Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

Just watched first season of Bloodline. Some really, really great moments. Didn’t even realized there were more seasons. Read some stuff I didn’t want to looking at this thread.

Will still watch the next season despite some of the bad things I read.

The guy who plays Danny really knocked it out of the park. Excellent job from that dude.

Slight nitpick they could have tried to get actors that at least looked semi-related. The siblings didn’t look remotely similar. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever invented the skip intro button, we salute you

Wife and I just added HBO Max. Started watching this little known show, think it's called Game of Thrones or something. Guess it's based on a book. Almost through the first season, which has been grea

I know this is the NetFlix tread but for me, it's an "All things Streaming Thread".

These three all on HBO:

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

I am undecided if I really liked this.  It's not something I have any interest in going back and watching a second time. I learned a few things about Shandling.  The impact on him of his brothers passing, and also the impact on his mother and how the impact on his mother impacted him.  He seemed like a guy that was always searching for happiness and seemed like when he reached his goal of what would make him happy, it was a huge let down.  He seemed like a tough guy to work for, and a tough guy to be friends with. It's a deep documentary, with some good laughs, not a lot.  Some of the funniest stuff cam from comments made at his memorial service in the final minutes. It was probably too long and more depressing than I was expecting.  Overall, I liked this ok, but disappointed.

Paterno

I need watch this again to get a better understanding of what was going on.  Some scenes I was watching and I was thinking, "wait....what did he just say?" and "wait.....did he really just say that?"  I haven't read too much into the background of the production as to how factual it is, or who was involved with producing.  In my opinion it makes Paterno look like very detached from everything except whoever he was preparing to play on Saturday.  I liked that it only covers a 10-14 day span, I did expect a little more background on Sandusky. I liked the point of view of reporter Sara Ganim. Over all I liked this a lot. 

Andre the Giant

Really great story of the first guy I remember watching wrestle on TV back in the early 70's.  Along with Haystack Calhoun and Chief Jay Strongbow. It was really well produced and a story told really well. Bill Simmons doing what he does best.  The guy had a lot of highs and lows, but I gather he took what life gave him and made the best of it. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

I started the Dr Foster recommendation out of boredom. Not a topic or genre I would normally watch, infidelity soap opera sort of thing and all, but I have to find out what she does that caused some of the comments in this thread. The writing is good if not predictable. The acting is solid. 

Supposed to be based on greek story of Medea, right?

1 hour ago, saintfool said:

Supposed to be based on greek story of Medea, right?

Maybe more like Medea is the writer's muse.

I debated a little last night if I was in for season 2. So far the answer is no. Still enjoyed the slow roll, writing and acting. The actual story? Meh, guess not for me.

Edited by Chaos Commish
12 hours ago, The General said:

Just watched first season of Bloodline. Some really, really great moments. Didn’t even realized there were more seasons. Read some stuff I didn’t want to looking at this thread.

Will still watch the next season despite some of the bad things I read.

The guy who plays Danny really knocked it out of the park. Excellent job from that dude.

Slight nitpick they could have tried to get actors that at least looked semi-related. The siblings didn’t look remotely similar. 

Agreed.  He was Danny so much to me that I couldn't take seeing him in Rogue One without a cigarette bouncing in his mouth as he spoke.

• Like 1

Finished the second episode, and into the third of Wild Wild Country.  If this was a book, it would be a page turner for me.  Very interesting at this point.  I don't know how it ends, or where exactly it is going, but is a great watch so far.

What is interesting to me about the filmmaking is they constant "suspensefull" music playing.  I always hear it, and it cues me that something big is about to come, as far as a twist or something like that.  I'll check the time left thinking the epsidoe must about to be over, so they are going to drop a cliffhanger.  Nope, 15 minutes left and they just keep tellling the story.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Agreed.  He was Danny so much to me that I couldn't take seeing him in Rogue One without a cigarette bouncing in his mouth as he spoke.

Agreed.    He's pretty fantastic in everything I've seen him in.   I enjoyed his role in Place Beyond The Pines.  If anyone happens to remember the "Ride The Lightning" line (Gosling also happens to be wearing the Ride The Lightning album cover t-shirt during this scene, ha) Mendelsohn apparently threw it in there on the fly.   

2 hours ago, James Daulton said:

Dr. Foster season 1 was a solid watch.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

We watched Ep1 based on the recs in here. I'm not getting it. Does something more happen soon? Not inclined to continue based on the pilot

5 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Was Wild, Wild Country already discussed in here or did I miss the boat?

I think it was mentioned previously in this thread, which is what prompted me to start watching.  I don't know to what extent because I skipped the post to avoid spoilers.

What show should I start next? Something for me and my wife. She likes about 95% of the same things I do. None of these seem like great options. We don't binge so it takes us a couple of months to get through a typical season so it needs to be really good to hold our interest. 

• The Terror - Looks visually amazing, is the shipwreck the only location? 
  • Goliath -  We're both Billy Bob fans but he isn't always great.
  • Wild Wild Country -  Most likely option
  • Babylon Berlin - Subtitles are a tough sell for the wife, needs to be great to overcome them.
  • Dark - we weren't fans of Stranger Things fwiw
  • Godless - I could go for a western but it can't be too slow. Considering rewatching Deadwood since she never saw it
  • Bloodline - Seems a little slow from previews and I've heard the bad reviews of the final season, especially the way it ends.
4 hours ago, James Daulton said:

Dr. Foster season 1 was a solid watch.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

You're welcome  :)  Glad someone else enjoyed.

The 2nd season is far behind season 1.  After 3 of the 5 episodes, I was actually ready to quit it.  And then the last 2 episodes took off and it ended really well and is worth the finish.  Not quite as good as season 1, but still very good. 

Edited by gianmarco

For those who don't have time to browse the 259 pages of this excellent thread, I thought I'd take a cut at summarizing at least the last 8 pages of it. I'm listing the shows in rough order of FBG preference with IMDB scores and, for the ones I've watched, my personal thoughts:

Peaky Blinders, 8.8, excellent show
Narcos, 8.9, excellent
Justified (A-Prime), 8.6
Wild Wild Country, 8.5
Babylon Berlin, 8.5
Money Heist, 8.8
Halt and Catch Fire, 8.3
Wind River, 7.8, very good movie
Dark, 8.7
Black Mirror, 8.9, Watched several, mostly great but a couple strange episodes
Ozark, 8.3, great, love Linney and Bateman
The Punisher, 8.7, great show
Mindhunter, 8.6
The Crown, 8.7, very good
The Take (A-Prime), 7.9, watched first two episodes - great so far
Stranger Things, 8.9, starts great but fades a little
The Terror, 8.6
Godless, 8.4, very good
Bosch (A-Prime), 8.3
Jessica Jones, 8.1, great, season 1 is better
Daredevil, 8.7, very good
Sneaky Pete (A-Prime), 8.3
Bloodline, 8.1, very good, fades a little
Collateral, 6.7, solid show
Into the Badlands, 8.1
The Iron Giant, 8.0
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, 7.6
Icarus, 8.0
Santa Clarita Diet, 7.8, I like it
Flint Town, 8.1
The Tunnel (A-Prime), 7.8
Luke Cage, 7.5, liked it
The Alienist, 7.8
Doctor Foster, 7.8
Seven Seconds, 7.7
Iron Fist, 6.8, weakest Marvel show

DO NOT WATCH:
Under the Dome, 6.7
The Mist, 5.4
The Titan, 4.9

• Like 8
2 hours ago, jamny said:

What show should I start next? Something for me and my wife. She likes about 95% of the same things I do. None of these seem like great options. We don't binge so it takes us a couple of months to get through a typical season so it needs to be really good to hold our interest. 

• Babylon Berlin - Subtitles are a tough sell for the wife, needs to be great to overcome them.
  • Godless - I could go for a western but it can't be too slow. Considering rewatching Deadwood since she never saw it
  • Bloodline - Seems a little slow from previews and I've heard the bad reviews of the final season, especially the way it ends.

Bloodline isn't that "slow" for the 1st season, but definitely goes "slow burn" with the rest. Still enjoyed it.

I really liked Godless, but it is not all action and is a "slow burn"... But it has some beautiful scenario and the story line was very enjoyable.

If you like Time travel type shows I like Travelers, but think Continuum was highly under rated.

And Wentworth, IMO, is much better then Orange is the new Black.

:)

Edited by snogger
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jamny said:

I'm loving Dark 4 episodes in but it's tough to recommend based on your qualifications.  I suppose you can watch it dubbed if you're a filthy heathen.  It's darker than Stranger Things IMO but in the same genre.  

Edited by Nick Vermeil
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jamny said:

I see no correlation between Dark and Stranger Things.

Dark is like if Stanley Kubrick directed David Lynch's version of Back to the Future.  It's awesome.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

We watched Ep1 based on the recs in here. I'm not getting it. Does something more happen soon? Not inclined to continue based on the pilot

Ya, lots more happens.  It's not fantastic but it's a very solid watch.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jamny said:

have you seen Ozark on Netflix? What about Fargo (the TV series)? Season 1-2 of Fargo is on Hulu.

If you like BBT I would highly recommend Goliath.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Lost in Space looks pretty good

Watched the first 5 minutes before heading out this morning just to check on it. 

Will binge watch.

3 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I'm loving Dark 4 episodes in but it's tough to recommend based on your qualifications.  I suppose you can watch it dubbed if you're a filthy heathen.  It's darker than Stranger Things IMO but in the same genre.  

I would only watch it with subtitles or not at all.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shuke said:

I see no correlation between Dark and Stranger Things.

Dark is like if Stanley Kubrick directed David Lynch's version of Back to the Future.  It's awesome.

Well that's an encouraging description! I don't know anything about the show but saw comparisons to Stranger Things a few times.

58 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

have you seen Ozark on Netflix? What about Fargo (the TV series)? Season 1-2 of Fargo is on Hulu.

If you like BBT I would highly recommend Goliath.

We've seen Ozark and Fargo and liked them both a lot. Glad to hear you liked Goliath. BBT can pick some clunkers so I get a little leery of some of the things he's in. No doubt he can carry a show though.

5 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Rectify is a great show, but it's not action-packed if that's what some are looking for. However, it has some of the best acting and writing I've ever seen on TV.

I've probably already said this in here, but that show did an amazing job of creating a character I loathed in the beginning of the show and turning him into my very favorite by the end.

Teddy

Edited by facook
  • Like 6
3 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Rectify is a great show, but it's not action-packed if that's what some are looking for. However, it has some of the best acting and writing I've ever seen on TV.

Another good thing is that it doesn't take a huge commitment to watch it all. There's only - what? - like 30 episodes?

2 minutes ago, facook said:

I've probably already said this in here, but that show did an amazing job of creating a character I loathed in the beginning of the show and turning him into my very favorite by the end.

Reveal hidden contents

Teddy

Yep - that one most of all. But all of them changed in ways that felt organic or deserved.

Oh, and obligatory :wub: for Abigail Spencer. 

• Like 2

We're just not into "real life" dramas. They need to have something different about them. Like there's no way we could sit through "This Is Us" judging by anything I've seen of it in commercials.

2 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Yep - that one most of all. But all of them changed in ways that felt organic or deserved.

Oh, and obligatory :wub: for Abigail Spencer. 

Ha ha that's what I kept thinking about Linda Cardellini as Bloodline has been discussed in here.  Such a crush.  Doesn't help that a family friend of ours looks just like her, so much so that my wife and I called her character "Kelly" instead of Meg.  If Kelly ever starts wearing those sundresses like Meg, I'm in trouble.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Agreed, one of the best shows I watched in recent years.

6 hours ago, jamny said:

Bojack Horseman

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jamny said:

We're just not into "real life" dramas. They need to have something different about them. Like there's no way we could sit through "This Is Us" judging by anything I've seen of it in commercials.

This is US seems horrible just from the clips I have seen.

Rectify does have a lot of "different" moments mixed in IMO.

This quote sums it up for me..."It can be a little slow, but your patience will be rewarded by a deep story with complex and engaging characters."

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, jamny said:

OMG, I dozed off during the trailer. I don't need action packed but there is no way that trailer is selling me into watching it.

Thanks though!

Its one of the best shows I've ever seen. But it is REALLY slow.

• Like 1