What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (7 Viewers)

I for one am shocked at this development! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!

Cleveland Indians Grady Sizemore likely to miss opening day with lower back strain

Cleveland.com

Friday, February 24, 2012, 3:46 PM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Center fielder Grady Sizemore will probably miss Opening Day on April 5 with a lower back injury.

"It's unlikely Grady will be ready for opening day," said Lonnie Soloff, Indians head athletic trainer.

Soloff made the announcement Friday, the day before the Indians first full squad workout of spring training was scheduled.

Sizemore suffered the injury two weeks ago while fielding grounders in center fielder. The injury hit the hard-luck Sizemore with a double whammy because had to stop rehabbing his surgically repaired right knee.

Soloff said Sizemore was ahead of schedule with his running and hitting while recovering from last year's knee surgery. He injured the knee in May and underwent surgery on Oct. 8.

This means Michael Brantley will probably move from left field to center field. He could hit leadoff as well.

"We were obviously aware of some of the potential risks with Grady's rehab," said GM Chris Antonetti. "We were cognizant of that as we structured our roster. We feel we have a quality group of candidates in the event Grady isn't ready."

The Indians have 13 outfielders in camp besides Sizemore.

On Oct. 31 the Indians made Sizemore a free agent by not exercising his $9 million club opltion. They re-signed him to a one-year $5 million deal with enough performance incentives that could take him $9 million.

If Brantley moves to center, Ezequiel Careera, Aaron Cunningham, Shelley Duncan, Ryan Spilborgs, Felix Pie, Fred Lewis and Chad Huffman could get a look in left field.
Link

I for one am shocked at this development! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!

Cleveland Indians Grady Sizemore likely to miss opening day with lower back strain

Cleveland.com

Friday, February 24, 2012, 3:46 PM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Center fielder Grady Sizemore will probably miss Opening Day on April 5 with a lower back injury.

"It's unlikely Grady will be ready for opening day," said Lonnie Soloff, Indians head athletic trainer.

Soloff made the announcement Friday, the day before the Indians first full squad workout of spring training was scheduled.

Sizemore suffered the injury two weeks ago while fielding grounders in center fielder. The injury hit the hard-luck Sizemore with a double whammy because had to stop rehabbing his surgically repaired right knee.

Soloff said Sizemore was ahead of schedule with his running and hitting while recovering from last year's knee surgery. He injured the knee in May and underwent surgery on Oct. 8.

This means Michael Brantley will probably move from left field to center field. He could hit leadoff as well.

"We were obviously aware of some of the potential risks with Grady's rehab," said GM Chris Antonetti. "We were cognizant of that as we structured our roster. We feel we have a quality group of candidates in the event Grady isn't ready."

The Indians have 13 outfielders in camp besides Sizemore.

On Oct. 31 the Indians made Sizemore a free agent by not exercising his $9 million club opltion. They re-signed him to a one-year $5 million deal with enough performance incentives that could take him $9 million.

If Brantley moves to center, Ezequiel Careera, Aaron Cunningham, Shelley Duncan, Ryan Spilborgs, Felix Pie, Fred Lewis and Chad Huffman could get a look in left field.
Link
As a side note, how can you not love the name Felix Pie?

I know it was the first game of the year (I don't even know where Masterson's pitch count was at), and I know you have to have faith in your closer especially with a three run lead, but I still cannot understand a manager taking out a starter that is rolling after 8 innings. It's like it gives an automatic boost to the opposing team. I also understand closers like to start the inning and not come in if Masterson let a runner or two on base....but still, I think you have to let your horse finish the race. There are some exceptions, but we are not rolling out Mariano Rivera here, or talking about keeping Slowey or Gomez on the hill. Maybe we win this situation 9 times out of 10 and this was just the odd one out..who knows. I've been prepared for a disappointing season since last September...alot of people though have been quite optimistic.

I know it was the first game of the year (I don't even know where Masterson's pitch count was at), and I know you have to have faith in your closer especially with a three run lead, but I still cannot understand a manager taking out a starter that is rolling after 8 innings. It's like it gives an automatic boost to the opposing team. I also understand closers like to start the inning and not come in if Masterson let a runner or two on base....but still, I think you have to let your horse finish the race. There are some exceptions, but we are not rolling out Mariano Rivera here, or talking about keeping Slowey or Gomez on the hill. Maybe we win this situation 9 times out of 10 and this was just the odd one out..who knows. I've been prepared for a disappointing season since last September...alot of people though have been quite optimistic.
I think Masterson was laboring a bit in the 8th, pulling him was the right move. The problem was Perez looked terrible from the get-go, Vinnie should've been up after the Yunel single.

I think Masterson was laboring a bit in the 8th, pulling him was the right move. The problem was Perez looked terrible from the get-go, Vinnie should've been up after the Yunel single.
Unfortunately, the 8th was one inning I didn't see. I think I'm still just pissed they lost. Going to the closer was probably the correct move on opening day...I just think most managers do that alot even in June, July, August....

Nothing like loading the bases for Jose Bautista in the 9th to get the heart racing. Then it looked like the infielders might misplay the the pop-up to boot.

At least the starting pitching was great all three days.

Damon to sign with Tribe

So we get to function as his extended spring training until Sizemore gets back so he go play for a contender. Great. <_<
This is not a move that a well-run organization makes. Given Sizemore's injury history, it's inexcusable that the Indians didn't have a better plan B than Shelley Duncan. Plan C of Rent-a-Damon is just ridiculous.

Think you guys will pull out a W today, another weak righty on tap and this Oakland team quite simply cannot hit.

I know this is controversial, but I think it's time for Damon to be retired.
Should have never brought him in. Waste of money.
Waste of money that they'd never spend anyways. I'd rather have him on the bench than Cunningham when/if Sizemore comes back.He looks horrible, but maybe he'll get going...and maybe he'll bring a positive presence to the clubhouse ala Trot Nixon. Vets like Hafner and Choo are not vocal leaders.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Cleveland's League Park to get $5 million renovation

Cleveland.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cleveland is finally set to restore League Park, at least two decades after city officials first discussed returning the piece of hallowed baseball ground to glory.

Indians second-baseman Bill Wambsganss executed his famous unassisted triple play at League Park in the 1920 World Series. Yankee Joe DiMaggio stroked the last hit in his 56-game streak at the park in 1941. Alta Weiss, a teenage girl, pitched there for a men's semi-pro team in the early 1900s.

Tim Wiles, director of research for the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., was in Cleveland about 10 years ago for a conference sponsored by the then-Cleveland-based Society for American Baseball Research. He and about 20 other baseball historians took a side trip to League Park and stood on what remained of the diamond.

"I just got out there and felt a very powerful historical-slash-archaeological presence," Wiles said in a telephone interview. "There was a vibe."

The old ballpark, once home of the Cleveland Indians and the 1945 Negro League champion Cleveland Buckeyes, and adjacent parkland will undergo $5 million in renovations, said Ken Silliman, chief of staff for Mayor Frank Jackson. Silliman said work will begin late this spring or in early summer and be finished in about a year.

League Park, at East 66th Street and Lexington Avenue in the Hough neighborhood, hosted its first baseball game in 1891, with pitching legend Cy Young on the mound for the Cleveland Spiders. The park is on the National Register of Historic Places.

City Architecture is wrapping up plans that include restoring the ticket house and a bleacher wall and creating a Major League-size diamond in the same place as the original. Home plate will go in the exact spot where it rested the day that Babe Ruth whacked his 500th career home run in 1929.

Plans also call for a community building with a museum, a youth baseball diamond and a field for football and soccer. If bids are low enough, the city could add a pavilion and splash park.

Fans from around the world have expressed interest in visiting after the restoration is finished, said Russ Haslage, director of the League Park Society, a nonprofit group of preservation advocates.

The Indians used League Park from 1900 through 1946, continuing to play some games there for 15 years after Municipal Stadium opened. It was the team's home field during the 1920 World Series.

Besides Young and Ruth, greats such as Bob Feller, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Shoeless Joe Jackson passed through the park.

The old Cleveland Rams played professional football games at League Park in the 1940s, and it served as a practice field for the Browns until 1951, when the city bought the property and converted it into a community park. The park eventually disintegrated.

Talk of restoration dates to at least the early 1990s. Then-Councilwoman Fannie Lewis envisioned League Park as a catalyst for a Hough renaissance and championed the cause until she died in 2008.

Silliman, who also worked for former Mayor Michael R. White, said White presented a $2 million plan in 2000. Jane Campbell, who succeeded White two years later, offered a proposal costing $18 million, a figure that Silliman said was "never doable."

After Jackson took office in 2006, he instructed Silliman to reconfigure the project. Money will come from bonds issued over three years.

Paula Gist heads the League Park Heritage Committee, a neighborhood group that Councilman T.J. Dow, Lewis' successor, formed to lobby for improvements. The committee is to help raise another $1.7 million for a track and other work.

Gist grew up in Hough and fondly remembers a vibrant middle-class neighborhood that existed prior to riots in the summer of 1966. Her father, now 94, attended Negro League games at League Park.

She said the project will provide a focus for an area that has seen dozens of new houses built in recent years. She hopes League Park also will become a regional attraction, hosting minor league baseball games and other special events.

"This is important to us, to our neighborhood," Gist said. "We don't want just a ballpark; we want a revitalization."
Pictures in the link are very cool.Link
Did this or is this ever going to get done?

I know this is controversial, but I think it's time for Damon to be retired.
Should have never brought him in. Waste of money.
The Indians payroll structure won't allow them to sign anything other but pure bottom of the barrel players. I don't know how they can realistically compete. They are locked into that 70s-80s mode of develop one nice player and trade him off for 7 prospects. That didn't work then, hasn't worked now.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Cleveland's League Park to get $5 million renovation

Cleveland.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cleveland is finally set to restore League Park, at least two decades after city officials first discussed returning the piece of hallowed baseball ground to glory.

Indians second-baseman Bill Wambsganss executed his famous unassisted triple play at League Park in the 1920 World Series. Yankee Joe DiMaggio stroked the last hit in his 56-game streak at the park in 1941. Alta Weiss, a teenage girl, pitched there for a men's semi-pro team in the early 1900s.

Tim Wiles, director of research for the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., was in Cleveland about 10 years ago for a conference sponsored by the then-Cleveland-based Society for American Baseball Research. He and about 20 other baseball historians took a side trip to League Park and stood on what remained of the diamond.

"I just got out there and felt a very powerful historical-slash-archaeological presence," Wiles said in a telephone interview. "There was a vibe."

The old ballpark, once home of the Cleveland Indians and the 1945 Negro League champion Cleveland Buckeyes, and adjacent parkland will undergo $5 million in renovations, said Ken Silliman, chief of staff for Mayor Frank Jackson. Silliman said work will begin late this spring or in early summer and be finished in about a year.

League Park, at East 66th Street and Lexington Avenue in the Hough neighborhood, hosted its first baseball game in 1891, with pitching legend Cy Young on the mound for the Cleveland Spiders. The park is on the National Register of Historic Places.

City Architecture is wrapping up plans that include restoring the ticket house and a bleacher wall and creating a Major League-size diamond in the same place as the original. Home plate will go in the exact spot where it rested the day that Babe Ruth whacked his 500th career home run in 1929.

Plans also call for a community building with a museum, a youth baseball diamond and a field for football and soccer. If bids are low enough, the city could add a pavilion and splash park.

Fans from around the world have expressed interest in visiting after the restoration is finished, said Russ Haslage, director of the League Park Society, a nonprofit group of preservation advocates.

The Indians used League Park from 1900 through 1946, continuing to play some games there for 15 years after Municipal Stadium opened. It was the team's home field during the 1920 World Series.

Besides Young and Ruth, greats such as Bob Feller, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker and Shoeless Joe Jackson passed through the park.

The old Cleveland Rams played professional football games at League Park in the 1940s, and it served as a practice field for the Browns until 1951, when the city bought the property and converted it into a community park. The park eventually disintegrated.

Talk of restoration dates to at least the early 1990s. Then-Councilwoman Fannie Lewis envisioned League Park as a catalyst for a Hough renaissance and championed the cause until she died in 2008.

Silliman, who also worked for former Mayor Michael R. White, said White presented a $2 million plan in 2000. Jane Campbell, who succeeded White two years later, offered a proposal costing $18 million, a figure that Silliman said was "never doable."

After Jackson took office in 2006, he instructed Silliman to reconfigure the project. Money will come from bonds issued over three years.

Paula Gist heads the League Park Heritage Committee, a neighborhood group that Councilman T.J. Dow, Lewis' successor, formed to lobby for improvements. The committee is to help raise another $1.7 million for a track and other work.

Gist grew up in Hough and fondly remembers a vibrant middle-class neighborhood that existed prior to riots in the summer of 1966. Her father, now 94, attended Negro League games at League Park.

She said the project will provide a focus for an area that has seen dozens of new houses built in recent years. She hopes League Park also will become a regional attraction, hosting minor league baseball games and other special events.

"This is important to us, to our neighborhood," Gist said. "We don't want just a ballpark; we want a revitalization."
Pictures in the link are very cool.Link
Did this or is this ever going to get done?
That is awesome, I had no idea that stadium (at least part of it) was still standing. I drive through Cleveland a few times a year, gonna need to stop and see this soon.

Masterson v. Verlander today :boxing:
Progressive will probably be packed to half of capacity for that match up.
I could give two ####s about attendance. In the meantime...CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I disagree somewhat with that. We're midwestern cities. Decent people and good sports fans. We aren't flakey like the east/west coast, or Florida teams. The attendance for Indians games is a shame. The team is playing really well and they deserve better.

Masterson v. Verlander today :boxing:
Progressive will probably be packed to half of capacity for that match up.
I could give two ####s about attendance. In the meantime...CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
It bothers me that folks won't support what looks like a good team. It probably isn't fair to complain about attendance at a weekday afternoon game, but overall this year has been bad. Hopefully Masterson can scrape through a few more innings without too much damage.

'scrumptrulescent said:
I disagree somewhat with that. We're midwestern cities. Decent people and good sports fans. We aren't flakey like the east/west coast, or Florida teams. The attendance for Indians games is a shame. The team is playing really well and they deserve better.
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
It bothers me that folks won't support what looks like a good team. It probably isn't fair to complain about attendance at a weekday afternoon game, but overall this year has been bad.
I understand. I still have my (shared) season tickets and that's all I can control. Just sick of hearing about it. :shrug:

Most of the attendance issues are on ownership but management shares some of the blame for the bad contracts they have given out for the few guys they have spent $ on. Cleveland wants to root for the Indians, but many don't trust the braintrust enough to go all-in and the big spenders don't see the value in the Indians because they lack the star power to make games 'an event.' Unfortunately for us true baseball fans these types are necessary to bringing people to the ballpark. The types that come because Prince Fielder, Justin Verlander, and Miguel Cabrera (in Cleveland's case, LeBron) are there. There isn't that guy or guys on the Indians. It's a good, scrappy team but without star power. In the end, consistent winning will bring them out to the park regardless (just look at the sellout streak in the 90's) and to do that in this day you need to spend and the Dolan's have made it very clear they will not until it shows in the wallet.

It's a never ending back and forth that will continue until Dan Gilbert steps in and says just gimme the team.

Users who are viewing this thread