Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever invented the skip intro button, we salute you

Wife and I just added HBO Max. Started watching this little known show, think it's called Game of Thrones or something. Guess it's based on a book. Almost through the first season, which has been grea

31 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:
1 hour ago, jdoggydogg said:

I am serious when I say Mrs. Dogg is one of the single funniest people on the planet.

Agreed.  She keeps me in stitches.  

Dad?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I watched Travelers and Altered Carbon.  Both are various levels of mess (Time travel/infinite life related) but I enjoyed them enough for different reasons. Continuum is new to me, so will check out.  

IMO overall Continuum was slightly better then Travelers'.. Great storyline and the end of the series was satisfying.

Hoping there is at least one more Season of Travelers as version 2.0 looks promising.. :popcorn:

Never got past the 2nd episode of Altered Carbon.. Zzzzzz

4 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

:yes:

If you listen to enough comedy podcasts, and I listen to far too many, you will definitely lose your mind laughing at some of these female comedians. 

My wife just turned me on to Broad City. I know, I'm about 5 years late, but that is a funny show.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, urbanhack said:

New to Stat?

I've been away too long I guess.  I got a signal that Joe responded to one of my posts and I was like oh gosh, what the heck did I say.

I think we've all grown a little bit and are better for the experience.  I certainly feel more enlightened.  I think I even like that Gillette commercial now.

Thanks for turning me on to that Fyre festival doc, it was really interesting.  Thought they took it easy on Billy McFarland, but I guess a good doc let's you make your own conclusions.  Thought it was weird that JaRule was all over the place but wasn't one of the scheduled acts at the fest

3 hours ago, snogger said:

IMO overall Continuum was slightly better then Travelers'.. Great storyline and the end of the series was satisfying.

Hoping there is at least one more Season of Travelers as version 2.0 looks promising.. :popcorn:

Were Continuum and Travelers filmed in the same location or for the same network originally? Like how tons of these budget sci fi/fantasy shows are shot in Vancouver? CW shows too.

I ask because it's crazy the number of actors popped up in both. Some actors just get around the nerdy show circuit--BSG's Gaeta is in everything it feels like--but there were a lot of the same people in both shows. You can even spot some of the same props lol--there's a weird, unique lightbulb clock that shows up in Continuum at various points that is in David's apartment in Travelers. Only noticed because I'm watching them back to back pretty much. Plus the similar genre, it almost feels like the Continuum creators refined their formula and then made Travelers. 

1 hour ago, Statorama said:

Thanks for turning me on to that Fyre festival doc, it was really interesting.  Thought they took it easy on Billy McFarland, but I guess a good doc let's you make your own conclusions.  Thought it was weird that JaRule was all over the place but wasn't one of the scheduled acts at the fest

and escaped criminal charges

Watched "Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom" for the first time in a million years. My boy loves "Raiders..." but this was not as big a hit for him. From the adult's perspective, it's not a film that has aged well. It's pretty choppy from a storytelling perspective. Spielberg just can't help himself and resist the little embellishes that amuse him. 

"Stardust" is based on a Neil Gaiman story. It's probably 10 years old as a film and with a fun cast. Michelle Pfieffer, Clare Danes, and the guy playing the lead in the Netflix "Daredevil" series. Cameo roles for Robert DeNiro, Ricky Gervais, Henry Caville, and others. It's feels like a poor man's "Princess Bride" in some ways and overstuffed in the way that Gaiman stories often are. It's still a pleasant, if lesser film.

7 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

He shouldn't say it because it's not true.

I am serious when I say Mrs. Dogg is one of the single funniest people on the planet.

Certainly, there are exponentially more famous male comics than female. But there's a lot more involved with this than trying to decide which gender is funnier. Women have been subjugated for centuries, they've been excluded from high power positions, and they've been told to shut up and cook dinner. This is not a great way to incubate the female comedy market. I can rattle off a bunch of very funny female comedians, and as the decades progress further and further from a misogynist culture, we'll see the amount of great female comedians continue to rise. 

What is true for you is not true for others.  Comedy is objective.  The wifey and I have seen plenty of female comics and all but two where horrible.  And they were a duo act so they fed off each other.  But most female conedians don't have a stage presence and don't know how to deliver a joke.  Very, very few good comedians.  But it is a male dominated industry, and more and more females are getting into comedy so I hope in the future their will by better female comdians.  Cause I get tired of throwing money down the drain going to c.c..  imo!

6 hours ago, bucksoh said:

Watching narcos just finished season 2 and started season 3 and it is horrible, does it get better?  Seems like they got rid of Murphy narrating also.

Huh? Season 3 is the best season IMO and Murphy isn't even in season 3. Why would he narrate?

6 hours ago, bucksoh said:

Watching narcos just finished season 2 and started season 3 and it is horrible, does it get better?  Seems like they got rid of Murphy narrating also.

I remember it started a bit slow, or was just different without Pablo, but in the end liking Season 3 as much as the first 2.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Where is where is my BSG, 100 replacement?  Need a smart sci-fi show on amazon or Netflix. Recommendations... go!

have heard good things about Orphan Black - 5 seasons on Amazon Prime https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00BVYNSLC/ref=atv_dp_season_select_atf

Fringe? - 5 seasons on Amazon Prime via IMDB free dive (with ads) https://www.amazon.com/Fringe-The-Complete-First-Season/dp/B001FVV2X2

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:
13 hours ago, snogger said:

Were Continuum and Travelers filmed in the same location or for the same network originally? Like how tons of these budget sci fi/fantasy shows are shot in Vancouver? CW shows too.

I ask because it's crazy the number of actors popped up in both. Some actors just get around the nerdy show circuit--BSG's Gaeta is in everything it feels like--but there were a lot of the same people in both shows. You can even spot some of the same props lol--there's a weird, unique lightbulb clock that shows up in Continuum at various points that is in David's apartment in Travelers. Only noticed because I'm watching them back to back pretty much. Plus the similar genre, it almost feels like the Continuum creators refined their formula and then made Travelers. 

Not the same Network as Travelers is a NetFlix original, Continuum was a Canadian TV Series.

:shrug:  on directors/writers..

Edited by snogger
  • Like 1
On 10/3/2018 at 7:41 PM, Marmalade said:

Hold the Dark.  

Good movie

Strange

Just saw this.  It is indeed a strange movie (and dark).  But the setting and lifestyle of Alaska in the film is fascinating.

38 minutes ago, shadyridr said:
42 minutes ago, snogger said:

Not the same Network as Travelers is a NetFlix original, Continuum was a Canadian TV Series.

:shrug:  on directors/writers..

Travelers started as a Canadian series

:thanks:  I did not know that..

Also... location for Travelers and Continumm was  Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada so the original questioner may be onto something, or on something ;)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, saintfool said:

Watched "Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom" for the first time in a million years. My boy loves "Raiders..." but this was not as big a hit for him. From the adult's perspective, it's not a film that has aged well. It's pretty choppy from a storytelling perspective. Spielberg just can't help himself and resist the little embellishes that amuse him. 

"Stardust" is based on a Neil Gaiman story. It's probably 10 years old as a film and with a fun cast. Michelle Pfieffer, Clare Danes, and the guy playing the lead in the Netflix "Daredevil" series. Cameo roles for Robert DeNiro, Ricky Gervais, Henry Caville, and others. It's feels like a poor man's "Princess Bride" in some ways and overstuffed in the way that Gaiman stories often are. It's still a pleasant, if lesser film.

I remember thinking Temple of Doom was pretty crap as a kid seeing it in the theaters- especially after how great Raiders was. Can't imagine it's gotten any better.

Stardust is a really worthwhile family movie. as you say, it doesn't elevate, but if fills a great niche. reminds me to watch it with my hard to please kids.

Way behind the times.  I have never seen Black Mirror, and watched 2 episodes last night.  One I thought was one of the better things I have watched in awhile, and one was one of the worst.  The National Anthem was the one I didn't like at all, and I am scared to go on after peeking at the 1st page of the Black Mirror thread and seeing it ranked fairly high for the first 4-5 episodes. 

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

have heard good things about Orphan Black - 5 seasons on Amazon Prime https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00BVYNSLC/ref=atv_dp_season_select_atf

Fringe? - 5 seasons on Amazon Prime via IMDB free dive (with ads) https://www.amazon.com/Fringe-The-Complete-First-Season/dp/B001FVV2X2

I love Orphan Black, but fully admit it got a bit hokey.  Still worth it to watch the lead actress juggle that many roles.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Way behind the times.  I have never seen Black Mirror, and watched 2 episodes last night.  One I thought was one of the better things I have watched in awhile, and one was one of the worst.  The National Anthem was the one I didn't like at all, and I am scared to go on after peeking at the 1st page of the Black Mirror thread and seeing it ranked fairly high for the first 4-5 episodes. 

Black Mirror isn't always great. But when it's good it's awesome. Keep with it...

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

National anthem is arguably the worst episode...it's the best sci fi series, arguably ever IMHO.

5 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

National anthem is arguably the worst episode...it's the best sci fi series, arguably ever IMHO.

I agree when it's good it's really good but it can be heavy at times, not a show to binge IMO

1 hour ago, jdoggydogg said:

Black Mirror isn't always great. But when it's good it's awesome. Keep with it...

I am going to give it a few more, but I am on alert due to pig ####### and seeing that higher on people's lists than other episodes.  Not sure I want to see worse than that.  

7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I am going to give it a few more, but I am on alert due to pig ####### and seeing that higher on people's lists than other episodes.  Not sure I want to see worse than that.  

Episode one is the most sensational. Make sure you watch the Star Trek lampoon

On 1/29/2019 at 8:33 AM, saintfool said:

Finished S2 of "Atlanta" and liked it pretty well. Not perfect but some really good work done. I liked episodes that focused on individual characters this season - Darius, Alfred and Vanessa - more than Ern's but that's quibbling. It's fun seeing them more fully fleshed out and the novelty of that is there. Finished strong down the stretch. The guy playing Alfred is so good!

Onto "Lodge 49" next!

Is this on Hulu? I never got a notification it was up. :rant:

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

That was definitely one of the worst episodes.

Just now, shadyridr said:
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

yeah- we started with that one and basically gave up afterwards. I thought people here liked that episode?

the wife dialed us into a handful of others since- that had obviously been vetted. all fantastic. including the star-trek one.

2 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Giving "The Good Place" a shot. I'm 4 episodes in and jury is still out, going to give it some rope since I've heard good things. 

I love the Good Place. I think its great. Really funny. And Ted Danson is an American treasure.

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

yeah- we started with that one and basically gave up afterwards. I thought people here liked that episode?

the wife dialed us into a handful of others since- that had obviously been vetted. all fantastic. including the star-trek one.

I dunno. Reading through the Black Mirror thread and, while a few liked it, most people thought that episode was terrible. Not sure what @KarmaPolice is reading.

Edited by shadyridr
2 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

National Anthem is literally the worst episode in the entire series. There's an absolute mile between that episode and every single other episode. I recommend the series to others and every single time I say to skip that one and never watch it.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

See, I can see how the pig episode would gross someone out. But it's objectively a good episode in every other way. 

9 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Huh? Season 3 is the best season IMO and Murphy isn't even in season 3. Why would he narrate?

They have pena narrating,  first episode was brutally bad.  Just gonna have to power through it til it gets good.

4 minutes ago, bucksoh said:
9 hours ago, shadyridr said:

They have pena narrating,  first episode was brutally bad.  Just gonna have to power through it til it gets good.

S3 is Cali, not Mexico. 

I think.

eta: but I thought Murphy narrates Mexico too... caveat- I'm terrible at recognizing voice-over actors

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I dunno. Reading through the Black Mirror thread and, while a few liked it, most people thought that episode was terrible. Not sure what @KarmaPolice is reading.

Fair. 

I just read 1st page so I didn't get spoiled on stuff and just saw people throwing up rankings of the 1st handful of shows (did they release at the same time?) 

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Fair. 

I just read 1st page so I didn't get spoiled on stuff and just saw people throwing up rankings of the 1st handful of shows (did they release at the same time?) 

Well season 1 was like 5 episodes so that one was in the top 5 at that time lol

• Like 1