What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (11 Viewers)

I'm really liking it in spite of the fact that I'm a terribad noob. Not only to OW but to FPS games in general. Pretty much the only time I really help my team is when I play Lucio and passively heal or Bastion and gun things down in stationary mode. 
It won't really change much either. *See my post above to Insein* The fun moments are really fun but I think the bad team members/bad team selections are probably about as frequent as the high money gem buyers in Clash Royale. Meaning there's still a large amount of luck involved. 

I don't want to keep comparing it to CR but it is the most accurate comparison and you don't need to drop $60 on Clash Royale. CR actually has more staying power because of card and clan progression. I quit Clash Royale so it's not like I'm trying to give it some ringing endorsement but I'm just so disappointed in this game. 

Like to you said, it's easy to jump into and have fun but damn. Give a clan of faction that moves around the leaderboards. Anything! This game is just so empty. It feels like a beta. There's even a cutscene intro that starts the story then that's it. This game makes me want to dig in and really get lost in but it's like trying to hold onto smoke. Which is extremely disappointing not only for me but them as well. It seems like they put a lot of effort into it but at the same time it feels like a quick cash grab that they could've turned into a(nother) monster franchise. 

My son wants to get Ark Survival and I've got a few questions for the gamers. He's 11. This game is M 17+, which seems a bad idea, but I know some M games are different than others. He has played a ton of Halo and I've got no problem with anything in that game. Can anyone comment on how this compares to Halo in terms of M content? I have no problem saying no to him if I think its not appropriate for an 11 year old. Also, I don't really understand the release situation on this game, but it appears I can buy it now for Xbox One, and I guess he'd be playing a draft or in-development version of the game, but then get an upgrade when the full/final version is released later this year, right? Also, he's said he wants to play on the PC, but I'd prefer to keep his gaming on the Xbox. Is there a significant difference?

tia FBG Gameguys
My 12 year old plays it.  If it is rated M, it must be for blood, which I am maybe not as concerned with as others.  My 12 year old is not into violence or scary things (if we are watching a movie as a family, and it gets the least bit suspenseful, he will conveniently go to the bathroom for a few minutes).  Whenever I watch him play for a few minutes, he seems to be trying to have the dinosaur he's riding attack another dinosaur.  There's probably more to the game, but it seems pretty harmless by todays standards, though there could be a whole lot more to the game than I've seen.

I've put a decent amount of time into Overwatch and there's definitely some things that need improving but it's so fun when your team comes together. Especially those overtime wins. 
PS4?  What's your name?  I've been playing a bit with my wife and a couple friends.  It's always more fun when you're coordinated.

I'm really liking it in spite of the fact that I'm a terribad noob. Not only to OW but to FPS games in general. Pretty much the only time I really help my team is when I play Lucio and passively heal or Bastion and gun things down in stationary mode. 
Same question... PS4?  Tag?

I consider you a serious gamer, so no. This is like Clash Royale for console/PC with R6:Seige mixed in. Zero story or single player, zero character progression, no leaderboards, nothing to keep you going. This game is limited because of it's lack of depth but also because of game design flaws. It's team based but at the same time the "MVP" gets voted on at the end of the match. However, if you switch characters (because of your own team dynamics or the other teams) you won't end up as a MVP option. This might not sound like a big issue but because wins and losses, K/D, etc mean absolutely nothing the MVP is the most important thing. So since there's no reason to help your team (by changing characters), it turns into this weird thing where people are completely willing to lose the game. I say this as someone who plays CoD and Battlefield. This game is game should be a free to play or at least a discounted game.

I just bashed the game hard (because it deserves to be) but there is a very fun element to the game when the stars align. There's also a little thing that pops up when your team is selecting their characters saying "not enough support" or "too much defense" but those really mean nothing (a seemingly common theme in this game) because it doesn't take into consideration map/game type and the other team. 

