Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to?

6 minutes ago, msommer said:

The Rock chuck (IIRC) is the silenced gun you get for having destroyed all the marauder camps (its silencer doesn't degrade).

Oh, take that skill - I've been short of scrap so many times and then been tricked by the old rope across the road marauder ambush (random) which destroys your engine no matter how slow you go. It sucks to have to walk back to camp 'cause you don't have enough scrap. Can't remember if there are any skills that reduce the use of scrap for mending your melee weapons.

Both my play throughs I've run out of skills before I finished and I'm always scounging for scrap (I wish I could store it in camp when there's plenty)....

I have only ever run in to the rope across the road thing ONCE. I reloaded my quick save. :)  And no, no skill to reduce scrap to repair the melee weapon. That I would have taken!!! And yes, the weapon in your spoiler is what I have been carrying for quite a while. Love that thing. Even takes down those heavy freaker dudes with relative ease, though even that lost some importance when I got the stealth skill for taking those out.

Sorry, I thought Rock Chuck was how you referred to the skill that lets you knock someone out with a rock. I thought you were making a joke!

• Replies 31.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlaX

• Insein

• NewlyRetired

• STEADYMOBBIN 22

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Saga of Tornado Man (continued):  Episode 2: The Butcher and Leap Tornado Man is growing into his role as a leader.  This is most readily seen by his consistent use of the phrases, "This way.

And this is the mentality that keeps me from playing MP most of the time.

So you bought and flipped 2 xboxes at exorbitant prices, and now you’re complaining about the secondary market for PS5s?

2 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I have only ever run in to the rope across the road thing ONCE. I reloaded my quick save. :)  And no, no skill to reduce scrap to repair the melee weapon. That I would have taken!!! And yes, the weapon in your spoiler is what I have been carrying for quite a while. Love that thing. Even takes down those heavy freaker dudes with relative ease, though even that lost some importance when I got the stealth skill for taking those out.

Sorry, I thought Rock Chuck was how you referred to the skill that lets you knock someone out with a rock. I thought you were making a joke!

No worries. It kinda sucks that you only get that gun after you don't really need it any more....

50 minutes ago, msommer said:

The Rock chuck (IIRC) is the silenced gun you get for having destroyed all the marauder camps (its silencer doesn't degrade).

Oh, take that skill - I've been short of scrap so many times and then been tricked by the old rope across the road marauder ambush (random) which destroys your engine no matter how slow you go. 

I jumped out of my chair the first time I hit one of those.  Total shock.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, msommer said:

Oh, take that skill - I've been short of scrap so many times and then been tricked by the old rope across the road marauder ambush (random) which destroys your engine no matter how slow you go. It sucks to have to walk back to camp 'cause you don't have enough scrap. Can't remember if there are any skills that reduce the use of scrap for mending your melee weapons.

Both my play throughs I've run out of skills before I finished and I'm always scounging for scrap (I wish I could store it in camp when there's plenty)....

So got that gun after the first five minutes today. Was all excited until I realized it was a primary weapon. No way I am giving up the chopper.

And sure enough, after saying I never hit the ropes, I hit like three today.

Progressed quite a bit. Had to clear two hordes I think. Filled up the first ingredient in the dump truck. Gonna go whack the three militia camps next before progressing the truck mission.

24 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

So got that gun after the first five minutes today. Was all excited until I realized it was a primary weapon. No way I am giving up the chopper.

And sure enough, after saying I never hit the ropes, I hit like three today.

Progressed quite a bit. Had to clear two hordes I think. Filled up the first ingredient in the dump truck. Gonna go whack the three militia camps next before progressing the truck mission.

The rock chuck is solid against the DCM before the very last mission, for special weapon you ought to bring a sniper rifle, whichever biggest one you got, and pref a silencer for it (but it will deteriorate before you are done). I've done those three both with a sniper rifle and the drifter crossbow. I find them easier with the sniper rifle but that may just be me

ETA: Truck missions = big hordes. Be prepared. Get lots of cans, scrap, airbags, styrofoam, kerosene etc.

Edited by msommer
9 minutes ago, msommer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The rock chuck is solid against the DCM before the very last mission, for special weapon you ought to bring a sniper rifle, whichever biggest one you got, and pref a silencer for it (but it will deteriorate before you are done). I've done those three both with a sniper rifle and the drifter crossbow. I find them easier with the sniper rifle but that may just be me

ETA: Truck missions = big hordes. Be prepared. Get lots of cans, scrap, airbags, styrofoam, kerosene etc.

What's a good way find styrofoam? I rarely have any.

I carry the Tommy Gun and the BFG or whatever it is called (BFD?), always with a fresh silencer unless I need to burn nests. Then I would use the CB with fire arrows.

Edit to add: Went to the garage to drop off some recycle, saw the red gas can for the mower and for a fleeting moment thought "I need to grab that and fill up!" I may have played a bit to much today...

Edited by DallasDMac
10 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

What's a good way find styrofoam? I rarely have any.

I carry the Tommy Gun and the BFG or whatever it is called (BFD?), always with a fresh silencer unless I need to burn nests. Then I would use the CB with fire arrows.

Edit to add: Went to the garage to drop off some recycle, saw the red gas can for the mower and for a fleeting moment thought "I need to grab that and fill up!" I may have played a bit to much today...

There's a couple of styrofoam containers at the Nero checkpoint by the old saw mill (and a few inside but leave them for now :)  ). In Marion I believe there are a couple and where you fought that first horde I also think there are a couple. Can't remember, they are a bit spread out

1 hour ago, msommer said:

There's a couple of styrofoam containers at the Nero checkpoint by the old saw mill (and a few inside but leave them for now :)  ). In Marion I believe there are a couple and where you fought that first horde I also think there are a couple. Can't remember, they are a bit spread out

I think I'm better off just gunning them down, running away, hopping on the cycle when needed to reload my saddlebags, and repeating.

7 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I think I'm better off just gunning them down, running away, hopping on the cycle when needed to reload my saddlebags, and repeating.

A few of the hordes are very large

Neither are AAA but...

I gave a lot of time in a very short period to Cookie Clicker.  Every once in a while I give some time to an idle/incremental/clicker game, hoping I'll get the experience I did from Universal Paperclip.  Cookie clicker is well done and offers some very long gameplay, but ultimately doesn't have a conclusion, so I "clicked" out.  

Into The Breach is a well recommended, low cost, low res, turn-based strategy game on steam that I've just started and like quite a bit.  

Not much of a gamer here, usually at best I am always one console generation behind and play maybe one new (to me) game a year.  Recently picked up a PS4 bundle with God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon Zero Dawn to have something different to do during lockdown.  

Anyway, started God of War first, mostly just been playing a little at night after I put the kids to bed.  I’ve been enjoying it, figured I was about halfway through or so but last night I beat it.  Surprised how short it was, I genuinely had no idea I was so close to the end of the main quest.  I did some of the side quests as they popped up, freed a couple of dragons, etc.  Presumably there’s a lot more I could do, I was just surprised that there’s a map room with like eight locations and I only ever traveled to three of them or something.  All in all I had fun playing it, not sure I have any interest in playing it more now though, will likely move on to one of the other games. 

One observation is that I think I’ve been spoiled by Breath of the Wild, which I loved.  In particular, the fact that you can go practically anywhere in the world seems to have ruined other pseudo-open world games for me.  Every single time in God of War I was unable to climb over a pile of rocks that only went up to my ankles was a frustrating moment in the game.  The fact that I could only climb up walls with weird runic markings on them is such an arbitrary construct, it constantly took me out of the experience and made me feel like I was just going along for the ride rather than doing any meaningful exploring on my own. 

I did enjoy it though.  Probably going to start Horizon Zero Dawn next.  Curious if anyone has recommendations for similar games (anything’s on the table as it’s safe to assume I haven’t played it yet). 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Not much of a gamer here, usually at best I am always one console generation behind and play maybe one new (to me) game a year.  Recently picked up a PS4 bundle with God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon Zero Dawn to have something different to do during lockdown.  

Anyway, started God of War first, mostly just been playing a little at night after I put the kids to bed.  I’ve been enjoying it, figured I was about halfway through or so but last night I beat it.  Surprised how short it was, I genuinely had no idea I was so close to the end of the main quest.  I did some of the side quests as they popped up, freed a couple of dragons, etc.  Presumably there’s a lot more I could do, I was just surprised that there’s a map room with like eight locations and I only ever traveled to three of them or something.  All in all I had fun playing it, not sure I have any interest in playing it more now though, will likely move on to one of the other games. 

One observation is that I think I’ve been spoiled by Breath of the Wild, which I loved.  In particular, the fact that you can go practically anywhere in the world seems to have ruined other pseudo-open world games for me.  Every single time in God of War I was unable to climb over a pile of rocks that only went up to my ankles was a frustrating moment in the game.  The fact that I could only climb up walls with weird runic markings on them is such an arbitrary construct, it constantly took me out of the experience and made me feel like I was just going along for the ride rather than doing any meaningful exploring on my own. 

