What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (1 Viewer)

Yo I'm going real old school to catch up on newer school. Currently playing Infamous 2 (PS3)  :lmao: . I beat the first one like 4 years ago and I did like it, but it's hard to commit to last gen games for a few weeks to play a game when you're in the current gen era. But I want to beat that before I play Second Son on PS4.
If I recall correctly, those 2 games aren't really related. I could be wrong but I think Second Son is its own thing and playing 2 beforehand won't really make a difference. But if you're having fun, by all means you do you!!

Anyone else here play NBA2K online?  I'm having a hard time figuring out if my experience is normal, or if I need to look into upgrading my router.  The game plays totally different online vs offline.  There is a touch of lag which makes shooting impossible for me (the timing is different as the shooting bar doesn't match perfectly, so you have to release the shot sooner than the bar tells you).  My player moves are slightly delayed, so playing D on the perimiter is nearly impossible.  Then, one out of every 10 games, I'll have a monster game blocking everything and every shot goes in.

Not sure is this is the typical experience for the average gamer, or if I could have router issues.  I have the faster Comcast broadband available, but I have their stock router.
I'm boycotting this game till they fix everything and get rid of Ronnie2K. The dude is a liar. I will not put money into them for a bunch of lies they've made up 

I'm boycotting this game till they fix everything and get rid of Ronnie2K. The dude is a liar. I will not put money into them for a bunch of lies they've made up 
Don't hold your breath.

Curious what games are out there that people are universally pleased with the developers response to issues.  The franchises I've played regularly enough over the years to get into the community have been Madden, Call of Duty and NBA2K.  All are panned every year.  I've become oblivious to the noise.

Don't hold your breath.

Curious what games are out there that people are universally pleased with the developers response to issues.  The franchises I've played regularly enough over the years to get into the community have been Madden, Call of Duty and NBA2K.  All are panned every year.  I've become oblivious to the noise.
So much noise. I play MLB The Show year round. It is a brilliant baseball game. I own NBA2K18....still play that one a ton. Madden 16 and Madden 20 are the only two I play. I still play NCAA 14 on the PS3. Awesome game.

The Show is the only yearly sports game purchase I make. Great game. And people complain there too....a lot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So much noise. I play MLB The Show year round. It is a brilliant baseball game. I own NBA2K18....still play that one a ton. Madden 16 and Madden 20 are the only two I play. I still play NCAA 14 on the PS3. Awesome game.

The Show is the only yearly sports game purchase I make. Great game. And people complain there too....a lot. 
Used to love The Show.  Great graphics, presentation.  Both the franchise and Road to the Show modes were awesome.  What became my frustration is my lack of skill.  I don't remember the details, but what I remember is there are four (maybe five) different skill levels.  For me, the second easiest was too easy.  My RTTS guy would hit .450 with power.  Up it one level, and I'd hit under .200 scrapping the occasional singles.  I want a challenge but not to be frustrated.  I couldn't get past that and haven't played it again. :kicksrock:

Used to love The Show.  Great graphics, presentation.  Both the franchise and Road to the Show modes were awesome.  What became my frustration is my lack of skill.  I don't remember the details, but what I remember is there are four (maybe five) different skill levels.  For me, the second easiest was too easy.  My RTTS guy would hit .450 with power.  Up it one level, and I'd hit under .200 scrapping the occasional singles.  I want a challenge but not to be frustrated.  I couldn't get past that and haven't played it again. :kicksrock:
Which was the last version you played. I can solve it for you with some slider tweaks for All-Star level (which is what you are referring to). All-Star is the default level. I can easily solve it for you. 

Which was the last version you played. I can solve it for you with some slider tweaks for All-Star level (which is what you are referring to). All-Star is the default level. I can easily solve it for you. 
'18 probably.  Though I wouldn't play again until the new one comes out.  My boys buy it every year and I only play baseball games during the baseball season.  I'll check back in if I want to give it a go.

