What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (10 Viewers)

I'm going to ask for Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I eventually want to try Shadow of the Colossus as well, maybe God of War (but I've never played any of these before), and maybe Nioh as well.  I bought a PS3 late in its life basically just for The Last of Us and The Show, I'll definitely be getting the Last of Us 2 and the newest version of the Show when it comes out as well.

I picked up God of War on sale this past weekend and it is my first entry in the series. I've been debating on Shadow of the Colussus for quite awhile too. Pretty cheap nowadays. It's actually in my GameStop cart along with FO4 and Dishonored 2.
Just pull the trigger on Shadow of the Colossus. Cheap, and pretty quick actually. Packs a lot of story into a small game. Even without a ton of gaming availability you should be able to finish it in 2-3 weeks tops. I have a fair amount of time and I probably beat it in 6 or 7 days. And it has one of the greatest endings in gaming.

Just pull the trigger on Shadow of the Colossus. Cheap, and pretty quick actually. Packs a lot of story into a small game. Even without a ton of gaming availability you should be able to finish it in 2-3 weeks tops. I have a fair amount of time and I probably beat it in 6 or 7 days. And it has one of the greatest endings in gaming.
Actually I read it was shortish and subbed it in over Horizon Zero Dawn for now. I’ve got a lot of hours left to go in RDR2 which makes me think a shorter game to get myself going on PS4 is better. 

So im getting the 1tb slim, Bloodborne GOTY, and Shadow of the Colossus. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any guidance on new 2ds XL v. New 3ds xl? I’ve read that most tire of the 3D quickly and don’t even use it so 2ds seems to be way to go. 

Any guidance on new 2ds XL v. New 3ds xl? I’ve read that most tire of the 3D quickly and don’t even use it so 2ds seems to be way to go. 
I never let my son use the 3D. I read somewhere it was bad for your eyes before a certain age. He outgrew the 3DS quickly and moved on to XBox and PS4. I would probably get the 2DS.

I have an original NES system. Had it serviced 5 or 6 years ago with new parts and all my cartridges cleaned. I sent it to an Authorized Nintendo service center. I probably have over 45 games.

I decided to pop in Super Tecmo Bowl in for the first time in 4 or so years and start a Dolphins season. Damn.....this game is so much fun and was so ahead of it's time back in 1991. I had a freaking blast and did not stop playing for 3 hours and was able to get in 12 games in that time span. Just pure joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an original NES system. Had it serviced 5 or 6 years ago with new parts and all my cartridges cleaned. I sent it to an Authorized Nintendo service center. I probably have over 45 games.

I decided to pop in Super Tecmo Bowl in for the first time in 4 or so years and start a Dolphins season. Damn.....this game is so much fun and was so ahead of it's time back in 1991. I had a freaking blast and did not stop playing for 3 hours and was able to get in 12 games in that time span. Just pure joy.
Started up a new College Hoops 2k8 Legacy last week, and I feel the same about that one.  Tecmo Super Bowl was incredible.

Just finished up RDR2 couple nights ago. Now jumping back (again) to finish up AC Origins. I tell ya, once I'm done with this damn game, never touching another AC ever again. It's very good, and fun, but it's just way too big a game/map. I probably sound crazy for that, but this thing makes Skyrim look small. Been working on it intermittently for 9 months.

Just finished up RDR2 couple nights ago. Now jumping back (again) to finish up AC Origins. I tell ya, once I'm done with this damn game, never touching another AC ever again. It's very good, and fun, but it's just way too big a game/map. I probably sound crazy for that, but this thing makes Skyrim look small. Been working on it intermittently for 9 months.
I probably put 60-70 hours in over 4-5 months. Once I completed some of the BS quests I felt compelled to do for some reason (eg, looting all the tombs) and focused on the story, I really liked it. But yeah, I’ll be waiting until late 2019 at the earliest before I dive into Odyssey for sure. 

I'm tempering my enthusiasm a bit with The Outer Worlds.  I'm sure I'm going to really like it, but hearing that it isn't going to have a massive open world, you'll be boxed in a bit.  No romance options, which isn't a killer by any means, but I like it better when choosing race/gender means something.  Certain things should be unavailable if you pick a male vs a female and vis-versa

thecatch said:
I probably put 60-70 hours in over 4-5 months. Once I completed some of the BS quests I felt compelled to do for some reason (eg, looting all the tombs) and focused on the story, I really liked it. But yeah, I’ll be waiting until late 2019 at the earliest before I dive into Odyssey for sure. 
Odyssey is amazing.  Best one yet

Agreed.  I put it away for RDR2 for a while but my wife has probably close to 80 hours and last night said, "I thought I was almost done but I just found out I'm not even close".
i just started it a couple weeks ago.  i have played most of them.  always loved black flag so i dig this new one having ships 

This is what I heard. I cant wait to play it as I loved Origins but I am still finishing up RDR2 and then I plan on playing Shadow of Tomb Raider next before I can sink my teeth into AC
i am playing red dead as well.  i have almost 30 hours in AC odyssey and it feels like i might be halfway done

I'm tempering my enthusiasm a bit with The Outer Worlds.  I'm sure I'm going to really like it, but hearing that it isn't going to have a massive open world, you'll be boxed in a bit.  No romance options, which isn't a killer by any means, but I like it better when choosing race/gender means something.  Certain things should be unavailable if you pick a male vs a female and vis-versa
It's so hard to do open world's in space games. Because it's space you expect different planets, and it's just not possible to build the interactive open world we expect for all of those. I don't think I've ever seen a multi planet game that has a great open world feel. Andromeda was probably the closesest, but most seemed to not like that game.

It's so hard to do open world's in space games. Because it's space you expect different planets, and it's just not possible to build the interactive open world we expect for all of those. I don't think I've ever seen a multi planet game that has a great open world feel. Andromeda was probably the closesest, but most seemed to not like that game.
Andromeda did come close. They did a lot of good things with the size of the explorable area on the planets and the settlements that were on them. It had a lot of areas to expand upon. It's just a shame they chose to abandon it.

Just finished Red Dead Redemption 2.  It was fantastic, but I have absolutely no desire to do any more free roaming after sinking God-only-knows-how-many hours into that one.

I got a pretty good backlog from Black Friday: God of War 2, Hitman 2, and the Arkham remasters.  I'll probably start Hitman in a couple of days because I want to take advantage of the time-sensitive missions this time around.

Just finished Red Dead Redemption 2.  It was fantastic, but I have absolutely no desire to do any more free roaming after sinking God-only-knows-how-many hours into that one.

I got a pretty good backlog from Black Friday: God of War 2, Hitman 2, and the Arkham remasters.  I'll probably start Hitman in a couple of days because I want to take advantage of the time-sensitive missions this time around.
Yup. I'm not doing any of the hunting crap. I wanna get on those Arkham remasters at some point too. Still got HZD and Witcher 3 to jump into.

Any BOGO deals going on before Christmas? The kids asked for the pokemon game and Mario party for the switch. I wouldn't mind getting Diablo 3 for myself either.

This is where I miss toys r us.  They always had buy 1 get 1 half off or buy two get one free this time of year. 

Played Black Ops 4 Blackout (battle royale for those who don't know) for the first time last night (Primetime convinced me to join him).  I never could get into fortnite or pubg but wow was I surprised about how much fun I had.  We played quads as a party of 3/4 and won 2 out of I think 6 matches.   

Definitely worth a try if you like the COD shooting mechanics but don't like the twitch dominant experience of their regular multiplayer.
I haven't seen you on in a bit. Hop back on and we'll squad up. I'm up to about 120 wins now in Blackout. 

Can anyone educate me on Minecraft?  My 7 year old would love to get into it.  I have a pc and ps4 in my office but would love to set him up somewhere else.  We have an iPad and I'd love an excuse to buy a switch.  Any opinions welcome.  

Can anyone educate me on Minecraft?  My 7 year old would love to get into it.  I have a pc and ps4 in my office but would love to set him up somewhere else.  We have an iPad and I'd love an excuse to buy a switch.  Any opinions welcome.  
I don't know about the switch but it's available on ipad, pc, and ps4.  My son (also 7yo) has it on PS4 and iPad and plays both about equally.  What questions other than that do you have?

Any differences between the versions on the console and the pad?  My wife prefers that he not use an ipad so it's limited to use in one location.

Any differences between the versions on the console and the pad?  My wife prefers that he not use an ipad so it's limited to use in one location.
The iPad is closer to the computer version (can bring up a command console and type in commands like teleport, etc).  The controls are a bit clunky though unless you're going to get some sort of Bluetooth controller.  My son prefers to play it on console and really only digs out the iPad if it's the only option (e.g. vacation entertainment).

My son has Smash but I've never played it before.  Is it pretty easy to pick up the moves, etc. for someone that's never played any of the previous versions?
Yes, it's incredibly easy.  It's basically jump, 2 attack buttons that change depending on the direction you press, hold (right trigger), block (left trigger).  It's not like the old street fighter games where every player had unique move buttons.  I could never pull off most of The moves involving a 180 or 369 on the dpad.  The moves are unique per characters, but the buttons are the same.

