What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (13 Viewers)

The andromeda reviews are honestly pretty awful compared to expectation. A game with that much money behind rarely goes below 8, but Gamespot gave it a 6.

thats unfortunate.

The andromeda reviews are honestly pretty awful compared to expectation. A game with that much money behind rarely goes below 8, but Gamespot gave it a 6.

thats unfortunate.
Don't buy the hate. There's a pretty big hate storm swirling and I don't understand why. People that are playing it say it looks amazing and anyone critiquing the story is an idiot because we've basically received the tutorial missions to play during the trial.

Every single tweet by @masseffect right now on Twitter is bombarded with the same people calling them sexist for no Sara Ryder trailer, money hungry just because its EA or making a terrible looking game because the frostbite engine is still new. 

The game looks amazing. It's going to be a long one. Think Witcher 3 in space but with Mass Effect stuff and Bioware writing.  I do have some minor gripes like voice acting for side characters and some of the lighting is weird at times but very minor stuff. The combat is completely revamped which it has been with every new ME game anyway. So that's nothing new. 

Point is, this game looks and plays pretty good so far. If the story can match, this will be GOTY material.  I wouldn't let the unusual backlash in the gaming media curb your enthusiasm. 

Don't buy the hate. There's a pretty big hate storm swirling and I don't understand why. People that are playing it say it looks amazing and anyone critiquing the story is an idiot because we've basically received the tutorial missions to play during the trial.

Every single tweet by @masseffect right now on Twitter is bombarded with the same people calling them sexist for no Sara Ryder trailer, money hungry just because its EA or making a terrible looking game because the frostbite engine is still new. 

The game looks amazing. It's going to be a long one. Think Witcher 3 in space but with Mass Effect stuff and Bioware writing.  I do have some minor gripes like voice acting for side characters and some of the lighting is weird at times but very minor stuff. The combat is completely revamped which it has been with every new ME game anyway. So that's nothing new. 

Point is, this game looks and plays pretty good so far. If the story can match, this will be GOTY material.  I wouldn't let the unusual backlash in the gaming media curb your enthusiasm. 
What made Mass Effect great was the story. The game had a great story when no other games really did. Now, tons of games have great stories. So, this newest installment just ends up being a solidly mediocre imo.

Oh, and the Mako / Nomad is still pretty dumb. Driving around in a lot of empty space isn't terribly compelling gameplay. For those who played Dragon Age Inquisition, think an empty Hinterlands.

What made Mass Effect great was the story. The game had a great story when no other games really did. Now, tons of games have great stories. So, this newest installment just ends up being a solidly mediocre imo.

Oh, and the Mako / Nomad is still pretty dumb. Driving around in a lot of empty space isn't terribly compelling gameplay. For those who played Dragon Age Inquisition, think an empty Hinterlands.
Again, think about the opening of Mass Effect 1 without knowing the rest of it. If that game were released in today's internet age as a AAA game, it never would have gotten a sequel. People would have lambasted it for lazy writing in the first 2 hours of the game and uninteresting characters. 

Relax. 

Again, think about the opening of Mass Effect 1 without knowing the rest of it. If that game were released in today's internet age as a AAA game, it never would have gotten a sequel. People would have lambasted it for lazy writing in the first 2 hours of the game and uninteresting characters. 

Relax. 
You don't have to defend the game. Many folks are going to really like it, I am sure.

But, I think it seems rather uninspired so far and I won't be buying it anytime soon. It is as simple as that.

:shrug:

p.s. I haven't read a single review but I can almost guarantee some of the things I am saying are repeated (and the meh transcends the 10 hour gameplay demo).

You don't have to defend the game. Many folks are going to really like it, I am sure.

But, I think it seems rather uninspired so far and I won't be buying it anytime soon. It is as simple as that.

p.s. I haven't read a single review but I can almost guarantee some of the things I am saying are repeated (and the meh transcends the 10 hour gameplay demo).
It seems to me that Mass Effect is getting attacked because of ME3, EA and Bioware.

A game like Horizon comes out and it's praised because there was no preconceived expectations or previous hatred towards the developer yet we knew nothing about that game before release storywise.  

Let's let the game happen. The people will decide.

It seems to me that Mass Effect is getting attacked because of ME3, EA and Bioware.

A game like Horizon comes out and it's praised because there was no preconceived expectations or previous hatred towards the developer yet we knew nothing about that game before release storywise.  

Let's let the game happen. The people will decide.
I have no idea what this means or how it applies to my "meh" conclusion on this game so far.

As an aside, I haven't played 65 hours like this guy has, but some of what he says really showed up in the first 10 hours:

In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly. Its worlds and combat shine, but its writing and missions falter--and the relative strength of the former is not enough to compensate for the inescapable weakness of the latter. As a Mass Effect game, Andromeda falls well short of the nuanced politics, morality, and storytelling of its predecessors. For me, the series has always been about compelling characters and harrowing choices, so to find such weak writing here is bitterly disappointing. Yet even after 65 hours, I still plan on completing a few more quests. The game can't escape its shortcomings, but patient explorers can still find a few stars shining in the darkness.

meh

I heard on one of the Giant Bomb podcasts that the story starts very slowly but picks up later in the game. They were questioning EA's strategy of trying to get buzz by letting everyone play the mediocre part for a week before release. I disagree that a lot of games these days have great stories, so if the plot comes together here that will make it worth playing. That doesn't address other reported issues with character animations, etc. - I'm hoping some of that gets patched. 

Isn't ME your favorite series of all time, though?   I'm glad you enjoy it, but I don't see why reviewers who gave all of the originals 9+ grades would suddenly go low here out of spite or some other reason. 

A 5/10 from a review site is the same as getting your name right on the SAT.  A 6/10 from gamespot means there are some significant issues  

I heard on one of the Giant Bomb podcasts that the story starts very slowly but picks up later in the game. They were questioning EA's strategy of trying to get buzz by letting everyone play the mediocre part for a week before release. I disagree that a lot of games these days have great stories, so if the plot comes together here that will make it worth playing. That doesn't address other reported issues with character animations, etc. - I'm hoping some of that gets patched. 
yep, it backfired (with respect to me at least). I am almost certain I would have bought it tomorrow, but for the preview.

Relax. 
I'm confused, you don't think Me1 was released in the internet age?

I enjoyed the first 3 (especially #2).  

That enjoyment was almost wholly due to the characters though, so I'm not sure a new crew excites me too much. 

I like Gamespot in general, but watching that eight-minute review, I'm not seeing (or hearing him describe) a "6". Looks a bit better than that - maybe not GOTY material, but that's a pretty low score. Maybe it's my age and remembering DOS-based games, but I'm more apt to forgive a little pop-in, minor tech glitches in big games, a little cheesy dialog, etc. Those seemed to be the biggest complaints.

RPG? Choice in where I go / how I tackle it? Fun combat? A few NPC companions? Decent enough story as to why I'm doing what I'm doing? A little "ooh, shiny" grind for better weapons/powers? I'm in.   

Last edited by a moderator:
...I don't see why reviewers who gave all of the originals 9+ grades would suddenly go low here out of spite or some other reason. 
It's not spite, it's expectations.

With time comes nostalgia which creates a false notion that something was, perhaps, better than it truly was and anything that follows will necessarily, and unfairly, be compared to the perception of the past rather than the reality.  We see this in entertainment all the time.

It's not spite, it's expectations.

With time comes nostalgia which creates a false notion that something was, perhaps, better than it truly was and anything that follows will necessarily, and unfairly, be compared to the perception of the past rather than the reality.  We see this in entertainment all the time.
They didn't change their reviews of the first ones, though. They reviewed the first in 2007, the second when it came out, etc...

at the time of release, they were highly reviewed games. 

They didn't change their reviews of the first ones, though. They reviewed the first in 2007, the second when it came out, etc...