Speaking of MLB the Show.  I believe the '20 version is going to be multiplatform.  I also play MLBTS annually.  

I also still play FIFA despite the warts.  Hate EA tho, so I've stopped spending any additional $ on packs and crap.  

Speaking of MLB the Show.  I believe the '20 version is going to be multiplatform.  I also play MLBTS annually.  

I also still play FIFA despite the warts.  Hate EA tho, so I've stopped spending any additional $ on packs and crap.  
2021 ...

Eh, I was off a bit...  anyone else here get the MLBTS beta?  I haven't fired it up yet, damn shame I have to work for a living.
Yes I am playing it.

Can't say a word about it though per the agreement. 

If you are playing it there is plenty of discussion in the closed beta forum on the theshownation.com/beta

This morning I started:

Divinity Original Sin II

Yeah......I can see this consuming 200 hours of game time for me moving forward. Holy crap. I can already tell I will be obsessed with this game. So deep. So well done. 

I'm nearing the end of The Surge 2.  No surprise, but if you liked the original, you'll definitely like the sequel.  It's mostly more of the same but with some nice improvements in how builds work that encourage more strategy and use of specific load-outs than in the first game.  Not a masterpiece or anything, but well worth it at $30.

So there are 3 games that I have preordered.  And now that Avengers has been officially delayed, that makes all three of them now delayed with no new release date issued.

I'm nearing the end of The Surge 2.  No surprise, but if you liked the original, you'll definitely like the sequel.  It's mostly more of the same but with some nice improvements in how builds work that encourage more strategy and use of specific load-outs than in the first game.  Not a masterpiece or anything, but well worth it at $30.
I was gonna give this a go but got turned off by the reviews. 

I was gonna give this a go but got turned off by the reviews. 
I liked the game overall, but I might be able to confirm some negatives.  The bosses were mostly pushovers, it's easy to get lost in the level design, and enemy encounters are often cheap with guys lurking out of view to ambush you when you engage with another enemy.   And there's a ton of screen tearing.

This is a game built for guys who liked Dark Souls and want a similar game to scratch that itch.  It's a niche title. 

Playing two games right now that I am enjoying. Both are probably in the $30 - $40 range. 

First is Code Vein. It's essentially "Anime Dark Souls". Very similar mechanics - combat is easier, but it's not quite button mash easy. Dodging and parrying are essential. The builds are interesting in that you have different Blood Codes that are essentially classes, and they modify your stats/weapon scaling/powers, etc. You can switch them on the fly, and also make it so a power you liked in one blood code can be used when you have another, etc. That's how you build, basically (leveling up only increases hit points and overall stats - in other words, you don't get to choose to raise strength.) Once you understand it, the builds are a little deeper than Souls. Tons of weapons and such as well. 

The level design tries to be souls-like with shortcuts/etc, but it's just ok. I've enjoyed the game, and it's at least worth a try if you like Souls type games. I find that I play for 2-3 days, but then feel the itch to move onto something else. Then after a week, I'm back at this for another 2-3 days.    

I'm also playing Rage 2. It's shooter-type combat with a pretty big open world, fun vehicles, etc. If you like the Mad Max game and the various Far Crys, you'll probably like this. The combat is really fun, and it's deeper than I first thought in terms of character builds and upgrades and such - everything seems upgradable, and you make choices on how to spend your various character / upgrade currencies. I'm enjoying it, and it seems like the ideal game to pair with Code Vein until Spring.  

I'm also playing Rage 2. It's shooter-type combat with a pretty big open world, fun vehicles, etc. If you like the Mad Max game and the various Far Crys, you'll probably like this. The combat is really fun, and it's deeper than I first thought in terms of character builds and upgrades and such - everything seems upgradable, and you make choices on how to spend your various character / upgrade currencies. I'm enjoying it, and it seems like the ideal game to pair with Code Vein until Spring.  
I'm waiting for this one to drop under 20 on a sale and I'll pull the trigger.