Yes, it's incredibly easy.  It's basically jump, 2 attack buttons that change depending on the direction you press, hold (right trigger), block (left trigger).  It's not like the old street fighter games where every player had unique move buttons.  I could never pull off most of The moves involving a 180 or 369 on the dpad.  The moves are unique per characters, but the buttons are the same.
Getting that last 9 degrees was what always got me!  :D

Playing Origins right now and I completely understand your position. However I gotta say it's probably the best installation in the series since Ezio.

Personally I am partial to III but that is probably because of the time period more that anything (although I think Connor is a legitimate bad ##$ and appreciate they didn't go the "adorable gadabout" route they did with Ezio and Kenway).

Origins is the best overall story telling, in the grand scheme of the whole precursors, destruction of the earth thing since they killed off Desmond.  The simplicity of commerce and no development of your own order and shipping routes also alleviates some of the massiveness of the world map.

Great game. Can't wait for Odyssey to drop under $20...or get selected for the Google stream beta.

i am playing red dead as well.  i have almost 30 hours in AC odyssey and it feels like i might be halfway done
You're not. Not even close. I've got probably 60-70 hours in and I don't feel like I am halfway, yet. And that's not even trying to 100% it, which my OCD usually makes me feel obligated to try and do. 

The iPad version is much more basic but still essentially the same thing. There are two console versions. The one that came for the system and the newer cross platform one. If he eventually starts to play with his friends, it won't matter what system they have. They could all play online together. 

As far as the game goes, it's pretty easy for a 7yo to get it. My twin 7yos have been playing since they were five and still play every weekend trying to build some new crazy thing they thought up or saw on a YouTube video.

You're not. Not even close. I've got probably 60-70 hours in and I don't feel like I am halfway, yet. And that's not even trying to 100% it, which my OCD usually makes me feel obligated to try and do. 
Idk.  I'm over 40 now and feel like it's close but we may play different.  Not doing much extra

Hey Guys - thank you so much for your help with getting separate usernames on our sons' Xbox Gold account. It worked like a charm today and they are thrilled to be able to play on their own Xboxes.

Another question if I may: they can't seem to find each other as friends on fortnite. When they search for each other, it says that the other account is not found. We tried both by username and email accounts. Is this possible? I'm willing to believe that things may be a little slow and wonky on servers today. I'm sure there's high traffic. 

So Assassin's Creed Origins is awesome, no doubt.  Just finished it up and even with my loot-ADD I'm not even going to consider trying to clear the map.  It's just waaaaay too big.

My one pet peeve with story driven games is: Why, why, why do programmers feel the need to have a cut-scene conversation with an NPC then take you back to game play only to have you walk 20 feet and have another frigging cut-scene conversation WITH THE SAME DAMN NPC?!?!!?! The last quarter or so of the game was already a whole lot of cut-scene/quick action gameplay/cut-scene...rinse repeat.  No need to make me go through load screens just to continue a conversation with the same NPC.

Starting Quantum Break now.  Not sure how I feel about the live action movie mixed with game play thing but I give them props already for trying something different.

Hey Guys - thank you so much for your help with getting separate usernames on our sons' Xbox Gold account. It worked like a charm today and they are thrilled to be able to play on their own Xboxes.

Another question if I may: they can't seem to find each other as friends on fortnite. When they search for each other, it says that the other account is not found. We tried both by username and email accounts. Is this possible? I'm willing to believe that things may be a little slow and wonky on servers today. I'm sure there's high traffic. 
If they are friends on XBox overall they should be able to go to their friends list and join the others game. There is an invite system as well within the game.

Just received Pillars of Eternity for the PS4 from my son. Time to put on my good ol' BG hat.
If you don't mind, let us know how the old pause-and-play mechanics work, I've wondered how it controls with a console controller for a while and want to play it badly. Is it a radial wheel system when you pause or? I'm having a hard time imagining how it works well without a mouse, but the reviews are all positive. 

If you don't mind, let us know how the old pause-and-play mechanics work, I've wondered how it controls with a console controller for a while and want to play it badly. Is it a radial wheel system when you pause or? I'm having a hard time imagining how it works well without a mouse, but the reviews are all positive. 
Will do. No idea when I'll get time to fire it up.

I previously asked if Battlefield 1 was worth $10 for the single player. Got it free with Xbox gold and would say it is worth a discounted pickup. The campaign was short but pretty well done, and I’ve been enjoying some of the multiplayer even though I rarely play online anymore. 

IIRC, there is a radial wheel for each bumper - one for inventory, one for spells/actions. While not quite as simple as a mouse/keyboard, it is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it.

The kids got Smash for Christmas. Along with Kirby and Mario Party.

Smash is great fun but I need to get the GameCube controller adapter. I'm too used to playing Melee and the new controller scheme feels weird. Seems like a load of fun though. They've added a ton of content to this one.

Users who are viewing this thread