None of what I write below is to suggest that Andromeda is every bit as good as any of it's predecessors, it could be a dog #### taco for all I know, but I am not at all surprised that the reviews are overly critical, because it is simply not being judged in a vacuum (unlike Horizon), it is being judged against something that has become iconic and truly beloved in the gaming world.

ME was 2007, ME2 2010 and ME3 2012.  That's three games in five years. A five year gap between ME3 and Andromeda (10 years since ME1) is an eternity nowadays.  The expectations have changed, even ME3 experienced some of that backlash.  If Andromeda was released in 2014/2015 I think it would be better received simply due to proximity.

Like I said, it happens all the time in entertainment.

We all know that Return of the Jedi was hokey as hell (Ewoks were every bit as horrible as Jar-Jar, worse IMO) but it is still revered because it was part of the original.  Everything that has followed has simply failed to live up to false expectations.

New Ghostbusters? DOA (for the stupidest reason possible). Hell, people went ape#### when GI Joe was made into a movie, and GI Joe was one of the worst cartoons E-V-E-R, as if somehow Hollywood was raping our childhood. But nostalgia turned GI Joe into something sacred to some people, some very, very odd people.

There is also the problem of competition, there is a lot more content in the RPG space than there was in 2007 and that also can have a negative impact. Look at James Bond; back in the 60s he was incredibly new and original but in 2017 there are a bunch of James Bonds out there (Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer, John Wick etc) which makes it that much harder for Bond to stand out as original and unique.  

Critics favor originality (quality originality of course) but how can Andromeda be original when the fans want more Mass Effect? That necessarily makes Andromeda less unique and original.

Guess I'm just saying that I don't really care about reviews.

I think the clean break in setting and character make this one more apt to be seen as a completely different entity.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 didn't give us anything less than ME1 did, and expanded upon it. Just on that alone, it's tough to dip lower than the score you gave the first.

Also, 2 and 3 had mind-numbing resource stuff, etc as well, but it wasn't as panned as this one seems to be for the same reasons. And the dialog in the original games was pretty hokey too. But it's panned now.

I dunno - watch that 8 minute video at gamespot - does it look like a "6" game? Or is he even describing one?  I don't think he is. In a world where 5/10 and lower = flat out bad game, a 6 is still pretty mediocre. I'll know for sure when I start playing tomorrow, but I doubt this game is mediocre. It may not be great, but it's likely it'll be "good".  

We all know that Return of the Jedi was hokey as hell (Ewoks were every bit as horrible as Jar-Jar, worse IMO) but it is still revered because it was part of the original.  Everything that has followed has simply failed to live up to false expectations.
heh, this is a great point. I said that over and over to friends - "how can you hate Jar Jar yet be ok with Ewoks defeating the empire with rocks and sticks?"

heh, this is a great point. I said that over and over to friends - "how can you hate Jar Jar yet be ok with Ewoks defeating the empire with rocks and sticks?"
this is a constant battle in the Star Wars threads with the people praising Jedi and ripping on the prequels.

Although while completely agreeing with Chaka on this specific point, I do have to say I disagree a bit with him on the movies released since the original 3.  

I think of the 5 movies released since the original trilogy, both fans and critics have, over all, highly enjoyed 3 of them (Revenge, Rogue and TFA).  I won't get into the "failed to meet expectations" aspect because I find that very subjective to the individual and very hard to define.

I realize this is not a Star Wars thread so I will end my thoughts here :)

About an hour into Ryse Sone of Rome and I really like it so far. It is visually striking, the combat is interesting and tries to force one out of strict button mashing hack'n'slash (though I think you can get by with that too) and the story is fun even if it is not so original yet.

Is the Bioshock collection worth ~40 bucks for someone who's never played them before?
My personal opinion is no.  

The first game is outstanding, but it's old and has been darn near free on the previous generation for a quite a while now.  The second game is okay, but really just more of the same with a far less interesting story.  The third game is trash IMO, but I know other people disagree with that assessment.  

Just my .02.

The first game is outstanding, but it's old and has been darn near free on the previous generation for a quite a while now.  The second game is okay, but really just more of the same with a far less interesting story.  The third game is trash IMO, but I know other people disagree with that assessment.  

