Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlaX

• Insein

• STEADYMOBBIN 22

• NewlyRetired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Saga of Tornado Man (continued):  Episode 2: The Butcher and Leap Tornado Man is growing into his role as a leader.  This is most readily seen by his consistent use of the phrases, "This way.

So you bought and flipped 2 xboxes at exorbitant prices, and now you’re complaining about the secondary market for PS5s?

And this is the mentality that keeps me from playing MP most of the time.

PSP2 Announced.

3g and WIFI

Front and rear touchpads

motion sensing

front, rear camera + mic

HD resolution

PS3 level graphics

Trophy Support

Possible PS3 PSP2 game sharing

pic

link

the thing that killed the psp was lack of unique franchises... Hope it changes for this

PSP2 Announced.

3g and WIFI

Front and rear touchpads

motion sensing

front, rear camera + mic

HD resolution

PS3 level graphics

Trophy Support

pic

link

What's funny is Sony is waving this around saying "Look at what we're going to launch" while everyone else is going "yeah, yeah. leave us alone. We're amazed with this 3DS that Nintendo has." I believe they've already written off the PSP2. The iPhone is #2 in mobile gaming right now. Edited by SlaX

There are so many "old" games I need to get.Bioshock 2ME2Dead Spaceetc.Except that I need to finish the plethora of even older games that I have first. :bag:

I'm in the same boat, just getting a 360 about a year ago, there's a lot of games I missed that I want to play. I love picking up games for $10 that are awesome games to play.The only bummer that I miss out on the stuff like the Black Ops tourney going on now (anyone for a COD4 tourney?). :bag:

There are so many "old" games I need to get.Bioshock 2ME2Dead Spaceetc.Except that I need to finish the plethora of even older games that I have first. :D

I'm in the same boat, just getting a 360 about a year ago, there's a lot of games I missed that I want to play. I love picking up games for $10 that are awesome games to play.The only bummer that I miss out on the stuff like the Black Ops tourney going on now (anyone for a COD4 tourney?). :X
You're not missing much.And the COD4 tourney from 3 years ago is probably still unfinished.

Any of the PS3 guys have any comments on the new SOCOM Navy Seals? I hear it's suppose to come out in Feb. Haven't seen a lot about it though.

The difference is this: Socom 2 was like a classic muscle car, lets say a 69' Camaro. Classic lines, a V8 engine, etc..Not a lot in the way of options and such, just a nice ride with a lot power where it counts and a timeless beauty.Since then, SOCOM 3, CA and Confrontation have turned the series into one I don't even care about anymore. It's really sad to see something you love so much end up being as crappy as it can be, but Zipper did it.Now Socom 4 comes along is like a ridiculous pimp my ride style car that has a bunch of bells and whistles and a stupid silly graphic paint job to over compensate for the fact that underneath it's still just some pos that no one will care about within a couple of years. Edited by wazoo11

Any of the PS3 guys have any comments on the new SOCOM Navy Seals? I hear it's suppose to come out in Feb. Haven't seen a lot about it though.

The difference is this: Socom 2 was like a classic muscle car, lets say a 69' Camaro. Classic lines, a V8 engine, etc..Not a lot in the way of options and such, just a nice ride with a lot power where it counts and a timeless beauty.Since then, SOCOM 3, CA and Confrontation have turned the series into one I don't even care about anymore. It's really sad to see something you love so much end up being as crappy as it can be, but Zipper did it.Now Socom 4 comes along is like a ridiculous pimp my ride style car that has a bunch of bells and whistles and a stupid silly graphic paint job to over compensate for the fact that underneath it's still just some pos that no one will care about within a couple of years.
Unfortunately, :goodposting:.

