What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (6 Viewers)

Deleted Cold War and will reinstall. Read that since they didn’t use smart delivery sometimes the Xbox One version was installed instead of the X/S version.

Can anyone recommend a decent ($100 or less) set of wireless headphones for Pc gaming

my 11 year old has a habit of somehow yanking the cord out and breaking the connector, so figured I will try a wireless set for him

amazon reviews all seem mixed so figured I’d reach out here

dont want anything too pricey since I’m sure he still won’t take the best care of them, but don’t want junk either 

So, I am a weekend warrior only (no time to touch gaming during the workweek). This was my second weekend with Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and I hate to say this but, I'm already bored with it. I'm surprised because it is my first AC game and I thought I would really dig a new franchise. But after a lot of other fighting type games recently, Day's Gone, GOW, Far Cry, it really just seems like more of the same. I guess I need to step away from the "usual" and find something truly different to break up the monotony.

Looking for an inexpensive but solid headset for the Switch and wireless controller. My understanding is no bluetooth so you have to plug in the controller to use the headset that is plugged into the controller? Also see there are bluetooth add-ons you can buy? Or maybe a wireless controller with a headset with a really long cord to plug into the switch and base? Any recommendations for a good set up?

Will the new systems look better during online / match making game types?  I missed the last gen of consoles, but it use to be only the cut scenes used the full power of the systems graphics.  The reason I ask is because I will primarily play shooters online, so if there isn't much of a graphics/ frame rate boost in online play, then I might as well get the Xbox one s since it plays the new games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the new systems look better during online / match making game types?  I missed the last gen of consoles, but it use to be only the cut scenes used the full power of the systems graphics.  The reason I ask is because I will primarily play shooters online, so if there isn't much of a graphics/ frame rate boost in online play, then I might as well get the Xbox one s since it plays the new games.
Yes, it does help. Also you’ll want the Xbox Series S which is the new one (not the One S!). The new controller in the Series S/X have reduced latency as well which also lends well to response times in shooters. 

I haven't posted for a while as I was off work the last several days.

Tried to get a PS5 on launch night and all the launch day to no avail.  Was very close a few times at Wal-Mart.  Oh well.  

Tried to get a PS5 on launch night and all the launch day to no avail.  Was very close a few times at Wal-Mart.  Oh well.  
Same here.  I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting a PS5 until sometime after Christmas.  That sucks since this is a great time to stay home and play video games, but oh well.  At least I can look forward to a modest backlog of games when I finally land a new console.

Same here.  I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting a PS5 until sometime after Christmas.  That sucks since this is a great time to stay home and play video games, but oh well.  At least I can look forward to a modest backlog of games when I finally land a new console.
I'm still hopeful of getting one before Christmas, as I usually take a week or two off work around Christmas as well and that's one of my favorite times to play games.  

We will see.  

It's been a little crazy for me. Wife/son have been on a crusade because all of his friends purchased during the early period - and this was the crew he's been socializing with during covid, who are now moved to a new system. Seems like every day he sees a twitter report of Sony opening up new inventory at X PM via their website, and then time wasted when it doesn't actually happen. I'll be tracking this thread in case anyone posts credible info. 

So, I am a weekend warrior only (no time to touch gaming during the workweek). This was my second weekend with Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and I hate to say this but, I'm already bored with it. I'm surprised because it is my first AC game and I thought I would really dig a new franchise. But after a lot of other fighting type games recently, Day's Gone, GOW, Far Cry, it really just seems like more of the same. I guess I need to step away from the "usual" and find something truly different to break up the monotony.
Not that you want to drop another 60 on a new game but AC Valhalla is almost as wow inducing as AC II was when I first got into the franchise.

It's a shame that there were never any college sports games for this generation of consoles.  Now that things seem to be clearer and the players can get money for use of their name/likeness, I hope they can figure something out for at least football and basketball.  Everyone can make some money on this, even though it will obviously be split differently than before. 

It's a shame that there were never any college sports games for this generation of consoles.  Now that things seem to be clearer and the players can get money for use of their name/likeness, I hope they can figure something out for at least football and basketball.  Everyone can make some money on this, even though it will obviously be split differently than before. 
While I'm sure the paying of players (or rather, not) was a factor in the games going away, the unfortunate reality was that despite their quality, they just didn't sell that well.  They usually released right around the same time as their pro counterparts (which cannibalized sales) and the casual fan would always prefer being able to play with "their guys" rather than faceless "college players". (even though they were modeled on the actual rosters and could be edited)

The last college basketball game (EA, 2010) only sold 155K copies. That's nothing. I'm sure 2k8 (obviously a far superior game) did better, but not nearly enough to make it worth their while when they can just put more resources into NBA2K (which makes them stupid amounts of money)

Add in the fact that micro-transactions from Ultimate Team are the main revenue driver on sports games and I just dont see college games coming back.

Despite its flaws, College Hoops 2k8 is probably my favorite game of all time. (certainly my favorite sports game)   I've tried to go back and play it a couple of times over the years, but its just too dated for me now.  (the insane skill curve in 2K now is more than my fully employed 37 year old self wants to deal with, but the game play of 2k8 is overly simplistic now) It would be freaking awesome if they re-made it on the current 2K engine (and just tweaked some of the stuff that was wrong with recruiting and player development) but that's a pipe dream.

While I'm sure the paying of players (or rather, not) was a factor in the games going away, the unfortunate reality was that despite their quality, they just didn't sell that well.  They usually released right around the same time as their pro counterparts (which cannibalized sales) and the casual fan would always prefer being able to play with "their guys" rather than faceless "college players". (even though they were modeled on the actual rosters and could be edited)

The last college basketball game (EA, 2010) only sold 155K copies. That's nothing. I'm sure 2k8 (obviously a far superior game) did better, but not nearly enough to make it worth their while when they can just put more resources into NBA2K (which makes them stupid amounts of money)

Add in the fact that micro-transactions from Ultimate Team are the main revenue driver on sports games and I just dont see college games coming back.

Despite its flaws, College Hoops 2k8 is probably my favorite game of all time. (certainly my favorite sports game)   I've tried to go back and play it a couple of times over the years, but its just too dated for me now.  (the insane skill curve in 2K now is more than my fully employed 37 year old self wants to deal with, but the game play of 2k8 is overly simplistic now) It would be freaking awesome if they re-made it on the current 2K engine (and just tweaked some of the stuff that was wrong with recruiting and player development) but that's a pipe dream.
This seems prime for a college game.  Take the people that pay money for the Ultimate team cards, and add in the whole history of college gaming?  College would have more players to pull from than the pros.  The great college players that never did anything in the pros but are legends to college fans would pull in money.

This seems prime for a college game.  Take the people that pay money for the Ultimate team cards, and add in the whole history of college gaming?  College would have more players to pull from than the pros.  The great college players that never did anything in the pros but are legends to college fans would pull in money.
Yeah good point.  I guess I was just focused on monetizing for current players but you're right. An ultimate team mode full of college legend type cards would probably do really well.

With not much else to do right now, I decided to do another run through Bloodborne and ended up essentially re-platinuming the game.  I skipped the optional boss in Cainhurst and accidentally failed to trigger the "secret" final boss (who's a pushover anyway), but otherwise I killed everything that needed killing and did the whole chalice dungeon grind again, which is definitely way harder than anything in the main game.  This was my first time trying an arcane build, and it was really a lot of fun melting bosses.  The first time I played this game, I'm pretty sure I died to Watchdog of the Old Lords at least two dozen times before finally eking out a win -- this time I didn't even equip a weapon or take any damage against him.  Not all bosses were quite that trivial, but it's kind of surprising how many can be beaten just by spamming one or two spells.

The only real drawback to an arcane build is that you really do have to spend some time in the chalice dungeons to farm gems for your weapons.  You need to be able to deal fire or bolt damage to get any kind of decent weapon scaling, and the gems you need for that are locked away in the chalices, but it's not too bad when the bosses are all just speedbumps.  

Not that you want to drop another 60 on a new game but AC Valhalla is almost as wow inducing as AC II was when I first got into the franchise.
I can count on one hand the number of games I have paid full price for. I'm more likely to go Outer Planets or something like that.

Greedo said:
Yes, it does help. Also you’ll want the Xbox Series S which is the new one (not the One S!). The new controller in the Series S/X have reduced latency as well which also lends well to response times in shooters. 
Agreed. The movement/response time on the new controller is definitely noticed.

Enter the Gungeon

Slay the Spire

Two fun rogue likes with high replay value.  Former is an isometric twin stick shooter with (S)NES asthetic, latter is a deck builder like Hearthstone.  Really enjoying both.  

I just dont sense any hype at all about COD: Cold War. Graphics look meh, its only releasing with 8 maps (that's freaking sad, considering how small COD maps are) and the videos I've seen make the gun play/movement look way clunkier than Modern Warfare.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that will buy it because its the latest thing (and because some of the content might be good for warzone) but I certainly wont be one of them.

Unless they basically set it up so non-buyers will be in a disadvantage for warzone, (either you need it to access a new map or some overpowered gun that they put in)  I gotta think its going to do pretty poorly.
I might pick it up at some point when the price drops. I only play COD anymore for the story mode. I still miss the WW2 games but it's nice they went to Cold War though. Story looks interesting. 

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Just read that they expect Xbox shortages into April.
Not surprising especially with COVID and positive cases rise so production is down all around. Wouldn't be shocked if both systems are shortage into summer. 

Any Valhalla impressions so far? 
Might be my favorite one yet. 
I like it a lot too. They kept almost everything they introduced in the last two games, and added back in the "build your village" aspect. The story is much better than the last two games as well - it's more Ezio-style story driven. They've also improved combat - if you want to be a dual-axe-wielding Viking and forget the stealth stuff, you can.  But the stealth stuff works well too (and in a nice move, you can turn on an option so a stealth kill can kill anyone - I always felt it was cheap that you couldn't stealth kill tougher enemies.)

The only part of the game that I don't like is the healing - they kind of took a step backwards. You don't regen health over time - the only way to heal is to gather plants to make healing potions, and you can only carry X number at a time (only one to start, and it takes awhile to upgrade your capacity here). From one battle to the next, your health bar doesn't move, so you need to remember to "heal, then refill your meager health bag" after every battle. It's a little tedious, but that's my only complaint after a dozen hours or so. 

I like it a lot too. They kept almost everything they introduced in the last two games, and added back in the "build your village" aspect. The story is much better than the last two games as well - it's more Ezio-style story driven. They've also improved combat - if you want to be a dual-axe-wielding Viking and forget the stealth stuff, you can.  But the stealth stuff works well too (and in a nice move, you can turn on an option so a stealth kill can kill anyone - I always felt it was cheap that you couldn't stealth kill tougher enemies.)

The only part of the game that I don't like is the healing - they kind of took a step backwards. You don't regen health over time - the only way to heal is to gather plants to make healing potions, and you can only carry X number at a time (only one to start, and it takes awhile to upgrade your capacity here). From one battle to the next, your health bar doesn't move, so you need to remember to "heal, then refill your meager health bag" after every battle. It's a little tedious, but that's my only complaint after a dozen hours or so. 
The health thing is one of those new RPG elements that I love about it. It's soooo easy to find ways to heal yourself, plants are everywhere. Kill some animals, villages have stuff cooking all over.

This, to me, feels more like a AC RPG game than any of the others while keeping the AC spirit in the game. I actually do the dual wield axe but kill from the shadows a ton. I also love the Order aspect of it, feels kind of like how you have to get intel on the boss guys in Shadow of Mordor.

The health thing is one of those new RPG elements that I love about it. It's soooo easy to find ways to heal yourself, plants are everywhere. Kill some animals, villages have stuff cooking all over.

This, to me, feels more like a AC RPG game than any of the others while keeping the AC spirit in the game. I actually do the dual wield axe but kill from the shadows a ton. I also love the Order aspect of it, feels kind of like how you have to get intel on the boss guys in Shadow of Mordor.
Yes, they did make plants easy to find and such.

The lack of easy healing does make me more mindful in combat, so I understand (and even like) that aspect of it. But having your health regen after combat (even slowly) would take away some of the tediousness of it. 

I do see a bloodborne style "hit them after being hit" health regen power in a skill tree. Time to move towards that!  

Yep. 

Would have been pretty awesome if they added the reputation system on as another layer. 

New PS5 setup and Spider-Man downloading. Is Fall Guys still worth buying?
Fall Guys is totally worth it IMO. It depends I guess, if you have any younger kids, definitely a gold mine. And for adults, it's surprisingly competitive. It really scratches my itch for competition. I've kind of moved on from 4 and a half years of playing Rocket League for my competitive urge. And Fall Guys has actually picked up the slack very well. And it's just a fun, goofy game. I know all my friends have said as well, you can still find ways to have a good time even if you're not winning. And there's no time commitment to it. You're in and out of a full 5 round knockout styled match in about 10-12 minutes.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Just read that they expect Xbox shortages into April.
I’m happy to walk into the Microsoft store in Manhattan 5th Ave for anyone that wants one. I’d be stunned if there aren’t a few on the shelf there. 

I’m next in on Friday. 

Enter the Gungeon

Slay the Spire

Two fun rogue likes with high replay value.  Former is an isometric twin stick shooter with (S)NES asthetic, latter is a deck builder like Hearthstone.  Really enjoying both.  
Just finished another round of StS.  Amazing mods available in the workshop.  Crazy high replayability.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/walmart-will-be-selling-playstation-5-and-xbox-series-x-s-consoles-this-thursday/

I am going to try and login at 3 today to see if I can get the series s.  I know it's the "old" one but I don't have a 4k tv yet, and i don't really see the point in getting the series x yet.  I will run some split screen with my son until we get serious and each need our own console.
Tried for the heck of it, got a PS5 into my cart but then just a whole bunch of error messages over and over until it finally said out of stock again.

Tried for the heck of it, got a PS5 into my cart but then just a whole bunch of error messages over and over until it finally said out of stock again.
Ditto this. I don't think in your cart means what they think it means. 10 errors at each step up final step confirming mail address and then 'poof!'

We got the XBox Series X for the kids for Christmas. I'm having a hard time finding games that I can purchase and wrap up to give to them that are not mature. Right now I'm leaning towards printing a golden ticket or something for each of the boys that says they each get to download a game on Christmas morning. I would rather have them open something up, but the only games I can find are just XBox 1 games that will work in the Series X. Maybe it is better this way so dumb ol' dad doesn't pick a lame game. 

Oh, and the trick to getting one of the consoles was to log into the Target App and choose your store and opt for in store pick up. Don't go through the website or even the general app. It needs to be your local store. We got one but weren't sure it worked because we hadn't gotten a alert that the order was processed so my wife picked a different store and got a second one. The next morning we got alerts to go pick up our XBox at each store. The second one sold for $880 on Ebay in 42 minutes. 

Users who are viewing this thread