What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (3 Viewers)

Played Mafia 3 for a good while on the weekend. It’s decent. I was expecting it to be a lot worse though. Definitely an R-rated game based on language and violence. Excellent sound track. Average+ story. Gameplay is average. Solid game for a rainy weekend that might draw you in past that. But worth checking out for free on PS4 this month.

The makers of 'Fallout' and 'Skyrim' just issued an ultimatum to Sony over the PS4, and it could have a huge impact on the future of gaming

Sony is dropping the ball on this one. Fortnite was the first to break this egg open. Others will pile on now. Microsoft torpedo’d an entire console generation with a bad E3 conference. This could be a turning point for Sony if they don’t get with the times.
I'm glad the software companies are pushing back. Isolationist policies are not going to cut it anymore.

The makers of 'Fallout' and 'Skyrim' just issued an ultimatum to Sony over the PS4, and it could have a huge impact on the future of gaming

Sony is dropping the ball on this one. Fortnite was the first to break this egg open. Others will pile on now. Microsoft torpedo’d an entire console generation with a bad E3 conference. This could be a turning point for Sony if they don’t get with the times.
This is interesting.  I'm all for cross-platform online play...  but I can also see Sony's point.  They outsell MS.  If your friends are on PS then you have to buy a PS4 to play w/ them online, more hardware means more sales.  If this exclusivity is gone, then I can by another companies product (Nintendo or PC or XBone) and play w/ my friends.

I don't play fortnite or much of anything online, so I don't really care.  But I like business trends and economics, in the end the rules of supply and demand will always win out.

This is interesting.  I'm all for cross-platform online play...  but I can also see Sony's point.  They outsell MS.  If your friends are on PS then you have to buy a PS4 to play w/ them online, more hardware means more sales.  If this exclusivity is gone, then I can by another companies product (Nintendo or PC or XBone) and play w/ my friends.

I don't play fortnite or much of anything online, so I don't really care.  But I like business trends and economics, in the end the rules of supply and demand will always win out.
I completely get what Sony is saying but it could work the other way as well. I have an XB1 because my brothers play on XB. If that didn’t matter, I’d be PS4 for sure with Bloodborne, the Show, etc...  Their exclusives are way better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone try We Happy Few yet? I know they made a lot of changes from the game preview version that released a couple years ago. Just curious how important the survival aspect is now. That was easily my least favorite part of it. Wondering if it's worth a purchase.

Playing and getting better at PUBG on my XB1X. I’m actually really into it and kind of addicted now.  I have not won, but in the last week I’ve got a bunch of top 5s and a few top 2 finishes.  In one of these I just need some circle help. Earlier I had a 7 kill game and in the final 3, then sure enough the circle shifts to the only house left on the board where one guy is holed up and the other is behind it using cover. I wait as long as I can to come out behind the tree and it was like a firing squad pointed right at me. 

Playing and getting better at PUBG on my XB1X. I’m actually really into it and kind of addicted now.  I have not won, but in the last week I’ve got a bunch of top 5s and a few top 2 finishes.  In one of these I just need some circle help. Earlier I had a 7 kill game and in the final 3, then sure enough the circle shifts to the only house left on the board where one guy is holed up and the other is behind it using cover. I wait as long as I can to come out behind the tree and it was like a firing squad pointed right at me. 
I haven't tried the new update yet but I played for a solid 6 months last year into this year. Way more difficult to win compared to fortnite. I managed dozens of #2 finishes but could never get a solo chicken dinner. I've won a bunch as a 2, 3 or 4 man squad. Just could never close out that solo. 

Insein said:
I haven't tried the new update yet but I played for a solid 6 months last year into this year. Way more difficult to win compared to fortnite. I managed dozens of #2 finishes but could never get a solo chicken dinner. I've won a bunch as a 2, 3 or 4 man squad. Just could never close out that solo. 
Yeah definitely more difficult than fortnite, but I think at least partially that has to do with circle luck. In Fortnite, I would play the circle but I could always build cover if I had to move in the open.  That’s not an option here so when there’s 5 of us in a small area and the next circle means I’m the one who has to cover open ground, it’s kind of a bummer.  There are things I can do, spam smoke I suppose,  but even then eyes are on me as soon as they see the grenade fly out. 

