What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (13 Viewers)

OK I am going to try No Man's Sky tomorrow.

Any tips for a complete newbie to this game (and to space simulators in general)?
Play normal. Follow the “missions” to start. It’s basically just text instructions.

At the start, don't worry about collecting everything or anything other than what you need. There will be lots of time for that later. 

You’ll get a Terrian Modifier very early. Once you have that, if you get stuck in the heat or cold just blast a hole/cave into the planet for shelter.

Oxygen is used to refill you health meter by putting it into your Life Support. I missed this tip early on.

CoD: Black Ops 4 Multiplayer Trailer (Beta)

Call of Duty is my shameful joy. I hate it so much. The community is trash, the game feels soulless and the company is borderline evil. But man does is feel good to land four bullets in someone then turn and get another kill. Don’t get me wrong, 2 kills in a row is rare for me but when it does happen ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Call of Duty is my shameful joy. I hate it so much. The community is trash, the game feels soulless and the company is borderline evil. But man does is feel good to land four bullets in someone then turn and get another kill. Don’t get me wrong, 2 kills in a row is rare for me but when it does happen ...
That's how I feel about Gears of War. Gears 4 was plagued by the same garbage since the first game. Laggy online play that rewards players with worse connections through lag compensation to make the game "fair".  The community is also trash. The company can barely string together a competent story now that they're so focused on multiplayer. But when you get a run going and you frag 4 or 5 guys in a row to a bloody pile of entrails, it just feels so good.

Borden said:

Agree.  I will play a few games of TDM each night just to blow off some steam.  Usually I'm more frustrated afterwards than when I started, but I went on a 9 kill streak last night (might have been the first time ever) and it was glorious.  My 15 year old was next to me playing something else on the other TV and I was shticking it up yelling "suck it noob!" as I kept the streak going.

I'll get on tonight and go negative I'm sure.

NewlyRetired said:
OK I am going to try No Man's Sky tomorrow.

Any tips for a complete newbie to this game (and to space simulators in general)?
  • You want to focus on mining Carbon, Ferrite Dust, oxygen, and Sodium to start off.  Those are the only items you need to survive, other elements are for building/upgrading things and you will need them eventually so farm them if you can but they're not as important as the other items.
  • Upload your discoveries for nanites (special currency).  Save those nanites for when you see "S Class" Scanner modules from the module vendors on the space stations.  You'll have the option of buying blueprints or upgrade modules from those vendors, my advice is to go for the S Class Scanner modules first.  They cost around 450nanites each so you'll spend your nanites on nothing but those for a while.  You can stack up to 3 in your multitool.  You'll go from scanning fauna/flora for 400 credits to scanning the same animals for 200,000 credits.
  • Keep an eye out for manufacturing centers.  These provide blueprints for things that can sell really well.  My wife got one last night that she can build which requires about 500,000 credits in materials but once she crafts it, sells for 2,000,000 credits.
  • If you warp into a system and get asked to help a freighter, fly up to that freighter and see if it's cool looking before you open the comms channel with them.  Don't help it if it's not cool looking.
  • Upgrade your suit inventory at every space station you go to.  You can only add one slot at each space station and they start off cheap but go up in cost every time you upgrade.

That's all I've got for now.  I'm sure I'll come up with more later.

OK I have some beginner questions for No Man's Sky on PS4

1) I just finished fixing my ship and it tells me to take off.  Should I try and explore more of the planet I am on first?  There are some things (like a grave I see in the distance) that I am unsure if I am suppose to look at or if I should just follow the quest instructions.

2) I have one mini quest that I can't seem to complete.  I found the analysis visor and I think I know how to use it (I can use L2 and tag minerals and such items).  But the quest won't clear, it says I have not completed it.  The text of the quest is as such:

"Test the Analysis Visor (L2) 0/1"

What do I need to do to make the quest clear?

3) This one is a long shot but my raggedy old eyes are having trouble reading the small text.  Is there any way to increase the text size?

Anybody getting Madden?  Haven't played in a few years - grew up with them and played 2004-2008 often.  My kid is 7 now and I feel like he'll be more into it if I teach him the plays.  We used to play with no defense in practice mode. 

I'll be getting Madden. Will be a slightly new experience for me as a Jet fan. My usual franchise strategy was to completely punt / sim the first season and get a high pick to draft a franchise QB. Won't have to do that this year.  

