What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (11 Viewers)

Anyone watching Glitch?  It’s Australian series where 6 corpses come back to life including he dead ex of the local cop who finds them in he graveyard. I have no idea where it’s going but and I have no real opinion after two episodes but my wife likes it so it’s what we are watching. 
We watched both seasons. It's ok.

Been muddling through season 2 of Stranger Things. Not really enjoying it a ton so there have been long gaps between watching episodes. Finally got to episode 7 "The Lost Sister" last night and it sucked me back in. I was done with the show until this episode, we'll see how it finishes out :popcorn:  

jdoggydogg said:
Does Altered Carbon get better after episode one?

Yes, especially if the sci fi aspects interest you but you thought the execution could be better. Though I remember liking episode one plenty. 

If you don't like it at all or the mythology of it isn't sucking you in, it's not going to get better for you.

Yes, especially if the sci fi aspects interest you but you thought the execution could be better. Though I remember liking episode one plenty. 

If you don't like it at all or the mythology of it isn't sucking you in, it's not going to get better for you.
It's a cool idea, just some weak acting at points.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying...

Been muddling through season 2 of Stranger Things. Not really enjoying it a ton so there have been long gaps between watching episodes. Finally got to episode 7 "The Lost Sister" last night and it sucked me back in. I was done with the show until this episode, we'll see how it finishes out :popcorn:  
Lol that was the absolute worst episode of season 2

matttyl said:
You don't see a conflict of interest there - that the producers of the products which *may* have a link to cancer, diabetes and heart disease would be major funders of the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, and the American Diabetes Association?  Not saying there is, but it does give you pause.  There are lots of places that those companies could donate for tax purposes and goodwill - so why there specifically?  The thought is that it gives them control on the information that those agencies release - like how/why the American Diabetes Association would have a recipe for "Bacon wrapped shrimp" on their "My Food Advisor - Recipes for health living page" when processed meats like bacon are a known risk for diabetes
As for motive, maybe they want to help find a cure for these diseases so that fat people can live longer and buy cheeseburgers and cheesy poofs for another decade. Seems to fit with the general theme of corporate America...kinda good, kinda evil.  :shrug:

Finished Retribution. Eh, nothing great but I'm glad I watched it. Surprisingly decent writing and better acting. Only 4 episodes to the whole thing and it ties up all loose ends.

Finished Season 1 of Tin Star last night. They renewed for a 2nd Season, but having a hard time seeing it go more than that if they keep on the trajectory of this year.

Funny, you might be the only person in this thread that liked that episode so that should give you an idea of what to expect coming up.

Started Altered Carbon last night, liked it, thanks for the recommendations guys!

Funny, you might be the only person in this thread that liked that episode so that should give you an idea of what to expect coming up.
Yeah I seem to be in the Minority on this one. I'm just not liking a lot of the characters and/or acting. I like Dustin, 11 and Hopper thats about it. I liked the episode because it expanded the world a bit, knowing that there could be 10 other special kids out there was kind of cool. The acting continued to be pretty meh though, especially the girl that played the sister. 

Altered Carbon has some excellent effects and story.

But it has two big problems: the acting is mediocre and it's so derivative of The Matrix I half expected Morpheus to walk into a scene.

Finished Season 1 of Tin Star last night. They renewed for a 2nd Season, but having a hard time seeing it go more than that if they keep on the trajectory of this year.
I agree. Not sure where they go from here.

The series wasn't great but I enjoyed it. I think part of that is Tim Roth is so great. And his wife was good too.

Altered Carbon has some excellent effects and story.

But it has two big problems: the acting is mediocre and it's so derivative of The Matrix I half expected Morpheus to walk into a scene.
The only real derivative is the transfer to other bodies and virtual constructs.  Not much intersection beyond that.  I will say that I am disappointed overall with the TV show, they really monkey'd around with the story from the book.  Keeping the same overall theme but changing some characters dynamically.

I've only see Ep1 so far as well. It was OK. The fight scene at the Raven Hotel was cool so I'll probably try Ep2 but it's a fairly short leash. I've got Babylon Berlin and Dark in queue if AC doesn't pick up.

jdoggydogg said:
I nearly bailed after the first two, then it picked up for a few episodes and I figured I'd be in it to the end.  After the kids were in bed last night, I watched mixed doubles curling instead. Not sure why, but thumbs are trending downward again. 

Watched Cloverfield and thought it was worth watching.. like others said kind of had a Event Horizon meets Alien meets Cloverfield vibe going.

Have to figure they have at least one more "Cloverfield" in them as we need to bring all 3 together into one big battle against "those things" ... :popcorn:
The 4th doesn't sound like it will tie anything together - it's set in WWII.  Remember the guy explaining the Cloverfield Paradox and saying that it could mess up time?  The theory is that a kaiju got sent back to WWII France.