Im determined to get a solo win, one on each map. That’s my goal. 

I've only pulled off one solo win. Final circle ended up just outside the fenceline of the area with the shipping containers on Erengal. There were no buildings left, just tall grass that we were both prone in. The other guy was nice enough to give away his position by firing first without knowing exactly where I was. I only had 3 kills and 2 of them were the other 2 guys in the final 3.

...and then something like this.  PUBG. 24 remain, I had just killed a guy at the crate so I was level 3 armor and helmet, and AWM, and an AK decked out. Literally only thing I needed was a 4x or better for my sniper. I go in a house on the edge near the water. Every door shut, nothing looted, no sound. I eventually head to the roof - once I open the door, someone prone and facing the door shot about 900 vector bullets into my groin and killed me.   :unsure:

He crawled to my body, shut the door, looted me, and reassumed his position.  I could only stand watching him lie there completely still for about 2 minutes until I quit out. 

...and then something like this.  PUBG. 24 remain, I had just killed a guy at the crate so I was level 3 armor and helmet, and AWM, and an AK decked out. Literally only thing I needed was a 4x or better for my sniper. I go in a house on the edge near the water. Every door shut, nothing looted, no sound. I eventually head to the roof - once I open the door, someone prone and facing the door shot about 900 vector bullets into my groin and killed me.   :unsure:

He crawled to my body, shut the door, looted me, and reassumed his position.  I could only stand watching him lie there completely still for about 2 minutes until I quit out. 
#metoo

Pre Order Red Dead 2 and Amazing Spiderman. Might get the Flair WWE2k19 Collectors edition. Cannot wait for Fifa 19 as they have the Champions League licensing and they have a ton of new licensing for other leagues this year. 

I bought Madden. Did the storyline and thank god you aren't a cowgirl for too long. It's better Long Shot this year as you get to have a career mode with Devon Wade. My only gripes so far is some of the defenses this year seem almost unbeatable. Way too many throws are intercepted. Also when controlling just the QB as in Wade's mode the RBs seem to not have a functioning RB IQ. They run right into defenders, run backwards or juke or spin when not needed etc. They routinely miss open holes. I finally figured out running from Shotgun and doing stretch plays work the best. Running inside is almost unmanageable and the O line sometimes does not know how to block. Another concern for me is the fact I'll be running with Wade or another player. Wade is pretty fast and should beat DLine and LBs but theres a glitch in the game where it slows him and skill guys up and the DL and LB meet up with you like they were Usian Bolt running after you. A run that should net you a big play or a first down ends up only going for 2-5 yards. I'm not the only one who's complained about this. I played last years game almost up to the day Madden 19 was released. Holes I had as a returner and then on offensive plays I see but the defender really crashes down and picks up lack of yards this year. I don't know if that's intentional or not by EA but it really irks me. I should be rewarded for hitting the right hole not swollen up like I ran straight into a wall of defenders. I was pretty good on HoF mode last year. A bit challenging but not frustrating. Seems they ramped up advanced mode. I usually start at a lower level then HoF mode most sports games as sometimes to my surprise the developers ramp up the toughness of it. 

Insein said:
GOT ONE, BABY!  WOOOOOO!

Video clip attached. One thing to note, I was crawling backwards because I saw another player coming out of Mansion and was positive that’s where the final guy was coming from. Looking back at the clip now you hear a silenced sniper kill someone right at the start, and I think that was the death of the guy I was looking for. Generally I wouldn’t Michael Jackson my way into the circle, but I had been staring at the guy before this clip starts. 

Anyway, that was intense!  Lining up and hitting that last shot is probably a top 10 gaming moment for me. My dog was snoozing and shot me a look because I might have yelled out a bit.  Now I need one on Miramar and then the new map when it releases!

http://xboxclips.com/guerilla+gunner/d86f0e51-ced7-49d6-8b70-b72547e7efb1

...got another.  2 in my last 3 matches.  5 kills the other day, 6 kills today. It was a bit of a boring finish honestly, the game ended in a field so all 3 of us are prone within 100ft of each other and things just worked out. 

Cross platform play presents a ton of problems. Stuff like:

-Mouse and keyboard versus controllers. In shooters, mouse and keyboard users have an insurmountable advantage against console controller guys

-Server hosting. Who will host servers? Who will moderate them? How will they balance connections properly?

-Large imbalances in hardware will present lots of problems. One nice thing about playing on a console is knowing that everyone else is playing on the same hardware?

-Who will monitor cheaters/hackers (that will be almost entirely from the PC side)?

For Microsoft, none of this truly matters. Because if people get tired of PC users dominating cross platform play, they'll simply abandon consoles for PCs...which benefits Microsoft. 

GroveDiesel said:

-Mouse and keyboard versus controllers. In shooters, mouse and keyboard users have an insurmountable advantage against console controller guys

-Server hosting. Who will host servers? Who will moderate them? How will they balance connections properly?

-Large imbalances in hardware will present lots of problems. One nice thing about playing on a console is knowing that everyone else is playing on the same hardware?

-Who will monitor cheaters/hackers (that will be almost entirely from the PC side)?

For Microsoft, none of this truly matters. Because if people get tired of PC users dominating cross platform play, they'll simply abandon consoles for PCs...which benefits Microsoft. 
Can you have cross all consoles, and exclude PCs?

I can't recall if the game was mentioned here or somewhere else, but I purchased Dead Cells on Steam a couple of days ago (it released last week).  And I give it a big thumbs up.  The basically a Castlevania-style game with rogue-like elements.  It feels very similar to Rogue Legacy, if any of you have played that one.  It's still in early-access, but it feels solid already and I can tell that I'm going to enjoy this one.  

I'll leave this link of a player review here.  It should give you an idea of what type of game it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE33KGy94yQ
Bump.  It's on console now and it's a lot of fun.  

WampusCat43 said:
Watched this whole thing. Lots going on. Looks awesome. The dialogue writing is straight out of a bad “B” movie. The screen looks a very busy and maybe a bit too confusing. I’m still not sold on it being a FPS either. Also, I can’t stand games that have so much dark/night settings. These issues have calmed my expectations. 

All that said, lots that I like and stuff that went above and beyond my expectations. The effort and thorough thinking of the people making this game is amazing. Day 1 “ultimate edition” must buy for me.

We got anyone playing Dead by Daylight from the free PSN this month? Really liking it. Def a game best with friends tho. Some people playing by themselves are really stupid.

Seems like a game you gotta be careful to not play too much tho otherwise you'll burn out pretty quickly. But again, really fun. Really gets my heart pumping. Kind of like virtual hide and seek lol.
yeah I have been playing it a bit, so anybody wants to jump on and play I would be in. I am horrendous at it (like Jim in the office when he is running into a wall on that one episode) so I should be an easy kill for someone.

GroveDiesel said:

Can't you hook up a mouse and keyboard to most consoles now; I thought that consoles adapted to that limitation either while the PS2 was out or in the next generation?

Back in the early 2000's I played games where there were multiple server hosts, where you could run your PC as the server or set up your own separate server however you wanted.  Ever since Battlefield2 and maybe COD2 I think that EA and whoever does COD run or lease out or license their own servers, so they have some control over what kind of shenanigans can happen on them.  And what is there to moderate that would vary by console or PC?  What is the connection difference between different consoles and PCs?  Those issues have always been there and always will regardless of cross-platform functionality.

For competitive play, most xbox and PC players that I have seen turn DOWN most their settings (not view distance) to make outlines sharper and once you get to a frames per second over, I think 30, the only thing that matters is that you want your max fps set to sync with your monitor refresh to minimize stuttering.

All of these games have cheat detection software.  If they wanted to crack down they could.  I also think that cheating is overblown, always has been.  It's people that aren't very good telling themselves that they only lose because someone else is cheating.

Have you played any games online since the 90's?  I'm assuming you haven't actually played anything cross-platform yet.

Can't you hook up a mouse and keyboard to most consoles now; I thought that consoles adapted to that limitation either while the PS2 was out or in the next generation?

