What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Shawshank Redemption (1 Viewer)

For some reason, I had never seen The Shawshank Redemption. I wasn't avoiding it, but it just never happened.

Anyway, I finally watched it, and it's good.

That is all.
Weird. Same exact situation here. Had never seen it (or any part of it) and just watched it this past weekend. Very good flick. But IMO Top 5 all time is a reach. Still very enjoyable.
Did either of you have any knowledge of the plot before watching the film?Having only seen it for the first time recently either of you may be able to settle a point of contention for me.

While watching the movie, did you know that Andy was innocent, or did you assume he was guilty until the plot twist with Tommy's character?

Many people when discussing the film say they knew Andy was innocent all along, but I don't see how anyone could without some sort of inside information before seeing the movie.
I assumed he was innocent merely because he was the protagonist of the movie and he claimed to be. :mellow:

David Yudkin said:
For some reason, I had never seen The Shawshank Redemption. I wasn't avoiding it, but it just never happened.Anyway, I finally watched it, and it's good.That is all.
Weird. Same exact situation here. Had never seen it (or any part of it) and just watched it this past weekend. Very good flick. But IMO Top 5 all time is a reach. Still very enjoyable.
It will likely steadily move up your list on repeat viewings.

Watched this last night on AMC with "Story Notes"... pretty cool :thumbup:

One of the coolest "story notes" was finding out that Captain Hadley (the head screw) Clancy Brown,

is the voice for Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob SquarePants.

most of the time I watch the movie just to get to the part where Red is walking through Buxton, looking for the surprise that Andy left him. the music in those scenes is amazing.

I caught the last few minutes the other day, starting with him finding the stuff under the rock. Even though I missed everything before, it still got a little dusty in the house. Not many movies can do that.

I don't think the sisters were portrayed fairly. I think this was a political slam piece.

damn liberal christian right wing conservative communist muslim liberal terrorist rhetoric invading my prison flicks

also, at about the time they discovered the hole Anyd was taking money from the first of 12 or 13 banks.

how long would it take to go make sizable withdraws from 12 banks? Wouldn't you think by the time he was done the town would have been flooded with people looking for him?

considering the warden knew where the deposits had been placed, you'd think he would have sent people to banks to look for Andy wouldn't he?

Last edited by a moderator:
also, at about the time they discovered the hole Anyd was taking money from the first of 12 or 13 banks.how long would it take to go make sizable withdraws from 12 banks? Wouldn't you think by the time he was done the town would have been flooded with people looking for him?considering the warden knew where the deposits had been placed, you'd think he would have sent people to banks to look for Andy wouldn't he?
Who was the warden going to warn? Pretty much the only people that knew about the grift were he and me.And we weren't dumb enough to put the deposits in in-town banks.Plus, when he relized the jig was up, I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about finding me, but rather in covering his tracks.

Watched this last night on AMC with "Story Notes"... pretty cool :thumbup:One of the coolest "story notes" was finding out that Captain Hadley (the head screw) Clancy Brown, is the voice for Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob SquarePants.
No freaking way! :excited: Now I will always have to hate Mr. Crabs. :cry:
If you'd ever seen him as the Kurgan in Highlander, you'd know why he treated me so mean in prison.
I don't know about Highlander, but he was pretty scary in Carnivale...

also, at about the time they discovered the hole Anyd was taking money from the first of 12 or 13 banks.how long would it take to go make sizable withdraws from 12 banks? Wouldn't you think by the time he was done the town would have been flooded with people looking for him?considering the warden knew where the deposits had been placed, you'd think he would have sent people to banks to look for Andy wouldn't he?
Who was the warden going to warn? Pretty much the only people that knew about the grift were he and me.And we weren't dumb enough to put the deposits in in-town banks.Plus, when he relized the jig was up, I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about finding me, but rather in covering his tracks.there was an escaped convictat bank #1 they find the hole and know he is goneby bank #12 they should be able to have police or guards or something in town looking for him

Who was the warden going to warn? Pretty much the only people that knew about the grift were he and me.And we weren't dumb enough to put the deposits in in-town banks.Plus, when he relized the jig was up, I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about finding me, but rather in covering his tracks.
there was an escaped convictat bank #1 they find the hole and know he is goneby bank #12 they should be able to have police or guards or something in town looking for himWho was going to tell the Police to check the banks?? Not the Warden....

there was an escaped convictat bank #1 they find the hole and know he is goneby bank #12 they should be able to have police or guards or something in town looking for him
Who was going to tell the Police to check the banks?? Not the Warden....why not?he doesn't have to say"check the banks because he is going to go grab money i have hidden"he could say"check the banks, he was a former banker and could have connections"or"check the streets"unless andy had a car stashed someplace, he's gotta be making his way around whatever town it is for the better part of an afternoon.

Some of the other cool "story notes"...

The mugshot of a young Morgan Freeman is actually Morgan's son...

"Jake" was trained to fly on command, but they couldn't get him NOT to squawk, so the actors had to time their lines in between "squawks"

The ambulance that took "Bogs" away was in such bad shape, it wouldn't run.. they had to "push it"

Some of the other cool "story notes"... The mugshot of a young Morgan Freeman is actually Morgan's son..."Jake" was trained to fly on command, but they couldn't get him NOT to squawk, so the actors had to time their lines in between "squawks"The ambulance that took "Bogs" away was in such bad shape, it wouldn't run.. they had to "push it"
i was just reading through those!Stephen King sold the film rights for his novella for a dollar.

there was an escaped convictat bank #1 they find the hole and know he is goneby bank #12 they should be able to have police or guards or something in town looking for himA convict escapes through a ####-filled sewer pipe and discards his prison garb - I think the last place they'd expect to find him is bopping around Main St., in and out of banks. In fairness to your argument, morning rollcall would certainly precede the opening of the banks. Andy would have to have a lot of nerve to wait patiently for the banks to open, knowing the chaotic scene he left behind (and not knowing for certain that the warden, in fact, got busy dyin'). [An interesting aspect is how quickly the package got from the bank to its destination (via 'outgoing mail') and how quickly everyone responded after that.] Nevertheless ...

The prison that played Shawshank, the Mansfield State Reformatory, now serves as a museum. Because it was scheduled for demolition at the time of filming, several set pieces remain intact in the prison, including the tunnel Andy crawled out of and the warden's office.

Andy, ever been there?

there was an escaped convictat bank #1 they find the hole and know he is goneby bank #12 they should be able to have police or guards or something in town looking for him
A convict escapes through a ####-filled sewer pipe and discards his prison garb - I think the last place they'd expect to find him is bopping around Main St., in and out of banks. In fairness to your argument, morning rollcall would certainly precede the opening of the banks. Andy would have to have a lot of nerve to wait patiently for the banks to open, knowing the chaotic scene he left behind (and not knowing for certain that the warden, in fact, got busy dyin'). [An interesting aspect is how quickly the package got from the bank to its destination (via 'outgoing mail') and how quickly everyone responded after that.] Nevertheless ...eh i was nitpicking anyway

The prison that played Shawshank, the Mansfield State Reformatory, now serves as a museum. Because it was scheduled for demolition at the time of filming, several set pieces remain intact in the prison, including the tunnel Andy crawled out of and the warden's office.Andy, ever been there?
I went this spring. Pretty cool tour. The tunnel is really just a tube not actually a tunnel. Lots of recognizable scenes from the movie. Also filmed parts of Air Force One there as well and still have some of the set pieces from that as well.

One of the coolest "story notes" was finding out that Captain Hadley (the head screw) Clancy Brown,

I liked him in Bad Boys. Got blasted by an exploding radio and pillow case full of soda cans.
I would like to see that movie again.
Watched this last night on AMC with "Story Notes"... pretty cool :thumbup:

No freaking way! :excited: Now I will always have to hate Mr. Crabs. :cry:
unpossible

most of the time I watch the movie just to get to the part where Red is walking through Buxton, looking for the surprise that Andy left him. the music in those scenes is amazing.
:goodposting: Totally agree. Thomas Newman is a great composer. Still hasn't won an oscar yet.

In fairness to your argument, morning rollcall would certainly precede the opening of the banks. Andy would have to have a lot of nerve to wait patiently for the banks to open, knowing the chaotic scene he left behind (and not knowing for certain that the warden, in fact, got busy dyin'). [An interesting aspect is how quickly the package got from the bank to its destination (via 'outgoing mail') and how quickly everyone responded after that.] Nevertheless ...
And why does Andy give the package to the banker in the first place? Seems like an unnecessary risk to me. JUST DROP IT OFF AT THE POST OFFICE, DUMMY.

In fairness to your argument, morning rollcall would certainly precede the opening of the banks. Andy would have to have a lot of nerve to wait patiently for the banks to open, knowing the chaotic scene he left behind (and not knowing for certain that the warden, in fact, got busy dyin'). [An interesting aspect is how quickly the package got from the bank to its destination (via 'outgoing mail') and how quickly everyone responded after that.] Nevertheless ...
And why does Andy give the package to the banker in the first place? Seems like an unnecessary risk to me. JUST DROP IT OFF AT THE POST OFFICE, DUMMY.
Balls.

Wasn't there a line in there about the warden's money being in banks "all over New England"?
It was "nearly a dozen banks in the Portland area". So he definitely didn't travel very far.
standing in line at 12 banks to make sizable withdraws is an all day event.
He withdrew large amounts. You float that kind of money in their bank and you don't stand in any line in 1960's or 1970's. As a matter of fact, he walked right in to one bank and was speaking to a higher up within moments.

Where's the brick wall in that photo? Fake.
When it was on last week with the "pop up video" notes, they mentioned the wall was built a bit before filming so the wild alfalfa would grow around the wall.The wall was put there for the movie.

I bumped into Warden Norton on the Santa Monica Pier when I lived back in SoCal. My eyes met his eyes and mine got wide and he started smirking in that "He knows who I am"...I just gave him the quick thumbs up, a wink, and kept going. I'm sure he would have talked to me but I always made it a habit in SoCal to not bother the celebs when you bump into them. One exception was Anthony Hopkins at the Hollywood Bowl. I pretty much made him take a picture with my wife. His only question was if I was a papparazzi and I assured him I wasn't.

I bumped into Warden Norton on the Santa Monica Pier when I lived back in SoCal. My eyes met his eyes and mine got wide and he started smirking in that "He knows who I am"...I just gave him the quick thumbs up, a wink, and kept going. I'm sure he would have talked to me but I always made it a habit in SoCal to not bother the celebs when you bump into them. One exception was Anthony Hopkins at the Hollywood Bowl. I pretty much made him take a picture with my wife. His only question was if I was a papparazzi and I assured him I wasn't.
I think I'd have said something like "You were awesome in...Demolition Man."

I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis Hopper in Amsterdam (at the Grasshopper, no less) and all I could muster was "True Romance" when I shook his hand. Looking back however, under those circumstances I suppose it was a win just to get two words out that went together.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has done a ton of movies but I think Shawshank has to be his best work.

Have any of you read the short story by Stephen King? Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I just went through it and frankly, was underwhelmed. I think this is one of those rare cases where the movie just kicks the crap out of the book. I was hoping the story would be better. :kicksrock: I kept reading hoping, but :no:

A convict escapes through a ####-filled sewer pipe and discards his prison garb - I think the last place they'd expect to find him is bopping around Main St., in and out of banks. In fairness to your argument, morning rollcall would certainly precede the opening of the banks. Andy would have to have a lot of nerve to wait patiently for the banks to open, knowing the chaotic scene he left behind (and not knowing for certain that the warden, in fact, got busy dyin'). [An interesting aspect is how quickly the package got from the bank to its destination (via 'outgoing mail') and how quickly everyone responded after that.] Nevertheless ...Its a good thing the rain storm did not occur on a Sunday morning, huh?

Have any of you read the short story by Stephen King? Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I just went through it and frankly, was underwhelmed. I think this is one of those rare cases where the movie just kicks the crap out of the book. I was hoping the story would be better. :kicksrock: I kept reading hoping, but :no:
Not nearly as good. That was part of a bunch of short stories I think, most of which were better.

I though the short story (paired with The Long Walk, Apt Pupil, and The Body in Different Seasobs) was fantastic. All four are excellent and represent some of King's (bachmans) best non horror work.

As a note, it isn't like they had email and a wired in bank system. Unless the warden called the banks there is no way they would know what was happening. And there was no crime in withdrawing the money - he had Id. The only crime would have been in identifying Andy as an escaped convict, which would have been hard to do given the utter lack of photo sharing technology at the time.

Definitely on my top 5 all time. Just learned last year it was written by Steven King. For some reason that blew me away. Always just thought of him as a horror writer. Then I find out he also wrote the Green Mile and Stand by Me (at least the books these films were based on).
He also wrote a book called Hearts in Atlantis which was a film in '01 with Anthony Hopkins, Anton Yelchin, and Hope Davis

There's lots of films that have gotten rave reviews that I've never seen:

The Godfather

The Godfather Part 2

Schindler's List

X-men

Goodfellas

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I only saw the Breakfast Club years after it came out, like late 1990s.

The Shining

Jaws

Blade Runner

I finally saw Escape from New York THIS YEAR for the first time.

As far TV shows, I never watched Fresh Prince and never watched Saved By The Bell.

Users who are viewing this thread