What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (5 Viewers)

You can get the game but under no circumstances should you base it on pre-release reviews.

They've only released the game to outlets that they have allowed so far and pretty much all of them have a perfect score. Nothing suspicious at all there. Gaming "Journalism" is just an advertising branch of these companies now. 
Unfortunately, I have to agree with this.  There are certain games that are going to get sky-high reviews no matter what, and this is one of them.  I learned this lesson the hard way with GTA IV.  Not that that game sucked or anything, but the reviews all made it out to be an all-time classic, and it's still one of the highest rated games of the PS360 era.  It was okay, but definitely kind of meh.  (Uncharted 4 is a more recent example.  10s across the board, but I actively disliked that game and had to force myself to finish it.)

Based on the stuff that's leaked out, I imagine TLOU2 is likely to be a very divisive title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with that also but there is zero chance idont get this game.

I might wait for it to come down but I'm still getting it

You can get the game but under no circumstances should you base it on pre-release reviews.

They've only released the game to outlets that they have allowed so far and pretty much all of them have a perfect score. Nothing suspicious at all there. Gaming "Journalism" is just an advertising branch of these companies now. 
They had a couple guys review it on a podcast I listen to and trust (Giant Beastcast, from GiantBomb.com). Basically said it was technically impressive but that it had a super heavy and depressing story and was a bit of a tough recommend on that basis. 

They had a couple guys review it on a podcast I listen to and trust (Giant Beastcast, from GiantBomb.com). Basically said it was technically impressive but that it had a super heavy and depressing story and was a bit of a tough recommend on that basis. 
I'm waiting for the YouTubers I trust as well (Angry Joe, etc). I know they won't bull#### if it's good or not. 

I grabbed Days Gone while it was on sale. Downloading now

I am really starting to dig Spiderman. There is some really cool stuff going on in that game.

Finally into the Epilogue on RDR2, so I'd assume I don't have much longer. I'll need something new after that, or I could start on my Borderlands set (finished the original, have the later editions in my library). Is there anything out there that's a must-play? I've finished Skyrim and the Fallout series (actually, never started Fallout 76, it's still in the wrapper). I know that Days Gone By/Last of Us/Uncharted are PS titles that I can't play, but have heard great things about them. Is there anything similar for the XB1?

What type of games does your wife like?

Fire emblem three kingdoms is a more in-depth female targeted game.
She's usually into platformers but has really taken a liking to Animal Crossing so who knows lol. I'll look into that one though, she might enjoy that one. 

I was able to score another switch last night so now they each have their own lol. 

More of the Last of Us 2 is released and oof. Be prepared there is a full on sex scene. 

And that's not even the worst part. The director made a character that is basically himself. He self inserted himself into a AAA game. 

And that's not even the worst part. The director made a character that is basically himself. He self inserted himself into a AAA game. 
Wow.  I googled this, and you're right and it's actually even worse than you're making it sound like in the context of one of the character's actions in the game.

Neil Druckman certainly takes himself seriously.

More of the Last of Us 2 is released and oof. Be prepared there is a full on sex scene. 
Never understood why games had to do this. From Mass Effect to the Witcher games to this. Not a prude at all, but I could do without this in my games. 

Never understood why games had to do this. From Mass Effect to the Witcher games to this. Not a prude at all, but I could do without this in my games. 
Mass Effect at least makes sense as an option for your character. You can completely skip it no matter your choices to that point. 

This scene is unskippable. 

Finally into the Epilogue on RDR2, so I'd assume I don't have much longer. I'll need something new after that, or I could start on my Borderlands set (finished the original, have the later editions in my library). Is there anything out there that's a must-play? I've finished Skyrim and the Fallout series (actually, never started Fallout 76, it's still in the wrapper). I know that Days Gone By/Last of Us/Uncharted are PS titles that I can't play, but have heard great things about them. Is there anything similar for the XB1?
You may have longer to go then you expect, but when you do finish I think Borderlands 2 is the perfect place to go after RDR2 if you haven't played it. It's the best game in the Borderlands series and the fast paced pulp action is perfect after the serious RDR2. I'd go blow #### up and have fun the next couple weeks. I laughed my ### off playing that game.

Mass Effect at least makes sense as an option for your character. You can completely skip it no matter your choices to that point. 

This scene is unskippable. 
Some of the Witcher games handle it dumb, but it actually "fits" the character. In the Witcher books his sexual exploits are pretty significant part of the character.

man finally got around to re3 remake.  wow that is short
I enjoyed it, but it makes me nervous about the rumored RE4 remake.  The original is a pretty long game with a ton of iconic sequences.  It would be a shame if they cut it down very much.  (I could do without parts of the third act, admittedly).

