What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (2 Viewers)

KCC

Footballguy
Let's make a list for instant-gratification movie fans. Try to limit recommendations to those you don't have to order and wait a couple days for them to arrive. (I know, Netflix switches these around once in a while, but let's stick with ones we ouselves have "watched instantly".)

My recommendation would be a very cool English series called "Wire In the Blood". It's about a nerdy psychology professor who profiles serial killers and helps the police catch them. I know - it sounds like a familiar setup - but this series is actually very well done, it is more graphic than what you tend to see on American TV, and the acting is terrific. I've watched all six seasons on my computer (via Netflix) and the only clunker in the bunch was one movie done separately from the series where the main character went to America to testify in a Texas trial. The rest of them were very well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
KCC, how did you come across this? Was it recommended to you?
No, at least not by a person - Netflix automaticly gives you some suggested things to watch based on your viewing profile. My past selections had a few of what it considered to be "critically acclaimed crime-dramas" and this keep popping up as a suggestion. One night I thought WTF, and tried the first one in the series. I was soon hooked.

No, at least not by a person - Netflix automaticly gives you some suggested things to watch based on your viewing profile. My past selections had a few of what it considered to be "critically acclaimed crime-dramas" and this keep popping up as a suggestion. One night I thought WTF, and tried the first one in the series. I was soon hooked.
Excellent show.

I had never seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and found it surprisingly entertaining.
:goodposting: A few, none of which are under the radar:The Good the Bad and the UglyOn the WaterfrontThe TudorsRighteous KillTaxi DriverSpirit of the MarathonRun for your lifeVertigoThe Man who knew too muchThe BirdsCaliforniacationnHeroesLostGlory

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29
Very :mellow: I watched that a few weeks ago and it was terrific. It amazed me how the one former Yale defensive player seemed almost villian like and misremembered himself as making a hit on a key play when the game footage (which is intermixed in the film) clearly showed him on the other side of the field.

Watched Oldboy the other night. Holy #### was it good. An Evening With Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder was another recent watch, pretty funny. Seasons 4,5, and 6 of Penn and Teller's Bull#### are available instantly, all good.

I like documentaries a lot and enjoyed two of six or seven I've watched the past few weeks.

The Stone Reader

Nerdcore Rising

I like documentaries a lot and enjoyed two of six or seven I've watched the past few weeks.The Stone ReaderNerdcore Rising
What are these about? ...briefly
The Stone Reader is about a guy who picked back up a book he never finished, ends up becoming obsessed with it and everything involving the author. The Author never wrote another book and it's his journey finding him and nearly everything else to do with the book.Nerdcore Rising is a doc following the first tour of a group of geeks in support of the inventor of "Nerdish" hip hop. It's fun and light, nothing hard hitting.

good thread

haven't seen synecdoche, but in my queue

same with traitor

omega man & boy and his dog (cheesy sci-fi)

assault on precinct 13 (carpenter original)

the mack (blaxploitation)

ken burns 10 disc documentary on the history of jazz

I am probably just a few decades behind but I found Druken Master on there this past week and enjoyed it.

The Stripped Documentary wasn't bad..

Its about a girl who decided to become a stripper and her friends.

BBC America used to (still does?) carry this. Saw several episodes & agree that it's very good.Eta: BBCA also used to run a show called "Jonathan Creek" 5 or 6 years ago. It was sort of an updating of Agatha Christie/Sherlock Holmes where a brilliant eccentric (I think he was a magician) solves crimes. Well done and entertaining if you like that sort of program.

Bigger Faster Stronger

King of Kong

Big Lebowski

Great Outdoors

Apocolypto

No Country for Old Men

Gonzo

Fear and Loathing

A League of Ordinary Gentleman

I Can Paint That

Inside Deep Throat

Enron

Cocaine Cowboys

Groundhog Day

What about Bob

Carlito's Way

Waterboy

Forrest Gump

Terminator

Rocky

Batman

Domino

Pineapple Express

Ace ventura

Braveheart

Cocaine Cowboys 2

Malcom X

Shawshank

Buy the Ticket Take the ride

The Office

Stand up

Kat Williams

Zack Galifinakis

Daniel Tosh

I also just added a bunch of best of SNL

Bigger Faster StrongerKing of KongBig LebowskiGreat OutdoorsApocolyptoNo Country for Old MenGonzoFear and LoathingA League of Ordinary GentlemanI Can Paint ThatInside Deep ThroatEnronCocaine CowboysGroundhog DayWhat about BobCarlito's WayWaterboyForrest GumpTerminatorRockyBatmanDominoPineapple ExpressAce venturaBraveheartCocaine Cowboys 2Malcom XShawshankBuy the Ticket Take the rideThe OfficeStand upKat Williams Zack GalifinakisDaniel ToshI also just added a bunch of best of SNL
Gold star for you today. Nice list.

Primer

I suggest watching it two or three times to catch everything you miss.

Quite by accident, an engineer builds a machine that can transport the user back in time. But his discovery comes with an ominous caveat: At the heart of this puzzling device, nothing is as it seems on the surface. David Sullivan and Shane Carruth co-star in this Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Prize winner, a film whose inventive narrative blends a patchwork story line with overlapping streams of dialogue that help build tension and suspense

The State Within -- this is a 7 part BBC series about a terrorist attack and the diplomacy and subterfuge that goes with it. I got up to episode 3, and then went back to the first episode to review. There are several plotlines going on that will eventually converge. I've been kinda surprised by the quality of this one. Enjoying it a lot, but gotta pay attention.

Bought the Roku player, love it.

Roku

Definitely going to fill my queue with these suggestions. Looking forward to seeing Lost, I have never seen one episode despite great reviews.

Roku

Definitely going to fill my queue with these suggestions. Looking forward to seeing Lost, I have never seen one episode despite great reviews.
I was looking at this and it looks very cool. Does anyone know how the XBox compares as a movie download/player? Does it look and act the same? Is compatability and hook up as easy? Any difference in picture? If I can get the same ease and functionality I will go for the combo deal XBox.

Roku

I was looking at this and it looks very cool. Does anyone know how the XBox compares as a movie download/player? Does it look and act the same? Is compatability and hook up as easy? Any difference in picture? If I can get the same ease and functionality I will go for the combo deal XBox.
Also curious about the Roku. Is the setup simple with wireless internet? Just find the network and connect?

Dexter Season 1 & 2 & Californication season 1 are available for streaming for free in HD. Highly recommend those.

A bit hokey, but I liked Legend of the Seeker season 1. A show that is really improved by watching in HD since it's filmed in New Zealand. Amazing visuals.

The original Star Trek series updated for HD are available as well.

Tons of movies, tv shows and documentaries. I like to just randomly scroll thru every once in a while to see what new things are on there.

Please See Mine said:
Binky The Doormat said:
Balco said:

Roku

Also curious about the Roku. Is the setup simple with wireless internet? Just find the network and connect?
Yes, its buttsimple to hookup and use. I even hooked one up for my parents in their 80s and they can figure out how to use it.THey have a new hi-def one I bought yesterday on their half price sale. I will report back whether it is worth the extra $$. THe pic on the basic one is very good.

Also, some models of blurays have the netflix capability - I think my Samsung does. They cost more but then u do not need a Roku. On the other hand the Roku has some extra internet functionality- for example the last month of baseball season, I was able to stream my mlb account thru it to watch baseball games. I do not know if thye will let me do that again next year.

Please See Mine said:
Binky The Doormat said:
Balco said:

Roku

Believe me, I am clueless when it comes to setting things up. I have a wireless router, and this setup took me about 5 minutes, no problem.Rumor has it they are increasing channels as well. Right now there is an Amazon.com on demand where watching a movie costs .99 to 1.99. And I also see they have MLB station, I think I will definitely be interested in that.

I looked at horror at my recent cable bill, so I cut out landline, and went to expanded basic. Roku is completely worth it. I have the 8.99 netflix plan (cheapest that lets you get unlimited streaming), and I get 1 movie out at a time. Saved about 50 bucks a month on my old bill with DVR, box rental, digital package . . . etc. Don't miss it at all.

Please See Mine said:
Binky The Doormat said:
Balco said:

Roku

Also, some models of blurays have the netflix capability - I think my Samsung does. They cost more but then u do not need a Roku. On the other hand the Roku has some extra internet functionality- for example the last month of baseball season, I was able to stream my mlb account thru it to watch baseball games. I do not know if thye will let me do that again next year.
Does MLB have an internet package to watch streamed games? Is it significantly cheaper than their tv package? I was very happy to see the channel pop up on my roku, and if the price is right, I definitely plan on subscribing.

I bought this blu ray player and I'm really happy with the netflix streaming. I was looking to get a blu ray anyway so this made the most sense. I'm not a gamer so the xbox and PS3 wasn't really necessary. It was on sale for $130 last week, I'm waiting for another sale to get one as a gift. Even at $200 it probably makes sense if you're looking for a blu ray and netflix streaming.

I bought this blu ray player and I'm really happy with the netflix streaming. I was looking to get a blu ray anyway so this made the most sense. I'm not a gamer so the xbox and PS3 wasn't really necessary. It was on sale for $130 last week, I'm waiting for another sale to get one as a gift. Even at $200 it probably makes sense if you're looking for a blu ray and netflix streaming.
Yeah, so why should anyone buy a roku instead of a netflix-streaming-enabled blu-ray? Roku is cheaper, but most of us will probably be buying a blu-ray sooner or later right? (Well, maybe not if streaming/on-demand continues to expand.)Does the roku have anything that the blu-ray doesn't?

Yeah, so why should anyone buy a roku instead of a netflix-streaming-enabled blu-ray? Roku is cheaper, but most of us will probably be buying a blu-ray sooner or later right? (Well, maybe not if streaming/on-demand continues to expand.)Does the roku have anything that the blu-ray doesn't?
This looks like a good one.

It's cheaper, and I've heard good things about the interface with Netflix. I have no problem with the interface on the blu ray I bought, but maybe the Roku is better somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread