What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So what's up with the Eagles run game? (1 Viewer)

Wyld Stallyns

Footballguy
Last Week: Against TB, one of the league's worst run defenses -- They gave Westbrook and McCoy 6 carries each, plus 2 more rush attempts from the fullback Weaver, for a grand total of 14 TOTAL rushing attempts by the running backs.

This Week: Against OAK, another poor run defense team, the same thing --- the Eagles decided to run the ball 11 times TOTAL between Westbrook and McCoy. 6 carries for Westy, 5 for McCoy. ...Just so we're clear, that's over the course of the entire game.

So what's up? I wasn't able to watch either game, but I don't get it. Why would they only attempt 25 total rushing attacks against two of the worst run defenses? Is this an anomaly, or will the lack of a run game continue all season?

Welcome to the world of Any Reid's play calling.
I saw just a bit of this game and they didn't seem to be calling any runs. With the game so close, why don't you just try to run? OAK was pinning their ears back and coming at McRibb and their CBs had the speed to keep up with the small speedy PHI WRs. Celek seemed to be a non-factor.I am not sure how you lose to the Junior Varsity...but that has to be the most startling loss of the year so far.

You just can't win in the NFL running close to 10 times a game. Even pure passing teams, like the Patriots, run it to keep teams honest. Reid better get with the program..

Deja Vu.

Seems like we go through this every year. Eagles tease us with dominating performances, then stink it up and lose a game they should win. Every year their run game sputters, they abandon it entirely, then vow to bring it back. I'm less surprised by the lack of a quality run game then I am by the lack of involvement the RBs have had in the passing game so far this year. That's where the philly backs can really rack up their points. The lone bright spot today was Westbrook's 9 catches for 91 yards. He and LeSean only had 16 catches combined for about 100 yards coming into the game.

Really surprised they aren't getting Weaver involved for at least 5 carries and a couple targets a game. The guy can play.

I don't really get it because Westbrook when given the ball did pretty well, both rushing and recieving. They should have gotten him more involved. He looked better than Mccoy but neither got enough carries.

Most of it is on Reid. That's been their philosophy for years. They don't really believe in running the ball. They've never had a strong running game. westbrook's value was in the factthat he racked up tons of receiving yards too. If he had a lot of rushing yards, it was usually because he busted off a long run.

But, the other factor is that their offensive line is terrible. It's going to be their undoing this year. They are absolutely brutal. And now that Peters looks to have a knee injury, they're even worse. Definitely a bottom 10 offensive line right now. Possibly even bottom 5.

Andy Reid = Passaholic

As for the comments about the line, it is true that it was bad yesterday, but continuing to drop back to pass every time doesn't help it. If the Raiders know it's going to be a pass every time, it makes it that much difficult for the O-line

And if they are continually going to drop back and pass every time, how about using the shotgun to give McNabb a little time to find a receiver?? Bad game all around.

Maybe they were looking ahead to the Washington game !!??

Users who are viewing this thread