Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

1 hour ago, Weebs210 said:

Serious question for the single player game guys, why don't you challenge yourselfs by playing competitive multiplayer games?

I find most of the online community to be toxic in nature.  It ruins the gaming experience for me.

Personally, unless you are beating single player games like Dark Souls with no deaths, I don't quite understand the comment about single player games being not challenging.

• Like 1
  • Replies 31.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlaX

• Insein

• STEADYMOBBIN 22

• NewlyRetired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you bought and flipped 2 xboxes at exorbitant prices, and now you’re complaining about the secondary market for PS5s?

The Saga of Tornado Man (continued):  Episode 2: The Butcher and Leap Tornado Man is growing into his role as a leader.  This is most readily seen by his consistent use of the phrases, "This way.

And this is the mentality that keeps me from playing MP most of the time.

Fair enough. I guess I always leaned towards PvP games because I'm very impatient and always skip the story scenes in single player games lol. I also enjoy the strategy aspect as well when playing vs others.

Edited by Weebs210
21 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Fair enough. I guess I always leaned towards PvP games because I'm very impatient and always skip the story scenes in single player games lol. I also enjoy the strategy aspect as well when playing vs others.

Some of it is the demographics of this board which have aged for the most part. There used to be some epic threads chronicling FBG leagues for the early Modern Warfare's, Battlefields, Gears of War, Halo's, etc. As you get older, priorities and time commitments change, not to mention declining motor skills and hand eye coordination.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

Serious question for the single player game guys, why don't you challenge yourselfs by playing competitive multiplayer games?

Most competitive Multiplayer games are not the challenge you think they are. They're full of 15 yo kids who play the game 6-10 hrs a day and know all the exploits. On top of that, they aren't exactly the most pleasant individuals to converse with either. 

Friday the 13th and Gears 4 have been the only Multiplayer games I've played in the last 5-6 years. F13 I can mostly do private matches with friends and gears 4 is all South America on American servers since they get a lag advantage. 

Most online game play is the worst humanity has to offer.

Edited by Insein
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

I find most of the online community to be toxic in nature.  It ruins the gaming experience for me.

Personally, unless you are beating single player games like Dark Souls with no deaths, I don't quite understand the comment about single player games being not challenging.

This. Toxic is a very appropriate word. As for challenge, life is full of very large, and real, challenges. I play games for fun.

3 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Dark Souls 3 is amazing, but very difficult... especially so if you've never played a Dark Souls game. 

I've played all that were released for the PS3. So I am fairly familiar with the series. This was pretty much going to be number one on the list going in.

4 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I've played all that were released for the PS3. So I am fairly familiar with the series. This was pretty much going to be number one on the list going in.

did you play Bloodborne too?  If not that is a must buy if you like the genre.

That view is a big difference from your original post which seemed to indicate you found solo games too easy.

I am pretty sure there are a ton of solo games that would humble you quite quickly if you did think that :)

1 hour ago, Buckna said:

Some of it is the demographics of this board which have aged for the most part. There used to be some epic threads chronicling FBG leagues for the early Modern Warfare's, Battlefields, Gears of War, Halo's, etc. As you get older, priorities and time commitments change, not to mention declining motor skills and hand eye coordination.

I'm still doing the GoW/Halo games almost daily.  CoD fell out of favor with me a while back though, just not good gameplay IMO. Too easy to camp, I like to roam around.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not judging your tastes at all because these modes are crazy popular, but this and MUT being hits are the reason they are able to give a slight UI upgrade and a middle finger to Franchise mode year after year and get away with it. Such bull####. 

It is amazing how much worse Franchise mode is from even 15 years ago.  Bought Madden 16 and it is just unplayable. NFL games died when EA got a monopoly on them over the superior NFL2k series.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

It is amazing how much worse Franchise mode is from even 15 years ago.  Bought Madden 16 and it is just unplayable. NFL games died when EA got a monopoly on them over the superior NFL2k series.

I remember playing franchise and dynasty modes for 6-8 hour sittings going through dozens of seasons back in early 2000's. I can't bring myself to finish one now even in the Show that people rave about.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Insein said:

I remember playing franchise and dynasty modes for 6-8 hour sittings going through dozens of seasons back in early 2000's. I can't bring myself to finish one now even in the Show that people rave about.

I still do a decent amount of FIFA Career myself.  It is repetitive for sure, but I think they have been improving gameplay.  The huge pool of players and leagues you can play it make it a bit fresher too.  With that said, I'm skipping doing any on 17 due to the bad changes they have made.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Nope. But I don't think I necessarily want to make two of my three purchases in such a similar genre. With Bloodborne and DS3, I'd say one or the other.

• Like 1
On 6/26/2017 at 3:46 PM, Nick Vermeil said:

We gotta get the FBG group back together!

I haven't even seen you on Steam in....  forever.  

We need more FBGs to get in on Rocket League.  Trust me, it's awesome.

On 6/26/2017 at 3:47 PM, Nick Vermeil said:

I have to get in on this.  Is there a way to join rooms with fellow FBG's?  Are you using in game chat or the FBG channel?  I've been out of PC gaming way too long.  I need to update Steam and see what everyone is doing.   

