What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

This quote sums it up for me..."It can be a little slow, but your patience will be rewarded by a deep story with complex and engaging characters."
We have enough complex and engaging characters in our families. We look for an escape from reality from our entertainment. That description does what the trailer for the show did. Not for us.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

I am undecided if I really liked this.  It's not something I have any interest in going back and watching a second time. I learned a few things about Shandling.  The impact on him of his brothers passing, and also the impact on his mother and how the impact on his mother impacted him.  He seemed like a guy that was always searching for happiness and seemed like when he reached his goal of what would make him happy, it was a huge let down.  He seemed like a tough guy to work for, and a tough guy to be friends with. It's a deep documentary, with some good laughs, not a lot.  Some of the funniest stuff cam from comments made at his memorial service in the final minutes. It was probably too long and more depressing than I was expecting.  Overall, I liked this ok, but disappointed.
I'm a huge Shandling fan. Two things are clear: his mother was a narcissist, and she clearly passed that on to her son.

We have enough complex and engaging characters in our families. We look for an escape from reality from our entertainment. That description does what the trailer for the show did. Not for us.
fair enough....maybe watch it sometime in 2025 when you have exhausted all other options! :lol:

This is US seems horrible just from the clips I have seen.

Rectify does have a lot of "different" moments mixed in IMO.

This quote sums it up for me..."It can be a little slow, but your patience will be rewarded by a deep story with complex and engaging characters."
I'm an escapist guy. Most of the books I like are "genre". So are most of the TV shows and films I'm attracted to.

But this show grabbed me. Every single character was - to me - fascinating.

One other thing about this show....... I'm an atheist, but I thought it did the best job I've ever seen on TV in presenting characters who were of faith. Most entertainment media portrays religious folks as either backwards buffoons or genuflects to them (or makes them exotic unicorns if they are of a non-Christian faith). These characters who practice are like people I know.

I have a feeling that this show was an unburdening of some kind for the showrunner Ray McKinnon. He's on my shortlist with Vince Gilligan of people I'll give whatever project they come up with next a good, long shot.

JoeSteeler said:
Lost in Space

eta -trailer for those that haven't seen it
I'd heard good things about this and was a fan of the '60s one  :shrug: . Did a Roku search last weekend for Netflix Lost in Space and got this result . I thought that I had the right show (didn't read anything and didn't know it was really a movie). The first 20 minutes was SO bad, I thought the world had gone off it's rocker. Then somebody told me I had the wrong one, showed me that trailer and all was right in the world again. Had some decent stars too. 

Looking forward to the right one

one of my favs ...season 2 should be sooo good(Charles Manson)
Really? I thought the focus was on the BTK killer. I didn't know anything about him but it was mentioned earlier in the thread. I guess they can have more than one but manson alone seems worth a whole season.

So were the two guys based on real people?

Really? I thought the focus was on the BTK killer. I didn't know anything about him but it was mentioned earlier in the thread. I guess they can have more than one but manson alone seems worth a whole season.

So were the two guys based on real people?
the whole show is based on fact from my understanding...everyone ,both FBI and killers,are real people

the whole show is based on fact from my understanding...everyone ,both FBI and killers,are real people
Cool. I know the killers, at least those in the prison interviews were real. I just thought the 2 main guys were built into the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I know the killers, at least those in the prison interviews were real. I just thought the 2 main guys were built into the story.
So, what’s to come in Mindhunter season two? We already know a few things: Director and executive producer David Fincher told Billboardthat one of the major cases will be the Atlanta child murders of 1979 to 1981, in which a serial killer took the lives of 28 African-Americans, mostly children under the age of 15. In an interview with Vulture, Holt McCallany suggested that the show might feature Charles Manson and David Berkowitz, two serial killers who were briefly mentioned during season one.

Just started The Take last night. Good stuff.
Didn’t realize this was on Prime not Netflix.  We have it but only have the app on one TV and kind of a pain to use it.  I’ll check it out thought 

Netflix dropped a "Boss Baby" TV series this weekend.
Kids will love this

Just watched first season of Bloodline. Some really, really great moments. Didn’t even realized there were more seasons. Read some stuff I didn’t want to looking at this thread.

Will still watch the next season despite some of the bad things I read.

The guy who plays Danny really knocked it out of the park. Excellent job from that dude.

Slight nitpick they could have tried to get actors that at least looked semi-related. The siblings didn’t look remotely similar. 
Season 1 was great.  Got a few episodes into season 2 and kind of lost interest.  Might pick it back up

jamny said:
I would only watch it with subtitles or not at all.
Still don’t get they hate for dubbed Dark.  Thought it was fine.  Started Babylon Berlin and that’s some bad dubbing 

Still don’t get they hate for dubbed Dark.  Thought it was fine.  Started Babylon Berlin and that’s some bad dubbing 
I guess I was confusing the two. I knew one of them had a horrible overdub. Good to know that Dark wasn't bad. That might jump it up the rankings for the wife at least.

ComfortablyNumb said:
For those who don't have time to browse the 259 pages of this excellent thread, I thought I'd take a cut at summarizing at least the last 8 pages of it. I'm listing the shows in rough order of FBG preference with IMDB scores and, for the ones I've watched, my personal thoughts:

Peaky Blinders, 8.8, excellent show
Narcos, 8.9, excellent
Justified (A-Prime), 8.6
Wild Wild Country, 8.5
Babylon Berlin, 8.5
Money Heist, 8.8
Halt and Catch Fire, 8.3
Wind River, 7.8, very good movie
Dark, 8.7
Black Mirror, 8.9, Watched several, mostly great but a couple strange episodes
Ozark, 8.3, great, love Linney and Bateman
The Punisher, 8.7, great show
Mindhunter, 8.6
The Crown, 8.7, very good
The Take (A-Prime), 7.9, watched first two episodes - great so far
Stranger Things, 8.9, starts great but fades a little
The Terror, 8.6
Godless, 8.4, very good
Bosch (A-Prime), 8.3
Jessica Jones, 8.1, great, season 1 is better
Daredevil, 8.7, very good
Sneaky Pete (A-Prime), 8.3
Bloodline, 8.1, very good, fades a little
Collateral, 6.7, solid show
Into the Badlands, 8.1
The Iron Giant, 8.0
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, 7.6
Icarus, 8.0
Santa Clarita Diet, 7.8, I like it
Flint Town, 8.1
The Tunnel (A-Prime), 7.8
Luke Cage, 7.5, liked it
The Alienist, 7.8
Doctor Foster, 7.8
Seven Seconds, 7.7
Iron Fist, 6.8, weakest Marvel show

DO NOT WATCH:
Under the Dome, 6.7
The Mist, 5.4
The Titan, 4.9

Tucker and Dale should be MUCH higher on this list.  Shame on us and IMDB imo.

jamny said:
What show should I start next? Something for me and my wife. She likes about 95% of the same things I do. None of these seem like great options. We don't binge so it takes us a couple of months to get through a typical season so it needs to be really good to hold our interest. 

• The Terror - Looks visually amazing, is the shipwreck the only location? 
  • Goliath -  We're both Billy Bob fans but he isn't always great.
  • Wild Wild Country -  Most likely option
  • Babylon Berlin - Subtitles are a tough sell for the wife, needs to be great to overcome them.
  • Dark - we weren't fans of Stranger Things fwiw
  • Godless - I could go for a western but it can't be too slow. Considering rewatching Deadwood since she never saw it
  • Bloodline - Seems a little slow from previews and I've heard the bad reviews of the final season, especially the way it ends.
If you like Billy Bob, you’ll like Goliath. 

Through 2 episodes of Lost In Space.  It's ok, not great.  I'm kind of sick of shows showing us how the characters got into their present predicament via flashback.  Production values are top notch and I like the dynamic with the characters so far. 

jamny said:
We're just not into "real life" dramas. They need to have something different about them. Like there's no way we could sit through "This Is Us" judging by anything I've seen of it in commercials.
My wife watches it - every time I catch a few minutes or see a promo for it I think - “why the hell would somebody watch this?” - seems depressing as hell.

jamny said:
What show should I start next? Something for me and my wife. She likes about 95% of the same things I do. None of these seem like great options. We don't binge so it takes us a couple of months to get through a typical season so it needs to be really good to hold our interest. 

• The Terror - Looks visually amazing, is the shipwreck the only location? 
  • Goliath -  We're both Billy Bob fans but he isn't always great.
  • Wild Wild Country -  Most likely option
  • Babylon Berlin - Subtitles are a tough sell for the wife, needs to be great to overcome them.
  • Dark - we weren't fans of Stranger Things fwiw
  • Godless - I could go for a western but it can't be too slow. Considering rewatching Deadwood since she never saw it
  • Bloodline - Seems a little slow from previews and I've heard the bad reviews of the final season, especially the way it ends.
Have you done Happy Valley?

2 Short seasons.

British crime drama with very good acting and storyline. 

S 3 should come out within a year so you would easily be caught up and have a break in between. 

This is a crazy story, and I can't believe I had never really heard anything about it previously.

I had initially gotten a little bored with the story to the point of falling asleep while watching.  I picked it up again in episode 5    :shock:   I've now gone back to previous episodes that I pretty much slept though.

I had the misfortune to spend a couple weeks in The Dalles, OR earlier this year.  I ate at the Burgerville shown several times in one of the episodes.  Stayed at a ####-hole called The Dalles Inn right across the street from the Burgerville.  I wish I would have known about this story at that time.
I grew up there

Through 2 episodes of Lost In Space.  It's ok, not great.  I'm kind of sick of shows showing us how the characters got into their present predicament via flashback.  Production values are top notch and I like the dynamic with the characters so far. 
I watched one episode and like the family dynamic so far. 