I enjoyed it, but it makes me nervous about the rumored RE4 remake.  The original is a pretty long game with a ton of iconic sequences.  It would be a shame if they cut it down very much.  (I could do without parts of the third act, admittedly).
Agree.  Re4 is one of my fav games.  I still play it.   

IvanKaramazov said:
Wow.  I googled this, and you're right and it's actually even worse than you're making it sound like in the context of one of the character's actions in the game.

Neil Druckman certainly takes himself seriously.
Sex in a game that’s supposed to be like an interactive movie? But... there are NEVER sex scenes in movies! You’ll definitely never have one in an Oscar-winning movie. Sex isn’t something that happens as a part of real life, so there’s just no place for it in a story that you want to make feel real.

People kissing and touching one another... 🤮 I’m getting sick just imagining it....

Sex in a game that’s supposed to be like an interactive movie? But... there are NEVER sex scenes in movies! You’ll definitely never have one in an Oscar-winning movie. Sex isn’t something that happens as a part of real life, so there’s just no place for it in a story that you want to make feel real.

People kissing and touching one another... 🤮 I’m getting sick just imagining it....
I don't think this character has sex with anybody -- definitely not the scene you're thinking of.  I'll say what I'm getting at behind a spoiler tag.  (Edit: That said, if that character is actually the one in the sex scene that you're referencing, it's severely messed up and kind of disturbing that the director would place himself -- virtually of course -- in that role.  That's pretty messed up.)

The character does spit on another character though, so its literally a case of the director of the game telling us very personally and viscerally how much he hates this character that fans of the original probably grew attached to.

Play it. But Google an image of Neil Druckmann first. Keep that face in my mind when viewing one of the characters. 

To see the face of the man who ruined the franchise as he literally spits on its grave. 
First, you’re assuming the franchise is ruined based on, as far as I can tell, the fact that it has a sex scene that the director put himself in. I’m not reading any of the spoilers, but so far that doesn’t seem devastating to me.

Second, what difference does it make if it’s Druckmann or someone else? It doesn’t sound like your problem with it is his performance but rather the existence of the scene itself. Would it be better if it was Keanu Reeves?

First, you’re assuming the franchise is ruined based on, as far as I can tell, the fact that it has a sex scene that the director put himself in. I’m not reading any of the spoilers, but so far that doesn’t seem devastating to me.

Second, what difference does it make if it’s Druckmann or someone else? It doesn’t sound like your problem with it is his performance but rather the existence of the scene itself. Would it be better if it was Keanu Reeves?
This is a small piece of the bigger whole. Without going into spoilers, they really went out of their way to make the game as miserable an experience for the player as possible. Forcing you to kill dogs and then berating you for it right afterwards. Bait and switching events in the trailer that don't happen in the game. Cliched ending that makes no sense even in context.

This game is a mess and the sex scene the director self inserted himself into is just a perfect metaphor for it all. 

In fairness, what wouldn't be????

Finally got around to GOW. Have to admit, getting sucked in to too many side  missions made it start to get awful boring. But I shifted back to the main story and enjoyed it, though not 10 out of 10 enjoy though. Still, I am doing the little Nilfheim (sp?) run now trying to see if I can upgrade the cool armor there. Having a heck of a time getting the needed Haze Weave. 

Finally got around to GOW. Have to admit, getting sucked in to too many side  missions made it start to get awful boring. But I shifted back to the main story and enjoyed it, though not 10 out of 10 enjoy though. Still, I am doing the little Nilfheim (sp?) run now trying to see if I can upgrade the cool armor there. Having a heck of a time getting the needed Haze Weave. 
Yeah  it's definitely a grind. Great game though

Days Gone- I'm not sure I entirely understand the crafting or the gun safe.

I can craft molotov cocktails, health, arrows. I don't understand why I find so many gears. You can only carry ten and this makes me think I am missing something. There must be a reason I come across these things constantly. What am I supposed to do with them? I do think they are part of the arrows but I can't find any wood to make arrows.

Why are there no guns in the gun safe? Can I assume I will be finding and buying guns in future and this is where I store them?

So far I am really liking this game. The kills are nice!!

Days Gone- I'm not sure I entirely understand the crafting or the gun safe.

I can craft molotov cocktails, health, arrows. I don't understand why I find so many gears. You can only carry ten and this makes me think I am missing something. There must be a reason I come across these things constantly. What am I supposed to do with them? I do think they are part of the arrows but I can't find any wood to make arrows.

Why are there no guns in the gun safe? Can I assume I will be finding and buying guns in future and this is where I store them?

So far I am really liking this game. The kills are nice!!
Purchased weapons will be stored in the safe. Found ones will not.

There are trees that will be "highlighted"  in which you can  strip the saplings for making arrows.

Scrap becomes vital later when repairing melee weapons, your bike, making arrows, bombs, traps....

Purchased weapons will be stored in the safe. Found ones will not.

There are trees that will be "highlighted"  in which you can  strip the saplings for making arrows.

Scrap becomes vital later when repairing melee weapons, your bike, making arrows, bombs, traps....
With the amount of scrap I am finding I feel like I should have been using it by now or I should be able to carry more. I think you can carry 10 of scrap but I have found much more of it.

With the amount of scrap I am finding I feel like I should have been using it by now or I should be able to carry more. I think you can carry 10 of scrap but I have found much more of it.
You can use it to fix the bike, as well as repairing a good melee weapon as they wear out. So if you’ve got a bat with nails or something that you made that is slicing through zombies great, you fix it on the fly before it goes to 0% and get a bunch more use out of it 

There is a perk to increase that if I remember correctly. Later on, you'll probably want it. And remember those scrap locations. I used to have to do scrap runs and it was a PITA because I couldn't find it after I'd pick it up when I only had one spot and end up wasting the other three or four I might have gotten.

Good to hear sounds like it's getting bombed on metacritic by people that likely haven't even bought it. I plan to give it a try at some point.
So far my biggest complaint is how it suckers you into progressing the story. You’ll be exploring and looking to pick up stuff and wander past a point of no return before you have a chance to check everything out.

GOW, amazed myself by doing to the fire realm so I could fully upgrade the mist armor. And obviously I did the mist area. Hadn't planned on doing either but glad I did. Those pure fighting arenas helped me build my skill level a lot. Though I imagine I know what the final battle will be like and all the normal fighting stuff will be out the window. But at least I'll die as a level 9 with some sweet gear on. Oh yea, I did that Gauntlet thing too.

Made it to Iron Mike's camp in Days Gone.  Holy hell that 'Breaker' was a tough battle.  

Like was said above, try to remember where those scraps were.  I still tend to use my melee weapons a lot and they chew up scrap.

Appreciate the response though I should add that I mostly play games on easier settings, partly because I'm not very good at them but mostly because I'm interested more in the experience than the challenge.  I have limited time for gaming, and don't really want to replay the same scene a dozen times before I beat it, I just don't get much satisfaction out of that, even though I realize that's part of the appeal for many (most?) gamers. 
I started playing The Last of Us yesterday.  Not really the kind of game I'd normally be into but it came with the PS4 bundle I got and everyone seems to like it so I figured I'd give it a shot. As an indication of how bad I am at video games, I gave up on it after a few hours because I kept dying on the easiest difficulty.  I'm sure it's great but like I said, not really my genre to begin with and while I like a bit of a challenge, I don't want to spend all afternoon trying to kill the same zombies who keep biting my face off.  :shrug:   

Made it to Iron Mike's camp in Days Gone.  Holy hell that 'Breaker' was a tough battle.  

Like was said above, try to remember where those scraps were.  I still tend to use my melee weapons a lot and they chew up scrap.
You may want to consider just making a new one at times if you have the parts. I thought about it a lot and did it a few times. Not exactly sure which one is more economically sound from a scraps standpoint.

You may want to consider just making a new one at times if you have the parts. I thought about it a lot and did it a few times. Not exactly sure which one is more economically sound from a scraps standpoint.
I just built the baseball bat axe though...  the one with the saw blade.  I'm finally able to get swarmers in two swings.  Took me forever to find a saw blade.

I started playing The Last of Us yesterday.  Not really the kind of game I'd normally be into but it came with the PS4 bundle I got and everyone seems to like it so I figured I'd give it a shot. As an indication of how bad I am at video games, I gave up on it after a few hours because I kept dying on the easiest difficulty.  I'm sure it's great but like I said, not really my genre to begin with and while I like a bit of a challenge, I don't want to spend all afternoon trying to kill the same zombies who keep biting my face off.  :shrug:   
Based on what you replied to, I can say that I am exactly the same way.  I started playing Last of Us because it came with my PS4 and didn't make it past the dark office building or whatever it was on the easiest setting.  I just didn't play for a while.  Then when I finally picked it back up after someone told me to press forward, I did and ended up finishing that game and I am really glad I did.  Its really a good game, and that is coming from someone who has finished maybe 2 games (Last of Us and Final Fantasy X) in the past 20 years.  Its worth pushing past if you can figure it out.  I tend to get help online if I get stuck because like you, I don't enjoy being frustrated.  It was also not my type of game, but it surpasses the genre, imo, to be a great game.

Users who are viewing this thread