What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (16 Viewers)

Altered carbon gets a thumbs up.  Has some cringe worthy moments, but it's good overall.  The lead actress is...wow.

Medici:. Masters of Florence gets a "not bad" but they rushed the end which hurt. 
The first time she shows up she didn't look very impressive but she has a mighty nice body going on.
huh. she's fit and has big fake boobs... but she didn't really do much for me. and her the acting was soo bad, it distracted from getting into her, even when nekkid.

We are almost through Everything Sucks. It’s just ok, IMO. I graduated HS in 1995, so this should be right in my wheelhouse. I’m interested in the Luke/Kate storyline and not much else. Luke is the best character by far on the show. Kid can act ?
I enjoyed it.  92 grad so a lot of the music and fashions gave me a smile.  Thought it nicely captured the confusing feelings and obliviousness you can have at that age "A likes B, B likes C and D likes C, E likes F but F is pissed friends are leaving F due to their crushes and doesnt realize E is there, and G likes G"

Working my way through Dirty Money.  Hit or miss so far, and obviously I have huge hopes for The Great Maple Syrup Heist. 

Beyond that I'm just amazed at the depth of Netflix offerings that they can get six Alex Gibney documentaries go up simultaneously and have it barely register. We're spoiled.

I'm watching Jack Taylor. It's just good enough to make me want to finish a season. The first episode was my least favorite of the 6 I've watched. If you prefer crime dramas you might like it just enough. If that's not particularly a preference, you'll miss nothing by passing.

5 episodes through Dark thanks to folks in here. Had to watch with Wiki episode synopsi open for the last few to try to keep all of the characters straight.  The big reveal about Mikkel kinda blew my mind last night.  In a good way.  Totally hooked at this point. 

Started Luke Cage yesterday. It is ok. Not loving it but do not dislike it. Best scene was them doing a flashback of his origin story and coming out looking like the comic book version and looking at his reflection and saying "I look like a damn fool".

Fun nod to the comic book.

The Mist

NOT good.

Contrived family tension, bogus religion versus nature conflict, drug addition, and shoehorned/stereotypical gay angst added to nothing interesting happening.

https://youtu.be/doFpACkiZ2Q

Derren Brown: The Push I Official Trailer [HD] I Netflix

Psychological Illusionist Derren Brown makes his much-anticipated US debut with the groundbreaking special The Push, which premieres on Netflix February 27. In The Push, Brown exposes the psychological secrets of obedience and social compliance. He expertly lifts the lid on the terrifying truth that, when confronted with authority, our natural instinct is to unflinchingly obey without question – to such an extent that even the most moral people can be made to commit the most horrendous acts, simply because they are told to do so.
My wife and I watched this tonight.  Whoa...  recommend.

"A Serious Man" is another middlin' Coen Bros project. I think they missed the mark with this one. I know they're working through some ideas on this but it doesn't quite connect. Maybe more slapstick or absurdist humor would have helped. It was just a solid "meh" for me.

"Boss Baby" was a hit with my 8-year old. 

Finally finished the WW2 period show "Manhattan" and I liked it very much. If you can find joy in watching intrigue among scientists building atomic bomb then this is the show for you. Good acting and solid writing. Only 23 episodes over 2 seasons. Hulu only.

"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" is also on Hulu. I have a love-hate relationship with Douglas Adams but I enjoyed DG books back in the day. This series adaptation is reasonably well done and captures his humor without being too English-y. It took a few episodes to hit its stride.

"Patriot" on Amazon Prime. Kind of a fun take on the world of CIA. Only like 2 episodes in but I'm enjoying it.

I noticed Icarus won the Oscar for best documentary.    It's on Netflix and I thought it was very good.  According to the search feature, you guys haven't discussed it yet.

I have a question for those that have seen it.

Why the hell did the Russian agree to talk and help him in the first place?  That seemed so dangerous in his situation.

I was a big fan of the UK version and didn't even make it through the first season of the US one because I thought it was a poor remake. I tried again when they started the second season and liked it more and stayed with it.
I thought the British version was very well done and liked it better than the U.S. version.  Ricky Gervais was so good.

eta. Talking about The Office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently binged Godless and Dark.  Both are fantastic, albeit in completely different ways.

Anxiously looking forward to Dark Season 2.

Network TV and paid programming really stand no chance in the future against Netflix.

I thought the British version was very well done and liked it better than the U.S. version.  Ricky Gervais was so good.

eta. Talking about The Office.
The US version never clicked with me. I loved Gervais in that role and thought the entire cast was pretty fantastic with the material. I'm finding myself less enamored of Gervais since but still think Merchant is great. 

Users who are viewing this thread