What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

Video game people can you help a dad who stopped playing video games get my autistic son started on games like mine craft and some kind if dancing game?  I own a ps4 and won a Nintendo switch but have barely used it, I don't know how to play or download anything anymore because last time I gave two shots about video games you bought them at a gamestop and complained about the resale value 

I mostly want to help a kid who is in serious need of social development become acceptably cool if he has a playdate when this #### ends, and maybe learn how to play games online with a headset vs other kids or do something on his own that spans multiple sessions like mine craft or get some evercise

Wiling to spend whatever but don't know what to spend it on 

Video game people can you help a dad who stopped playing video games get my autistic son started on games like mine craft and some kind if dancing game?  I own a ps4 and won a Nintendo switch but have barely used it, I don't know how to play or download anything anymore because last time I gave two shots about video games you bought them at a gamestop and complained about the resale value 

I mostly want to help a kid who is in serious need of social development become acceptably cool if he has a playdate when this #### ends, and maybe learn how to play games online with a headset vs other kids or do something on his own that spans multiple sessions like mine craft or get some evercise

Minecraft (PS4 or Switch)

Fortnite (Any system)

Fall Guys (PS4)

Among Us (soon to be on Switch)

Minecraft is more laid back and great for both single person and cooperative play.

Fortnite is more intense but also great for both single player (go it alone against 99 others) or playing in a squad of 4. Tons of kids especially still play this.

Fall Guys is new but a ton of fun. Again, it’s a 1 versus 59 others game, but you essentially play a bunch of mini games where a certain number of people get eliminated each round until 1 is left standing. You can “team up” with up to 3 others, but it’s still really just every man for himself. Games are quick and the game can be pretty easily picked up quickly by most. Lots of randomness though which can lead to frustration.

Among Us is hugely popular but just available on PC and Android right now, but coming to Switch soon. It’s basically like a version of the game Werewolf or Mafia. A group of players are on a spaceship with a number of tasks to accomplish each round to survive, only a certain number of them are imposters who try to kill off the players. After each round everyone can try convincing the others who the imposters are and whoever gets the most votes gets tossed out of the space ship. So lots of social interaction with possibly some sophisticated social dialogue going on.

ETA: the easiest way to buy the games is through each system’s built in online store. To play multiplayer online though, both the PS4 and Switch require you to purchase PS Plus for PlayStation or Nintendo Switch Online for the Switch. But then Fortnite and Fall Guys are actually free.

Last edited by a moderator:

How old is he? I could maybe be more help than most here as I have Aspergers. You can DM privately if you want to on this too. 

Age is gonna be important here. Also what does he have interests in? 

Sports there are a ton

Is he into 1v1 battle fight games? Street Fighter and games like that could be a way to go

Is he into adventure games and RPG style games? Ton there

Fortnite is a big game for online

It depends on what kind of games you want him to be into as well. COD and Battlefield are popular online games with social interaction amongst a lot of people. I'm not huge on COD as many are there fr multiple player and Zombies and I'm not a Zombies guy. I'm more into your werewolf/Vampire type. 

Madden is good for online and with friends. nd if he's into Hockey NHL21 is great with a few game modes. If he's into Soccer FIFA 21 is great for Online. 

A lot of ways you can go on this one. Also you can go to a Best Buy or Gamestop and talk to a consultant there about the games as well. They may try and make you buy stuff right then and there but you can always tell them you are looking for ideas and not ready to buy anything that day. You just want to get a head start on this. 

PSA: Also I'm pretty sociable but when it comes to gaming I'm not much of playing with friends online type. Have 2-3 buddies every now and again I'll play with but my video game time is for ME TIME and get away from everything to be by myself. 

How old is he? I could maybe be more help than most here as I have Aspergers. You can DM privately if you want to on this too. 

Age is gonna be important here. Also what does he have interests in? 

Sports there are a ton

Is he into 1v1 battle fight games? Street Fighter and games like that could be a way to go

Is he into adventure games and RPG style games? 
Hes 9 but socially he's probably more like a 5 or 6 year old. He sucks at tag, doesn't play any video games at all and definitely does not understand the rules of football or other sports.  He does not play video games. This would be his first. 

He's got a super strong memory for visuals and maps and he can give me turn by turn directions to places that are 30 or 45 minutes away after going there once or even looking it up on Google maps. So race games or simple world mapping games would be good.  Anything where kids his age are going to kill him and he won't understand why... seems rough. 

I think he needs to learn how to turn on the console, play a very accessible game and have fun, before fortnite or among us (I've played fortnite and would love to play among us with someone).  

I have a niece who is on the spectrum and she loves Minecraft. She obsesses about it. Could be a nice carrot to have as an incentive for good behavior. I remember you posting about how excited your boy gets for his gold stars to earn dad time out at Wendy’s. 

Stick with the Switch and buy the Mario catalog. Super Marios, Mario Kart Racing, Luigi’s Mansion, the Mario Builders where you get to design and build your own courses. Those are all very accessible, great universe of characters, age appropriate and a lot of variety, while remaining consistent on a theme.

EDIT: my kid is bugging me to play Among Us with him, so I’ll probably play next week when work is done. I’ll post whatever username we use then, if you guys want to play. I hear it’s way more fun the more people you have.

Playstation Plus: I'm an older gamer with zero interest in online play. Is there really any reason for me to sign up for Playstation Plus? I know you get the three free games a month. For the most part, their selection rarely interests me, though I won't say "never." I see deals this time of year on annual subscriptions but for me, as an older gamer that has zero interest in online play and a limited amount of gaming time, I am just wondering if there are any features, especially ones I may be totally unaware of, that would make a subscription worth it? I know I have games that would allow me to get special skins and stuff if I had an account to sign in to. I'm not sure that is remotely worth the price. I fully admit to being pretty oblivious to what all you get with the account. TIA.

Playstation Plus: I'm an older gamer with zero interest in online play. Is there really any reason for me to sign up for Playstation Plus? I know you get the three free games a month. For the most part, their selection rarely interests me, though I won't say "never." I see deals this time of year on annual subscriptions but for me, as an older gamer that has zero interest in online play and a limited amount of gaming time, I am just wondering if there are any features, especially ones I may be totally unaware of, that would make a subscription worth it? I know I have games that would allow me to get special skins and stuff if I had an account to sign in to. I'm not sure that is remotely worth the price. I fully admit to being pretty oblivious to what all you get with the account. TIA.
I have PS+ and I've increasingly started to wonder why.  The free games are rarely any good, and you could always pick them up for cheap if you really wanted one for some reason.  

I think you need PS+ for the online features in Soulsborne titles, which would make it worthwhile for me personally because I like those games.  But yeah it's not a great value proposition if you don't play online.  (And then there's the principle of paying to use the internet connection that you paid for to play the online game that you paid for).  

I have a niece who is on the spectrum and she loves Minecraft. She obsesses about it. Could be a nice carrot to have as an incentive for good behavior. I remember you posting about how excited your boy gets for his gold stars to earn dad time out at Wendy’s. 

Stick with the Switch and buy the Mario catalog. Super Marios, Mario Kart Racing, Luigi’s Mansion, the Mario Builders where you get to design and build your own courses. Those are all very accessible, great universe of characters, age appropriate and a lot of variety, while remaining consistent on a theme.

EDIT: my kid is bugging me to play Among Us with him, so I’ll probably play next week when work is done. I’ll post whatever username we use then, if you guys want to play. I hear it’s way more fun the more people you have.
This is a great recommendation. I would agree. Minecraft would probably be #1 I think. If he’s into watching YouTube, there are a billion videos to help learn how to play.

And the Mario games are a great suggestion as well. Mario Kart for the interactivity with others (it’s pretty fast paced though obviously) and the others for a more chill laid back experience.

I have PS+ and I've increasingly started to wonder why.  The free games are rarely any good, and you could always pick them up for cheap if you really wanted one for some reason.  

I think you need PS+ for the online features in Soulsborne titles, which would make it worthwhile for me personally because I like those games.  But yeah it's not a great value proposition if you don't play online.  (And then there's the principle of paying to use the internet connection that you paid for to play the online game that you paid for).  
Thanks Ivan, think I'll continue to pass.

Hes 9 but socially he's probably more like a 5 or 6 year old. He sucks at tag, doesn't play any video games at all and definitely does not understand the rules of football or other sports.  He does not play video games. This would be his first. 

He's got a super strong memory for visuals and maps and he can give me turn by turn directions to places that are 30 or 45 minutes away after going there once or even looking it up on Google maps. So race games or simple world mapping games would be good.  Anything where kids his age are going to kill him and he won't understand why... seems rough. 

I think he needs to learn how to turn on the console, play a very accessible game and have fun, before fortnite or among us (I've played fortnite and would love to play among us with someone).  
Formula 1 and NASCAR would be good in racing. I would say kingdom Hearts for maps and such would be great too. 

