What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (3 Viewers)

'Tom Servo said:
Even if they win the division, it's doubtful they will do anything in the playoffs.
Same with anyone in the division. Chip and a chair.
:lmao: :cry:
:hophead: First of all I posted that before the end of the game...second of all I disagree that your team is even in the same breath as Boston/NYY/Tex, if that is what you are implying. I've said it all year in the thread...you just gotta get in and anything can happen.
Everyone would want to play Cleveland, no one would want to play a team with Justin Verlander in a five game series. I'm sure you understand this.
I understand you have an ace. That doesn't change my opinion about anything. Boston and NY have aces too.
And those aces can and do lose in the playoffs. What happens if Verlander is a tough luck 2-1 loser to CC in a game 1? Now you have to win TWO without him, and given your record without Verlander (something way below .500 IIRC from listening to the Tigers feed yesterday), you're probably toast. Could it happen? Like Bobcat said, anything can happen in October.
You are apparently horrible at simple arithmetic. Verlander is 18-5, Tigers are 68-58. Also apparently you are completely disregarding the fact the Tigers are 5th in the AL in runs, 4th in slugging and 4th in OPS. The Indians are 8th, 8th and 10th. That's a pretty significant difference (45 OPs points and 50 runs) considering the Tigers starting pitching is also better than the Indians statistically, and tangibly. The Indians do have a much better bullpen, but bullpens are mitigated in a short series and the Tigers have Benoit and Valverde.

I'm not saying and never said they will beat anyone if they get to the playoffs, I'm just saying they stand a much better chance once there than the Indians do. Call me in two years when this will certainly change.

'Tom Servo said:
Even if they win the division, it's doubtful they will do anything in the playoffs.
:hophead: First of all I posted that before the end of the game...second of all I disagree that your team is even in the same breath as Boston/NYY/Tex, if that is what you are implying. I've said it all year in the thread...you just gotta get in and anything can happen.
Everyone would want to play Cleveland, no one would want to play a team with Justin Verlander in a five game series. I'm sure you understand this.
I understand you have an ace. That doesn't change my opinion about anything. Boston and NY have aces too.
And those aces can and do lose in the playoffs. What happens if Verlander is a tough luck 2-1 loser to CC in a game 1? Now you have to win TWO without him, and given your record without Verlander (something way below .500 IIRC from listening to the Tigers feed yesterday), you're probably toast. Could it happen? Like Bobcat said, anything can happen in October.
You are apparently horrible at simple arithmetic. Verlander is 18-5, Tigers are 68-58.

Also apparently you are completely disregarding the fact the Tigers are 5th in the AL in runs, 4th in slugging and 4th in OPS. The Indians are 8th, 8th and 10th. That's a pretty significant difference (45 OPs points and 50 runs) considering the Tigers starting pitching is also better than the Indians statistically, and tangibly. The Indians do have a much better bullpen, but bullpens are mitigated in a short series and the Tigers have Benoit and Valverde. I'm not saying and never said they will beat anyone if they get to the playoffs, I'm just saying they stand a much better chance once there than the Indians do. Call me in two years when this will certainly change.
If Verlander is 18-5, and the Tigers are 68-58 overall, doesn't that make them 50-53 overall? It could be you're horrible at reading comprehension. :shrug: Regardless, the point that Bobcat & I are making is that basically you don't match up well with NYY - BOS (don't worry, neither do we). After Verlander, you've got an iffy Porcello, that kid from Seattle and hope. Again, I'm not saying you can't beat either of them. However, if I was a betting man (& I'm not), I'd be betting the chalk.

'Tom Servo said:
You are apparently horrible at simple arithmetic. Verlander is 18-5, Tigers are 68-58.

Also apparently you are completely disregarding the fact the Tigers are 5th in the AL in runs, 4th in slugging and 4th in OPS. The Indians are 8th, 8th and 10th. That's a pretty significant difference (45 OPs points and 50 runs) considering the Tigers starting pitching is also better than the Indians statistically, and tangibly. The Indians do have a much better bullpen, but bullpens are mitigated in a short series and the Tigers have Benoit and Valverde. I'm not saying and never said they will beat anyone if they get to the playoffs, I'm just saying they stand a much better chance once there than the Indians do. Call me in two years when this will certainly change.
If Verlander is 18-5, and the Tigers are 68-58 overall, doesn't that make them 50-53 overall? It could be you're horrible at reading comprehension. :shrug: Regardless, the point that Bobcat & I are making is that basically you don't match up well with NYY - BOS (don't worry, neither do we). After Verlander, you've got an iffy Porcello, that kid from Seattle and hope. Again, I'm not saying you can't beat either of them. However, if I was a betting man (& I'm not), I'd be betting the chalk.
To be fair, you did say "way below .500". I'm not sure 3 games under is way below.And they do have Scherzer who I'd think they want to be their #2 unless they are off their rockers. That doesn't mean he's a special #2, just has to be better than Porcello and Fister.