Currently playing God of War. Pretty good deal for 10 bucks. I struggled at first because I hate the camera angle with Kratos taking up almost half the screen, and after coming over from Assassin's creed Odyssey, he felt like a bloated whale swimming in peanut butter compared to a super quick and agile Kassandra. I was dying a lot the first day I played, but yesterday played quite a bit on the holiday and was doing much better.

Watchdogs 3 right? That's strange. Ubisoft is so massive they usually just crank games out without significant delays.
I saw a while back that it was delayed with no new release date.  But some places still say March.  So I'm not 100% sure on this.

I just fired up Wildlands again over the weekend. I know it's a few years old now, but are any of you still playing it also? Any other new games similar to this one out there?

Speaking of older games. I also played Red Alert 2 over the past week or so.   I love breaking out  the C&C games couple times a year.  What an incredibly fun RTS series. 

I just fired up Wildlands again over the weekend. I know it's a few years old now, but are any of you still playing it also? Any other new games similar to this one out there?

Speaking of older games. I also played Red Alert 2 over the past week or so.   I love breaking out  the C&C games couple times a year.  What an incredibly fun RTS series. 
Warcraft 2 and Red Alert was the highlight of RTS games for me. After that, they got a bit too complicated and overwhelming, but I loved these. I wish they would re-release these games on tablets. 

I used to LOVE RTS games (mostly the age of empires series). The genre has really gone downhill since the change over to 3d. 2d games were uglier but much simpler. 

The only thing that sucked about them is that after a while, the super hardcore players would solidify their build orders and strategies and it became incredible hard for a more casual player to compete online. I was always a decent player, but I'd always end up getting matched up against some Korean kid who could bury me with a super efficient rush in like 10 minutes

I was always a decent player, but I'd always end up getting matched up against some Korean kid who could bury me with a super efficient rush in like 10 minutes
If I wasn't able to win quick (WC2) I would get crushed. I was not a natural multi-tasker. Repetition and efficiency was the closest thing to a strength I had.

bigmarc27 said:
Warcraft 2 and Red Alert was the highlight of RTS games for me. After that, they got a bit too complicated and overwhelming, but I loved these. I wish they would re-release these games on tablets. 
Age of Kings II was the best RTS game I played and liked. 

English Longbowmen FTW

Foosball God said:
Cyberpunk delayed now from April to Sept. :(
Yeah, but that was going to be a super-crowded month with RE3, Doom, and Cyberpunk all dropping within a couple of weeks of each other.  I don't mind thinning it out a bit, and I think I'd just as soon play Cyberpunk on next gen hardware anyway.

TLEF316 said:
I used to LOVE RTS games (mostly the age of empires series). The genre has really gone downhill since the change over to 3d. 2d games were uglier but much simpler. 

The only thing that sucked about them is that after a while, the super hardcore players would solidify their build orders and strategies and it became incredible hard for a more casual player to compete online. I was always a decent player, but I'd always end up getting matched up against some Korean kid who could bury me with a super efficient rush in like 10 minutes
After getting worked a couple times by 12 year olds, I’ve been trying to become competent at Starcraft 2 the last couple months. I wasn’t really happy that I was getting dominating by people who weren’t even born when I was playing Warcraft 2 to death back in the 90s. Starcraft is a completely different game than it was even ten years ago - you really have to be on top of 5-6 things at the same time. I found a relatively simple build that even I can manage though, so I’ve been having fun with it 

Anyone else here play NBA2K online?  I'm having a hard time figuring out if my experience is normal, or if I need to look into upgrading my router.  The game plays totally different online vs offline.  There is a touch of lag which makes shooting impossible for me (the timing is different as the shooting bar doesn't match perfectly, so you have to release the shot sooner than the bar tells you).  My player moves are slightly delayed, so playing D on the perimiter is nearly impossible.  Then, one out of every 10 games, I'll have a monster game blocking everything and every shot goes in.

Not sure is this is the typical experience for the average gamer, or if I could have router issues.  I have the faster Comcast broadband available, but I have their stock router.
Shooting is definitely different online vs offline.  The only way to get better is to play more online games.  Unfortunately there isn't a great way to simulate the lag you get online.  The closest way is to go into Pro-Am to shoot around, but the lag in Pro-Am is much lower than it is when you play park or Rec.  

I may boycott buying another sports game for a few years, if ever.  Both EA and 2K are miles from where they should be.  I'm done paying for the newest broken piece of trash when I can always go back and still play better, fleshed out, albeit older iterations of the game that are still better to play today.

So there are 3 games that I have preordered.  And now that Avengers has been officially delayed, that makes all three of them now delayed with no new release date issued.
Serious question.  Unless you're pre-ordering limited editions of these games, why pre-order at all?  Games today are never subject to being unable to obtain on release day like they were in the old days.

-arcK- said:
Watchdogs 3 right? That's strange. Ubisoft is so massive they usually just crank games out without significant delays.
With the way Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint looks, I'd consider Watchdogs 3 being delayed a good sign.  Ubisoft's track record hasn't been too good the last couple of years.

And thus adjourns my weekly visit to this thread.  

Serious question.  Unless you're pre-ordering limited editions of these games, why pre-order at all?  Games today are never subject to being unable to obtain on release day like they were in the old days.
I just order them on Target.  It's free shipping and it arrives either on the release date, or sometimes a day early.  Just saves me the trouble of having to go drive and buy it.  And they don't charge me until it ships. :shrug:

Shooting is definitely different online vs offline.  The only way to get better is to play more online games.  Unfortunately there isn't a great way to simulate the lag you get online.  The closest way is to go into Pro-Am to shoot around, but the lag in Pro-Am is much lower than it is when you play park or Rec.  
I think in the next iteration, I will play strictly online games.  The only other solution I can see is to play online without the shooting meter, and go off shooting form only.  That works with free throws for my center, so I'm thinking it would work with a shooter if I used a shooting stroke I did not use in offline games.

I think in the next iteration, I will play strictly online games.  The only other solution I can see is to play online without the shooting meter, and go off shooting form only.  That works with free throws for my center, so I'm thinking it would work with a shooter if I used a shooting stroke I did not use in offline games.
Some days, I feel like NBA2k online is too much of a chore to play.  I tend to play my PF or Center in the Rec more than anything, so I don't have to deal as much with the shot lag as if I were to play a shooter.  It's frustrating, though, because I do feel that NBA2k punishes bigs more than shooters. During MyCareer games, 7'1" Center dominates the paint and doesn't hesitate to slam it in.  But online, the same guy seems to forget how to play.  So I'm basically a rebounding/shot blocking machine only.   My PF is a little more versatile.  He's a 3-Level Scorer, so he's able to do it all.  But just like the big man, down low, he suddenly forgets how to dunk online.  I blame it to the cheese and overpowered Intimidator badge.   

I may have asked before, but are you Xbox or PS4?

I may boycott buying another sports game for a few years, if ever.  Both EA and 2K are miles from where they should be.  I'm done paying for the newest broken piece of trash when I can always go back and still play better, fleshed out, albeit older iterations of the game that are still better to play today.
yeah I'll still buy Madden (It's an addiction at this point and the one game I spend huge time on career wise) the other is FIFA for the same reasons. I may or may not buy the latest edition of MLB the Show (Tight budget plus spending money on a Metal/Beer fest with a friend to see Mayhem/Abbath near release) as I hardly played last years and have little time to do my detailed career mode which takes up hours of my time. If the game goes on PSPlus as a free game I may download it just to see how it was but I won't be going out of my way for it especially NBA2k. That game and franchise should be a hell of a lot better then it is. NBA Live I was playing up until maybe 8-10 yrs ago when 2K got good. I remember how much further advanced the game was too. 