I did enjoy it though.  Probably going to start Horizon Zero Dawn next.  Curious if anyone has recommendations for similar games (anything’s on the table as it’s safe to assume I haven’t played it yet). 

try to beat all the Valkyries in god of war including the queen.  good luck.  also play it on give me god of war for a real challenge

1 hour ago, need2know said:

try to beat all the Valkyries in god of war including the queen.  good luck.  also play it on give me god of war for a real challenge

Appreciate the response though I should add that I mostly play games on easier settings, partly because I'm not very good at them but mostly because I'm interested more in the experience than the challenge.  I have limited time for gaming, and don't really want to replay the same scene a dozen times before I beat it, I just don't get much satisfaction out of that, even though I realize that's part of the appeal for many (most?) gamers. 

• Like 2
On 4/30/2020 at 3:41 AM, msommer said:

A few of the hordes are very large

I'm about to find out. All the hordes appeared on my map and the only other mission I have is the sawmill. So whether I want to or not, I am fighting hordes.

6 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I'm about to find out. All the hordes appeared on my map and the only other mission I have is the sawmill. So whether I want to or not, I am fighting hordes.

Daylight (sunny) is best. See if there is a possible stealth approach. Plan your escape route, prepare traps if possible (remember not too close to each other or you might kill yuourself). Park where you can get at your bike easily after the horde loses interest. Pick off stragglers when they move back to the nest (sometimes this makes the horde come running so be careful), Silencers are handy in this situation. Ammo, ammo, ammo. Loadout, loadout, loadout.

GL

On 4/30/2020 at 1:42 PM, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Never played Horizon, but FWIW, Last of Us is my favorite game of all time (also loved God of War and Breath of the Wild). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, msommer said:

GL

Actually, I never even armed a silencer. It actually didn't even seem the challenging. I basically just:

Parked my bike at the far end of the tunnel. Planted a few proximity mines, one maybe half way thru the tunnel, the other at the mouth nearest the horde. Climbed up on the train car, lobbed distractor. Once they gathered around it, lobbed one or two napalms or molotovs. High-tailed it down the tunnel, stopping to empty a Tommy Gun clip in to them here and there. When out of ammo, jump on bike and ride away. Reload from saddle bag, rinse, repeat. Returned once to Iron Mike's to resupply. Returned and finished horde easily.

Honestly, the fact you can leave, resupply and return without losing progress seems "cheesy."  But I am so glad you can. Not a huge fan of missions that I struggle and have to replay ten times to complete (like when you kill the first Reacher and then have to escape a horde while finding your way out of a dark cave complex). I figure people that want to complete it without the "cheese" can, and those like me that couldn't care less about it can use it. So I appreciate the design decision.

Mlb the show 20 is the best baseball game I've ever played and I've played them all. They fixed every little thing I didn't like about the game and I can actually hit FINALLY!

Edited by jobarules
  • Like 4
On 4/30/2020 at 1:42 PM, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Weird it took me a long time to finish GoW. Anyway, between GoW, HZD, and the Last of Us you listed my 3 favorite games of all time. 

Also I thought Breath of the Wild was completely overrated and boring. 

8 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Actually, I never even armed a silencer. It actually didn't even seem the challenging. I basically just:

Hide contents

Parked my bike at the far end of the tunnel. Planted a few proximity mines, one maybe half way thru the tunnel, the other at the mouth nearest the horde. Climbed up on the train car, lobbed distractor. Once they gathered around it, lobbed one or two napalms or molotovs. High-tailed it down the tunnel, stopping to empty a Tommy Gun clip in to them here and there. When out of ammo, jump on bike and ride away. Reload from saddle bag, rinse, repeat. Returned once to Iron Mike's to resupply. Returned and finished horde easily.

Honestly, the fact you can leave, resupply and return without losing progress seems "cheesy."  But I am so glad you can. Not a huge fan of missions that I struggle and have to replay ten times to complete (like when you kill the first Reacher and then have to escape a horde while finding your way out of a dark cave complex). I figure people that want to complete it without the "cheese" can, and those like me that couldn't care less about it can use it. So I appreciate the design decision.

As they grow in size the sheer mass of their number adds to the difficulty. Still there is something to the "eating the elephant one bite at a time" approach.

Think I know the horde you are refering to, down from the high way, next to a Nero checkpoint? If so, I always retreated to the bridge in front of the Nero checkpoint because it made a very nice chokepoint and my RPD bullets would just penetrate the hell out of those suckers as they were climbing over the side

On 4/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

The fact that I could only climb up walls with weird runic markings on them is such an arbitrary construct, it constantly took me out of the experience and made me feel like I was just going along for the ride rather than doing any meaningful exploring on my own. 

Being able to climb up anything and also jump off of anything without dieing is one of the reasons I enjoyed Assassins Crede Odyssey 

3 hours ago, msommer said:

As they grow in size the sheer mass of their number adds to the difficulty. Still there is something to the "eating the elephant one bite at a time" approach.

Reveal hidden contents

Think I know the horde you are refering to, down from the high way, next to a Nero checkpoint? If so, I always retreated to the bridge in front of the Nero checkpoint because it made a very nice chokepoint and my RPD bullets would just penetrate the hell out of those suckers as they were climbing over the side

Sawmill mission.

The first horde mission that was required, where you earn the Napalm recipe, I remember there was a bridge with a huge hole in the middle, meaning the horde we really get funneled down the side, very constricted. I loved that choke point. Those funnel locations seem to be the key to any horde fight.

36 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Sawmill mission.

The first horde mission that was required, where you earn the Napalm recipe, I remember there was a bridge with a huge hole in the middle, meaning the horde we really get funneled down the side, very constricted. I loved that choke point. Those funnel locations seem to be the key to any horde fight.

And remembering to park your bike facing away ;) 

10 hours ago, belljr said:

Yeah God of War took a while....are you sure you finished?

I just read only doing the main mission is like 20-25 hours

:oldunsure:

Scattered the ashes on top of the peak and the credits rolled.  :shrug:  I enjoyed it, just had no idea I was that close to the end. 

3 hours ago, Mile High said:

Being able to climb up anything and also jump off of anything without dieing is one of the reasons I enjoyed Assassins Crede Odyssey 

Cool I'll check this out too.  Anything less than that almost complete freedom feels like a letdown after putting so many hours into BOTW. 

Finished the main game. Did pretty well on the last mission except I could not figure out WTH I was supposed to do with Rizzo.

I had the NERO guy reveal the last(?) convo scene, giving me the paint scheme. But the mission page still shows me only 92% complete. Can't imagine there's any more. Other than that, only two things are not 100%, Hordes (which won't be. I did a few but there's TWENTY FIVE to go, screw that), and Ambush Camps, which I was shocked to see at only 71%. I don't have any unexplored areas of the map, so I don't get how that works. I am certainly not interested in driving around a fully explored map for hours trying to trigger those. So I guess I'm as done as I am gonna get.

Next up, one of: Metros Exodus, GOW or Borderlands 3.

Oh, edit to add: I don't get the knocks on Days Gone. Seemed like a pretty cool game. I have no complaints.

Edited by DallasDMac
20 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Finished the main game. Did pretty well on the last mission except I could not figure out WTH I was supposed to do with Rizzo.

I had the NERO guy reveal the last(?) convo scene, giving me the paint scheme. But the mission page still shows me only 92% complete. Can't imagine there's any more. Other than that, only two things are not 100%, Hordes (which won't be. I did a few but there's TWENTY FIVE to go, screw that), and Ambush Camps, which I was shocked to see at only 71%. I don't have any unexplored areas of the map, so I don't get how that works. I am certainly not interested in driving around a fully explored map for hours trying to trigger those. So I guess I'm as done as I am gonna get.

Next up, one of: Metros Exodus, GOW or Borderlands 3.

Oh, edit to add: I don't get the knocks on Days Gone. Seemed like a pretty cool game. I have no complaints.

Yep i thoroughly enjoyed Days Gone

AC Vahalla looks amazing. There have been rumors of a Viking game from AC ever since Black Flag. Finally brought back the homestead part where all missions start and end at your home "base". The Ship is mostly fast travel too Customize everything from your crew to yourself and your tats and Weapons. Best part of Weapons is you can keep the same ones from the start if you feel sentimental about a certain weapon. You can now Dual Shields as well. Very cool

SO I downloaded PES2020. I got to say from a Graphics and Master League standpoint they have it the best. Now if some company could come in get the Licenses to all these leagues, have PES "career Mode" and Graphics and Fifa Gameplay its the best soccer game ever. I still like Fifa but some of the details in Master League (career Mode) is stuff I've wanted in FIFA for yrs. Love the training aspects and youth sector set up. Negotiations seem pretty straight forward. Gameplay the controls feel too stiff. I'm playing on the second easiest level as the normal mode in this game is really hard and I've yet to master the controls like I have FIFA. Only issue is the difficulty level goes from like Almost Allstar like on Normal to the next lowest seems way too Easy. Dynamic Weather is amazing and I love how the game match wise the commentators actually talk about the overall season and your results from the last match and all. The stats in the game are also pretty advanced compared to FIFA has. Love the customization as well aspects. Still need to figure out mods and stuff. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, ren hoek said:

I picked up Factorio a couple nights ago.  It’s awesome.  I think I’ve played for about 12 hours already.  “If you have no life or are prepared to not have one for a few weeks, it´s a great game.”

Son convinced me to pick this up. It is totally addicting. Have both a solo game and an MP game we are playing together. There have been a few moments that have been pause the game 'cause we are laughing entirely too hard to even attempt to breathe. Generally involving getting too close to a high speed train... It has been a ball. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people probably aren’t thrilled about this month’s PS+ offerings, but my daughter used to watch hours and hours and hours of Farming Simulator when she was younger. She’s in 5th grade now and still loves heavy equipment, so she’s pretty excited that Farming Simulator 19 is free.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, jobarules said:

Mlb the show 20 is the best baseball game I've ever played and I've played them all. They fixed every little thing I didn't like about the game and I can actually hit FINALLY!

I'm loving this game as well, and I agree about finally being able to hit.

@Todem Since you are the resident expert on sports games. I can never get into dynasty modes or anything like that, I just have no appetite for front office stuff in video games. Is there a season mode where I can just play out the 2020 season with a particular team? I guess I could start up a dynasty and then quit after the first year, but I don't want to have to do any of the FO stuff, I just want to play/manage the games. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Moe. said:

@Todem Since you are the resident expert on sports games. I can never get into dynasty modes or anything like that, I just have no appetite for front office stuff in video games. Is there a season mode where I can just play out the 2020 season with a particular team? I guess I could start up a dynasty and then quit after the first year, but I don't want to have to do any of the FO stuff, I just want to play/manage the games. 

When you set up your profile simply set all the front office and GM stuff to auto. You can let the CPU do all your call ups, send downs, scouting, contracts, free agents, draft whatever you do not want to do simply set it to auto. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/1/2020 at 10:18 PM, jobarules said:

Good to hear. I was planning on picking up this years game, but with no actual baseball being played currently the desire hasn't been there.

1 hour ago, Moe. said:

You can set all the front office stuff to auto and have the computer do it. Just keep stuff like Line up and pitching rotations manual and if you want to call up certain player if you put a guy on the injured list to manual as well during dynasty mode 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Is MLB the Show avail on both PS and Xbox?

Its been awhile since I had either system, but I recall the best baseball game was on PS when I had an XBOX360.  

MLBTS 20 is only on PS4.  Starting in 2021 it will be multi-platform.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Poke_4_Life said:

MLBTS 20 is only on PS4.  Starting in 2021 it will be multi-platform.  

I might never buy another PlayStation when this happens..  I'd need to go through other exclusives

21 minutes ago, The Tick said:

Seeing reports of a Mass Effect Trilogy HD remaster coming before April 2021.  Not sure how much it would improve the later games, but I'd probably still buy this right away...

For me, it would have to improve combat mechanics a bit (cover, etc.) I tried to revisit Mass Effect 2 again, and had to quit right around after I found Garris - combat just wasn't that much fun. I've been spoiled by more modern control schemes/combat mechanics. 

1 hour ago, The Tick said:

Seeing reports of a Mass Effect Trilogy HD remaster coming before April 2021.  Not sure how much it would improve the later games, but I'd probably still buy this right away...

Even ME3 is 8 years old. I’d love to do another run through of the series with next gen graphics. Modernizing some of the gameplay quirks of ME1 would also make that one a lot more accessible. 

1 hour ago, jwb said:

For me, it would have to improve combat mechanics a bit (cover, etc.) I tried to revisit Mass Effect 2 again, and had to quit right around after I found Garris - combat just wasn't that much fun. I've been spoiled by more modern control schemes/combat mechanics. 

I actually loved the combat in Mass Effect -- it was a cool blend of real-time and turn-based gameplay that really connected with me.  I'd pick this up for sure.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Even ME3 is 8 years old. I’d love to do another run through of the series with next gen graphics. Modernizing some of the gameplay quirks of ME1 would also make that one a lot more accessible. 

I got all the ME games in a package, but I just couldn't get past what I would call "playability" controls in ME1.  I've heard the storylines are epic, may give it a whirl again sometime.