I'll be getting Madden. Will be a slightly new experience for me as a Jet fan. My usual franchise strategy was to completely punt / sim the first season and get a high pick to draft a franchise QB. Won't have to do that this year.  
No, you can play out the first two years before you realize you need to do it again.

Fortunately for you, there is a fine line between contending and tanking for the Jets, so you still get good draft picks even after "good" Jets seasons.

[Low hanging cheap shots]

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
OK I have some beginner questions for No Man's Sky on PS4

1) I just finished fixing my ship and it tells me to take off.  Should I try and explore more of the planet I am on first?  There are some things (like a grave I see in the distance) that I am unsure if I am suppose to look at or if I should just follow the quest instructions.

2) I have one mini quest that I can't seem to complete.  I found the analysis visor and I think I know how to use it (I can use L2 and tag minerals and such items).  But the quest won't clear, it says I have not completed it.  The text of the quest is as such:

"Test the Analysis Visor (L2) 0/1"

What do I need to do to make the quest clear?

3) This one is a long shot but my raggedy old eyes are having trouble reading the small text.  Is there any way to increase the text size?
1) The point of the game is to explore.  Explore away, space will always be there when you're ready.

2) You need to target a mineral or plant or animal with your visor.  A scanning progress bar will come up, when you hit 100%, you've scanned something.

3) I have no idea.  I've got the same problem trying to read some of the text.

Some important things No Man's Sky doesn't really make clear that are important: 

1. You can only have one Multi-Tool. I wouldn't prioritize spending the credits you need for a really good one until you have found and hoarded 3 S class scanner modules like Kanil suggested. And when you've done that, you'll then want a Multi-Tool with enough slots to fit all the mods you want. But you may be offered one for free in NPC conversation at times, so just be aware that you can't get the old one or any existing mods/tech once you've switched.

2. You can only own 6 ships (the ones you actually fly--fighters, explorers, haulers, and shuttles) at a time. These will stack up quickly once you start finding crashed ships. Once you're at the limit, the last ship you hopped into the cockpit of becomes the ship you'll trade in during any future ship transaction--and since that's likely to be the ship you tool around in the most, full of all your stuff, be careful. Use the Summon Other Ship command to call and hop into the cockpit of the ship you actually want to replace. Make sure you keep the launch thrusters of your backlog of ships topped off to enable this summoning. 

3. Freighters are like the Multi-Tool in that you can only ever have one. I'd suggest following Kanil's advice above about only rescuing a Freighter you like the look of early on (you'll keep getting opportunities). 

Part of the fun for me has been figuring everything out, so I won't overload you with info @NewlyRetired. But I'd be lying if I said that the NMS reddit and google haven't been an essential part of me avoiding too much frustration so far, so if you want more info let us know. 

I agree that you should always just do what you want and explore any planet/system at your leisure as long as you can survive it. That's part of the fun. But I would just advise that it isn't really necessary to find everything that a world has to offer or strip-mine it really. As soon as you find yourself wanting something new, go. Other than specific quest markers there's nothing you HAVE to be anywhere in particular to do. Personally I hop around quite a bit and really only priorotize Drop Pods and crashed ships on planets. I haven't needed to grind for money since I tricked out my new Multi-Tool with S tier scanner mods. 

I would follow the main quest for a bit to get your feet wet and teach you how to craft some important stuff--the game autosaves when you get out of your ship and it manual saves at save posts you'll see in certain areas--but you don't want to only rely on a single autosave slot that rewrites. Learn to craft a save point early and keep it on you--you can pop it on the ground, save manually, and pick it back up immediately. Painless. Always remember to pick up your portable equipment. Can't count how many Signal Boosters I've accidentally left behind to the wilds when I only ever needed to craft and keep the same one from the start. 

Oh, and you'll be able to change your appearance at space stations.

The last Madden Game I played was before consoles could be played over the internet.  Fortunately, none of my roommates were ever controller jedis, so they got a lot of play.

I've never played a sports game online.  FPS RTS and MMOs only.

Bucky86 said:
I'll probably get Madden this year. I usually go 2-3 years in between and the last one I bought was Madden 16'
This. Last one I got is '17. May skip this year but I'm thinking I'll probably get one more this console generation.

'16 is also the last Madden I bought, and I used to be a midnight purchase guy in college. They won't be getting my money again until they improve Franchise mode in meaningful way. I figure if I wait another year or two it might actually feel fresh. 

:lol:  It’s always my quick fix before the regular season starts. Play a few games against the computer. Go online and get spanked. Rage quit. Don’t play for a day. Go online get spanked. Rage quit. Repeat. 
I don't play much anymore, but can you still get the downloaded roster updates without having an online subscription?

The problem I always had with Madden was All Pro was always too easy and I would win games 50-7 but All Madden was always too hard and I could never win. Without changing a million sliders I could never play a normal game and I got bored of it quickly. is it still like that? I only care about Franchise.

The problem I always had with Madden was All Pro was always too easy and I would win games 50-7 but All Madden was always too hard and I could never win. Without changing a million sliders I could never play a normal game and I got bored of it quickly. is it still like that? I only care about Franchise.
Yes it is :(

The Maddens I had, it seemed like it was just different plays that worked well.  I could score 70 points under either level, but I had to choose different defensive schemes or focus more on different routes.

The last Maddens I played was a year where Brooks and Vick were the starting QBS for NO and Atlanta.  Not sure who was on the cover or what year exactly.

The last Madden Game I played was before consoles could be played over the internet.  Fortunately, none of my roommates were ever controller jedis, so they got a lot of play.

I've never played a sports game online.  FPS RTS and MMOs only.
I'd say you should get it and we can give it a try, but I wouldn't even play sports games online with people I know.

Some important things No Man's Sky doesn't really make clear that are important: 

1. You can only have one Multi-Tool. I wouldn't prioritize spending the credits you need for a really good one until you have found and hoarded 3 S class scanner modules like Kanil suggested. And when you've done that, you'll then want a Multi-Tool with enough slots to fit all the mods you want. But you may be offered one for free in NPC conversation at times, so just be aware that you can't get the old one or any existing mods/tech once you've switched.

2. You can only own 6 ships (the ones you actually fly--fighters, explorers, haulers, and shuttles) at a time. These will stack up quickly once you start finding crashed ships. Once you're at the limit, the last ship you hopped into the cockpit of becomes the ship you'll trade in during any future ship transaction--and since that's likely to be the ship you tool around in the most, full of all your stuff, be careful. Use the Summon Other Ship command to call and hop into the cockpit of the ship you actually want to replace. Make sure you keep the launch thrusters of your backlog of ships topped off to enable this summoning. 

3. Freighters are like the Multi-Tool in that you can only ever have one. I'd suggest following Kanil's advice above about only rescuing a Freighter you like the look of early on (you'll keep getting opportunities). 

Part of the fun for me has been figuring everything out, so I won't overload you with info @NewlyRetired. But I'd be lying if I said that the NMS reddit and google haven't been an essential part of me avoiding too much frustration so far, so if you want more info let us know. 

I agree that you should always just do what you want and explore any planet/system at your leisure as long as you can survive it. That's part of the fun. But I would just advise that it isn't really necessary to find everything that a world has to offer or strip-mine it really. As soon as you find yourself wanting something new, go. Other than specific quest markers there's nothing you HAVE to be anywhere in particular to do. Personally I hop around quite a bit and really only priorotize Drop Pods and crashed ships on planets. I haven't needed to grind for money since I tricked out my new Multi-Tool with S tier scanner mods. 

I would follow the main quest for a bit to get your feet wet and teach you how to craft some important stuff--the game autosaves when you get out of your ship and it manual saves at save posts you'll see in certain areas--but you don't want to only rely on a single autosave slot that rewrites. Learn to craft a save point early and keep it on you--you can pop it on the ground, save manually, and pick it back up immediately. Painless. Always remember to pick up your portable equipment. Can't count how many Signal Boosters I've accidentally left behind to the wilds when I only ever needed to craft and keep the same one from the start. 

Oh, and you'll be able to change your appearance at space stations.
awesome info!  I have a bout 5 hours in so far.  Here are some questions/comments

1) I am disappointed with the lack of a manual save, I feel like I don't want to wander too far away from my ship since that is the only way I can see to save my progress.

2) Once @Kanil explained the visor to me, I have been analyzing everything I can find to get more Units and Nanite Clusters. I assume these items function as currency that I can use once I get off the first planet....

3) Is my first planet the same as every one elses or is it purely random where you start?

4) I can see in my log how to track the progress of how many Flaura and Fauna I have found on a planet.  Is there something similar for minerals so that I can see if I am missing any on a planet?

5) There are a bunch of things I can't do yet on my planet due to not having the right/advanced tools yet.  Is it normal to come back to a planet you have already been to once you get more tools?  For example I can't look at a grave site in a cave because I don't yet have a hazmat suit.

6) Do the in game Milestones mean anything in terms of game play or are they just progress markers?

Bull Dozier said:
No, you can play out the first two years before you realize you need to do it again.

Fortunately for you, there is a fine line between contending and tanking for the Jets, so you still get good draft picks even after "good" Jets seasons.

[Low hanging cheap shots]
heh, the last time I felt this way about Madden was when they drafted Sanchez  :loco:

Yes it is :(
One of our guys here @Todem is a slider guru over at Operation Sports (goes by Armor and Swords over there, I think). His sets are for realistic sim play. Highly recommended. 

awesome info!  I have a bout 5 hours in so far.  Here are some questions/comments

1) I am disappointed with the lack of a manual save, I feel like I don't want to wander too far away from my ship since that is the only way I can see to save my progress.

you'll be able to craft a save point you can carry with you soon

2) Once @Kanil explained the visor to me, I have been analyzing everything I can find to get more Units and Nanite Clusters. I assume these items function as currency that I can use once I get off the first planet....

yes exactly, they'll be very important. You also get a nanite bonus if you scan every type of animal on a planet. You have to hold down square in the paw print under discoveries to do this. Tip: look up, the flying animals can be easy to miss/hard to scan

3) Is my first planet the same as every one elses or is it purely random where you start?

random I think

4) I can see in my log how to track the progress of how many Flaura and Fauna I have found on a planet.  Is there something similar for minerals so that I can see if I am missing any on a planet?

Not for minerals, which are generally less important

5) There are a bunch of things I can't do yet on my planet due to not having the right/advanced tools yet.  Is it normal to come back to a planet you have already been to once you get more tools?  For example I can't look at a grave site in a cave because I don't yet have a hazmat suit.

you could always go back, although there's usually more incentive/desire to move forward as nothing is really essential and can be found elsewhere

6) Do the in game Milestones mean anything in terms of game play or are they just progress markers?

they will come into play later if you follow the Atlas questline. Wouldn't stress about it though 

One of our guys here @Todem is a slider guru over at Operation Sports (goes by Armor and Swords over there, I think). His sets are for realistic sim play. Highly recommended. 
Hey thanks man. I will have Madden 19 in hand Tuesday and stream a test CFM. I played the Beta. The player movement was completely redone with this new RPM system using the Dice engine. Players now have true weight and momentum. The running game is totally different now and takes some practice to get the hang of. The WR/DB interactions are also drastically improved. Madden still is way behind the likes of The Show and NBA 2K in terms of immersion and depth of franchise, but Madden is a fun game for me. I still play Madden 16 and 18 a lot (with classic rosters). Those 2 versions IMO were the best gameplay Maddens to date (don't like 17).

This cycle I am assisting a fantastic classic roster creator on Operation Sports creating classic draft classes. He will be dropping (his handle is Iteachpercussion on OS) a 1985 full roster set and later down the line a 1990.

We will have full draft classes for:

1986, 1987, 1988 , 1989

1991, 1992, 1993,  1994

To compliment your classic CFMS and keep them playable with all the great players from the greatest era of the NFL.

I will develop a slider set for All-Pro difficulty but keep in mind I use a specific set of house rules which you can find on Operation Sports in my slider thread. I develop the sliders for my play style and users should tweak them from their to suit their own.

I'd say you should get it and we can give it a try, but I wouldn't even play sports games online with people I know.
I've been a PC player since 2004.  Last console I had was PS2.

I will be getting schooled by my nephew on Saturday most likely.  6 hours of "babysitting" which will likely be star wars or marvel movie and then running this noob over in Maddens or Fortnite while trolling me that Kawhi Leonard is no good and that the Lakers are going to win it all this year.

1) There is a manual save option, you just need to build the device that does it.

2) Currency is used for things both on and off planet.  You may find tradeposts on the planet but most of the vendors I interact with are on space stations.

3) It's not the same but it's not totally random.  They make sure not to start you off on a planet that's going to kill you in 30 seconds and also make sure you're on one that has all the items you'll need to get off of it.  This is different if you play on survival mode as they don't GAF if it's harder.

4) Negative.

5) Some planets I go back to, some I don't.  It won't be long though before you have all the items you need to do everything on a planet.