Just my .02.
Agree. 

Wait/find a way to get the first one/all of those for $20. 

Just my .02.
Agree. 

Wait/find a way to get the first one/all of those for $20.
Thanks! It was cheaper around Christmas, I think 30? but I missed it.

I really hate the Xbox One. Got a good deal at Christmas even though we love our PS4 so I grabbed it. Nothing but problems every time we turn it on.

Account passwords don't work and have to be reset, the network is down very time we try to play the one game we have downloaded, the wireless controller never works right and blows through batteries the menu system sucks the interface is ridiculous and the connection of everything to Windows is cumbersome.

Really not one nice thing to say about this system. The 360 was awesome. This is a piece of junk and I'm pretty much assured of never buying an xbox product again.

Vent over. Tired of seeing my son frustrated because he can never play his game.

I really hate the Xbox One. Got a good deal at Christmas even though we love our PS4 so I grabbed it. Nothing but problems every time we turn it on.

Account passwords don't work and have to be reset, the network is down very time we try to play the one game we have downloaded, the wireless controller never works right and blows through batteries the menu system sucks the interface is ridiculous and the connection of everything to Windows is cumbersome.

Really not one nice thing to say about this system. The 360 was awesome. This is a piece of junk and I'm pretty much assured of never buying an xbox product again.

Vent over. Tired of seeing my son frustrated because he can never play his game.
I've had mine for 18 months and I've never had any of those issues...

What is your home's internet situation?  If that's not it, maybe you got a dud?  Was it a refurb or anything?

Home network is Verizon high,speed give us all,your money. Never had a problem with a huge amount if devices. Bought the system brand new with bundle so not refurbished. 

It's probably just the fact,that we use the PS4 so much that,we haven't gotten used to the xbox. But the ps4 was just easy. They don't compare.

Like I said more vent than anything

Home network is Verizon high,speed give us all,your money. Never had a problem with a huge amount if devices. Bought the system brand new with bundle so not refurbished. 

It's probably just the fact,that we use the PS4 so much that,we haven't gotten used to the xbox. But the ps4 was just easy. They don't compare.

What's funny is I've heard the exact opposite. Regardless, sucks you're having this type of experience.

Xbox live sales for this week includes  Mordheim: City of the Dammed for $16. 

And the Divinity for $15 

I couldn't be more excited for Mordheim.  I already bought it and downloaded it so I can play when I get off work today. 

Is the divinity  any good?

i'm driving and using voice to text so excuse the awful posting

Last edited by a moderator:
 Xbox live sales for this week includes  Mordheim: City of the Dammed for $16. 

And the Divinity for $15 

I couldn't be more excited for Mordheim.  I already bought it and downloaded it so I can play when I get off work today. 

Is the divinity  any good?

i'm driving and using voice to text so excuse the awful posting
If you like the turn based style D&D RPG, it's great.  Maybe the best since Baldur's Gate (and probably better now that I've read the last page of nostalgia bias).

I detest my PS4 for one reason. The network is absolute garbage. Takes absolutely forever to DL anything. My xbone, while it has a horrible UI has zero issues with its Network. 

I detest my PS4 for one reason. The network is absolute garbage. Takes absolutely forever to DL anything. My xbone, while it has a horrible UI has zero issues with its Network. 
Change your DNS.  Your Internet provider is sending all PS traffic to a dedicated server for your ISP that may be overwhelmed.  Change your DNS in the PS4 and it will be faster because then it will go directly to PS servers.  I use the google DNS, but any public one will work.

Here's a link with details...  Linkage

Change your DNS.  Your Internet provider is sending all PS traffic to a dedicated server for your ISP that may be overwhelmed.  Change your DNS in the PS4 and it will be faster because then it will go directly to PS servers.  I use the google DNS, but any public one will work.

Here's a link with details...  Linkage
I tried this before and didn't notice any change but that was about a year ago. I will try it again and see if it helps. Thanks  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread