What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

Started Broadchurch season 3 last night - just a quality show, good writing, good acting.  

MILLLLLLLLLLLEERRRRRRRRRR!
Nice.  I finished season 2 a while back. Didn't even see there was a third season. I'll add to my queue (assuming it's on Netflix up here in the Great White North.

For those with a 2-4 year old at home - Cars 3 is now available for streaming.

Anyone watched the Dirty Money episodes?  How are they?

A Futile and Stupid Gesture

Highly recommend this bopic. It's the story of the two guys that worked on the Harvard Lampoon and went on to write National Lampoon, Animal House, and Caddyshack. Not perfect by any means, but I laughed out loud enough and enjoyed the characters. Good stuff.

Altered Carbon available starting today. I expect to be finished with it when Mute starts on 2/23.  Loving the recent sci-fi/fantasy surge on my streaming media sources.
Previews do look cool....I just don't want a huge insurgence of GFY in my nightly TV.

Watched a TV show this weekend called Good Morning - Call.  It was a Japanese romantic comedy I'd call it about two HS students (male - female) who are scammed in both being leased an apartment where they inevitably decide to share the rent and live together.  While it was to be expected coming out of Japan (cutesy, very proper, etc.), I found it very enjoyable.  Season 2 they are in college.  Maybe it struck a chord for me because my oldest loves Japan (she was there on student exchange a year ago for six months) but I really enjoyed it.  The lead actress Haruka Fukuhara has a wonderful smile and reminds me of Anne Hathaway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5520732/

Two episodes in. This show is unlike anything I've ever seen. Amazing.
:bag:

I went all in. Binged the everloving crap out of it after the wife declared no interest... And there are a LOT of episodes.

It's good. Really good. Stays at a high level though out. Will need to sit and think on it for a bit to feel if there's anything genuinely transcendent. Upon finishing and without much reflection, I'm thinking no. But that doesn't diminish the consistent high quality across the board. Just the history involved was fascinating, and they do an amazing job immersing you in the era, but with some fun maybe magical realism callouts to contemporary. 

Look forward to talking some more about it when more of you have finished

:bag:

I went all in. Binged the everloving crap out of it after the wife declared no interest... And there are a LOT of episodes.

It's good. Really good. Stays at a high level though out. Will need to sit and think on it for a bit to feel if there's anything genuinely transcendent. Upon finishing and without much reflection, I'm thinking no. But that doesn't diminish the consistent high quality across the board. Just the history involved was fascinating, and they do an amazing job immersing you in the era, but with some fun maybe magical realism callouts to contemporary. 

Look forward to talking some more about it when more of you have finished
I mean just that song and dance sequence in episode 2 was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Altered Carbon is $$$. If this was on HBO or Showtime people wouldn't shut up about it, with the lack of good sci-fi TV. 

No, it's not GoT or BB.

But it's really good. Like a mash-up of John Wick and Westworld or something.

It's futuristic detective noir. Plenty of action, high-concept sci-fi tech in a world split between the absurdly wealthy and the gutter-living poor, plenty of nudity for you fellas, and the usual main character for this type of story who takes a licking and keeps on ticking. 

We haven't finished it yet but I was surprised how quickly it sucked us in.

We first tried one episode of Godless and one episode of The Colony (surprise: Carl's mom doesn't know where her son is in another show). Bored to tears. Then this one grabbed us right away and the CGI is top notch too. 

Altered Carbon is $$$. If this was on HBO or Showtime people wouldn't shut up about it, with the lack of good sci-fi TV. 

No, it's not GoT or BB.

But it's really good. Like a mash-up of John Wick and Westworld or something.

It's futuristic detective noir. Plenty of action, high-concept sci-fi tech in a world split between the absurdly wealthy and the gutter-living poor, plenty of nudity for you fellas, and the usual main character for this type of story who takes a licking and keeps on ticking. 

We haven't finished it yet but I was surprised how quickly it sucked us in.

We first tried one episode of Godless and one episode of The Colony (surprise: Carl's mom doesn't know where her son is in another show). Bored to tears. Then this one grabbed us right away and the CGI is top notch too. 
We watched ep1... I think we were both really sleepy- didn't grab either of us (wife or I)... something seemed a little off- maybe the acting. but still interested and definitely wanted to give it a better shot. covers a lot of my favorite sci-fi themes so far, and spins some new ideas in there too.

We watched ep1... I think we were both really sleepy- didn't grab either of us (wife or I)... something seemed a little off- maybe the acting. but still interested and definitely wanted to give it a better shot. covers a lot of my favorite sci-fi themes so far, and spins some new ideas in there too.
The interesting themes and world definitely help elevate some otherwise forgettable performances. The main guy is pretty good--the minute I saw him verbally sparring with Spacey a couple seasons ago on House of Cards I knew Netflix would give him a show. The lady cop is probably the biggest weak link and she gets better. This genre has cliche character tropes that this show definitely abuses (the obsessive cop who won't back down or listen to her superiors, the PI who won't stay down, is self-destructive, and is emotionally unavailable), but rather than detract from it I think that bit of narrative familiarity helps ground the viewer, letting you spend your time thinking about the moral, ethical, and practical implications of the kind of technology and society the show puts in front of you. 

It's not a masterpiece but so far it's had some good twists, great action, and cool sci-fi themes.

Finished it last night. Really liked it. Lots of hot nudity which is a bonus. The story got a little twisted for me the last several episodes but if there's a season two, I'm in

I like the concept, but wavering on watching it because I hate the lead actor.  Every movie or TV show he's in is worse because he's in it.

I like the concept, but wavering on watching it because I hate the lead actor.  Every movie or TV show he's in is worse because he's in it.

He hasn't been in much that I have seen, from his IMDB profile. Just House of Cards, as the guy running against Spacey. Looks like he was in that terrible Suicide Squad movie that was a complete mess, and The Killing which I never got around to watching, but I thought people liked that.

You sure you're not mixing him up with the Skarsgard guy from True Blood? He's pretty bad. and my girlfriend mixed them up originally. This guy seems good for this role.

He hasn't been in much that I have seen, from his IMDB profile. Just House of Cards, as the guy running against Spacey. Looks like he was in that terrible Suicide Squad movie that was a complete mess, and The Killing which I never got around to watching, but I thought people liked that.

You sure you're not mixing him up with the Skarsgard guy from True Blood? He's pretty bad. and my girlfriend mixed them up originally. This guy seems good for this role.
Eric Northman looks nothing like Rick Flagg 

Rake, the Aussie version, is good tv. Someone give it a watch. I may watch it twice.

The Break was pretty good, but I'm a sucker for crime drama/police procedurals. And thanks to Netflix I prefer anything but stories based in the US.  The Frozen Dead was pretty bad and I followed it with La Mante, which of course was about ANOTHER imprisoned serial killer helping investigate a copycat. It's better written and acted than most and worth a watch, but the topic needs to be canned for a decade. Retribution got off to a good start, so I read up a little. One and done; it didn't get picked up for a second season, but I'm in for a binge. 

But I kinda liked Bright... so you're saying i should watch this, right?
If you wanna watch a boring space movie with almost no cool science fiction elements, a dumb plot, has no antagonist, and was almost funnier than scary go for it.

There's a reason this movie is on Netflix and not in theaters.

I watched the Cloverfield Paradox last night.  I liked it.  You could tell that it was a movie that got some Cloverfield stuff pasted on to it to tie it in and get people to watch it, but I thought it was good.  It had some really creepy scenes without being outright horror, and it had a jaw dropping scene for me when they opened a hatch to see what was making a sound.  I'm glad I watched it.

shadyridr said:
Just watched Cloverfield Paradox. Don't waste your time. Horrible. Wish I could get that time back. Worse than Bright.
Thanks, was going to tonight.  Loved the first one.  Was blah about the second. 

A Futile and Stupid Gesture

Highly recommend this bopic. It's the story of the two guys that worked on the Harvard Lampoon and went on to write National Lampoon, Animal House, and Caddyshack. Not perfect by any means, but I laughed out loud enough and enjoyed the characters. Good stuff.
Watched last night.  Met expectations, which weren't totally high.  Interesting to see some of the cameos (specifically Mark Metcalf - aka Neidermeyer)

Users who are viewing this thread