What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (9 Viewers)

Starting Witcher 3, finally. Gonna take my time with this one, unlike MGS V, where I just binged. Giving it a shot on the hardest difficulty.  :thumbup:
Played 5 hours of Withcer 3.  Enjoy it but took a break.  I just played one RPG and needed a break from them.  Been playing NHL

How does WItcher 3 compare with games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls in terms of vastness of the game, game play, difficulty, etc.. ? Fallout series is one of my all time favs, but couldn't get into Elder Scrolls as much. 

There have been multiple people who have suggested I play Witcher 3

How does WItcher 3 compare with games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls in terms of vastness of the game, game play, difficulty, etc.. ? Fallout series is one of my all time favs, but couldn't get into Elder Scrolls as much. 

It's closer to Dragon Age than Fallout/Elder Scrolls, imho. It's an open world, but not really in the same vein as Fallout - there's not that sense of exploration. Much faster combat with special attacks, etc. 

Witcher 3 is a game that I appreciated but didn't particularly enjoy.  The developers poured the heart and souls into this title, and it absolutely shows.  They did a good job of creating a believable world, developing interesting* story lines, and crafting a deep* combat system.  The * items just didn't click with me though.  I personally found most of the plot boring as sin, and the combat was clunky, especially coming straight off Bloodborne.  You also have very limited ability to build your character the way you want, since you're Geralt of Rivia whether you want to be or not.    

Admittedly, I am way in the minority on this, as most people who played it have W3 in their top 2 or 3 of their GOTY list.  I was just hoping for more of a Skyrim where you can build your own character and chart your own course, and this game is not like that at all.  That doesn't make it bad of course, just not what I was hoping for.

Then again, it's heavily discounted now and you'll probably like it more than I did.  And I beat the thing, so it's not like I hated it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Witcher 3 was my GOTY last year (I'm an RPG guy). There's really not a ton of difference between fallout and Elder Scrolls so it's hard to make a recommendation to someone who likes one and not the other. If it's the medieval fantasy setting that turns you off, you probably wont like Witcher either. 

Played 5 hours of Withcer 3.  Enjoy it but took a break.  I just played one RPG and needed a break from them.  Been playing NHL
I did like 10 hours of the witcher and put it down. I had just dropped 60-70 hours in FO4 and realized I just wasn't ready for that kind of questing game again. 

That at was a couple of months back and I'm kinda getting the urge to play it again. 

So, Borderlands was a free download for the 360 with Gold.  I remember the fanfare when it came out, and I love FPS's.  I took a look at some Youtube videos of it at the time and it just didn't interest me enough to buy it.  So when it was free, I decided to try it.  Glad I didn't buy it.  I don't see the fun in it.  Graphics are goofy, game play was bland. Seems like a game from 1995.  Doubt I will play it again.

So, Borderlands was a free download for the 360 with Gold.  I remember the fanfare when it came out, and I love FPS's.  I took a look at some Youtube videos of it at the time and it just didn't interest me enough to buy it.  So when it was free, I decided to try it.  Glad I didn't buy it.  I don't see the fun in it.  Graphics are goofy, game play was bland. Seems like a game from 1995.  Doubt I will play it again.
I actually like the graphics -- they're unique and give it a cool feel IMO -- but yeah my experience was the same as your otherwise.  Tried it for free on PS3 and hated it.  

Borderlands does look dated, I agree and I guess I couldn't fault you for not continuing it based on that but I urge you not to view the entire series that way.  The graphics and game play for BL2 and BL:TPS are light years better.

The thing that the BL series does better than anyone is co-op.  Playing online with four buddies is just a blast from start to finish.  Plus I think the BL series has the best sense of humor of pretty much any series I have played.  The writing, particularly in BL2, is LMMFAO funny at times.

Personally I would suggest that if you can find a group of friends to play with then maybe push through BL.  Or just jump into BL2 with your buddies because I think you will be thrilled that you did.

It's a fun game to run with friends.  Solo, it is boring and bland.