6) Some of the milestones are gate checks for the main quest.  They don't want you speedrunning through it and skipping tons of content so they make sure you've done things like "meet X aliens" or "learn X amount of alien words".  Those usually correspond with a milestone.

I've been a PC player since 2004.  Last console I had was PS2.

I will be getting schooled by my nephew on Saturday most likely.  6 hours of "babysitting" which will likely be star wars or marvel movie and then running this noob over in Maddens or Fortnite while trolling me that Kawhi Leonard is no good and that the Lakers are going to win it all this year.
Welcome to my life!

'Cept my wife said I can't call it babysitting if they are mine. (Well, that and they don't need babysitters anymore).

Hey thanks man. I will have Madden 19 in hand Tuesday and stream a test CFM. I played the Beta. The player movement was completely redone with this new RPM system using the Dice engine. Players now have true weight and momentum. The running game is totally different now and takes some practice to get the hang of. The WR/DB interactions are also drastically improved. Madden still is way behind the likes of The Show and NBA 2K in terms of immersion and depth of franchise, but Madden is a fun game for me. I still play Madden 16 and 18 a lot (with classic rosters). Those 2 versions IMO were the best gameplay Maddens to date (don't like 17).

This cycle I am assisting a fantastic classic roster creator on Operation Sports creating classic draft classes. He will be dropping (his handle is Iteachpercussion on OS) a 1985 full roster set and later down the line a 1990.

We will have full draft classes for:

1986, 1987, 1988 , 1989

1991, 1992, 1993,  1994

To compliment your classic CFMS and keep them playable with all the great players from the greatest era of the NFL.

I will develop a slider set for All-Pro difficulty but keep in mind I use a specific set of house rules which you can find on Operation Sports in my slider thread. I develop the sliders for my play style and users should tweak them from their to suit their own.
Rookie DJ Dozier is a 99 overall I assume, otherwise you are doing it wrong.

I get my Madden fill through EA Access (Xbox only).  $30/year and the latest Madden usually becomes available a little after the Superbowl.  I'm fine with that.  I don't need to play the latest edition right at launch, plus EA Access allows me access to other EA games, like NHL, NBA Live, Fifa, Battlefield, etc.

I got the EA Premier Access and have been playing Madden, love having it on the PC again.  They had other games I'll be playing as well (Anthem, FIFA, No Way Out, Battlefield V) so I thought $100 was a great value.

Looking at the Black Ops 4 preorder options. I see the digital deluxe ($99) and the digital deluxe premium ($129), do not offer a Season Pass. Just a Black Ops 4 "Pass". The info doesn't really state anything otherwise. Are they doing away with the Season Pass option? Any one got some insight on this?

Some No Man's Sky comments and questions:

* After almost 8 hours of play, I reluctantly left the first planet.  I wanted to complete discovering everything but the last creature has eluded me.  I have searched for multiple hours, in day light and night, in all terrains, and in caves and the sky.  There is no water on my first planet.  I even fed some of the creatures as I read that might help make more creatures appear but all it did was make the same 4 creatures that I already found appear more.  Even the creature marked as "rare" I found at least 20 times.  I might just be missing something obvious.

* In the long search, I found that the first planet was not as desolate as I thought.  I found aliens and out posts, a bunch of ships I could buy if I had the money.  I found my first way point and set up my first base and discovered numerous sections of the planet (I do not see a stat that lists how many sections can be uncovered on this given planet so I can't really be sure how much I have explored).

* I finally decided to get into space. When I did. I headed for the first space station I saw in the hopes to grab some quests.  But when I got there I did not know how to dock, I just kept bumping into the station.  How does one dock with these space stations?

* After failing to get on the space station and I then followed the main quest and landed on my second planet and will go from there and see what happens.

* Is there a site which describes the various icons that pop up from time to time on the lower right hand side of the screen?  Some I can guess but some I am unsure of.

* In a similar question, is there anything that describes what is all over my compass heading?  I can make out my ship and a couple of other items in the compass but the rest just looks like blue dots and I am unsure what they are suppose to signify.

* After almost 8 hours of play, I reluctantly left the first planet.  I wanted to complete discovering everything but the last creature has eluded me.  I have searched for multiple hours, in day light and night, in all terrains, and in caves and the sky.  There is no water on my first planet.  I even fed some of the creatures as I read that might help make more creatures appear but all it did was make the same 4 creatures that I already found appear more.  Even the creature marked as "rare" I found at least 20 times.  I might just be missing something obvious.