I agree. I remember having to pre order like Madden and if you didn't you had to at least wait a week for it. Same with COD and other games. Midnight release waiting in a big line at the local Gamestop a bit of a tailgate like atmosphere as the guys would basically do a cookout and all before the 12AM release. Now the last few games I've preordered unless they are a fairly popular release I've just walked in and either was in and out in 4 mins or had to wait a behind 3-4 people and thats it. The other issue is a lot of people just buy the games online now. Why go out and get the disc and wait in line and have a huge hassle. Most games if you pre order will start loading so by the time 12AM release date hits you are ready to start playing. I still like buying the games and I'm a Rewards member at Gamestop. I have so many PTS saved I just use my points to renew my membership. I've learned to gain the system and take advantage where I can as well. The money I've saved just from trading in games for the next game is pretty big. I know people hate the system and yes it takes advantage but having worked at a GS plus having friends and coworkers who have been able to take advantage of loop holes I don't mind trading in games to for another game. 3 of my last 4 games I've yet to pay full price myself. More then half was from trade ins. 

Some days, I feel like NBA2k online is too much of a chore to play.  I tend to play my PF or Center in the Rec more than anything, so I don't have to deal as much with the shot lag as if I were to play a shooter.  It's frustrating, though, because I do feel that NBA2k punishes bigs more than shooters. During MyCareer games, 7'1" Center dominates the paint and doesn't hesitate to slam it in.  But online, the same guy seems to forget how to play.  So I'm basically a rebounding/shot blocking machine only.   My PF is a little more versatile.  He's a 3-Level Scorer, so he's able to do it all.  But just like the big man, down low, he suddenly forgets how to dunk online.  I blame it to the cheese and overpowered Intimidator badge.   

I may have asked before, but are you Xbox or PS4?
Agree on the nerfing the bigs get online.  It is frustraing to have HOF level Putback Boss, and a 95 standing dunk, but not able to throw it down off an offensive board on a regular basis.  I agree the difference is probably due to the NBA players not being optimally designed to stop inside forces (with the aforementioned Intimidator badge).  I am far more successful in the park, and I wonder if there is a compounding effect with intimidator badges, if there are multiple guys in the paint with the badge.  I know my own is activated even when I am not actively guarding the shooter.

I'm on Xbox, btw.

yeah I'll still buy Madden (It's an addiction at this point and the one game I spend huge time on career wise) the other is FIFA for the same reasons. I may or may not buy the latest edition of MLB the Show (Tight budget plus spending money on a Metal/Beer fest with a friend to see Mayhem/Abbath near release) as I hardly played last years and have little time to do my detailed career mode which takes up hours of my time. If the game goes on PSPlus as a free game I may download it just to see how it was but I won't be going out of my way for it especially NBA2k. That game and franchise should be a hell of a lot better then it is. NBA Live I was playing up until maybe 8-10 yrs ago when 2K got good. I remember how much further advanced the game was too. 
Thankfully for me, I play my EA Sports games via EA Access, so $30/year covers those games.  I don't mind having to wait a few months before playing the games.  I don't need the newest one on release.  I still feel that Madden 16 was the last time I enjoyed playing Madden.  Each one I've played since then has been worse than the last.  I haven't played Madden 20 yet, but from everything I've seen and heard, it's a literal copy of Madden 19 (to the point that you can still find the Madden 19 logo in parts of the game) - so assuming that's true, I've played Madden 20.  

I still feel that NBA 2k's best feature is their least played, and that's MyLeague.  The amount of customization you can do in NBA 2k20's MyLeague can keep that game enjoyable for a long time, even after the servers go offline in 2022.  MyPlayer is really fun, but the minimal amount of effort to make that mode better that they show just blows my mind.  MyTeam experiences a similar situation, but I have seen it get better over the last two years - and thankfully, you can still field a good enough team to compete without shelling out extra VC. (And I'm still holding up to my promise of not spending VC on MyTeam this year.  My wallet thanks me!)

Agree on the nerfing the bigs get online.  It is frustraing to have HOF level Putback Boss, and a 95 standing dunk, but not able to throw it down off an offensive board on a regular basis.  I agree the difference is probably due to the NBA players not being optimally designed to stop inside forces (with the aforementioned Intimidator badge).  I am far more successful in the park, and I wonder if there is a compounding effect with intimidator badges, if there are multiple guys in the paint with the badge.  I know my own is activated even when I am not actively guarding the shooter.

I'm on Xbox, btw.
My Intimidator will go off for shots that are taken on the opposite side of the paint when I'm defending weak side.   I play as TravJam on Xbox.  You're welcome to add me if I don't already have you.  

Thankfully for me, I play my EA Sports games via EA Access, so $30/year covers those games.  I don't mind having to wait a few months before playing the games.  I don't need the newest one on release.  I still feel that Madden 16 was the last time I enjoyed playing Madden.  Each one I've played since then has been worse than the last.  I haven't played Madden 20 yet, but from everything I've seen and heard, it's a literal copy of Madden 19 (to the point that you can still find the Madden 19 logo in parts of the game) - so assuming that's true, I've played Madden 20.  

I still feel that NBA 2k's best feature is their least played, and that's MyLeague.  The amount of customization you can do in NBA 2k20's MyLeague can keep that game enjoyable for a long time, even after the servers go offline in 2022.  MyPlayer is really fun, but the minimal amount of effort to make that mode better that they show just blows my mind.  MyTeam experiences a similar situation, but I have seen it get better over the last two years - and thankfully, you can still field a good enough team to compete without shelling out extra VC. (And I'm still holding up to my promise of not spending VC on MyTeam this year.  My wallet thanks me!)
I feel like the GM/Career mode is their best for 2K with the amount of customization you can do from expansion to actually voting on possible rule changes. I feel it adds a lot more realism. I like Madden Career mode a bit more because I can add draft classes again people create so I don't have a whole bunch of Joe Random's by my 5-6th season of the game. This year I did an offline league and played as Coach of every team so I could get the rosters as close to each week as possible. I also liked the new Face of the Franchise as you got to play more of a story. I ended up getting drafted by Den and I very much enjoy playing QB and just throwing or handing it off and see what the CPU does with it. I've found a great partnership with Courtland Sutton who's become like a possession Deep threat. Throw him 3-4 long balls with Playaction mixed in per game and I either end up with a long TD or a huge gain. It's fairly satisfying knowing I wasn't the one having to manually play as the receiver and then seeing Lindsey break one for a TD is entertaining. 

FiFA added this year custom manager which I've enjoyed. They really have some stuff in career manager mode to fix. They spend too much time with their Ultimate/My Team stuff which I never play. Career mode needs more stuff. I want to see clubs offering me players to sell me on a discount as they can't get rid of them or on loan, or to swap with one of my guys. Guys coming back from early loans because you made an agreement with their parent club to buy them or loan them with more playing time. More customization for players in career mode other then Jersey # and their shoes. Some more realism on fan chants and banners would be great. But I know I'm asking for a lot There's still a lot of FIFA players who play strictly career mode and not the UT garbage. They've taken out great features and never put them back in. one of the popular ones was creating your own club on you EA account on the FIFA website and downloading it to play. Guys created whole rosters with clubs with legends in and not in the game as well. I think if FIFA added PES customization with what it had it'd be great. I've yet to experiment with PES and if the price drops a bit more may do so. 

My Intimidator will go off for shots that are taken on the opposite side of the paint when I'm defending weak side.   I play as TravJam on Xbox.  You're welcome to add me if I don't already have you.  
Nittany Dodger 🤝

Users who are viewing this thread