Back in the early 2000's I played games where there were multiple server hosts, where you could run your PC as the server or set up your own separate server however you wanted.  Ever since Battlefield2 and maybe COD2 I think that EA and whoever does COD run or lease out or license their own servers, so they have some control over what kind of shenanigans can happen on them.  And what is there to moderate that would vary by console or PC?  What is the connection difference between different consoles and PCs?  Those issues have always been there and always will regardless of cross-platform functionality.

For competitive play, most xbox and PC players that I have seen turn DOWN most their settings (not view distance) to make outlines sharper and once you get to a frames per second over, I think 30, the only thing that matters is that you want your max fps set to sync with your monitor refresh to minimize stuttering.

All of these games have cheat detection software.  If they wanted to crack down they could.  I also think that cheating is overblown, always has been.  It's people that aren't very good telling themselves that they only lose because someone else is cheating.

Have you played any games online since the 90's?  I'm assuming you haven't actually played anything cross-platform yet.
Honestly, I would love to answer all of this, but it's pretty clear that you are a PC gamer and have no idea how console online gaming works. If I have more time later in the week, I'll respond to all the items. 

Really, it all comes down to my last point anyway. I don't think that Sony cares about cross-platform with XBox nearly as much as they do with PC.

Been playing Rocket League competitive for a month or two. When I first ranked I was a Gold 2. I was definitely not a gold 2 level. I've since fallen as low as bronze 3 but sit at Silver 2. I feel like I'm a better player now though. The game is so simple to play but stupidly hard to master.

Madden is trash. Don’t buy it. I’m sorry I did. 

The story mode is an embarrassingly bad story. The drills don’t work. Defenders in coverage are insane. My WRs won’t turn around and I hit them in the chest with the ball but they don’t react. DBs are getting picks that make the OBJ catch look normal. Menus are clunky. The “hold X to skip” comes up between almost every play. It’s just bad. It’s embarrassing and I’m ashamed I bought it.

Edit: You also have to make and sign into your EA account to get the “online features”. 

The story mode is an embarrassingly bad story. The drills don’t work. Defenders in coverage are insane. My WRs won’t turn around and I hit them in the chest with the ball but they don’t react. DBs are getting picks that make the OBJ catch look normal. Menus are clunky. The “hold X to skip” comes up between almost every play. It’s just bad. It’s embarrassing and I’m ashamed I bought it.

Edit: You also have to make and sign into your EA account to get the “online features”. 
I think it’s has the best gameplay in years but the franchise is so watered down. It’s little things like they no longer keep track of wide receiver drops. Such a tiny thing but why in the world isn’t it in there?  They don’t really keep track of your players rewards and there’s just no substance to any of the franchise stuff. 

Personally I like the difficulty being wrapped up on defense. In past maddens I would routinely throw for 700 to 1000 yards and upwards of 10 touchdowns in a game. You’re not doing that in this version unless you’re playing on anything below all pro

:yawn:   No way...

The story mode was a joke last year too. A reality tv show in front of a live audience to find a UDFA quarterback. Just the dumbest s*** I've ever seen.

I think it’s has the best gameplay in years but the franchise is so watered down. It’s little things like they no longer keep track of wide receiver drops. Such a tiny thing but why in the world isn’t it in there?  They don’t really keep track of your players rewards and there’s just no substance to any of the franchise stuff. 
I'm assuming you meant player awards? MLB The Show does a terrible job tracking award history too. This is something I'd like all the major sports franchises to improve on. If every sports game could track awards like the NBA 2K franchise, I'd be in sports gaming heaven.

I'm assuming you meant player awards? MLB The Show does a terrible job tracking award history too. This is something I'd like all the major sports franchises to improve on. If every sports game could track awards like the NBA 2K franchise, I'd be in sports gaming heaven.
Correct. They still do it but it doesn’t list which awards they won, only “yearly award”. Unless the news story says it I do t know who won the Sb mvp. 

Been playing Rocket League competitive for a month or two. When I first ranked I was a Gold 2. I was definitely not a gold 2 level. I've since fallen as low as bronze 3 but sit at Silver 2. I feel like I'm a better player now though. The game is so simple to play but stupidly hard to master.
If you're interested, I can join you sometime.  I thought I had you already on my friends list, but I added you.  I go as TravJam on Xbox.  

