What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (6 Viewers)

Chaka said:
pricklypete said:
Wow that dude got lucky and he got screwed over twice. Driver had no insurance, how in the world are no charges being filed?
According to the article, she was cited. Unfortunately, if she wasn't intoxicated or driving recklessly, there aren't any criminal charges that would fit here. She'll get hammered by the state for not having insurance, but unfortunately that won't help him at all.

Has anyone used this site to buy download copies of games:

http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/

We got our children an xbox1 for Christmas so we will have 2 xbox1s in the house. I want to buy the digital version of a game so we can play together on both consoles and don't have to worry about transferring the disc from console to console. Everyone has sales on the disc version of games, but of course the digital versions are never on sale.

Is there anywhere else that you have seen sales on digital versions of games?

We got our children an xbox1 for Christmas so we will have 2 xbox1s in the house. I want to buy the digital version of a game so we can play together on both consoles and don't have to worry about transferring the disc from console to console. Everyone has sales on the disc version of games, but of course the digital versions are never on sale.

Never used that site. It doesn't appear to be 100 legit. I clicked on COD Black Ops 3 and it says he sells you access to an account to download the game and then you play under your gamertag.

Digital sales are rare. If I'm going to buy a game digitally I try to find a discounted psn or xbox card. Sometimes you can get them 10-15% off. As much as I prefer digital games it's not usually worth it. I picked up Rainbow Six Siege Gold for PS4 today. I got the disc version for around $40 while the digital game would have cost $90.

Look into game sharing, it's basically 2 for 1 on anything digital. You just need two live accounts and two xboxs. Beyond that just be patient for deals like what is coming for Christmas/New Years. If you want anything really new game sharing is the only way to go if you don't want to pay double.

Look into game sharing, it's basically 2 for 1 on anything digital. You just need two live accounts and two xboxs. Beyond that just be patient for deals like what is coming for Christmas/New Years. If you want anything really new game sharing is the only way to go if you don't want to pay double.
Will definitely be doing the game sharing. Unless I am missing something, it doesn't look like there is a way around having the physical disc in the Xbox to play unless you buy the download version. Most games won't be a problem, but there are a few that I would like to play with the kids.

Am I the only one who picks Quiet for every mission in MGS5 just so I can see her glorious ####? Oh I don't either

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who generally buys used games it's kind of bummer, but I can't deny how much better downloaded games are (easy, less clutter, not changing discs when you play a new game, etc.).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/technology/as-downloads-take-over-a-turning-point-for-the-video-game-industry.html

SEATTLE — This holiday season could be remembered as a digital watershed for the games business, the moment when the old way of selling video games — on discs in boxes — finally gave way to downloads.

The industry has been pointed in this direction for years. But the signs of a sharp turning point have piled up in the last month, as new data points have painted conflicting pictures of the game industry.

On one hand, recent market research shows that physical game sales declined in November, and GameStop, a leading retailer, reported disappointing earnings that made its stock tumble.

On the other, game companies swear that things are going great. Big titles are setting sales records, and Sony, the leading maker of game consoles, says the latest PlayStation has been selling at a faster clip than any previous generation of the hardware.

Why the disparity?
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

A depiction of the view through a device that Magic Leap is developing, which would insert virtual objects into the user’s real-world field of vision.
In Virtual Reality Headsets, Investors Glimpse the FutureDEC. 13, 2015
Motherlode Blog: Four Moments When Video Games Are Good for Kids (and How to Make Them Even Better)DEC. 10, 2015

A number of factors are at play, but none as significant as the industry’s march toward a future of games downloaded over the Internet rather than bought in stores, analysts said. All mobile games are delivered over the Internet, as are nearly all PC games. But the transition for console games — the biggest segment of the business — has been far slower. Large game files could take hours to download and quickly fill a console’s hard drive.

Now, faster broadband speeds and the bigger hard drives in the latest generation of consoles are reducing those obstructions.

“It finally feels like the inevitable is becoming the inevitable,” said Evan Wilson, an analyst who follows the game industry for Pacific Crest Securities. “It feels like this is the holiday season where it’s finally having a big impact.”

Electronic Arts, the big games publisher behind Madden and Need for Speed, says about 20 percent of its new console games are now downloaded, compared with around 10 to 15 percent last year. For other publishers, the number may be 25 percent or more.
Continue reading the main story
Related in Opinion

Jamdat's
Taking Note: Video Games Could Be Good For Your MindJULY 15, 2015

As a result, it is becoming harder to judge the health of the industry based on sales of physical game discs. NPD Group, a research firm that tracks retail sales in the United States, showed a 7 percent decline in November game sales from the same month a year ago.

Mr. Wilson of Pacific Crest characterized the figures in the title of a research report: “Shockingly Bad NPD Data Shows Big Physical Challenges.”

A couple of weeks earlier, there was similarly grim news from GameStop, the big specialty retailer, which blamed a disappointing earnings report for the period ending Oct. 31 on weak new game software and hardware sales.

Executives at GameStop caused a further stir when they said one of the most anticipated games of the season, Star Wars: Battlefront, had missed their internal sales forecasts during the quarter. The stock of Electronic Arts, the game’s publisher, fell 5 percent the day of the remarks.

The numbers were particularly striking because if game sales are ever going to grow, the time is now. The biggest games of the year have just landed on store shelves — including Fallout 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, and Star Wars: Battlefront — and demand for them is running high among holiday gift buyers.

What is more, the industry is in the sweet spot of the hardware cycle, when the latest consoles from Sony and Microsoft are in plentiful supply and their prices have come down, and game publishers are cranking out titles that better exploit their capabilities.

Sony, for one, says its console sales have never been better. The company reported that it sold 30.2 million PlayStation 4s worldwide as of late November, just days after the second anniversary of the product. By comparison, it took around two years and two months for Sony to ship about 30 million PlayStation 2s — the previous high-water mark for Sony in the game business.

One factor in NPD’s declining game sales is that the research firm does not include games that are bundled with consoles — an increasingly popular option for buying the machines — in its software sales data. But a much bigger reason is that it does not include digital downloads of games in its monthly tallies of the industry.

Liam Callahan, an analyst at NPD, said the firm includes digital sales in a game report that comes out every quarter. For the first nine months of the year, game spending on physical formats was flat compared with the same period in 2014. When digital sales were included, there was an 8 percent increase, he said.

“It’s clear digital downloading is becoming a bigger deal,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities.

After GameStop’s comments about Star Wars: Battlefront rattled investors, a senior executive at Electronic Arts, Peter Moore, said at a conference that there was “no weakness that is perceptible yet in the title.” He reiterated the company’s previous projection that it would sell 13 million copies of the game during its fiscal year.

The bigger threat appears to be for retailers that fail to adjust to the changing market. The list of retailers that have been vaporized by the Internet is long, including Blockbuster in movies, Tower Records in music and Virgin Megastores in both.

GameStop has increased its own presence in Internet-delivered games, but those changes have not moved the needle much. The company’s digital revenue in its last quarter amounted to less than 2 percent of its total revenue. There are limits to how much the company can sell digitally, though, since Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo operate the online portals from which the games are downloaded.

GameStop has tried to diversify beyond video games by acquiring one retail chain that offers wireless products and another that sells and repairs Apple devices. Joey Mooring, a spokesman for GameStop, said the company’s in-store staff members provide guidance for customers. And through its trade-in program for used games, customers can get credits toward the purchase of new games.

“Customers cannot access that expertise downloading a game, nor can they trade in a digital game for currency that can be applied to the purchase of their next game,” Mr. Mooring said in an email.

Eric Lempel, senior vice president for marketing at Sony’s American games division, agreed with the idea that many gamers want to talk to store staff members before making a purchase. The convenience of downloading a game directly to a console is appealing too, though.

“A lot of people are finding it easier to buy online,” Mr. Lempel said. “It’s open 24 hours a day.”

Been playing Fallout 4 nonstop since the release. Finally tried Battlefront Star Wars and what a POS. Every map feels like its an absolute chore to play. It looks and sounds fantastic but thats about it. Major let down.

Downloading Just Cause 3 now for a bit of a Fallout 4 break. Seems like some good, mindless, blow #### up fun.

Downloading Just Cause 3 now for a bit of a Fallout 4 break. Seems like some good, mindless, blow #### up fun.
It is, except the challenges suck balls. Get yourself a trainer if you're on PC to give yourself the skill unlocks from the start.

I have two beta codes for Paladins if anyone wants to join up and play it. It's a cross between TF2 and Smite. Also sort of an Overwatch like game, but the card system (your build) makes it unique.

The quicker GameStop goes out of business, the better.

Good riddance. :bye:
Couldn't agree more.
Why? Serious question.
Well, its pretty clear who likes taking it hard up the ### ...amirite???
So no one has a real answer then? I still don't get it.
I would guess it's because they really lowball you on trade-ins, then sell the game at a ridiculous markup.

Of course, the counter-argument is nobody is forcing you to take their deal or buy their $54.99 used games. But it's a reason not to like them.

Personally, I don't like them because every transaction takes forever. And the push to pre-order everything, with the vague threat of "well, I hope we have one for you on release day" if you don't. Errr, you're a Brick and mortar retailer... isn't having one in stock the point?

Just started Until Dawn (thanks, Andy!). So far, this is cheesy good fun. Cheesy as in "Two girls -- relatives and friends of ours no less -- just disappeared here last year, so let's us teenagers have a party in the same spot on the one-year anniversary of their disappearance" type of cheesy. This is striking a good balance between taking itself too seriously and self-parody, which is kind of inherent in the slasher genre. So far, so good.

Of course, the counter-argument is nobody is forcing you to take their deal or buy their $54.99 used games. But it's a reason not to like them.
That^

Bought the Nathan Drake Trilogy used for $59! to play the multiplayer beta for Uncharted 4 (took it back the next day)... could've bought it a week or two earlier for $30 brand new (digital DL actually)... guess how much I would've been offered had I brought it in? IDK for sure but guessing 20ish

Personally, I don't like them because every transaction takes forever. And the push to pre-order everything, with the vague threat of "well, I hope we have one for you on release day" if you don't. Errr, you're a Brick and mortar retailer... isn't having one in stock the point?
This. It's not so much them asking as I'm sure its part of their job, its the manner in which they use the tactics mentioned above by literally lying to my face. And its not even that as much as it's how those tactics work on all the grandparents and mothers who don't know any better.

I don't really have an issue with their buy/sell tactics.

And (for the fifth time), no I don't want the insurance.

Yes, I'm aware that I can return my game for any reason if I purchase the insurance.

Yes, I'm sure.

No. I don't want to pre order anything today.

Yes I'm sure.

No thanks.

No thank you.

Not today, thanks.

Hmm. I don't do GameStop a lot, but I've been to four or five in the area over time. I've only ever bought games that were under $20 (I'm a trailing edge kind of guy) and have never had an issue. I've never been pressured to pre-order. I've NEVER had them ask me if I wanted to insure a game. Not once. I guess that experience in my area is atypical, which may be why I didn't get the angst.

Picked up South Park Stick of Truth on sale. While I am a fan of South Park I'm not a huge one. Still a couple of hours in this has been pretty good. It's like playing the show. The mechanics are a little clunky but its not a deal breaker level of it. If you like the show I think you'd enjoy the game.

So Dragon Age Inquition GotY version is $24. It's hard not pulling the trigger on this. I want it but can't see playing it for a while, but at that price it's half off the story dlcs without the base game, and this has it and all dlc.

Went retro last night and downloaded the enhanced versions of AoE2, AoE3, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations. The whole package with expansions and dlc was $30 on Steam.

Age of Kings (AoE2) may be my favorite game ever and now it has civs I never played.

Picked up South Park Stick of Truth on sale. While I am a fan of South Park I'm not a huge one. Still a couple of hours in this has been pretty good. It's like playing the show. The mechanics are a little clunky but its not a deal breaker level of it. If you like the show I think you'd enjoy the game.
Love Stick of Truth. The turn based combat is a little stale but I just don't care because they pack so much darn funny into the whole thing. I played through once then almost immediately started another go and I never do that.

I am mostly bummed out that, from what I read, it took so much time from Matt & Trey that they are very unlikely to do another one.

Love Stick of Truth. The turn based combat is a little stale but I just don't care because they pack so much darn funny into the whole thing. I played through once then almost immediately started another go and I never do that.I am mostly bummed out that, from what I read, it took so much time from Matt & Trey that they are very unlikely to do another one.
Yeah the writing covers any mechanic issue.

Love Stick of Truth. The turn based combat is a little stale but I just don't care because they pack so much darn funny into the whole thing. I played through once then almost immediately started another go and I never do that.

I am mostly bummed out that, from what I read, it took so much time from Matt & Trey that they are very unlikely to do another one.
they are making a sequel "The Fractured But Whole" http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-gets-a-sequel-1711511872

Finished my first playthrough of Until Dawn. This is a very good interactive-movie type of game, far better than any of the Telltale games or Heavy Rain. It is basically a slasher movie in which eight overly-hormoned teenagers need to survive the night. It borrows very heavily from Saw, Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Friday the 13th, and I Know What You Did Last Summer to varying degrees, and if you are the sort of person who refuses to suspend disbelief, you will find lots of nits to pick, but otherwise the story is pretty sound with plot twists about where one would expect them.

The choice system seems to work pretty well. Many of the decisions you make are red herrings that have no effect on the story, but some are very important in ways that you might not anticipate at first. On my first run, only three of the eight survived. One died due to a failed QTE sequence, one died cheaply to a sequence where I knew what I wanted to do and couldn't navigate the options presented to me in the right way, and one died due to an idiotic decision on my part. The other two died completely logically -- in satisfying fashion -- due in part to decisions that I had made much earlier. This game does "choice" pretty well.

I'm going to make another run to try to save everybody. For most folks, this is a top-notch rental because you're going to really enjoy your first run and have little interest in a second.

Also, the lighting and general art design are top-notch. The isometric gameplay reminds me a lot of the old Resident Evil games, only much prettier.

Chaka said:

You mean The Fractured But Whole. Yeah, that's not likely.

Got this during the fall sale, was a short game, but I loved it. Had a ton of fun with it.

Explain this to me like I'm 44 and up until now have only played single-player games...

We got Star Wars Battlefront for the PS4.

My son and I both have PSN accounts.

We're sitting on the couch together, each with a controller.

What do we have to do to get onto a game/map where we're both playing at the same time? Don't care whether it's with or against each other.

Users who are viewing this thread