The difference is this: Socom 2 was like a classic muscle car, lets say a 69' Camaro. Classic lines, a V8 engine, etc..Not a lot in the way of options and such, just a nice ride with a lot power where it counts and a timeless beauty.Since then, SOCOM 3, CA and Confrontation have turned the series into one I don't even care about anymore. It's really sad to see something you love so much end up being as crappy as it can be, but Zipper did it.Now Socom 4 comes along is like a ridiculous pimp my ride style car that has a bunch of bells and whistles and a stupid silly graphic paint job to over compensate for the fact that underneath it's still just some pos that no one will care about within a couple of years.
I know nothing about the new one, that's why I was asking. I played 2 and LOVED it...played it more than I play COD, then three came along with the tanks, cars, HUGE maps etc and I lost interest. I spent more time running to the action than anything else. I was hoping that #4 would take things back to the way #2 was. I know they are adding the move technology to the game, but that's all I know about 4.ETA: I never played CA or Confrontation, but it's my understanding that those were developed by Sony and not the SOCOM folks. Is that correct? Edited by The Commish

I know nothing about the new one, that's why I was asking. I played 2 and LOVED it...played it more than I play COD, then three came along with the tanks, cars, HUGE maps etc and I lost interest. I spent more time running to the action than anything else. I was hoping that #4 would take things back to the way #2 was. I know they are adding the move technology to the game, but that's all I know about 4.ETA: I never played CA or Confrontation, but it's my understanding that those were developed by Sony and not the SOCOM folks. Is that correct?
Slant Six developed Confrontation while Zipper Moved onto create MAG.

SOCOM releases in April. Killzone 3 launches Feb 22nd.KZ3 is the one I'm most looking forward to...even with the future weapons. It's going to be our version of Halo (or as close as we can get)... and it can be played in 3D which I've done and which is pretty cool.

PSP2 Announced.

3g and WIFI

Front and rear touchpads

motion sensing

front, rear camera + mic

HD resolution

PS3 level graphics

Trophy Support

pic

link

What's funny is Sony is waving this around saying "Look at what we're going to launch" while everyone else is going "yeah, yeah. leave us alone. We're amazed with this 3DS that Nintendo has." I believe they've already written off the PSP2. The iPhone is #2 in mobile gaming right now.
What's odd to me is that everyone is going gaga for the 3DS yet no one seems to care that the PS3 can bring 3D games right into your living room, on your new (overpriced) 3D TV. These games have a ton more content, features and scope than anything you'll ever sniff on the 3DS. 3DS just has a smaller screen that's 3D capable. Something that TV's will have in a year. Oh... and for only $50 more than a 3DS.

PSP2 Announced.

3g and WIFI

Front and rear touchpads

motion sensing

front, rear camera + mic

HD resolution

PS3 level graphics

Trophy Support

pic

link

What's funny is Sony is waving this around saying "Look at what we're going to launch" while everyone else is going "yeah, yeah. leave us alone. We're amazed with this 3DS that Nintendo has." I believe they've already written off the PSP2. The iPhone is #2 in mobile gaming right now.
What's odd to me is that everyone is going gaga for the 3DS yet no one seems to care that the PS3 can bring 3D games right into your living room, on your new (overpriced) 3D TV. These games have a ton more content, features and scope than anything you'll ever sniff on the 3DS. 3DS just has a smaller screen that's 3D capable. Something that TV's will have in a year. Oh... and for only $50 more than a 3DS.

$50 plus 2k for the tv. Nintendo loves this kind of comment. You are comparing the Ps3 to the handheld 3ds. I can't think of a more ringing endorsement for the 3ds.

PSP2 Announced.

3g and WIFI

Front and rear touchpads

motion sensing

front, rear camera + mic

HD resolution

PS3 level graphics

Trophy Support

pic

link

My thoughts on 3d games and tvs is that they hit the market too soon. They are up against two problems. First the economy, everyone is broke. Second, everyone who is a technofile or video game geek most likely spent their wad on the last gen of flat screens, HD, 1080p blu ray etc in concert with the latest gen of gaming system. I just don't see many people taking a working flatscreen off their wall to replace it with a expensive 3d tv in this economy.

SOCOM releases in April. Killzone 3 launches Feb 22nd.KZ3 is the one I'm most looking forward to...even with the future weapons. It's going to be our version of Halo (or as close as we can get)... and it can be played in 3D which I've done and which is pretty cool.
How were killzone 1 and 2

PSP2 Announced.

3g and WIFI

Front and rear touchpads

motion sensing

front, rear camera + mic

HD resolution

PS3 level graphics

Trophy Support

pic

link

I didn't realize the Sony Glasses-Free 3D TVs were only $300. I think I'll run right out and get one.

Right now I'm playing Two Worlds II on the 360.

It's actually really good (waaaay better than the first one). If anyone has been looking for an open world RPG, check this one out. It's somewhat like Oblivion - maybe a little rougher around the edges, but quite a bit deeper in terms of loot / weapons / crafting / etc. Combat is fun (kind of like in between Oblivion, which was meh, and Demon's Souls, which was awesome.) And you level / assign skills the "normal" way.

<--- RPG nut.

How many hours is the main ME1 campaign going to take me?

Main campaign for the first time is 10-25 hours. If you know what your doing its 4-7 hours just for the main story events. It all depends on how many side quests you do and if you know what locations provide story progression. Some locations are big and can be confusing but once your get a sense of the area, they can go much quicker. Its sort of like playing a shooter online and knowing the maps compared to being a new clueless guy. Edited by madshot31

DPR, have they tightened up the aiming at all from KZ2? I hated that little wobble/delay thing that it did.

I never played Killzone 1, but I loved Killzone 2. The online play is heavily team- and class-based. You can just run around randomly shooting people if you want, but you're really missing out if you don't stick with your squad and work toward the objectives (which change on the fly over the course of a match). From reading previews, my understanding is that the controls for KZ3 are going to be lighter and more responsive than they were in KZ2. I have mixed feelings about this because I really liked the KZ2 controls, but I was in the minority on that one so I'm not surprised that they're going this route. Regardless, KZ3 is the game I'm most looking forward to this year. I could seriously see myself playing this regularly from 2/22 all the way through early November, when Skyrim and Uncharted 3 come out.

I never played Killzone 1, but I loved Killzone 2. The online play is heavily team- and class-based. You can just run around randomly shooting people if you want, but you're really missing out if you don't stick with your squad and work toward the objectives (which change on the fly over the course of a match). From reading previews, my understanding is that the controls for KZ3 are going to be lighter and more responsive than they were in KZ2. I have mixed feelings about this because I really liked the KZ2 controls, but I was in the minority on that one so I'm not surprised that they're going this route. Regardless, KZ3 is the game I'm most looking forward to this year. I could seriously see myself playing this regularly from 2/22 all the way through early November, when Skyrim and Uncharted 3 come out.
I haven't played KZ1 or 2, but I will be getting KZ3 when it comes out. (PS3)

It sounds minor, but my biggest gripe with KZ2 is that you hit the L1 button to look down your sites, but then you have to press it again to go back to hipfire. It seems much more fluid to just hold down L1 to look down your sites, then release it to go back to hipfire. Or it could very well be that I'm just used to the latter setup, but either way, I found that one difference to be a major distraction in this game.

By the way... I'd been looking for a shooter game to use with the Move (this has been the main reason I've been looking forward to KZ3). But I played Resident Evil 5 with the Move the other day, and it was AWFUL. I don't know if that's because they rushed out the Gold Edition to be Move compatible or what, but the whole experience has me ready to put Move up on eBay.

Just started ME2, never played the first ME. Chose the Soldier class after a bit of reading online, wanted to be able to use the full range of weapons/ammo and the Adrenaline Rush ability looked cool. Any advice on what skills to level up first?

I can't offer much advice here. I went with Infiltrator because the Soldier class looked kind of generic, but that's just me. I find that I'm not actually sniping anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

Played for about 2 hours last night, so far am feeling just so-so about the game. Maybe I'm not cut out for RPG's; I finished the main story in Fall Out 3 but was underwhelmed with the game. Liking ME2 better than FO3 so far but it's still kinda slow. Hoping the storyline picks up the pace and the characters become more compelling.

I'm about 16 hours in. Like you, I was pretty underwhelmed early on, but it's gotten much better as I've gone along. The characters are a lot more interesting and I like the fact that I can really flesh out my character and my teammates. Having said that, this is a little more of a corridor shooter than I thought it would be, and the missions are starting to get really repetitive (land, talk to a couple of people, kill some enemies, big fight with wave after wave after wave of enemies, boss fight with several waves of enemies, the end).It's still a good game, and it's grown on me the more I've played it, so obviously this is just a snap judgement and subject to revision.
ME2 has definitely grown on me. Now that I've leveled up my abilities and have more squad members to mix and match, I'm getting into the gameplay a lot more. The last several missions I've done have been a lot more varied as well, at least story-wise. It still relies too heavily on "big rooms with boxes to hide behind" and could use some variety on that dimension, but that's a minor gripe and is easy to overlook.

Just started ME2, never played the first ME. Chose the Soldier class after a bit of reading online, wanted to be able to use the full range of weapons/ammo and the Adrenaline Rush ability looked cool. Any advice on what skills to level up first?

I can't offer much advice here. I went with Infiltrator because the Soldier class looked kind of generic, but that's just me. I find that I'm not actually sniping anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

Played for about 2 hours last night, so far am feeling just so-so about the game. Maybe I'm not cut out for RPG's; I finished the main story in Fall Out 3 but was underwhelmed with the game. Liking ME2 better than FO3 so far but it's still kinda slow. Hoping the storyline picks up the pace and the characters become more compelling.

I'm about 16 hours in. Like you, I was pretty underwhelmed early on, but it's gotten much better as I've gone along. The characters are a lot more interesting and I like the fact that I can really flesh out my character and my teammates. Having said that, this is a little more of a corridor shooter than I thought it would be, and the missions are starting to get really repetitive (land, talk to a couple of people, kill some enemies, big fight with wave after wave after wave of enemies, boss fight with several waves of enemies, the end).It's still a good game, and it's grown on me the more I've played it, so obviously this is just a snap judgement and subject to revision.
ME2 has definitely grown on me. Now that I've leveled up my abilities and have more squad members to mix and match, I'm getting into the gameplay a lot more. The last several missions I've done have been a lot more varied as well, at least story-wise. It still relies too heavily on "big rooms with boxes to hide behind" and could use some variety on that dimension, but that's a minor gripe and is easy to overlook.
Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but what difficulty are you playing on? I found both ME1 & ME2 were completely different games when played on the toughest difficulties. I would put it in the same category as how Bioshock transforms into having great gameplay(besides the story, that's always awesome) when you up the difficulty. If the challenge isn't there, the gameplay feels flat because you can just walk through everything while you don't need strategy and don't fear death. Besides that, the gameplay is a secondary concern in both Mass Effect games. They are built for the story, character, and dialog interactions. It seems a lot of people who skipped straight to ME2 are playing it for the gameplay and are missing that perspective and many of the story attachments that playing ME1 brings. This isn't directly at you, its just something I have observed in this thread for a while now.

Game Informer magazine just published a huge preview of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Here are some interesting snippets

* Game is set 200 years after Oblivion

* Brand new game engine. Graphics supposedly look better than Oblivion

* Gone is the near moronic leveling system of Oblivion (thank god)

* Initially there will be 50 levels for each character (roughly doubling the rate of leveling up from Oblivion). After 50 you can still level but that time will take much longer between levels

* 18 skills (no major or minor skills like in Oblivion). Each time you improve a skill you gain experience points. Improving a skill from 30-31 gets more experience points than improving a skill from 12-13. Protection is in place to protect against exploits in leveling

* Each level change will come with the following

a) Increased health

b) choice of further increase to health, or in increase to magika or stamina

c) Choice of one of dozens of perks (similar to Fallout 3). In Oblivion you did not get to choose perks. Developers feel that the choices will allow character building to be much more unique

* There is no limitation on what you hold in which hand, for example

a) Weapon in right shield in left

b) weapon in left, magic in right

c) magic in left and right (including having the same type of magic equipped allowing for a double dose of a spell)

d) weapons in each hand including the same weapon

* Oblivion had six schools of magic. Skyrim chucks the school of Mysticism and moves those spells around to the other schools.

* Interactions with NPC's look and feel is changing. It no longer is a zoomed in version with the person you are talking to. The NPC's will continue to move about when talking to you

* The game is also smart enough to replace NPC's with other characters if needed. For example if you kill a Man in a shop who was suppose to give you a quest, the game is smart enough to have the man's sister take over the shop and be available to give the same quest

* Dragons are a very integral part of the game and story. Each time you kill a dragon you can get the ability of a "Dragon Shout". There are 20 of these abilities in the game. Some examples include being able to slow time down around you, another can do an instant short transport, another can hurl enemies away from you.

* Menus were completely redone with every design thought being "How would Apple have handled this much information"

* The game is ULTRA intelligent. It will learn how you are playing and then present specific quests based on how you are playing. For example, you could enter a town and you may be asked by a women to rescue her daughter in a dungeon. The game will automatically find a dungeon you have never been and one that is appropriate for your level and make the quest start their

* Similar to the note above, Skyrim employs a new approach to story telling called The Radiant Story. Many random acts can occur for example you could be in a town and decide to drop a weapon. One time the weapon may remain in the mud, another time a boy may grab it out of the mud and chase you down and ask if you want it back and a third instance the dropped weapon may cause two other characters to fight over it.

* One big change from Oblivion is that you can no longer run backwards as fast as you can run forward. This will change the look and feel of melee.

* Ranged combat is still with a bow. Bows take longer to draw but are much more powerful allowing for stealth players to snipe and kill bad guys with single shots

* When fighting you can sprint to get around the back of bigger slower foes at the cost of stamina

Edited by NewlyRetired

Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but what difficulty are you playing on?

Veteran. "Normal" was too easy in the demo, so I bumped it one notch. To be honest, it's still a little too easy now that I've got the combat system down. If I was starting over, I would go up another level.

I found both ME1 & ME2 were completely different games when played on the toughest difficulties. I would put it in the same category as how Bioshock transforms into having great gameplay(besides the story, that's always awesome) when you up the difficulty. If the challenge isn't there, the gameplay feels flat because you can just walk through everything while you don't need strategy and don't fear death. Besides that, the gameplay is a secondary concern in both Mass Effect games. They are built for the story, character, and dialog interactions. It seems a lot of people who skipped straight to ME2 are playing it for the gameplay and are missing that perspective and many of the story attachments that playing ME1 brings. This isn't directly at you, its just something I have observed in this thread for a while now.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Obviously there's a lot of interaction with other characters, and it's well-done, but there's also a gigantic amount of combat/shooting as well. This game is very firmly in the action-RPG category. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. It does a great job of tying those two features together.

Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but what difficulty are you playing on?

Veteran. "Normal" was too easy in the demo, so I bumped it one notch. To be honest, it's still a little too easy now that I've got the combat system down. If I was starting over, I would go up another level.