Borden said:

I can't imagine story mode being worse than last season.  Although I guess that's possible.  Yuck!

Every few years I'll go back and read this old Madden post from way back when.  It's like a relic from a much simpler time.  I used to play all the time.  I was so engaged with NFL/MLB back then.  Remember having the Madden soundtrack memorized completely from all the time I spent in the lobby..

Just posting it again for safe keeping

Oh man, so much information that I'd love to share with you guys on this game..

KillerNerd said:

I've been playing a bunch of Madden lately, and had a bunch of questions. Most of the time I sim out the playoffs and regular season, and then either play the playoff games or use the 'total control simulation'. Here are some questions:

1. What's the best way to get the young players to actually develop?

Seems like my QBs and CBs never get better, and most of the time get worse.

a) How important are position ratings for the coaches?

b) Does practicing plays before games help?

1. a) My advice: Figure out the players that you want to develop the most, and sign a position coach that best suits the positions of the players you want to develop. For instance, let's say you wanted to develop a quarterback, really badly- you could hire Vinny Testaverde to be your OC, and while Vinny Greenballs sucks at basically every other offensive position, your QB's attribute points will go up at a better rate. Your OC should have positional coaching ratings which best apply to the offensive players you want to develop, your DC should have positional coaching ratings "" "" "" defensive players you want to develop, and your Head Coach should just be someone who rates out really highly overall, such as Parcells or Belichick (NE Coach, I think?), someone who ideally is a great motivator. But as someone else said, actual experience and production are way more important in a player's development.

b) no.

2. How do I get my blockers to actually do something during the punt returns?

I would say about 95% of my punt returns are fair-catches.

There's really not much at all you can do to get off a good return that I know of.. Even on the punt-block audible to a punt return, the computer usually kicks it really high so that it's virtually impossible to return it for a TD. I'd rather compile the yards for my offensive players anyways.

3. What's the best way to evaluate talent for the rookie drafts?

Doesn't seem like I get many players above a 77 rating in the draft

*breathes deep*

Okay. In my experience with this game, the vast majority of my draft selections have been Wide Receivers. As someone else said, speed is absolutely the most precious attribute in this game; players can't develop speed, but they can develop everywhere else. I like to have the highest possible speed at every position on the field; my QB is Vick, and my TEs are Antonio Gates and Matt Jones (87 and 93 speed, respectively), my Defensive Ends are Boss Bailey and Derrick Johnson (88 and 89 speed at DE!!), my OLBs are a couple of converted SSs, both with 93 speed, and my MLB is Al Wilson. I'll add on a bit later about the value of converting players, but right now I'll try to stay focused on evaluating talent in the draft.

Since I don't know what you want the make-up of your team to look like, I'll describe how you should evaluate each isolated position.

QB: Throw Power and Throw Accuracy are the most important, but I'd recommend just trading for Vick. He's easily worth whatever you give up for him, and he gives you the option of bailing on a play whenever it goes badly. Some people will say that using Vick is cheesy, but it's nice to not ever have to punt. But if you're looking to develop your own guy, the first keys are definitely TP and TA; you want your guy to have "Amazing" evaluations in those two categories, but if I had to select one over the other, Throw Power is definitely the more important of the two. Accuracy comes with experience, and within 3 years, a QB with 99 TP will likely be serviceable enough with his Accuracy that he can start for your team.