Borderlands does look dated, I agree and I guess I couldn't fault you for not continuing it based on that but I urge you not to view the entire series that way.  The graphics and game play for BL2 and BL:TPS are light years better.

The thing that the BL series does better than anyone is co-op.  Playing online with four buddies is just a blast from start to finish.  Plus I think the BL series has the best sense of humor of pretty much any series I have played.  The writing, particularly in BL2, is LMMFAO funny at times.

Personally I would suggest that if you can find a group of friends to play with then maybe push through BL.  Or just jump into BL2 with your buddies because I think you will be thrilled that you did.
I still play a lot of BL2.  Badass Crater of Badassitude and Tiny Tina's D&D campaign, in particular, crack me up.

I still play a lot of BL2.  Badass Crater of Badassitude and Tiny Tina's D&D campaign, in particular, crack me up.
It's really hard to pick a favorite character but Torgue and Tina are waaaaay up the list.

My buddies and I are about to start BL:TPS this weekend.  Really looking forward to it.

hey guys, I miss posting here. 

Any of you guys played Far Cry Primal? Is it worth a purchase now or worth a purchase when price drops in a few months?

Ignoramus said:
Doh, now I am reinstalling it and texting my son telling him we need to play this again.  BL and BL2 were both fantastic games.

jwb said:
It's closer to Dragon Age than Fallout/Elder Scrolls, imho. It's an open world, but not really in the same vein as Fallout - there's not that sense of exploration. Much faster combat with special attacks, etc. 
I've tried to get into Witcher 2 and love the Elder Scrolls and FO4 but didn't care for it. I will likely try Witcher 3 at some point but don't have high expectations.

And Far Cry Primal is on my to buy list at some point but not even close to done with FO4 and there is a new DLC for Tomb Raider that I will be diving into at some point as well.

I've tried to get into Witcher 2 and love the Elder Scrolls and FO4 but didn't care for it. I will likely try Witcher 3 at some point but don't have high expectations.
Witcher 3 is *far* better than Witcher 2. The combat is a lot less clunky, it's bigger, etc.

Witcher 3 is *far* better than Witcher 2. The combat is a lot less clunky, it's bigger, etc.
I'll give it a try when it's a lot cheaper but I just couldn't get into the story or character. Loved Kingdoms of Amalur which is similar to Wticher 2 in that it's not really open world. We'll see how much Witcher 3 can hook me.

Does anybody still play star wars battlefront?  Is the cooperative mode fun and long lasting?
:tumbleweed:

I played the heck out of the beta hoping it was just the tip of the iceberg and a lot of more cool stuff was coming.  I didn't find that to be the case for me.  It didn't work for me because while I can play COD by myself and not have to rely on teammates for strategy (as long as I stick to death match/team death match), the best game types for SW relied too much of team strategy, which was hard to come by when not playing in a party.

I'll give it a try when it's a lot cheaper but I just couldn't get into the story or character. Loved Kingdoms of Amalur which is similar to Wticher 2 in that it's not really open world. We'll see how much Witcher 3 can hook me.
I picked it up during  a flash sale for $20 figured it was worth it

Fired up the show. Haven't played in a while so I can't remember what the old one looked like. But this looks and plays phenomenal.  I am pitching from behind the pitcher. I love that view.  Just played a pay now game. Couldn't remember some controls. 

Once I figured out how to get full screen I was pumped

Quantum Break to finally come out next week. Reviews should be out tomorrow on April 1st, hopefully they are good. Have loved Remedy's games with the first two Max Payne's (the first being one of my top 5 games ever) and while Alan Wake had some game play issues and wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I loved the way they presented the story and attempted to push the envelope.

The nightmare scenes in Max Payne disqualify it from being a top 5 game.   I loved those games as well but that was one of the most out of place, ill thought out things I've ever seen in a good game.

Got Black Mesa a month or so ago, finally getting around to playing it.  So much fun and nostalgia to the original Half-Life.

The nightmare scenes in Max Payne disqualify it from being a top 5 game.   I loved those games as well but that was one of the most out of place, ill thought out things I've ever seen in a good game.
Can't say I agree, loved that part of it. Although absolutely hated the gameplay aspect of the part in the second nightmare when you were following the blood trails in the blackness. I died so many times trying to fall off / jump to the right trail, so annoying.

Got Black Mesa a month or so ago, finally getting around to playing it.  So much fun and nostalgia to the original Half-Life.
That team has done some fantastic things with that game.  I only wonder what changed that they decided to charge for it on Steam vs it being a requirement from Valve that it stay a free mod.   Did they ever finish the ending?  The copy I have ends at the point Gordon jumps to Xen (which is where the first game went from "best ever" to "meh" anyway). 

Can't say I agree, loved that part of it. Although absolutely hated the gameplay aspect of the part in the second nightmare when you were following the blood trails in the blackness. I died so many times trying to fall off / jump to the right trail, so annoying.

That's the part I was talking about

That team has done some fantastic things with that game.  I only wonder what changed that they decided to charge for it on Steam vs it being a requirement from Valve that it stay a free mod.   Did they ever finish the ending?  The copy I have ends at the point Gordon jumps to Xen (which is where the first game went from "best ever" to "meh" anyway). 
Yeah I agree.  No idea as I am barely using a pistol now.  Anxiously awaiting getting the SMG.

Picked up the Division last night (after two days of trying to get a card, ANY CARD, to work on the PSN store.  That thing is a POS.  Ended up having to load money through Paypal.  Took quite a while to download so only played for 1/2 hour or so but I'm liking it so far.  I'll get the wife on tonight and we'll go dig deeper into it.  Any other PS4 guys playing?

Is the Wolf Among Us good?  It's free so I dl'd it. I might give it a shot to keep me busy until Dark Souls 3. 
Pretty sure that only Episode 1 is free (like other TellTale games).  But it'll give you a good indication of whether that's the kind of game you'll want to pay to see the rest of.

Is the Wolf Among Us good?  It's free so I dl'd it. I might give it a shot to keep me busy until Dark Souls 3. 
I liked it -- Telltale games are always a nice diversion when you're waiting for another game to come along.  Apparently the story is based on a comic book series.  A little strange, but still fun and worth whatever I paid for it.  (Caught it on sale a while ago).

Pretty sure that only Episode 1 is free (like other TellTale games).  But it'll give you a good indication of whether that's the kind of game you'll want to pay to see the rest of.
It's the whole thing. It's a games with golf for this month. When the Walking Dead was the GWG, it was the entire season 1 plus the 400 days dlc. 

bigmarc27 said:
It's the whole thing. It's a games with golf for this month. When the Walking Dead was the GWG, it was the entire season 1 plus the 400 days dlc. 
Ah.  I didn't see it listed in GwG.  I stand corrected.  Let me know what you think.  I don't have that one, but I've heard good things.

My son loves pokemon and we just downloaded this pokken tournament demo. Ugh I think I'm gonna have to buy this for him.

On a related note, I also picked up Tales from the Borderlands (another Telltale game) a couple of months back when it was on sale for $5 or something.  That one was really good and funny as hell in a few parts.  It doesn't have anything resembling the life-and-death feel of Walking Dead, and I don't think your choices really matter at all, but it was very well-written.  You didn't need to know anything at all about the Borderlands world to get it.  

On a related note, I also picked up Tales from the Borderlands (another Telltale game) a couple of months back when it was on sale for $5 or something.  That one was really good and funny as hell in a few parts.  It doesn't have anything resembling the life-and-death feel of Walking Dead, and I don't think your choices really matter at all, but it was very well-written.  You didn't need to know anything at all about the Borderlands world to get it.  
The only Telltale game I've played that I'd say to stay clear of is Jurassic Park.  The controls were so god-awful that it wasn't fun.  And the story was "meh".  But I loved their Back to the Future, as a huge BTTF fan.  I consider it the true and only sequels those movies will ever get.

Users who are viewing this thread