Most people use Discord for voice chat now.  It's low latency.  You can even run it through your browser.  Supports any game.  Has a lot of features.

On 6/26/2017 at 5:08 PM, Weebs210 said:

I haven't played with any FBGs but I'm always down to play. You can add people to friends through steam and than it is easy to group in game. My friends and I use discord as well as in game voice if we fill a missing spot with a random.

We have a Footballguys Steam group.  What's your Steam ID and I'll invite you.

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Wife is getting me a PS4 (why I was asking about slim vs pro the other day). Bloodborne is priority 1, then either Nioh or Horizon Zero Dawn. 

Edited by bigmarc27
  • Like 1

I definitely find that online multiplayer pvp games are losing their appeal to me. Combination of decline in skills, annoying community, and just not having the time to put in to keep up with all the kids playing 4-10 hours a day.

But I still love gaming with my childhood friends that are spread around the country. I wish that there were more good multiplayer online co-op games. Borderlands 2 was great with some nice variety, hilarious dialogue and decent story. The Division was ok, but got pretty repetitive. Dying Light was an interesting idea, but got repetitive really quickly. Same with Dead Island.

Hard to find good co-op games with a good story, variety in gameplay, and good puzzles that require cooperation, etc.

I really did enjoy Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris. Decent story and lots of fun puzzles that forced you to utilize the different character skills cooperatively to solve.

4 hours ago, Insein said:

Most online game play is the worst humanity has to offer.

It's sad, and frightening.  I think it's because decent people typically keep their mics off so it's just the toxic ones spreading their toxicity to the next gen of younger players.  

Steam Support is pretty good. I ended up requesting a refund for Elite: Dangerous because that level of detail in the flying sim just isn't my thing.  They initially denied my request with a canned response because my account had said I had played it for 16 hours and their max playtime for refunds is two hours.  I realized that while I had only played for about an hour, I left the launcher open overnight and for some stupid reason, they count having the launcher open towards play time.  

Anyway I opened another ticket, explained the situation and got the refund after talking to a human being.  Not bad.  

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I definitely find that online multiplayer pvp games are losing their appeal to me. Combination of decline in skills, annoying community, and just not having the time to put in to keep up with all the kids playing 4-10 hours a day.

But I still love gaming with my childhood friends that are spread around the country. I wish that there were more good multiplayer online co-op games. Borderlands 2 was great with some nice variety, hilarious dialogue and decent story. The Division was ok, but got pretty repetitive. Dying Light was an interesting idea, but got repetitive really quickly. Same with Dead Island.

Hard to find good co-op games with a good story, variety in gameplay, and good puzzles that require cooperation, etc.

I really did enjoy Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris. Decent story and lots of fun puzzles that forced you to utilize the different character skills cooperatively to solve.

Portal 2?

Just now, Weebs210 said:

Do you guys play pubg or what games does the group play?

We play a variety of games.  But it's simply a group of guys from here who play on Steam.  

1 hour ago, SlaX said:

I haven't even seen you on Steam in....  forever.  

We need more FBGs to get in on Rocket League.  Trust me, it's awesome.

New house and baby over the past two-three years!  It's sucked up a lot of time. I actually finally set up the basement office today! It'll take a few more days to make it operational but I'm going to do my best to get back in by the weekend.  I've continued to build pcs so I'm only about a year behind spec on that front.  My mechanics though... have probably suffered.  

2 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

New house and baby over the past two-three years!  It's sucked up a lot of time. I actually finally set up the basement office today! It'll take a few more days to make it operational but I'm going to do my best to get back in by the weekend.  I've continued to build pcs so I'm only about a year behind spec on that front.  My mechanics though... have probably suffered.  

I'll be moving my son into my office sometime this month.  He's been sharing the bedroom with my daughter.  Now that she's 10 and he's 5, it's time for them to be separated.  Unfortunately, that means that my computer will be moved to the living room area and all of my other junk gets put into storage.  But that's how it goes with kids.

2 hours ago, Scoresman said:

Steam Support is pretty good. I ended up requesting a refund for Elite: Dangerous because that level of detail in the flying sim just isn't my thing.  They initially denied my request with a canned response because my account had said I had played it for 16 hours and their max playtime for refunds is two hours.  I realized that while I had only played for about an hour, I left the launcher open overnight and for some stupid reason, they count having the launcher open towards play time.  

Anyway I opened another ticket, explained the situation and got the refund after talking to a human being.  Not bad.  

Steam has always been top notch for customer service 

Just now, Insein said:

Steam has always been top notch for customer service 

I have never been denied a refund and I know a couple of times they could have decided it based on time played, etc.  They are awesome

1 hour ago, SlaX said:

I'll be moving my son into my office sometime this month.  He's been sharing the bedroom with my daughter.  Now that she's 10 and he's 5, it's time for them to be separated.  Unfortunately, that means that my computer will be moved to the living room area and all of my other junk gets put into storage.  But that's how it goes with kids.

Yea I lost my office this year for baby 3 on the way. Thankfully I got the basement finished last year. It's been great. I have the baby monitor on (to hear wife or kids) and no one can hear me upstairs when I game. 

On 7/3/2017 at 6:41 AM, DallasDMac said:

I chose Dark Souls III, Dishonered 2 and Valkyria Chronicles - Remastered. Good choices? The fact they are all priced exactly the same played in it some. Wanted to make sure I got full value out of the free one. I haven't hit BUY yet, so still time to back out.

Started Valkyria Chronicles for the first time a few weeks ago, I think I'm on the second to last mission. It took a little effort to embrace the way the story is delivered but, ultimately I think this game is awesome on so many levels. It's kind of like X-Com meets Studio Ghibli and it works.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of those games that is extremely well-rated and gets great word of mouth, but it did not click with me at all.  I ended up quitting after four or five missions.  Weird, because I like X-Com, but VC didn't work for me.  

6 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Valkyria Chronicles is one of those games that is extremely well-rated and gets great word of mouth, but it did not click with me at all.  I ended up quitting after four or five missions.  Weird, because I like X-Com, but VC didn't work for me.  

I definitely get that, not sure if you are a Hayao Miyazaki fan but I think that because I am a big fan of his work I was able to push through some of the elements of the story telling that I imagine others would have difficulty with. I would be surprised if people didn't like it due to issues with gameplay or strategy.  There is so much flexibility with how you can approach any given mission that it really has great replay value too.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:44 AM, Weebs210 said:

Why?

29 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Great response. 

Thanks. I think most every response to your post covered the details as to why not so I was curious as to why you would want to play in a repetitive environment filled with a vulgar group of people (they may be a minority but vocally they are the majority) that requires unreasonable time investments to become truly skilled enough to excel at in something that, ultimately, offers no tangible ROI.

So, yes, why?

• Like 4

So I spent the majority of my free time yesterday playing COD MW III, double weapon XP, double XP, double tokens.  I figured my time on this game was nearing the end so I was going to make a push for Master Prestige, something I've never done previously on these games.  It became a slog and a grind, but I was determined to make it.  I get to 55, go into prestige mode, only to find out I was only Prestige 9, and not 10, so I have a whole additional prestige to grind through. :kicksrock: 

14 hours ago, Chaka said:

Thanks. I think most every response to your post covered the details as to why not so I was curious as to why you would want to play in a repetitive environment filled with a vulgar group of people (they may be a minority but vocally they are the majority) that requires unreasonable time investments to become truly skilled enough to excel at in something that, ultimately, offers no tangible ROI.

So, yes, why?

Sounds like someone gets Internet bullied, sorry about that friend.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:37 PM, Nick Vermeil said:

It's been a couple years for me.  Had computer issues, and the fiance and kids moved in.  I just set the computer back up yesterday in fact, and played a few games.  Seems ok.  It might very well stb again, but I played a couple rounds of L4D2.  Love that game.  

Been playing the PS4 more than anything, but I always miss the computer.  Glad it worked, and hope it keeps up.  If it does, I will be on much more.

• Like 12
32 minutes ago, Insein said:

You know most mp games have a mute chat and a hide text button right?

Edited by Weebs210
2 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

No reason to muck up this thread with this crap, folks have answered your question but you refuse to accept their answers so go troll elsewhere.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

dude, can't you do this in the political threads?  This thread is one of the few safe zones where people actually act human for the most part.

• Like 2

I am absolutely loving Elite Dangerous. Grouping up with other friends and playing together has us all having a blast.

I am really focused on saving up for a Diamondback Scout ship. I am leaning towards the smuggler/exploration/mining side of things and some Space Uber services as well to earn a good living in the galaxy. This ship is highly versatile. Also did some bounty hunting over the weekend in the community event in the system of Ripikla (sp?) to earn some serious credits.

This game does have a steep learning curve (as I mentioned) but once it clicks.....seriously this is a game I will get lost in for a long long time. It is World Of Warcraft but in space and you are a space pilot. 

Flying is a blast now that I have a full grasp of my ship, it's functions, transferring power, super-cruise speed and exiting that properly, reading the galaxy and system maps, and just figuring out stuff.

There is no hand holding in this game. Plenty of great videos on Youtube to assist though. The game is well worth the investment of time to get better at flying and understanding the economy, politics and social classes throughout the entire galaxy. It is a living and breathing type of game and a real time news station you can read in the Starport Services section when you dock in a space port or on a planet based space port.

Just awesome stuff. I am really having fun here.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Jeez I asked a question that seems to have hit a nerve. I'll see myself out.

I mean you basically imitated exactly what everyone is talking about...  I got enough going on, as I'm sure most here do, where I don't need the headache. 

Id rather just play instead of hearing "get gud f@ggot!!" when I do poorly or "hey you a try hard f@ggot!" If I'm doing well. I occasionally play with friends, but my play is sporadic at best so it's not like it happens daily or even weekly. 

Nobody is getting their feelings hurt, it's just obnoxious.

Edited by bigmarc27
  • Like 3