RB: Speed, speed, speed. Absolutely without a doubt, the best way to make for a productive running game is to use a player who has the highest Speed rating, followed by Break Tackle. In my experience, the most fun guys to use at RB are the badasses with 99 Break Tackle. I have a RB whom I drafted named Anthony Mansfield; dude's a beast, but he only has 89 speed, and while he only averages somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 yards a carry during the games (I've run the ball 62 times with him in a game before, so teams stack up against him, preventing high YPC averages), he also usually averages about 15 Broken Tackles per game. It's awesome to bowl over DBs. But, if you're after simply a productive running game, your best bet is to trade for the fastest WR you can find and then convert him to RB. Not only are most receivers faster than RBs, they also have a higher inherent Catch rating. I used Bethel Johnson (98 speed) as a RB for about 3 years, and with the mammoth offensive line I had blocking for him, he was a freaking BEAST. When he got to the 2nd level, he was gone, and on 3rd downs he could catch the ball out of the backfield better than just about any other RB in the game. Don't be scared to draft a strong WR with good speed as your starting RB; keep in mind that Anthony Mansfield ran a 4.23 forty before I drafted him, but for whatever reason he only rated out with 89 speed after I signed him. The speed ratings translate the most accurately for WRs, and there's nothing more frustrating than blowing your load over a RB with sub-4.3 speed and him rating out with sub-90 speed after you sign him.

WR: Again- speed. I look first at the forty they run, followed by Height and then Strength. If I have two players who have the exact same attributes, I look at how they Interviewed with the team. I don't know if you've ever played MVP Baseball, but they have a system of Player Ratings where certain players have 5-stars; I have a hunch that Electronic Arts did the same thing in this game, and they did it with their Interview ratings. Most of the guys I have drafted had at least an Average rating in the Interview process, and my team is pretty much 99s across the board. This Interview principle is a tiebreaker for all the positions you evaluate as far as I'm concerned. The guys who post up good Interviews are also less likely to hold out for a better contract, I believe. The Height of the receiver seems to matter as well, because I have a much easier time throwing hard passes to tall receivers on slant routes than the short guys. I dunno.

TE: This one really depends on what type of offense you like to run. I like to utilize my TE position dependent upon what I'm doing on offense. For example, in my 2-TE single-back set, which I pass out of 100% of the time, I have Antonio Gates and Matt Jones set at TE. But in my Strong-I formation, which I run out of 99% of the time, I have simply subbed in my best back-up offensive lineman as the TE to run-block for my badass RBs. I generally ignore this position in the draft, unless a guy with sub-4.4 speed falls to like the 3rd/4th round or something. Converted WRs are much more productive here for passing offenses, and most TEs that you can draft max out at like 84 speed. This is another position where I feel converted WRs are the best value.

Tackle, Guard, Center: The first attribute I look at here is Strength, without question. The second I evaluate is their rating in the run-blocking and pass-blocking categories, which again are dependent on what type of offense you like to run. But you really can't miss here if you just draft for Strength, Run/Pass Blocking rating, 40-time, and finally character (the Interview rating). Pretty much anybody that has 90+ strength will develop into a 90+ offensive lineman after just 2 or 3 years on the bench. Even the young guys you sign off waivers develop into solid starting linemen, assuming you have a quality OC. Another tidbit to add here: Centers are by far the best value you can get on the offensive line. Those 99 guys at Center like Olin Kreutz and Kevin Mawae (just as an example) convert into excellent Tackles as well, and they usually cost less and are much easier to trade for. Conversely, trading for a guy like Jonathan Ogden will not only cost you $6 million plus, but it will also cost you a fortune to trade for him since he plays Tackle (for some reason this game forces you to pay more for Tackles than Centers). I hate drafting linemen though, it's too easy to just trade for guys on other teams, and since I started with the Bengals, I didn't need very much on the offensive line anyway.

DE: DO NOT EVER DRAFT DEFENSIVE LINEMEN. EVER. EVER EVER EVER. They are a piss-poor value, they're slow, and even if they run a fast 40-yard dash, their speed will inevitably reduce to somewhere in the 75-84 range after you sign them. I just convert LBs to DEs, because my defense is largely based on speed and sacking the quarterback/forcing interceptions. Hell, you can sign a fast LB like Roanall Smith off waivers, and he'll be a 90+ DE with 83 speed in just a year's time. I also have yet to notice any deficiencies by my converted DEs in stopping the run. I think Jonathan Vilma is a 99 at DE the moment you convert him, but I can't remember.

DT: Another position I generally avoid in the draft. I actually like to convert MLBs to be my DTs, because for some reason, out of all the players in the defensive front seven, MLBs rate out higher at every position you can switch them to. You'll notice if you've fooled around with this before that, in terms of difficulty, MLB seems to be the toughest position to get a good player at. Every defensive player from the front seven will suffer in attributes when you convert them to MLB, but every MLB will improve when shifted to OLB, DT, or DE. But yeah, in terms of evaluating DTs in the draft, I've never really even cared enough to sort them out by anything other than Strength and 40-time.