* In the long search, I found that the first planet was not as desolate as I thought.  I found aliens and out posts, a bunch of ships I could buy if I had the money.  I found my first way point and set up my first base and discovered numerous sections of the planet (I do not see a stat that lists how many sections can be uncovered on this given planet so I can't really be sure how much I have explored).

* I finally decided to get into space. When I did. I headed for the first space station I saw in the hopes to grab some quests.  But when I got there I did not know how to dock, I just kept bumping into the station.  How does one dock with these space stations?

* After failing to get on the space station and I then followed the main quest and landed on my second planet and will go from there and see what happens.

* Is there a site which describes the various icons that pop up from time to time on the lower right hand side of the screen?  Some I can guess but some I am unsure of.

* In a similar question, is there anything that describes what is all over my compass heading?  I can make out my ship and a couple of other items in the compass but the rest just looks like blue dots and I am unsure what they are suppose to signify.
I read this on a forum. No idea if it still applies.

Docking at a space station involves flying into the station tractor beam, a blue shaft of light coming out of the space station opening. This will automatically pull the ship inward and land it on one of the eight landing pads.

And I think I balled myself even worse...  Went back to the old save, caught up to where I was, replaced the old save with only 2 guys on 3 day injury, didn't think that was bad.  Well I was wrong, overseer mission happens instantly and those two guys on IR happen to be my only 2 upgraded snipers, probably the units I use the most.  I'm not sure this mission is going to go any better this time...  I don't know how any of you guys plan this on ironman and can get anywhere.  It's difficult to survive any mistake.
I try to get one guy upgraded to open up the barracks stuff and swap the rest out constantly. You have to keep a b team roster going at all times. Pay attention when you shoot a small or medium ufo down, you can outfit some noobs and get some xp vs thin men. Ironman is no joke. The hardest thing to do is cut your losses and let the aliens have a win. 

Hardest thing is managing early game sat coverage. 

I get my Madden fill through EA Access (Xbox only).  $30/year and the latest Madden usually becomes available a little after the Superbowl.  I'm fine with that.  I don't need to play the latest edition right at launch, plus EA Access allows me access to other EA games, like NHL, NBA Live, Fifa, Battlefield, etc.
The one thing of EAs I have purchased. It's probably their best value.

Some of them are just really hard to find. I realized why after some googling--there are some creatures as small as moths that just flit around that are very hard to scan, and hard to even notice unless you happen to have your scanner up and see the red dots that signify an unscanned species. I've run across this twice and both times they were flitting around bigger plants, if that helps. But honestly nanites are pretty easy to come by as you go on, so if the bonus reward for getting all the animals scanned is your reason for hanging around, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are a completionist by nature and just like that aspect of 100%  completion of each planet...then that's gonna be tougher. Good luck haha.

Glad you're enjoying exploring. Me, once I've scanned the wildlife and plantlife that isn't super difficult to find and gotten a good taste of the atmosphere of the planet, which helps me decide whether to set down a base computer to come back later or not, I like to just hit the important stuff on each planet and then bounce. Which changes daily according to what my current goal is. Otherwise the temptation to be a completionist and scour a single planet for multiple play sessions can take over and to me it kinda kills the intent of the whole "endless galaxy" aspect. But that's just me. Usually I prioritize drop pods (to expand inventory space at the cost of some cobalt, carbon, ferrite, etc), crashed ships (once I find one distress beacon I have found that dropping a signal booster and just hitting the free "find nearby locations" option chains all the distress signals together and I can just keep finding crash sites until I've exhausted what the planet, or at least that part of the planet, has to offer), and manufacturing facilities for crafting blueprints. Trying to find some that can make me some big money. After I hit the highlights I usually go on to the next system. Its easier now that I've got a freighter (tricked out with ten storage units) to help haul all my crap around in, and it helps that they are more efficient in Warp fuel usage and can go to even Red and Green stars from the get-go. 

The other poster is right, there will be a blue shaft of light pouring out of every space station that you just fly directly into and autopilot will take over. You must have just been on the wrong side of the station or hitting the approach angle strangely--space stations are hugely important and will eventually let you teleport from base to base across the universe. That's also where you can change your appearance and purchase inventory slots for units.

You really can't go wrong just following the main quests for a while honestly. I did a lot of stuff on my own, freeform, that I then had to re-do for the main quest anyways (as it starts as a tutorial meant to teach you the game's different systems) and that was kind of annoying. Like, thanks dude I have 50M in cash saved up but sure I could use some instructions on how to craft an ion battery.

I'm not sure about this, I'd hit the google for a key maybe. After a while you will just know what the symbols represent on your compass/radar, there aren't really that many once you've got some experience looking for them. 

Are you talking about while in the cockpit of your ship, flying in pirst person mode? The blue dots are just other ships, sometimes you can find crashes that way but its hit or miss since the dots can also be representing ships flying far overhead. I never see this as I generally run around on the ground in first person but fly in 3rd person (wider field of view when getting jumped by pirates in space, and generally cooler looking imo).

Hope this stuff helps, man. You enjoying it so far?

Hope this stuff helps, man. You enjoying it so far? 
yes it is great help!  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the newbie type questions.

As for enjoying it, I think I can say both yes and no :)

As you seem to have picked up, I am a completion-ist when playing games.  Leaving an area not 100% explored is not in my gaming DNA but I do realize that I can't play like that in this game with out driving myself nuts :)

Are you talking about while in the cockpit of your ship, flying in pirst person mode?

no I was talking about running around on the ground.  I had a ton of symbols on the compass, many of the blue in color but I did not know what they were.  I think because I explored the one planet so heavily, everything I found may have left a marker on the compass in one form or another.

yes it is great help!  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the newbie type questions.

As for enjoying it, I think I can say both yes and no :)

As you seem to have picked up, I am a completion-ist when playing games.  Leaving an area not 100% explored is not in my gaming DNA but I do realize that I can't play like that in this game with out driving myself nuts :)

no I was talking about running around on the ground.  I had a ton of symbols on the compass, many of the blue in color but I did not know what they were.  I think because I explored the one planet so heavily, everything I found may have left a marker on the compass in one form or another.
Glad to hear! I think as time goes by you'll find the right balance between "finishing" areas and naturally exploring. Its still something I struggle with. "I landed here for one point of interest...but 550 feet away there's a resource deposit! I have plenty of copper but maybe a little more before I go...and then 400 feet further there's an artifact! But now I'm almost 1,000 feet from my ship. Well, that's pretty far, I might as well keep exploring further since I'm gonna use launch fuel to summon it to me anyways." And them whatever I was doing falls by the wayside haha. This game has a way of doing that and melting hours away. 

As for the blue symbols on your compass, I know what you mean now. The ones off the top of my head are like this: 

Blue square: resource deposits. 

Red building: building of interest. Either a trading port or an abandoned building (be careful!) or something like that.

Blue building (I think): manufacturing facility, observation post, etc. 

Purple symbols: Always ancient ruin related, the purple treasure chest symbol being a reward you can dig up and unlock with keys you also dig up. This is a great way to earn good money early on, as a treasure hunter. Always seek knowledge of the past when asked at a ruin, and find your treasure.

Yellow I, II, and III: Rare resources/items that sometimes are protected by Sentinals. I'm sure you've had some run-ins with them by now. 

finally got back into God of War - such a good game.  I just don't have time to play it.

I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through now.   

Hope to finish it before the end of year :lol:

Looking at the Black Ops 4 preorder options. I see the digital deluxe ($99) and the digital deluxe premium ($129), do not offer a Season Pass. Just a Black Ops 4 "Pass". The info doesn't really state anything otherwise. Are they doing away with the Season Pass option? Any one got some insight on this?
My recollection is the "season pass" stand alone option is going away, but it is included in either the $99 or $130 options.  I believe the only difference between the $99 and $130 options are more COD points, and one extra digital bonus item in the more expensive package.

So on a whim I bought The Hunter Call Of The Wild. I had never ever played a hunting simulator before.

I am really hooked on this game.......like big time. I enjoyed that aspect of Far Cry 5 so much I said to myself let me try this out in a real simulator. And by george it is super relaxing, filled with amazing scenery, awesome strategy in earning harvests (Trophy's for kills). 

I got my first Moose and felt it was highly earned. I tracked her for over a mile....and was able to get her to come up on my as I lay prone in a tall area of brush before I put a fatal shot into her lung. Moose are very hearty and large and tough to hunt. It was rewarding. Also got my first Coyote last night tracking him through a marsh. There are different regions and preserves on the game and it is very well done. I am doing a large epic single player campaign and you can hunt online with friends as well.

Really impressed and enjoying it immensely. 

Users who are viewing this thread