I still stand by the stance taken here. DD can talk about the starting pitching being so much better statistically and tangibly or whatever...but I'd take the Tribe's middle rotation guys over the Tigers this year. I'm guessing the numbers are swayed slightly, or significantly, by Verlander and Fister's Seattle numbers. I'd rather go to war with Ubaldo, Tomlin and Carmona vs Fister, Scherzer and Porcello...but that's just my opinion and I can understand someone who thinks opposite as long as they'd acknowledge it's close.

If Verlander is 18-5, and the Tigers are 68-58 overall, doesn't that make them 50-53 overall? It could be you're horrible at reading comprehension. :shrug:Regardless, the point that Bobcat & I are making is that basically you don't match up well with NYY - BOS (don't worry, neither do we). After Verlander, you've got an iffy Porcello, that kid from Seattle and hope. Again, I'm not saying you can't beat either of them. However, if I was a betting man (& I'm not), I'd be betting the chalk.
To be fair, you did say "way below .500". I'm not sure 3 games under is way below.And they do have Scherzer who I'd think they want to be their #2 unless they are off their rockers. That doesn't mean he's a special #2, just has to be better than Porcello and Fister.I still stand by the stance taken here. DD can talk about the starting pitching being so much better statistically and tangibly or whatever...but I'd take the Tribe's middle rotation guys over the Tigers this year. I'm guessing the numbers are swayed slightly, or significantly, by Verlander and Fister's Seattle numbers. I'd rather go to war with Ubaldo, Tomlin and Carmona vs Fister, Scherzer and Porcello...but that's just my opinion and I can understand someone who thinks opposite as long as they'd acknowledge it's close.
This is true that I was a tad hyperbolic. I was trying to remember what the FSD guys said Sunday and what I thought I remembered was actually worse than the reality.Having said that, after Verlander & Scherzer, I'm not (or I wouldn't be) comfortable with Porcello (inconsistent) and Fister (WTF). I'm with you that JV outshines our #1, but our #2-4 are better.But this is an Indians thread. :thumbup: ;)

It was a good run fellas. :thumbup:
Could be 4 back after today. :shrug:Thome rumors swirling? That would be....interesting.
Hey, it saves money on buying playoff tickets. :shrug:The thing about Thome is I wonder if the ChiSux would take a chance of getting stuck with him by blocking him from getting to us. If I were the Twins, I would let them keep him just to screw them. :lmao: Seriously, though, Thome qualifies as a B free agent right now with the chance to make A. What's a draft pick worth to the Twins vs. what they could get from the ChiSux for sticking Thome on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there is a little magic left. That's a fun ending...my dad took my son to the game today. Second walk off HR for the boy this year...we were at Santana's slam too.

If Verlander is 18-5, and the Tigers are 68-58 overall, doesn't that make them 50-53 overall? It could be you're horrible at reading comprehension. :shrug:
Tigers are 20-8 when Verlander starts meaning they are 49-50 when he doesn't. That isn't "way below .500" according to anyone with 2nd grade math skills, which apparently you lack.

Tigers are 20-8 when Verlander starts meaning they are 49-50 when he doesn't. That isn't "way below .500" according to anyone with 2nd grade math skills, which apparently you lack.
<BR><BR>Did you happen to miss the post where I admitted to having a bad memory?

With that lineup I can't believe the Indians have been in it for so long. It was a good run. :kicksrock:
Just came to post todays. :barf:E. Carrera CF C. Phelps 2BC. Santana CS. Duncan LFK. Fukudome RFL. Chisenhall DHM. LaPorta 1BJ. Hannahan 3BJ. Donald SS

Poor Jim Thome has to go back to that hell hole where the jagoff fan base booed him unmercifully every opportunity they got.

Poor Jim Thome has to go back to that hell hole where the jagoff fan base booed him unmercifully every opportunity they got.
Actually, he had to approve the trade. I'm sure the fanbase will cheer him tonight. Perhaps you can fashion all those Old Style beer cans in your garage into a satellite dish so you can watch tonight's game. :bye:

Glad to see Thome back. I never understood the animosity.
People got pissed based on his public comments and then turning down 5/60 and accepting 6/85 from Philly where the 6th was a team option w/ a 3M buyout. Shapiro didn't want to give him a 6th year because of Thome's back questions. I think alot of that animosity has faded over the years (in comparison Boozer and LeBum did things worse than Thome), although I'm sure there are some people that still hold a grudge. He's going to be cheered and go into the HOF with an Indians cap on his head.

Actually, he had to approve the trade. I'm sure the fanbase will cheer him tonight. Perhaps you can fashion all those Old Style beer cans in your garage into a satellite dish so you can watch tonight's game. :bye:
:confused: Why would I waste all of those good cans when I have MLB.TV pumping through my PS3 to my 60'' TV?Is this how you people do things in Cleveland?

People got pissed based on his public comments and then turning down 5/60 and accepting 6/85 from Philly where the 6th was a team option w/ a 3M buyout. Shapiro didn't want to give him a 6th year because of Thome's back questions. I think alot of that animosity has faded over the years (in comparison Boozer and LeBum did things worse than Thome), although I'm sure there are some people that still hold a grudge. He's going to be cheered and go into the HOF with an Indians cap on his head.
I never did either - maybe because Thome is one of my favorite players ever. Heck, I don't even remember what he said leaving. I always thought he was "country strong" and could play for a good while because of his bat.I'm glad to see there will be a Thomecoming tonight. :thumbup:

:confused: Why would I waste all of those good cans when I have MLB.TV pumping through my PS3 to my 60'' TV?Is this how you people do things in Cleveland?
Wow. You have high-speed internet service AND beer. Hell, consider yourself blessed.

Wow. You have high-speed internet service AND beer. Hell, consider yourself blessed.
I do that every time I look out my window and I'm not gazing upon Cleveland.

I do that every time I look out my window and I'm not gazing upon Cleveland.
Wow. You got me there.Cuyahoga River on fire >>>>>>>> dead Chicagoan voting

I never did either - maybe because Thome is one of my favorite players ever. Heck, I don't even remember what he said leaving. I always thought he was "country strong" and could play for a good while because of his bat.I'm glad to see there will be a Thomecoming tonight. :thumbup:
I don't think he said much when he left...besides his wife is his rock...that's the point. He was pretty candid on what I heard from today though.He did say alot of things over the years when he was here...for example around 3 weeks before bolting something like "they'll have to rip the jersey off my back for me to leave Cleveland". He branded himself as an Indian for life over those 12 years. So when you leave and don't say anything, people feel betrayed. He deserved alot of the boos but he also deserved the standing O he got tonight as time heals all (well most) wounds.

Jim Thome probably personifies Cleveland Indians baseball more than any other player (maybe with Omar and Kenny) over the last, what, 40 years at least? People realize this and showed up at the yard tonight (you post about that DD?). I would have been there but we're already going Sunday...definitely looking forward to it.

Ubaldo dealing today.
For 1 inning. Fister is clearly the MVP of the trade deadline while Ubaldo may go down as the worst move.
Ubaldo pitched his ### off today. That loss wasn't on him. Indians are decimated with injuries.
Yeah bunch of injuries. I thought Ubaldo made two or three bad pitches all day. I also remember the days VMART terrorized the Tigers, always have loved him (there is evidence of this in the playoff thread the year the Bosox and Injuns played).

:tfp:

:penalty: <----- Not a penalty, but me throwing in the towel on 2011.

:cry: :cry: I guess it's wait till next year for the 44th year in a row....

BTW, for old Limpy out there, that 44th year in a row refers to my being a fan of the team. I just down feel like having this thread smell like Old Style urine (talk about being redundant)...

Have not seen much of Hagadone, and I know he threw alot of pitches tonight, but I like what I see. He seems to throw 95-96 effortlessly. Mabye alot of guys do...but we could use another lefty in the pipeline. Was nice to see him backwards K Beckham to end it (Beckham kinda rubs me the wrong way...).

BTW, the 24 games before this present series:

Detroit: 20-4

Cleveland: 10-14

That was your ballgame folks.

I'm wondering if Jim Thome is indeed retiring after the season. If there's something out there, I must've missed it. They paid the Twins $20,000 to complete the trade from last month, the Thome appreciation night tonight and the retaking of the team photo tells me he's hanging it up. Just my :2cents:

@CaminoTribeNick Camino#Indians taking team picture again, perhaps because of Jim Thome. All 35 players on current roster including Acta, coaches and staff.

Tribe trades a minor leaguer for Derek Lowe. Probably ends up as 4th or 5th starter...and at the cost of $5 million for 2012 only.

Tribe trades a minor leaguer for Derek Lowe. Probably ends up as 4th or 5th starter...and at the cost of $5 million for 2012 only.
It's not a bad trade if Lowe experiences some kind of dead cat bounce in 2012. If he pitches like he did last year, Cleveland would be better off sending some kid out there to get shelled.

It's not a bad trade if Lowe experiences some kind of dead cat bounce in 2012. If he pitches like he did last year, Cleveland would be better off sending some kid out there to get shelled.
:goodposting: I agree. If he can pitch like Denny Martinez & Orel Hershiser did with the Indians - get by on guile and guts plus maybe mentor the young guys - then it was worth it. Right now, the rotation is Masterson, Ubaldo, Tomlin, Carmona and Lowe. If Lowe has anything left, bump him to 4 and move Carmona back.If July comes and the Indians are 10+ games back & he's got 4-something ERA, move him for a bag of balls and some jockstraps.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Cleveland's League Park to get $5 million renovation

Cleveland.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cleveland is finally set to restore League Park, at least two decades after city officials first discussed returning the piece of hallowed baseball ground to glory.

Indians second-baseman Bill Wambsganss executed his famous unassisted triple play at League Park in the 1920 World Series. Yankee Joe DiMaggio stroked the last hit in his 56-game streak at the park in 1941. Alta Weiss, a teenage girl, pitched there for a men's semi-pro team in the early 1900s.

Tim Wiles, director of research for the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., was in Cleveland about 10 years ago for a conference sponsored by the then-Cleveland-based Society for American Baseball Research. He and about 20 other baseball historians took a side trip to League Park and stood on what remained of the diamond.

"I just got out there and felt a very powerful historical-slash-archaeological presence," Wiles said in a telephone interview. "There was a vibe."

The old ballpark, once home of the Cleveland Indians and the 1945 Negro League champion Cleveland Buckeyes, and adjacent parkland will undergo $5 million in renovations, said Ken Silliman, chief of staff for Mayor Frank Jackson. Silliman said work will begin late this spring or in early summer and be finished in about a year.

League Park, at East 66th Street and Lexington Avenue in the Hough neighborhood, hosted its first baseball game in 1891, with pitching legend Cy Young on the mound for the Cleveland Spiders. The park is on the National Register of Historic Places.

City Architecture is wrapping up plans that include restoring the ticket house and a bleacher wall and creating a Major League-size diamond in the same place as the original. Home plate will go in the exact spot where it rested the day that Babe Ruth whacked his 500th career home run in 1929.

Plans also call for a community building with a museum, a youth baseball diamond and a field for football and soccer. If bids are low enough, the city could add a pavilion and splash park.

Fans from around the world have expressed interest in visiting after the restoration is finished, said Russ Haslage, director of the League Park Society, a nonprofit group of preservation advocates.

The Indians used League Park from 1900 through 1946, continuing to play some games there for 15 years after Municipal Stadium opened. It was the team's home field during the 1920 World Series.

Besides Young and Ruth, greats such as Bob Feller, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Shoeless Joe Jackson passed through the park.

The old Cleveland Rams played professional football games at League Park in the 1940s, and it served as a practice field for the Browns until 1951, when the city bought the property and converted it into a community park. The park eventually disintegrated.

Talk of restoration dates to at least the early 1990s. Then-Councilwoman Fannie Lewis envisioned League Park as a catalyst for a Hough renaissance and championed the cause until she died in 2008.

Silliman, who also worked for former Mayor Michael R. White, said White presented a $2 million plan in 2000. Jane Campbell, who succeeded White two years later, offered a proposal costing $18 million, a figure that Silliman said was "never doable."

After Jackson took office in 2006, he instructed Silliman to reconfigure the project. Money will come from bonds issued over three years.

Paula Gist heads the League Park Heritage Committee, a neighborhood group that Councilman T.J. Dow, Lewis' successor, formed to lobby for improvements. The committee is to help raise another $1.7 million for a track and other work.

Gist grew up in Hough and fondly remembers a vibrant middle-class neighborhood that existed prior to riots in the summer of 1966. Her father, now 94, attended Negro League games at League Park.

She said the project will provide a focus for an area that has seen dozens of new houses built in recent years. She hopes League Park also will become a regional attraction, hosting minor league baseball games and other special events.

"This is important to us, to our neighborhood," Gist said. "We don't want just a ballpark; we want a revitalization."
Pictures in the link are very cool.Link

Users who are viewing this thread