OLB: This is one of my favorite positions; if you're looking for speed at OLB, my advice to you is to draft a bunch of Strong Safeties, and then convert them to OLB. Strong Safeties have better Speed and better Catch ratings, and their overall rating actually increases most of the time when you convert them to OLB. I like this type of player at OLB, because I can call the same goal-line defense every down, and I'll have 90+ speed matched up with whoever the WRs on the other team are, even though my Linebackers are the ones who are matched up with the WRs. Evaluating OLBs in the draft though, I really just look at Speed, Hands, and Character.

MLB: Not much different here than OLB.

CB: This position is the only other position besides WR where their 40-time in the draft translates to their actual time after you sign them. There's no guaranteed way of knowing what their Speed ratings are before you sign them, but generally if a WR or CB runs a sub-4.3 forty, he will have 95+ speed. The problem I have with drafting Cornerbacks is that, while they tend to be fast, their Catch ratings usually suck. What I've done on several of my franchises is convert fast WRs (sometimes even guys I signed off the waiver wire; case in point: Carlos Francis, a 76ish WR with 95+ speed, who after a couple of years developed into a 95+ overall FS) into defensive backs. I'm all about the INT, so the ability to catch the ball is a must. At the very least, if I'm going to draft a CB, they better be fast as ####, because otherwise I could just draft a scrubbish WR and get better value anyways. This WR Conversion principle applies to every position in the secondary.

FS: Meh. Same as CB.

SS: Also pretty much the same as CB. I notice though that here the computer seems to value players that have high Tackle ratings. You'll be just as well to convert a WR to be your SS though. Draft all the SSs with good speed and convert them to OLB.

4. What happens if you ignore players that are holding out?

I thought there were more questions, but I'll probably think of them later....

I'm somewhat of a cut-throat when it comes to these bastards. What I usually like to do is re-sign them to an absurd contract with zero signing bonus, and then trade them for draft picks. I hate when players hold out, but what you can also do, which is a pretty cheesy but effective method, is to edit them to a position where they rate poorly, re-sign them to a 7-year deal, and then convert them back. If you edit them and they're still demanding a lot of money inspite of a severe drop in overall rating, just cut them loose onto the waiver wire, and then re-sign them to a cheap 7-year deal.

And as a side, here are the strategies I use on offense and defense, the defensive one in particular I think you'll find fun to play around with.

OFFENSE

Playbook: TB-J. Gruden

Favorite Passing Play: Single-back Normal formation -> Dual Drag

Favorite Running Play: Strong I-Normal formation -> HB Off Tackle

On the running play listed there, choose the direction you want to run it based on which ever side the defense is giving you. If you're running it towards the side with the TE, shift the WR on the side of the TE to move to the opposite side, than snap the ball and run the play as soon as the WR crosses behind the QB. If you're running towards the weak side, just shift your fullback to block for you in that direction. I've had a lot of success using this running play.

DEFENSE

I use the Jam Cover 1 play out of the Goal Line formation every. single. down. As soon as you call this play, push Triangle + Right (aligns your defensive players with their assigned man), push Triangle + Down (bumps the opposing WRs at the line of scrimmage), and shift your defensive linemen away from the TE on the offensive side. This frees up the guy off the edge to run free at the QB on passing plays, resulting in an absurd number of sacks. Even if the opposing offense is running towards the weak-side, you can just control the SS who's covering deep and keep him hovering over the side with the TE, and then force the play towards your defensive linemen.

UBER-CHEESY MOVE YOU CAN DO ON DEFENSE

Hold on to R2 to look at the buttons for the players on the opposing offense. If the HB's button shows up as L1, it's virtually guaranteed that it will be a passing play. If it is R1, there's roughly a 90% chance that it will be a running play, unless it is in the Single-back 3-WR set or the Weak I-formation. Sadly, this works online as well.

Ok, I'm going to bed.

Users who are viewing this thread