I have decide that this game is best enjoyed while listening to podcasts. But if that's what you are buying with the intent of then any sports game, Civ, AoE, C&C, Sim, etc would be better/cheaper. I bought it because I was bored and it got good reviews. Don't make the same mistake. If you have a crew of friends, who are tired of the Division or Destiny or R6:Seige then maybe give it a shot. 
It's one of those games that you can pick up and play a  couple of matches and then logoff.  I equate it to Rocket League as far as how much fun/rewarding it is.  I planned on playing it until No Man's Sky came out but now that's been delayed so I don't know what I'll play until August.  I might have to be productive this summer.

DEAL ALERT!

Xbox One 1TB Console - 3 Game Bundle + Xbox One Wireless Controller + Forza Horizon 2 [Emailed Digital Code]

$319

ETA: According to camelcamelcamel the cheapest this unit has gone for since Nov 23rd (all the data they have) is $390

QUESTIONS: I have this in my cart and really, really want to pull the trigger but:

1) I am a lifelong PC gamer (in my 40s) how difficult will the adjustment to the controller be?  I don't want to buy a new TV because I threw the controller through it.  

2) It's easy for me to sit in front of my PC and not bother my wifeish, not so much with something like an Xbox.  She is not a gamer and mocks my gaming, is there any way to bring her into the gaming fold?  Some good, engaging, introductory level stuff that could convince her to join the cult?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I pulled the trigger on the Xbox One (Lara Croft 5 game edition).  Now I really need some help guys.

1) Good games to learn how to use a controller.  I have been an dedicated and avowed PC (keyboard and mouse) player for my whole life and I understand the controller learning curve can be steep and frustrating at times.  So far I am hearing Minecraft is a good way to go on the "non-violent" (or something like that) mode.  My question is will Minecraft really hold my, and my wifeish's, attention?  Also, any other suggestions?

2) Good games to get my wifeish involved.  Again Minecraft seems to be mentioned a lot online as does the Lego series (Marvel Super Heroes seems to be the most popular), Diablo 3, Rayman Legends and Plants v Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Do those games sound like a good jumping off point or did I miss something?

Okay so I pulled the trigger on the Xbox One (Lara Croft 5 game edition).  Now I really need some help guys.

1) Good games to learn how to use a controller.  I have been an dedicated and avowed PC (keyboard and mouse) player for my whole life and I understand the controller learning curve can be steep and frustrating at times.  So far I am hearing Minecraft is a good way to go on the "non-violent" (or something like that) mode.  My question is will Minecraft really hold my, and my wifeish's, attention?  Also, any other suggestions?

2) Good games to get my wifeish involved.  Again Minecraft seems to be mentioned a lot online as does the Lego series (Marvel Super Heroes seems to be the most popular), Diablo 3, Rayman Legends and Plants v Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Do those games sound like a good jumping off point or did I miss something?
Don't forget to look into EA Access.  You'll likely get games like PvZ: Garden Warfare and Peggle (which she'll undoubtedly love) with that.  I love Marvel Super Heroes for a Lego game, but there's so many now (and you're getting it hoping your wife likes it), get one that appeals to her.  For example, if she likes Harry Potter, get those games.  If she's into super heroes, then definitely the Marvel game and the Batman games.  There's also Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and maybe some I'm forgetting.  

I've read that first time game playing wives tend to enjoy games with a solid story like Bioshock and Mass Effect, but your mileage may vary.  I know my wife loves watching me play those games, even if she doesn't play them herself.  

Also, new gamers like a game that allows for co-operative gameplay.  You can sell it as spending quality time with her since it's something you'll be doing together.  Again, the Lego games are awesome for that.  Just don't be that person that gets mad when they aren't playing how you want them to.  That'll burn them out fast.

Unless it's her thing, steer clear from games that are too violent and games that are too hard.  

If she's never played it before and she loves music, Rock Band and Just Dance are still good for a fun time.  

And if those things don't work, just remember that I'm not so good with  advice.  Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?  

Xbox live gold digital 12 month codes are $39.99 on Amazon for now. Solid deal here.

It's weird how trendy game stuff is now. Wish this was around when I as kid. 
I bought two pair... more of the dress shoes although the Duck Hunt pair is pretty cool. When I saw these I was hoping for a better Zelda or Metroid but nothing decent there or non existent. I didn't buy them from Vans though as they are out of plenty. Zumiez.com seems to have all kinds but no t-shirts/accessories, just the shoes.

Don't forget to look into EA Access.  You'll likely get games like PvZ: Garden Warfare and Peggle (which she'll undoubtedly love) with that.  I love Marvel Super Heroes for a Lego game, but there's so many now (and you're getting it hoping your wife likes it), get one that appeals to her.  For example, if she likes Harry Potter, get those games.  If she's into super heroes, then definitely the Marvel game and the Batman games.  There's also Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and maybe some I'm forgetting.  

I've read that first time game playing wives tend to enjoy games with a solid story like Bioshock and Mass Effect, but your mileage may vary.  I know my wife loves watching me play those games, even if she doesn't play them herself.  

Also, new gamers like a game that allows for co-operative gameplay.  You can sell it as spending quality time with her since it's something you'll be doing together.  Again, the Lego games are awesome for that.  Just don't be that person that gets mad when they aren't playing how you want them to.  That'll burn them out fast.

Unless it's her thing, steer clear from games that are too violent and games that are too hard.  

If she's never played it before and she loves music, Rock Band and Just Dance are still good for a fun time.  

And if those things don't work, just remember that I'm not so good with  advice.  Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?  
:thumbup:

Thanks man.  I am looking into EA Access now, I have read good things about Peggle.

Titanfall, Peggle, PvZ, Battlefields, and soon Battlefront? GTFO with that nonsense.
Sorry man, PvZ 1 was great, the sequels are awful in compairison.

Titanfall was t great and is several years old.

Battlefront is a huge letdown.

Peggle? Really?

To each their own....

I really enjoyed Mirror's Edge and am looking forward to the second one.

And isn't Mass Effect under the EA umbrella?

Just picked up shadows of mordor goy edition for $20.  I suck but it's very entertaining so far.  

Nice change of pace from black ops and destiny.  

Except you're stuck playing a bunch of EA games.

If Madden weren't the only football game available I'm not sure Id ever play an EA game again.

Sorry man, PvZ 1 was great, the sequels are awful in compairison.

Titanfall was t great and is several years old.

Battlefront is a huge letdown.

Peggle? Really?

To each their own....
I know that it's cool to hate on EA, but they're hardly even close to the worst gaming company out there.  

I agree on Battlefront, but the rest of the catalog is decent to great.  Titanfall is only 2 years old.  Peggle because he's looking for something his wife would like too.  You also have the Fifa series, the Dragon Age series, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Need For Speed, UFC and Mirror's Edge coming soon.  And that's not including future additions.  

And as for Madden, if you take off the rose-colored nostalgia glasses, you can see that Madden has long surpassed NFL 2K5 at this point.  Yes, I'd love to have competition in football video games, but it's not going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it.  That's not specifically directed at you, Mobbin.

I know that it's cool to hate on EA, but they're hardly even close to the worst gaming company out there.  

I agree on Battlefront, but the rest of the catalog is decent to great.  Titanfall is only 2 years old.  Peggle because he's looking for something his wife would like too.  You also have the Fifa series, the Dragon Age series, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Need For Speed, UFC and Mirror's Edge coming soon.  And that's not including future additions.  

And as for Madden, if you take off the rose-colored nostalgia glasses, you can see that Madden has long surpassed NFL 2K5 at this point.  Yes, I'd love to have competition in football video games, but it's not going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it.  That's not specifically directed at you, Mobbin.
No hard feelings my man! :thumbup:

I think Madden has gotten a whole lot better but gameplay wise it's still not close to 2k. 

The need4speed games are all over the top arcade racers. As somebody who likes sim style games they are worthless to me.

Peggle is essentially a flash game. 

Fifa is really really good so I can't complain there. 

Madden, while improved is still a joke considering it's been in development for close to 30 years. It should be phenominally good. Every year it has new problems and features removed. Don't get me started on their ultimate franchise. It's incredibly insulting that players like Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith are in the game can only be played rented by using real money. 

Mass Effect is made by Bioware and simply distributed by EA so that explains that.

EA has their rep for a reason. They buy out their competitors and then destroy their games. 

Unfortunately 
I came to ME3 after they "fixed" the original ending so I didn't experience the original ending first hand (watched the videos, I get it) but I do agree that carving out the Prothean was a weak ### move.  Although to be honest I think Javik was probably the weakest character (not skill set wise but he was just so...flat).  I also think the backlash was completely disproportionate to the perceived offense, ME3 was still an incredibly fun game to play and really did a great job tying the entire series together and, and I am virtually certain that you agree on this, it had, perhaps, the single best DLC I have ever played.

Not sure what problem people have with Dragon Age, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge etc.

I came to ME3 after they "fixed" the original ending so I didn't experience the original ending first hand (watched the videos, I get it) but I do agree that carving out the Prothean was a weak ### move.  Although to be honest I think Javik was probably the weakest character (not skill set wise but he was just so...flat).  I also think the backlash was completely disproportionate to the perceived offense, ME3 was still an incredibly fun game to play and really did a great job tying the entire series together and, and I am virtually certain that you agree on this, it had, perhaps, the single best DLC I have ever played.

Not sure what problem people have with Dragon Age, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge etc.
Dead Space kicks ###. 

I played Mass Effect 3 later on / I thought it was good. I thought talking to everyone before the final encounter was cool.  It wasn't as memorable for me as the first two but I liked it. 

The From Ashes DLC essentially took the finished game and charged $70 to play it. It wasn't like they worked on additional material after the game wrapped. They carved it out and sold it.

Yes I bought all of it but that's not the point. EA holds you hostage a lot of the time because they bought the franchises that you love. So you are forced to play their game. 

Insein said:
The From Ashes DLC essentially took the finished game and charged $70 to play it. It wasn't like they worked on additional material after the game wrapped. They carved it out and sold it.

Yes I bought all of it but that's not the point. EA holds you hostage a lot of the time because they bought the franchises that you love. So you are forced to play their game. 
Totally agree about From Ashes (as I mentioned in my post) but my larger point is that the game was still excellent (with our without From Ashes).  So long as they don't mess with the creative control of the developers I am willing to deal with their B.S.

ETA: They're still ######## but when they drop another ME game, I'm in and I am pretty sure that you are too.

Totally agree about From Ashes (as I mentioned in my post) but my larger point is that the game was still excellent (with our without From Ashes).  So long as they don't mess with the creative control of the developers I am willing to deal with their B.S.

ETA: They're still ######## but when they drop another ME game, I'm in and I am pretty sure that you are too.
That's what I mean by they held us hostage. Of course I'm getting the new Mass Effect. 

But I do feel they are messing with the creative control. The ending of ME3 was rushed as hell. That's evident by coming up with a much less aggravating ending only 3 months later as a free dlc apology. Hudson gets the blame for writing it on his own but I think he was mandated to deliver the product by end of Q1 2012 regardless of its state. So maybe they wanted some revisions to the ending they had in mind and had no time to formally redraft it. So Hudson took it on his own to quickly write up an ending that didn't really deliver what they promised to meet the fiscal requirement of their deal.

That's what I mean by they held us hostage. Of course I'm getting the new Mass Effect. 

But I do feel they are messing with the creative control. The ending of ME3 was rushed as hell. That's evident by coming up with a much less aggravating ending only 3 months later as a free dlc apology. Hudson gets the blame for writing it on his own but I think he was mandated to deliver the product by end of Q1 2012 regardless of its state. So maybe they wanted some revisions to the ending they had in mind and had no time to formally redraft it. So Hudson took it on his own to quickly write up an ending that didn't really deliver what they promised to meet the fiscal requirement of their deal.
Did Hudson blame it on a deadline at some point? I read an interview somewhere that indicated that some of the junior writers disagreed with Hudson's creative decision in terms of how to present the ending, but got overruled. I don't recall reading that they were forced into that by EA breathing down their necks. 

Questions regarding Xbox One games (I haven't felt like this much of a newb gamer in years):

1) I presume the digital downloads are preferable to physical media?  Faster response times and all that?

2) What is a good price for DDL games?  For example: I see The Witcher 3 download is $25 right now, as a PC gamer that still seems high for a sale price but how does it stack up as an Xbox big release game sale price?

3) I got the 1 TB model, seems like a lot of space but is it?  If not, will any drive work? Is there an external drive that people in here think stands out as better than others?

Did Hudson blame it on a deadline at some point? I read an interview somewhere that indicated that some of the junior writers disagreed with Hudson's creative decision in terms of how to present the ending, but got overruled. I don't recall reading that they were forced into that by EA breathing down their necks. 
He never blamed the deadline but why else would the lead producer who has been there from day 1 suddenly tear control from his writers? He's taking the heat.

Questions regarding Xbox One games (I haven't felt like this much of a newb gamer in years):

1) I presume the digital downloads are preferable to physical media?  Faster response times and all that?

2) What is a good price for DDL games?  For example: I see The Witcher 3 download is $25 right now, as a PC gamer that still seems high for a sale price but how does it stack up as an Xbox big release game sale price?

3) I got the 1 TB model, seems like a lot of space but is it?  If not, will any drive work? Is there an external drive that people in here think stands out as better than others?
1) I don't know if it's any faster, but not having to put in the discs is a huge plus in my mind. I'm a guy that might have three different games going at once, so this is a big benefit to me.

2) You will get 8 million opinions and arguments on this. Some people are very sensitive and passionate about game pricing. Personally, I'm a gamer, I really like games, and I buy games. I'll pay $59.99 for a 12-hour game if its good. The Witcher 3 is easily worth 25 bucks (it's a lot longer than 12 hours too.)

All that said, I have noticed console games do not get the deep discounting PC games have gotten over the years. Even five year old games still sell for $19.99 or $29.99 new. This is somewhat offset by "Games with Gold" that gives some decent older games free, and deep discounts on others. 

3) Most games are 30-50gb in size, and require a full install. So 1TB is probably 20-25 games or so. I bought an external 3TB hdd for about $100. Any USB 3.0 external drive will work.  

1) I don't know if it's any faster, but not having to put in the discs is a huge plus in my mind. I'm a guy that might have three different games going at once, so this is a big benefit to me.

2) You will get 8 million opinions and arguments on this. Some people are very sensitive and passionate about game pricing. Personally, I'm a gamer, I really like games, and I buy games. I'll pay $59.99 for a 12-hour game if its good. The Witcher 3 is easily worth 25 bucks (it's a lot longer than 12 hours too.)

All that said, I have noticed console games do not get the deep discounting PC games have gotten over the years. Even five year old games still sell for $19.99 or $29.99 new. This is somewhat offset by "Games with Gold" that gives some decent older games free, and deep discounts on others. 

3) Most games are 30-50gb in size, and require a full install. So 1TB is probably 20-25 games or so. I bought an external 3TB hdd for about $100. Any USB 3.0 external drive will work.  
:thumbup:

EA can go die in a hole and be buried alongside Activision while they get peed on every day. Please do not confuse the games they develope and the games they publish. Dragon Age, The Sims, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Titanfall, and basically every good game associated with them is not made by them, only published. On top of that they do there best in ruining the games and lower the quality for the sake of money. But boy do they rake in the bank and that is all what matters to their investors, so they are damn good at doing their job. Sadly that doesn't coincide with gamers.

EA can go die in a hole and be buried alongside Activision while they get peed on every day. Please do not confuse the games they develope and the games they publish. Dragon Age, The Sims, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Titanfall, and basically every good game associated with them is not made by them, only published. On top of that they do there best in ruining the games and lower the quality for the sake of money. But boy do they rake in the bank and that is all what matters to their investors, so they are damn good at doing their job. Sadly that doesn't coincide with gamers.

:applause:

This will be the first year in some time where I don't get Madden and FIFA at launch because of the shoving of Ultimate Team down our throats. We're nothing but ATMs to EA.

I agree on every point.  But so long as they publish good games, which they do, I'm in.

EA owns Bioware, Visceral Games and EA Maxis so saying they are only responsible for publishing every game on that list except Titanfall is false. (They don't own Respawn)

Users who are viewing this thread