What was it like?  I did not have a good impression.  Would be cool to visit in the Spring or early Summer with the apple orchards outside of town.  The Gorge area also looks cool, but we were there the wrong time of year.

ETA:  And were you there in the mid-80s?
The Gorge is absolutely wonderful spring/summer/fall.  Miserable in the winter.  I grew up and still live about an hour from where Rajneesh set up their compound and was in grade school while all of this was going on.  Did not realize till last night they were the subject of this doc.  Gotta watch it now.

I am surprised at how little known this is.  I was in my early teens when that all went down and I remember being very intrigued by the whole thing.  I remember the huge lines of people all dressed in orange or pink or whatever and the line of rolls royces driving down the road between them.  At the time I thought this guy must be a huge charlatan and all those people must be brainwashed.  After watching the documentary, I actually now have a different opinion about the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're nuts...but now I kind of look at them more like a bunch of hippies than a bunch of brainwashed prisoners.

What was it like?  I did not have a good impression.  Would be cool to visit in the Spring or early Summer with the apple orchards outside of town.  The Gorge area also looks cool, but we were there the wrong time of year.

ETA:  And were you there in the mid-80s?
I lived outside of the Dalles on a ranch but that's where we went to get everything. Lived there from 80-84. 

The Dalles itself is just a blue collar town nothing special. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I wouldn't want to live in the Dalles proper but once you get out of town it's beautiful with mountains forests lakes rivers and rolling hills all over the place. If you like the outdoors it's hard to beat. 

The best thing that comes from the Dalles is cherries.

Fleabag on Amazon is hilarious. If you like Louie or Girls check it out.
Very raunchy, but good.  The main actress/creator of Fleabag has another brand new show on BBC America if you have access to it (I get it via sling). She's not in it but created and writes for it called "Killing Eve". First episode was very good imo... It's about a female cop and the female assassin she's after. It's on Sundays but I saw on demand thru sling. 

Were you Rajneesh?  :oldunsure:

The Dalles itself just looked and felt dirty when we were there.  Never felt unsafe, just dirty.  The landscape outside of town was nice though.  It was cold but I did some hiking in Tom McCall preserve.
No I wasnt rajneesh. We hated them. They took over the town of Antelope which was an hour away. They poisoned the salad bar at sizzler I think at one point.

One time a car full of rajneesh came down our driveway which was a qtr mile gravel road. Pulled up in front of the house I was the only one there, I was about 15.

Asked if we had any sheet plastic to sell because they were going camping and worried about the rain. I said yeah we do hold on one second. So I went in the house and grabbed my shotgun and came back out and told them to get the duck off my land

In 5th grade we went to Outdoor School at Camp Hancock, just a little ways away from the Rajneesh compound. Our teachers piled us on the bus and drove us to the rim of the canyon they were in so we could watch the freak show for a while. It was just part of life in this area for several years.

Just finished. I would eject Dr Smith into space asap if I was there. 

Idk  :shrug:  I kind of dug it.  Maybe I can use liking this show as an excuse to ask my doc for some T? Sure would hell with fat loss and muscle building.
I just googled "lifetime network shows about cheating husband" to make fun of this show... and Dr Foster was top of the googles. Apparently, it either IS a lifetime show, or googles breaking your balls.

I just googled "lifetime network shows about cheating husband" to make fun of this show... and Dr Foster was top of the googles. Apparently, it either IS a lifetime show, or googles breaking your balls.
How about both you and Google's leave me the #### alone? Now I'm off to catch up on The Handmaids Tale.

] The series aired in the US on Lifetime in April 2016 as Doctor Foster: A Woman Scorned[26] and began streaming on Netflix in October 2016.[27] :lol:

] The series aired in the US on Lifetime in April 2016 as Doctor Foster: A Woman Scorned[26] and began streaming on Netflix in October 2016.[27] :lol:

I hold this thread in high regard. We CAN’T be recommending Lifetime shows. 
I fell on the sword because of these recommendations- watched the whole damned thing even after my wife gave up on it... because the guys on the nerd board recommended it. Let me reiterate.. even my wife gave up on it. But I kept plugging away despite the poor production values, ham handed writing and acting and cliched lifetime style story line...because it was recommended in here. 

ETA... Did I mention that even my wife cut bait on this pos?

bosoxs45 said:
Happy Valley is good tv.
S1 is better than S2 but still both very good. I'm a fan of Shirley Henderson. She's usually play oddballs. The lead cop is on another show, Last Tango in Halifax, that I'm almost interested to watch but it seems too much a show my parents would enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread