What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Shawshank Redemption (1 Viewer)

Clayton Gray

Just call me Carlton
Staff member
For some reason, I had never seen The Shawshank Redemption. I wasn't avoiding it, but it just never happened.

Anyway, I finally watched it, and it's good.

That is all.

i had a chicken sandwich for dinner last night. topped it off with white cheddar, honey ham and honey mustard. It was delicious.

I saw an attractive women walking the streets of Manhattan yesterday. You guys should check this place out.

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;

To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause—there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life.

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,

The insolence of office, and the spurns

That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscovere'd country, from whose bourn

No traveller returns, puzzles the will,

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,

And thus the native hue of resolution

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,

And enterprises of great pitch and moment

With this regard their currents turn awry

And lose the name of action.

The novella is well worth reading, too. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King, originally from Different Seasons though I think it's contained in some new collection as well.

Definitely on my top 5 all time. Just learned last year it was written by Steven King. For some reason that blew me away. Always just thought of him as a horror writer. Then I find out he also wrote the Green Mile and Stand by Me (at least the books these films were based on).

Just learned last year it was written by Steven King. For some reason that blew me away. Always just thought of him as a horror writer. Then I find out he also wrote the Green Mile and Stand by Me (at least the books these films were based on).
I didn't know that they had cable TV and internet connections under rocks. Good to know.

Definitely on my top 5 all time. Just learned last year it was written by Steven King. For some reason that blew me away. Always just thought of him as a horror writer. Then I find out he also wrote the Green Mile and Stand by Me (at least the books these films were based on).
And The Running Man. Not the greatest movie - just another Steve King that's not horror.

The novella is well worth reading, too. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King, originally from Different Seasons though I think it's contained in some new collection as well.
Yea, the Shawshank book is definitely better than the movie. As is The Running Man book. It really baffles me why they didn't follow the book for The Running Man when making the movie. Would of been so much better.

For some reason, I had never seen The Shawshank Redemption. I wasn't avoiding it, but it just never happened.Anyway, I finally watched it, and it's good.That is all.
Weird. Same exact situation here. Had never seen it (or any part of it) and just watched it this past weekend. Very good flick. But IMO Top 5 all time is a reach. Still very enjoyable.

I believe this is probably the first time Clayton has had enough spare time to watch a movie since Shawshank came out, so we need to cut him some slack.

I believe this is probably the first time Clayton has had enough spare time to watch a movie since Shawshank came out, so we need to cut him some slack.
Too busy playing poker and watching Arkansas basketball circa the mid-90's on ESPN classic?

I read The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss last week.

Pretty good book. Don't know why I missed it when it first came out.

They have poker online now too, check it out - pokerstars.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy: I am not insightful enough to be a movie critic. Hmm... maybe I could be a food critic. These muffins taste bad. Hmm, or an art critic. That painting is bad.

I was writing a letter, and couldn't figure out how to spell a word, then I was given a dictionary.. how cool is that! A book with nothing but words with definitions!!!

For some reason, I had never seen The Shawshank Redemption. I wasn't avoiding it, but it just never happened.

That is all.
Weird. Same exact situation here. Had never seen it (or any part of it) and just watched it this past weekend. Very good flick. But IMO Top 5 all time is a reach. Still very enjoyable.
Did either of you have any knowledge of the plot before watching the film?Having only seen it for the first time recently either of you may be able to settle a point of contention for me.

While watching the movie, did you know that Andy was innocent, or did you assume he was guilty until the plot twist with Tommy's character?

Many people when discussing the film say they knew Andy was innocent all along, but I don't see how anyone could without some sort of inside information before seeing the movie.

That is all.
Did either of you have any knowledge of the plot before watching the film?Having only seen it for the first time recently either of you may be able to settle a point of contention for me.

While watching the movie, did you know that Andy was innocent, or did you assume he was guilty until the plot twist with Tommy's character?

Many people when discussing the film say they knew Andy was innocent all along, but I don't see how anyone could without some sort of inside information before seeing the movie.
I only knew that it was about a prison.I thought he was innocent from the beginning.

That is all.

I only knew that it was about a prison.I thought he was innocent from the beginning.
Pretty much the same for me. I thought he was innocent but had nothing to go on in that regard. Never heard anything about the plot before. Only knew that it took place in a prison.

To be, or not to be, that is the question:Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to sufferThe slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,Or to take arms against a sea of troublesAnd by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,No more; and by a sleep to say we endThe heart-ache and the thousand natural shocksThat flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummationDevoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,Must give us pause—there's the respectThat makes calamity of so long life.For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,The insolence of office, and the spurnsThat patient merit of th'unworthy takes,When he himself might his quietus makeWith a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,To grunt and sweat under a weary life,But that the dread of something after death,The undiscovere'd country, from whose bournNo traveller returns, puzzles the will,And makes us rather bear those ills we haveThan fly to others that we know not of?Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,And thus the native hue of resolutionIs sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,And enterprises of great pitch and momentWith this regard their currents turn awryAnd lose the name of action.
Uhhh can someone post cliff notes for this guy? Thanks!

Got an itch. Pen wont reach the spot. Chair shimmy won't cut it. If I get up to rub on a corner, I might as well go to the bathroom for the lufa. Aaah, fallen steak knife from breakfast on the floor. Never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread