted even in polite society but I will not. I've found the crashed plane, cleared that area out, found the map again and am now on my way to find the chick that jumped out of the plane before me. And of course I'm getting ambushed in evey new area of the walk there. That's not a problem. But really, the shooting mechanics just bite. The angle over the shoulder, either shoulder, bites. The targeting system is just a little too hard for my getting older by the moment eyes and not for nothing but this is a video game - why the heck does it take 3 shots to down a regular bad guy? I could see a mid level bad guy, but all of them? Really?

And what was the point of the german sub? Why do I have to walk down several nothing is happening corridors of that ship to get where I was going? It's like they went for realism and missed common sense. At least have something to do in each room like a puzzle or something to get into the next room.

Eh, maybe I was just in a bad mood last night because of the Yankees. I do enjoy the Indiana Jones feel of the character and the story. I like that kind of stuff anyway. So I'm not throwing anything yet. Just not getting the feel for it yet.
Drake is an excellent character. The games (all of them) are pedestrian. Still don't understand why people feel 2 is so great when it's just more of 1 with a few things cleaned up.

Ok, the shooting mechanics in Uncharted are awful. I would use a curse word that I feel is warranted even in polite society but I will not. I've found the crashed plane, cleared that area out, found the map again and am now on my way to find the chick that jumped out of the plane before me. And of course I'm getting ambushed in evey new area of the walk there. That's not a problem. But really, the shooting mechanics just bite. The angle over the shoulder, either shoulder, bites. The targeting system is just a little too hard for my getting older by the moment eyes and not for nothing but this is a video game - why the heck does it take 3 shots to down a regular bad guy? I could see a mid level bad guy, but all of them? Really?

And what was the point of the german sub? Why do I have to walk down several nothing is happening corridors of that ship to get where I was going? It's like they went for realism and missed common sense. At least have something to do in each room like a puzzle or something to get into the next room.

Eh, maybe I was just in a bad mood last night because of the Yankees. I do enjoy the Indiana Jones feel of the character and the story. I like that kind of stuff anyway. So I'm not throwing anything yet. Just not getting the feel for it yet.
Drake is an excellent character. The games (all of them) are pedestrian. Still don't understand why people feel 2 is so great when it's just more of 1 with a few things cleaned up.
2 has far better shooting and platforming mechanics. Huge, huge upgrades.

Its still the same game though. They cleaned up the mechanics but the fundamentals are the same.

Insein said:
jwb said:
Insein said:
Yankee23Fan said:

Its still the same game though. They cleaned up the mechanics but the fundamentals are the same.
But the mechanics are what people don't like about 1

Insein said:
jwb said:
Insein said:
Yankee23Fan said:

But that makes it a billion times better. Totally different feel to the game.

How many gaming fundamentals are there, really? By your argument, sequels with the same basic premise have no merit.

I thought 2 was spectacularly well written from a story perspective whereas 1 and 3 were fun but nothing to write home about. Game play wise I thought all were pretty mediocre (and that extends to Last of Us too, which is basically the same engine and has the same mechanics).

Insein said:
jwb said:
Insein said:
Yankee23Fan said:

How many gaming fundamentals are there, really? By your argument, sequels with the same basic premise have no merit.
The same premise is fine from sequel to sequel. The problem with these games is that even after they made some tweaks in 2, the shooting still sucks. It takes way too many rounds to take the average bad guys down.

I hear the - just wait until 2. I do. I am physically incapable of starting 2 without finishing 1 now that I have started 1. It is one of the few OCD things in my life that controls me. 2 is sitting there right under the case for 1 while 1 is in the system. I could do it. No one is going to stop me. But I would know.

Insein said:
jwb said:
Insein said:
Yankee23Fan said:

The same premise is fine from sequel to sequel. The problem with these games is that even after they made some tweaks in 2, the shooting still sucks. It takes way too many rounds to take the average bad guys down.
Been a few years since I played, but I don't recall ever thinking that (no different than other games, anyway). I do recall it being way more fun, since you weren't fighting the controls and/or the camera.

But in terms of ammo to kill a regular human, this is a tough one for games. Do we really want one shot / one kill (or severely wound?)

Insein said:
jwb said:
Insein said:
Yankee23Fan said:

Been a few years since I played, but I don't recall ever thinking that (no different than other games, anyway). I do recall it being way more fun, since you weren't fighting the controls and/or the camera.

But in terms of ammo to kill a regular human, this is a tough one for games. Do we really want one shot / one kill (or severely wound?)
Just on the kill/wound question.....

In my video game experience there are certain rules to killing games. Standard regular old bad guys that are there for you to get experience points and loads of ammo or credit or whatever should be fairly easy to take down. They are the red shirts in Star Trek terms. Their death should be a given. There will then be a more advanced group of bad guys that will take slightly more to kill. Perhaps they have armor, or are physically bigger or whatever, but there is a clear difference between the two. Whether they have different color clothes or icons, whatever. You understand that this bad guy is going to be harder than the simple easy bad guy. And there will be slightly fewer of these next level bad guys to deal with because they are harder to kill. And then there might be say a mid level boss type guy that takes more to kill, and then maybe another level of guy in between mid level boss and then the true level boss who takes far too much to kill to be realistic but it's a video game.

As an aside, this might come from the original Wolfenstein if I remember it as well as I think I do. The regular old nazi's went down easy and were generally stupid. The next level guys weren't that stupid and took a little more. When you finally got to Hitler you had a tank gun in your hands and standing in front of him point blank it took like 100 shots to kill him. That is the generally acceptable method of killing the bad guys to me.

This game, every bad guy needs three shots or more unless you get a perfect head shot. to the games credit, I have noticed that if I hit a guy in the leg he is obviously weaker because of that but still needs more shots to get him down instead of just dying because he was shot. I guess that is ok - I need a chest shot or two. Ok, fine. But every regular level bad guy? Bit much to me. And my problem - again just me - if you are going to make me do that then you need to make the targeting system easier - either the target system centers itself on the target without me having to do it or there is an auto target feature that just does it for you when you shoot. Granted that takes some realism out of the game but again - I have a guy that jump over a waterfall and catch a ledge 5000 feet over a cliff with his finger tips repeatedly for 10 minutes and not get tired, wet, slip or need a beer. I'm ok with them giving me some less work on killing the regular bad guys too.

The mechanical stuff that you guys are complaining about in Uncharted are the reasons why I like it. I like that you have to aim on your own and that enemies take several hits to go down. Flip those around, and you have the gunplay of GTA, which I'd rather avoid.

Started DMC: Devil May Cry - If I you are looking for something to resonate with your inner disaffected, angst ridden Emo teenager then this is definitely the game for you.
Been thinking about trying that out.
It's actually kind of fun ad considering it is on sale every other month I think it is going to be worth it. I'm very early into it so combat is very difficult if you want to get the combo multipliers (which, of course you do because that's how you level up) and there appear to be a ton of combos as well as at least 5 weapon types (each with their own combos), which need to be used on different types of opponent so it is all kind of overwhelming. Then again early on you can pretty much button mash your way to combat victories but I think that will probably change as you get deeper into the game. I also think it will become more fluid with repetition and I do like the highly stylized visual aspects of combat. It's just really nice to look at.
I figure it will be available for free download on Xbox at some point and then I'll grab it.
It was free PS+ last august or so. I still haven't played it. Maybe I'll check it out.
Story isn't much, seriously it was definitely written for disaffected Emos (is there any other kind?). But I do actually like the way the main character delivers his lines, his reactions seem authentic and are pretty funny at times.
Okay I'm pretty deep into the game and I am enjoying it for sure, the story still isn't great but it is at times, clever, dark and funny. However the combat is still frantic I am much better at it but I don't think I will ever truly master it on the keyboard. There are just too many potential combinations and too many keys that require specific timing to hit the combo successfully. Add to it that each weapon (1 sword, 2 demonic weapons, 2 angelic weapons, three firearms and two lariat type things) has a different set of at least five different combos (that are different depending if you are on the ground or if you jump in the air) and the fact that the game really encourages you to use multiple weapons and combos during each battle (to help leveling) makes for a fun but also frustrating combat experience. The interesting thing is that despite the frustration I am seriously considering a second playthrough because I want to get better at it, so it's not "throw your controller through the window type frustrating".

I do really like the variety of enemies because for the most part they are all creatively very different from each other. You don't get many recycled, more powerful versions of enemies you fought on lower levels, each new enemy requires a different combat approach and I really do appreciate the challenge that provides.

The visual style is also very cool and much different than most other games I find myself playing, I am not sure what I would compare it to.

Overall, despite the frustrating combat mechanics (that I think would only be slightly less frustrating on a controller) it's a pretty fun game. Considering that it frequently appears on sale at incredible discounts I think it is very much worth owning and playing.

I don't think I play many games where there are one shot kills, at least not at the lower levels (in Skyrim you get to the point where you can almost one shot a Legendary Dragon).

Of the games I have played over the last year or so there aren't many where I drop an opponent with one shot outside of a sniper head shot. Typically the more difficult it is to drop an enemy the more difficult it is to kill your character.

Eh, I don't mean to kill the thread again like I was accused of with Fallout 3. I'll stop.
Nah, not at all. it led to good discussion on mechanics / how many shots to kill / etc.

There's a difference in discussing games in an overall sense (like you were with Uncharted), and detailed "I went here, did X, got Y, thought about weapon Z, but instead spent points in Perk A. Maybe I should have taken B?".

The second time I played through Uncharted 1, I felt like the "bad" mechanics actually added to the realism. If you're shooting from behind cover, you're going to miss a lot. And in firefight situations, guys get shot multiple times and keep going. :shrug:

Honestly, if a video game had one shot kills everyone would be up in arms about that decrying how easy it is. :hot:
Nah, that's why the splinter cell game series is one of my favorites. I know it's a different kind of game that uncharted, but if I'm playing a game against human enemies, 1 bullet in the dome should suffice.

I am an incredibly bad video game player. I still have no idea how I beat Uncharted 1 on Crushing mode (Easy, Normal, Hard, Crushing).

Speaking of being bad at video games, how hard is Mortal Kombat X? I ask because it looks awesome but are there way too many combos Ill never be able to do? I played that DC fighting game and got so frustrated cuz I couldt do any combos or remember how to do any of them.

Speaking of being bad at video games, how hard is Mortal Kombat X? I ask because it looks awesome but are there way too many combos Ill never be able to do? I played that DC fighting game and got so frustrated cuz I couldt do any combos or remember how to do any of them.
Yea, fighting games were really great when each character had a handful of special moves. Combos and strings ruined the genre, imo.

Another cool thing about the first few gens of fighting games was that the moves sorta felt natural to what you were doing on the screen or at least had a little rhythm to them. Virtua fighter was imo, the best at this. A lot of the moves sorta felt organic and you felt like you were using your on screen fighters leverage.

I hear the - just wait until 2. I do. I am physically incapable of starting 2 without finishing 1 now that I have started 1. It is one of the few OCD things in my life that controls me. 2 is sitting there right under the case for 1 while 1 is in the system. I could do it. No one is going to stop me. But I would know.
No I get ya. I haven't started witcher 2 yet because I can't make it through 1.

I might have to hate this game. Stuck in the fortress in the big water room where bad guys don't come out until you jump in the room. Died about 20 times. Can't see anything and can't move between the pillars at all to save my life. Which is another thing that bugs me. . The lean or crouch option. . That sucks too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. It's a cross to bare. Bear. Behr. Whatever.

Short PS4 update. Decided to buy MLB15 on release and had all of last week off.

This game is really awesome. I assume that it is fairly similar to previous years but I really like all the various ways you can play the game. I've been playing games through the minors and getting a lot better at the game and its been a fun way to get reacquainted with games that I haven't played in a decade since I went completely into PC gaming.

However, it is still extraordinarily frustrating to say "Ball" in my head and still swing at strike three way out of the strike zone. Put a small hole in the wall the other day that I'll have to fix. Or hang a picture over.

Also, The Golf Club is a fun golf game. It's my go-to game for decompressing when I've had a rough work day.

I might have to hate this game. Stuck in the fortress in the big water room where bad guys don't come out until you jump in the room. Died about 20 times. Can't see anything and can't move between the pillars at all to save my life.
Hardest room in the game imo. I easily died 50 or more times there. You almost have to memorize exactly where every guy drops and take them out immediately. Just a couple of misses and you are done. Very frustrating room.

TW1 was tough for me to get through initially, it really is one of the clunkiest openings for a video game I have played (particularly the voice work and dialogue). I walked away for a good six months after the Prologue because the VO work was so terrible. The combat comes around quickly enough once you get the premise (which I thought was pretty unique and am kind of disappointed they changed in TW2). But the story is the hook for the series, Mass Effect is the only series I can think of that puts as much depth and nuance into the story elements of the game as TW does. After I went back and got into the story my biggest problem with it is the fact that it is a pretty darn long game (that and the inventory system is pretty weak too, then again ME was pretty terrible in that regard too).

Last edited by a moderator:
TW1 was tough for me to get through initially, it really is one of the clunkiest openings for a video game I have played (particularly the voice work and dialogue). I walked away for a good six months after the Prologue because the VO work was so terrible. The combat comes around quickly enough once you get the premise (which I thought was pretty unique and am kind of disappointed they changed in TW2). But the story is the hook for the series, Mass Effect is the only series I can think of that puts as much depth and nuance into the story elements of the game as TW does. After I went back and got into the story my biggest problem with it is the fact that it is a pretty darn long game (that and the inventory system is pretty weak too, then again ME was pretty terrible in that regard too).
A lot can be overlooked if the story is good. Unfortunately I got stuck in a room after the first boss fight and just never went back even though I intended to.

The second time I played through Uncharted 1, I felt like the "bad" mechanics actually added to the realism. If you're shooting from behind cover, you're going to miss a lot. And in firefight situations, guys get shot multiple times and keep going. :shrug:
Ok, then I will rephrase or revise my remarks (since someone said it's ok to do so).

It's not so much that I think the regular old easy bad guys should go down with one shot. I think it's that I would like some of them to. Maybe a little randomness in the shooting system where a chest shot has like a 60% chance of taking the guy down in one shot so that some guys go down in 1, some in 2 and some in 3. That way at least there is some randomness and possibilitiy of getting out of a firefight with the actual ammunition I have.

Again, though I fully admit that part of my problem with this game and many games is my eyes. If the colors on the screen are not easily distinguishible then between getting old, usually playing after a long a stressful day and the fact that I am functionaly color blind as it relates to "close colors" I just can't see that well. It's one of the reasons that I love the GTA games - the colors are so vibrant and borderline silly but it is alwasy easy to tell what is what in that massive city. In fact the worst I have ever been playing the GTA's was the rampage quests at night in Vice City when the bad guys were the biker guys wearing black. Black jackets with a black sky and I would just miss some of them. There was one rampage in a culdesac wher eyou had to drive by kill 30 of them with the bad uzi. The driving and shooting was hard enough - in a good way - but the color scheme if it happened during night made it massively difficult for me.

So much of my complaint or debate on this is absolutely my own fault. I've said it before, for as much as these games are escapism, I also don't need stress when I play. I very rarely will play something on a hard level because frankly, hard is life. I want easy entertainment. And on easy, this game's shooting mechanics should give a little more. The new Wolfenstein does that. I'm going through that slowly on easy as well (the baby face - love that by the way, solid slap in the face when you are starting a game) and some guys will go down with a decent shot or two, some take a little better aiming. Just my preference is all.

This fortress is hell though. The outside stuff and rock climbing was actually amusing. I want to napalm this water room though. I went through it another 10 times or so after my post last night. And I tried everything I could think of to live and just couldn't do it. I know there is a way to do it. It's too early in the game to be near impossible, but I'm just not good enough yet at the shooting mechanics and hiding mechaincs to do it - plus, again, the dark room with the water makes my visuals difficult and I can't see the guys very well for targeting purposes until they are too close to me for me to get out of a single contact without getting hit a few times.

A lot can be overlooked if the story is good. Unfortunately I got stuck in a room after the first boss fight and just never went back even though I intended to.
I seem to recall (vaguely) a glitch that caused me to get stuck in a room early in the game. Pretty sure I had to go back to an earlier save.

The story takes a little too long to develop (it's more of a slow burn) before you start to realize how much story there really is and the efforts that it must have taken to get it all into the game. Frankly there is so much back story on Geralt and the world he occupies that it gets a little confusing trying to keep all the pieces in place.

Another thing about it that I liked is that decisions you make in game really do resonate as you progress and it isn't always obvious when you are at a decision point (or if it is a minor one or a major one), I think they handle that particular aspect better than any game I have played.

I seem to recall (vaguely) a glitch that caused me to get stuck in a room early in the game. Pretty sure I had to go back to an earlier save.The story takes a little too long to develop (it's more of a slow burn) before you start to realize how much story there really is and the efforts that it must have taken to get it all into the game. Frankly there is so much back story on Geralt and the world he occupies that it gets a little confusing trying to keep all the pieces in place.

Another thing about it that I liked is that decisions you make in game really do resonate as you progress and it isn't always obvious when you are at a decision point (or if it is a minor one or a major one), I think they handle that particular aspect better than any game I have played.
Awesome I have to try again soon.

I might have to hate this game. Stuck in the fortress in the big water room where bad guys don't come out until you jump in the room. Died about 20 times. Can't see anything and can't move between the pillars at all to save my life. Which is another thing that bugs me. . The lean or crouch option. . That sucks too.
I know exactly the room you're talking about. It took me approximately one million attempts before I successfully cleared it on Crushing.

I know exactly the room you're talking about. It took me approximately one million attempts before I successfully cleared it on Crushing.
I'm on easy. Might take the same amount of time. I'm not going to lie, I was hoping to catch a glitch somehow by hanging on the ledge for awhile hoping the bad guys would come out instead of me having to hit the water.

Anyway, I decided to start over with a new character in Bloodborne. I love the way the entire game feels so much easier the second time through. Cleric Boss went down on my first attempt with no issue. Gascoigne only got me on my first try because I forgot to equip the special item before I entered his area, but I massacred him on attempt #2. Knowing what you're doing is so much more important than your stats in these games.

Yea, fighting games were really great when each character had a handful of special moves. Combos and strings ruined the genre, imo.

Another cool thing about the first few gens of fighting games was that the moves sorta felt natural to what you were doing on the screen or at least had a little rhythm to them. Virtua fighter was imo, the best at this. A lot of the moves sorta felt organic and you felt like you were using your on screen fighters leverage.
Bump for Shady's post since I essentially hijacked it.

Can anybody tell Shady if the new Mortal Kombat is all combos?

I seem to recall (vaguely) a glitch that caused me to get stuck in a room early in the game. Pretty sure I had to go back to an earlier save.The story takes a little too long to develop (it's more of a slow burn) before you start to realize how much story there really is and the efforts that it must have taken to get it all into the game. Frankly there is so much back story on Geralt and the world he occupies that it gets a little confusing trying to keep all the pieces in place.

Keep your expectations tempered, the game still has plenty of flaws (lots of revisiting locations, so-so graphics and tutorial, a bunch of unnecessary fighting and it really is quite long) but it is definitely fun and lays a tremendous foundation for TW2 which is a real treat to play (visually, mechanics and story).

Keep your expectations tempered, the game still has plenty of flaws (lots of revisiting locations, so-so graphics and tutorial, a bunch of unnecessary fighting and it really is quite long) but it is definitely fun and lays a tremendous foundation for TW2 which is a real treat to play (visually, mechanics and story).
If I'm stubborn enough I can push through.

I'd push through your OCD instead and just read the plot summary on Wikipedia. Witcher 1 remains playable and the story is interesting if you can make sense of it. But the game play is a repetitive and you can definitely tell that English was the second language for whoever wrote the dialog.

I'd push through your OCD instead and just read the plot summary on Wikipedia. Witcher 1 remains playable and the story is interesting if you can make sense of it. But the game play is a repetitive and you can definitely tell that English was the second language for whoever wrote the dialog.
No doubt. Make sure you are playing the Enhanced Edition if you do play it, they went back and fixed a lot of the voice acting issues.

By the end of the game I was really impressed with the character Geralt of Rivia (he's no Ezio Auditore but he's really cool) but it took me awhile to get there.

Anyway, I decided to start over with a new character in Bloodborne. I love the way the entire game feels so much easier the second time through. Cleric Boss went down on my first attempt with no issue. Gascoigne only got me on my first try because I forgot to equip the special item before I entered his area, but I massacred him on attempt #2. Knowing what you're doing is so much more important than your stats in these games.
Yea, exploring/fighting with confidence is a huge thing in this game - even moreso than souls.

thecatch said:
Insein said:
Chaka said:
Insein said:
Chaka said:
Insein said:
Chaka said:

Can't do it. I will endure.

Users who are viewing this thread