I found both ME1 & ME2 were completely different games when played on the toughest difficulties. I would put it in the same category as how Bioshock transforms into having great gameplay(besides the story, that's always awesome) when you up the difficulty. If the challenge isn't there, the gameplay feels flat because you can just walk through everything while you don't need strategy and don't fear death. Besides that, the gameplay is a secondary concern in both Mass Effect games. They are built for the story, character, and dialog interactions. It seems a lot of people who skipped straight to ME2 are playing it for the gameplay and are missing that perspective and many of the story attachments that playing ME1 brings. This isn't directly at you, its just something I have observed in this thread for a while now.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Obviously there's a lot of interaction with other characters, and it's well-done, but there's also a gigantic amount of combat/shooting as well. This game is very firmly in the action-RPG category. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. It does a great job of tying those two features together.
Playing on "Veteran" as well. I'm about 8 hours in now and am starting to warm up to it a bit. I've recruited a few teammates, upgraded a few weapons and kicked a few butts. Still too much talking overall, but at least the characters and story are getting more interesting. :thumbup:

I'm currently on chapter 7 in Deadspace 1. I hated the meteor shooting challenge, beat it with 4% hull the 5th time. Great game, This may be the first game I play through twice. Bioshock, which I thought was excellent, didn't even warrant a second play through.

Just a FYI Homefront preorders from Best Buy this week come with a free bluetooth headset for PS3 and USB headset for xbox.

Nice - I was going to wait on reviews but I could use a free headset.Best part is I can buy the 360 game and get the Ps3 headset :rolleyes:

Not sure if you mentioned this or not, but what difficulty are you playing on? I found both ME1 & ME2 were completely different games when played on the toughest difficulties. I would put it in the same category as how Bioshock transforms into having great gameplay(besides the story, that's always awesome) when you up the difficulty. If the challenge isn't there, the gameplay feels flat because you can just walk through everything while you don't need strategy and don't fear death. Besides that, the gameplay is a secondary concern in both Mass Effect games. They are built for the story, character, and dialog interactions. It seems a lot of people who skipped straight to ME2 are playing it for the gameplay and are missing that perspective and many of the story attachments that playing ME1 brings. This isn't directly at you, its just something I have observed in this thread for a while now.
Agreed on all points, especially the difficulty. ME2 on insanity is a completely different game. You actually have to properly position your squadmates and use a few tactics (like flanking).

Does anyone still play (or ever played) Imperium Galactica on the PC? I've been looking for a download recently and every one of them I've found either requires the disk anyway or has a fatal error in the file somewhere.

I played it years ago, but don't have the disk any longer.

So I figured I would do all the DLC and a handful of side missions before continuing the the main storyline in ME2. (I haven't gone after the IFF yet, but I have my whole team assembled with everyone loyal). Whoever designed Operation Overlord ought to be banned from the video game industry. Not only should they not be allowed to design games any more, they shouldn't even be allowed to play video games. Not even a Galaga machine at the airport. Why anybody would decide to suddenly turn a game heavy on conversation, shooting, and team-based combat into a vehicle platforming game is a mystery that I don't think I want to know the answer to.

So I figured I would do all the DLC and a handful of side missions before continuing the the main storyline in ME2. (I haven't gone after the IFF yet, but I have my whole team assembled with everyone loyal). Whoever designed Operation Overlord ought to be banned from the video game industry. Not only should they not be allowed to design games any more, they shouldn't even be allowed to play video games. Not even a Galaga machine at the airport. Why anybody would decide to suddenly turn a game heavy on conversation, shooting, and team-based combat into a vehicle platforming game is a mystery that I don't think I want to know the answer to.

That was a frustrating part of it, but the story and payoff is very cool, IMO. I enjoyed it, as well as Shadow Broker.

:unsure: The dialogue between Joker and EDI in the "Joker" mission is freaking hilarious. :D

EDI: 'I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees'

Joker: (looks awkward)

EDI: 'That was a joke.'

:lmao:

(warning: spoilers) Edited by Andy Dufresne

:shrug: The dialogue between Joker and EDI in the "Joker" mission is freaking hilarious. :)

EDI: 'I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees'

Joker: (looks awkward)

EDI: 'That was a joke.'

(warning: spoilers)
"This is all Joker's fault. What a tool he was. I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."