Speaking of Amazon Prime shows (Tin Star), I started Black Spot last night (French so subtitles again). Two episodes went by fast enough for me to be in for a binge this weekend. The Black Spot is a remote mountainous region of France almost off the grid with a murder rate 6 times the national average. The forest is filmed so creepy and beautiful that it's a main character. The main character is a young female detective who was almost a murder victim. I'm guessing each episode has her working a new crime all the while getting closer to what happened to her. It won some award for best pilot so... 

Watched Cloverfield and thought it was worth watching.. like others said kind of had a Event Horizon meets Alien meets Cloverfield vibe going.

Have to figure they have at least one more "Cloverfield" in them as we need to bring all 3 together into one big battle against "those things" ... :popcorn:
The 4th doesn't sound like it will tie anything together - it's set in WWII.  Remember the guy explaining the Cloverfield Paradox and saying that it could mess up time?  The theory is that a kaiju got sent back to WWII France.
Disappointing that they wouldn't close the loop...  but at the same time intrigued. :popcorn:

The only real derivative is the transfer to other bodies and virtual constructs.  Not much intersection beyond that.  I will say that I am disappointed overall with the TV show, they really monkey'd around with the story from the book.  Keeping the same overall theme but changing some characters dynamically.
I hear you. Maybe I'll walk back my assertion that Altered Carbon is derivative of The Matrix this way:

The first Matrix had some very serious themes and set pieces, but the movie was so tight and well made, it all flowed and never felt overwrought. Whereas the third Matrix movie was ponderous and dreary. Altered Carbon reminds me of the third Matrix film in that regard.

jdoggydogg said:
It's meh, story gets a little muddy, there's some seriously CW-bad level of acting, and the "mystery" isn't all that interesting.  Some visuals are kind of cool.  I like the idea of the show more than the show itself.

Crow eating time: Kinnaman isn't the worst thing about this. He does what he can with the material he's given ("look brooding, smoke")

KarmaPolice said:
Hell yeah!  Sure, it's man soap opera, but I loved the hell out of the show.  (Except for S3).   I just saw there is a spin off coming soon about a rival club too. 
I can't remember why season three is supposed to be bad.

KarmaPolice said:
Hell yeah!  Sure, it's man soap opera, but I loved the hell out of the show.  (Except for S3).   I just saw there is a spin off coming soon about a rival club too. 
And don't forget the final season was a total  :tfp:

Watched the Doc on Joe Cocker. 

I liked it a lot but seemed it could have been little better put together. There seemed to be a gap where he fell off the planet and then one day out of nowhere his former mates get in their car and hear him on the radio singing “You Are So Beautiful”, but there was little discussion about how that recording came to be. 

Other than that, the recurring theme from these music documentaries is clear.  Lots of drugs and alcohol, and lots of scumbags in the music management and recording industry.  

KarmaPolice said:
You go for biker shows, but don't like the mafia genre???  :unsure:

Anyone watch GLOW

Yes it's a show about the gorgeous ladies of wrestling....a show I loved :bag:

But Allison Brie topless is worth the first episode

Eta: searched the thread and see I'm late for this :)
I am two episodes in and I am really enjoying it.

But I was disappointed in the topless scene. They looked weird

badmojo1006 said:
I am two episodes in and I am really enjoying it.

But I was disappointed in the topless scene. They looked weird
They are definitely playing down Brie's looks big time. I get it, it's the character and she's doing a good job with it, still a smoke show though :wub:  

"Muppet Treasure Island" with the family this weekend. It's as good as any Muppet film, certainly, and quite possibly their best. Tim Curry is a hoot in this! More Gonzo and Rizzo than expected with slightly less Kermit, Fozzie and Piggy. Somehow it all works. 

avoiding injuries said:
The TV show “Taken” was recommended for me. I did two episodes last night. Lots of action and bad acting. 

Anyone watched this?
Rollo is the lead on there right? I saw the opening for season 2.... I think.... which was pretty cool.... then I got busy and didn't see much at all.

Rollo is the lead on there right? I saw the opening for season 2.... I think.... which was pretty cool.... then I got busy and didn't see much at all.
Holy cow...I had no idea that was Rollo. I loved Rollo in Vikings but strongly dislike him as Mills. 

This may give me a new perspective, right or not. 

I'm actually liking Wormwood, but I'm a documentary fiend and especially love secret government projects and mindcontrol and drugs.  There only seems to be a few min of "docudrama" parts per ep.  Most of it is the guy's son speaking in an interview and some video/photo-montages of him investigating and meeting with players over the years.  Glad I finally gave it a chance. 

If you like hip hop / rap especially old school.

Hip Hop Evolution is a great documentary series
808 on Amazon Prime is a great documentary as well about the Roland 808 drum machine.  It covers early electronica and new wave, but plenty of hip hop.

Users who are viewing this thread