You need PS+ for DLC and to buy the games in the PS Store I believe. 

Since we're somewhat on the topic, does anyone else deal with their kids wanting to watch people on YouTube more than play games themselves? Our daughter seems to enjoy watching people play minecraft or planet zoo just as much if not more than actually playing herself. It seems weird but is there actually anything bad about this?

Since we're somewhat on the topic, does anyone else deal with their kids wanting to watch people on YouTube more than play games themselves? Our daughter seems to enjoy watching people play minecraft or planet zoo just as much if not more than actually playing herself. It seems weird but is there actually anything bad about this?
That's all my daughter does anymore. She always did it but would split play and watch. She's 15 now but pretty much watches people play.  A friend of mine put it best.His son does the same thing.  My friend asked "how can you watch people play games much".  His sons answer. How can you watch people play football so much.  He stopped bothering him after that. Lol

That's all my daughter does anymore. She always did it but would split play and watch. She's 15 now but pretty much watches people play.  A friend of mine put it best.His son does the same thing.  My friend asked "how can you watch people play games much".  His sons answer. How can you watch people play football so much.  He stopped bothering him after that. Lol
Fine, go ahead and be all logical. 

No, that isn't true. I've bought and downloaded several games from the PS Store. C'mon man, you know they aren't going to stop folks from spending money on their products.
Yeah thats my bad however you do need it for DLC content I believe. Also some games don't function without online as they can be played solo but online like Ghost Recon's two open world games. 

My kids sometimes do this too. It must be a generational thing; I’d rather scratch my nails across a chalkboard than watch someone else play a video game.  But it’s obviously a lucrative industry so maybe us older people are the weird ones. 

My kids sometimes do this too. It must be a generational thing; I’d rather scratch my nails across a chalkboard than watch someone else play a video game.  But it’s obviously a lucrative industry so maybe us older people are the weird ones. 
I watch a podcaster sometimes but it was usually games I didn't have I couldn't get like when PUBG first came out 

I totally get watching someone else to get tips or ideas but to just watch? I guess we are the weird ones though. Time to start investing more of my retirement in esports I guess?

I totally get watching someone else to get tips or ideas but to just watch? I guess we are the weird ones though. Time to start investing more of my retirement in esports I guess?
Yeah I don't usually watch others. I might have this guys stream on while playing my own because he's entertaining. I normally just turn it on and play my own to help his numbers and support him though. However it is a big business. Those who are really good and popular can make upward of 2K a stream depending on who they are. However depending where you stream Twitch/Youtube etc and how you donate a certain % of the donation goes to the streaming service itself. 

You aren't successful overnight. It might take a few yrs to get started. Might lose some money at first. Sometimes you can get lucky and end up with a big night where you get a big sub #s and donations and that kicks starts you. Word of mouth goes a long way as well as partnering with other content creators if they are willing too but it's a cut throat business and a lot of creators are in it for themselves. 

Nothing wrong with watching players who are good at the game or those who are entertaining play the game.  I don't see it to be much different than adults watching other adults play a game (sports) in that regard. 

However, I do understand the frustration somewhat, since my youngest son tends to watch the most annoying people play, and they aren't any good at the game.  In that regard, I feel it's like being stuck with that kid on your team who won't mute his mic and screams about everything...  except, I can mute the kid in the game.  Oh, and I can't wait for the FNAF trend to go away, either.  I don't know why my son is so fascinated with some of that stuff. 

Minecraft or Terraria, are my suggestions.  Since you have a Switch Animal Crossing would probably also be good.

Nothing wrong with watching players who are good at the game or those who are entertaining play the game.  I don't see it to be much different than adults watching other adults play a game (sports) in that regard. 

However, I do understand the frustration somewhat, since my youngest son tends to watch the most annoying people play, and they aren't any good at the game.  In that regard, I feel it's like being stuck with that kid on your team who won't mute his mic and screams about everything...  except, I can mute the kid in the game.  Oh, and I can't wait for the FNAF trend to go away, either.  I don't know why my son is so fascinated with some of that stuff. 
That game looks horrifying...

Yeah, I get the appeal of watching streamers.  Its definitely more of a "watching in the background" kinda thing (especially now, working from home) but I get it. Watching the elite warzone players do their thing is pretty absurd. I have a handful of guys that I watch and its easy enough to just....not watch the annoying ones.

But yeah, some of them have pretty horrible schtick or are just complete tools (Nick Mercs....BRUTAL) and I dont see how they appeal to anyone over the age of 13. The only one I really watch for "entertainment" value is Dr. Disrespect.  That dude is hilarious.  He's funnier when he plays badly.

edit: i would never watch anyone play through a singleplayer game or something like "among us". Don't get the appeal of that at all. Just play the game yourself at that point.

Promised myself recently I would take some “me time” every once in a while and catch up on the massive backlog of games I never played or never finished the last 5-6 years. Fired up State of Decay on GamePass and loved the first few hours until I rage quit. Got my character stupidly killed and was amazed at how gruesome the death animations are on a 7 year old game.

First few missions were laughably easy, then I wondered onto a farm on a supply run with one other character and like no backup supplies, and got mobbed by like 40 zombies. My axe promptly broke and I was overwhelmed, then I got to watch my character get ripped in half with ribs and torso going one way and guts another. I promised the other survivors back at base that I will be more careful going forward!

On the list of things people watch that I don't understand, video game streams are way easier to get than people driving trucks on icy roads and people choosing a wedding dress and little kids baking and d list ex-celebrities wearing masks and disguising their voices so they can sing songs that i wouldn't go out of my way to listen to on the radio.  Kids like watching kids do things they like and talk about things they like and make jokes they understand. 

On the list of things people watch that I don't understand, video game streams are way easier to get than people driving trucks on icy roads and people choosing a wedding dress and little kids baking and d list ex-celebrities wearing masks and disguising their voices so they can sing songs that i wouldn't go out of my way to listen to on the radio.  Kids like watching kids do things they like and talk about things they like and make jokes they understand. 
OK BOOMER

I get watching for a purpose, say to see a game you might be on the fence about purchasing or youtube videos to fix your car.  What I don't get is these shows where people  essentially live stream their entire family's lives. 

Why would you watch other people live their lives instead of living your own? 

I know nobody plays anymore, but the new PUBG map is incredible.  30 player drop, very small with an urban (industrial) layout.  Maybe this is what COD is like?

I get watching for a purpose, say to see a game you might be on the fence about purchasing or youtube videos to fix your car.  What I don't get is these shows where people  essentially live stream their entire family's lives. 

Why would you watch other people live their lives instead of living your own? 
Because you aren't happy with your own life 

Because you can't afford the things they have

Because you don't have time enough on earth or the talent or opportunity to try all the things you want to do like be a doctor or a crime scene investigator or super spy or whatever

Because you don't have the drive to get great at something but want to experience what it's like to be great at it

Because you aren't happy with your own life 

Because you can't afford the things they have

Because you don't have time enough on earth or the talent or opportunity to try all the things you want to do like be a doctor or a crime scene investigator or super spy or whatever

Because you don't have the drive to get great at something but want to experience what it's like to be great at it
It's no different than anybody else that watches TV (especially reality tv). It's entertaining to that person. Otherwise they wouldn't watch it  

I know nobody plays anymore, but the new PUBG map is incredible.  30 player drop, very small with an urban (industrial) layout.  Maybe this is what COD is like?

I saw a preview and it does look pretty cool, but I can't even think about playing PUBG anymore. Stopped being fun once the player count started dropping and only the lifers stuck around. I can't compete at that point. And I dont think i could ever play a battle royale without re-buys again. Used to suck something fierce spec'ing for 20 minutes if you died early and your team made a run to the end.

DJackson10 said:
I thought initial you did need it. I'm probably wrong though 
I never had PS+. You never needed it for DLC. Starting with the PS4 you needed it to participate in multiplayer. On PS3 at first you could do multiplayer without it, and then some games started making you buy multiplayer passes. And with PS4 they just made it that you had to have a PS+ subscription.

You have always been able to access and buy stuff from PSN  without PS+.

Finally got my hands on an Xbox X.  Started downloading the two games I play yesterday, but never got to play them.  Apparently if you utilize power saving mode, it will not continue to download when it goes into sleep mode.  Will be firing it up later today I guess.

I stopped playing Cyberpunk because of the bugs, but really, the enemy AI in that game is also really, really bad and I don't think those are bugs.  I mean you can just sit there and use hacks to damage enemies while in cover and they don't even search the area for you.  There's a lot of cool tricks in combat, but it still ends up really dull.  

This maybe belongs in a TV thread instead.

Looking at grabbing a couple of the cheap smaller fire TVs for Christmas for each of the kid's bedrooms. I know they do fine with streaming all the apps. My question is would they be suitable to to play Nintendo Switch through? My youngest was asking today if they could hook their switch up to their laptop so they could play in their room and I explained how that wouldn't work. Renewed the idea to get them each their own sets.

I stopped playing Cyberpunk because of the bugs, but really, the enemy AI in that game is also really, really bad and I don't think those are bugs.  I mean you can just sit there and use hacks to damage enemies while in cover and they don't even search the area for you.  There's a lot of cool tricks in combat, but it still ends up really dull.  
I felt like the game just didn't live up to all it's hype, and things like this were part of my concern.  AI is not something I envision being patched.  

I took the option to get the full refund from the PS store.  I may get the game again at some point down the line, but for now I'm moving on to Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima.  (Btw, Ghost runs like butter on the PS5.)  I'm not too far into Ghost yet, but I am really enjoying it.  

I felt like the game just didn't live up to all it's hype, and things like this were part of my concern.  AI is not something I envision being patched.  

I took the option to get the full refund from the PS store.  I may get the game again at some point down the line, but for now I'm moving on to Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima.  (Btw, Ghost runs like butter on the PS5.)  I'm not too far into Ghost yet, but I am really enjoying it.  
Ghosts might be on of the best games I've ever played.

Ghosts might be on of the best games I've ever played.
Yeah, I've been wanting to play it for a while...  knew my old PS4 would have chugged on it and sound like a jet engine, so was waiting to play it on PS5.  Target put Ghost on sale for $40 last week, so I picked it up (disc version).

One annoyance with the PS5.  I have it horizontal because of my living room configuration, well the disc drive when playing games from disc is kinda loud.  I need to make sure my stand is connected properly, but pretty frustrating for a new console.  I've been researching some fixes online.  Seems it's not a unique problem and there's several fixes.

We live in a weird world. There is a game called Genital Jousting. It is currently 69% off on Steam. I can’t believe that someone made this game and that there are people who may apparently be buying it.

Yeah, I've been wanting to play it for a while...  knew my old PS4 would have chugged on it and sound like a jet engine, so was waiting to play it on PS5.  Target put Ghost on sale for $40 last week, so I picked it up (disc version).

One annoyance with the PS5.  I have it horizontal because of my living room configuration, well the disc drive when playing games from disc is kinda loud.  I need to make sure my stand is connected properly, but pretty frustrating for a new console.  I've been researching some fixes online.  Seems it's not a unique problem and there's several fixes.
Worked great on my PS4 :shrug:   But it is defintely better on the PS5 :)

Also Castle Crashers might a good one.  It’s co-op and my kids all liked it quite a bit, although some of the levels are kind of fast paced.   But it’s also one you could pick up and play for a short time if you want

Cuphead maybe an option, it’s pretty hard but it’s a lot of pattern recognition, so I could see him either really getting into that one or absolutely hating it

His video game experience so far is basically zero. He played Mario kart at the arcade and didn't understand the items at all, and constantly crashed into walls.  That was mostly pre covid so he's a year older now but I'm starting from literal zero. 

The action games like old school super mario brothers seem fun. I was hoping Minecraft could be that, but then I watched a beginner Minecraft video and they were like just knock down some trees build a table then put the table near something good then build an axe and use it on the table to make things you want and I was like ok no that’s going to be way too much. I just wanted to run around and build Legos on TV.

The dancing games seem like a good gateway drug and also a good way to tire him out.  And then there's the racing games and Mario kart seems like a good start.

His video game experience so far is basically zero. He played Mario kart at the arcade and didn't understand the items at all, and constantly crashed into walls.  That was mostly pre covid so he's a year older now but I'm starting from literal zero. 

The action games like old school super mario brothers seem fun. I was hoping Minecraft could be that, but then I watched a beginner Minecraft video and they were like just knock down some trees build a table then put the table near something good then build an axe and use it on the table to make things you want and I was like ok no that’s going to be way too much. I just wanted to run around and build Legos on TV.

The dancing games seem like a good gateway drug and also a good way to tire him out.  And then there's the racing games and Mario kart seems like a good start.
Speaking of Lego, pretty much all of the Lego video games are great. Find stories and fairly easy to figure out how to do things with lots of hand holding. My daughter has played the garbage out of Lego City Undercover and some of the Lego superhero games. If he enjoys superheroes, Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings, looking into a Lego video game could be a good move. And the games are actually pretty fun as well. I’ve played them a ton with my daughter. The most fun is after you beat the main story you can just run around the city/world doing just about anything you want.

Users who are viewing this thread