What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (13 Viewers)

jamny said:
We finished Ricky Gervais' show After Life. Loved it. Gervais is great as usual and he, once again, assembles a great supporting cast. I'd imagine it would be a therapeutic show for someone that is depressed or suicidal. We finished it like a week ago and it still sticks with me.
Loved this, and have thought about it many times since I've watched it.  Especially the interactions between Gervais and he widow at the cemetery.  

Finished Fortitude on Amazon.  That was...interesting.  At times I felt the show didn't know what direction they were going in, especially in season 1.

Need to figure out what's next.  Haven't had as much time to watch stuff lately so I don't know what's new.

Here is what I had jotted down as potential:

Russian Doll
The OA
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming

Looks like I'll be checking out Black Summer tonight...will report back

The Gervais show looks depressing...not really interested in that 

Finished Fortitude on Amazon.  That was...interesting.  At times I felt the show didn't know what direction they were going in, especially in season 1.

Need to figure out what's next.  Haven't had as much time to watch stuff lately so I don't know what's new.

Russian Doll
The OA
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming

First season of The Fall is really good.  

Quicksand - Anyone watching this? I'm about 3.5 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. Its only 6 episodes and its a really interesting subject. Its also interesting to see how the Swedes treat a criminal investigation and an accused criminal so much differently than we do in the US.

IvanKaramazov said:
Having watched all of one episode, I'll toss a tepid recommendation out for Black Summer.  It at least shows potential.
Agreed.

Also a vote for The Silence. Got through about 20 minutes and enjoying it so far.

You got through a whole 20 minutes?  Hell of an endorsement there.
Kids came back down, had to stop (not appropriate for them to watch), and just haven't gotten back to it yet. Too much good stuff to watch today otherwise. 

But yeah, I can see how that's funny. I'll update how the next 20 minutes go when we start back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me add a little more on it.....

One of the things I like so far about The Silence is that it's the most believable I've seen out of movies of this genre. The premise is actually plausible.  At least so far.

whoknew said:
Quicksand - Anyone watching this? I'm about 3.5 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. Its only 6 episodes and its a really interesting subject. Its also interesting to see how the Swedes treat a criminal investigation and an accused criminal so much differently than we do in the US.

Finished this yesterday. I would recommend it - if you are ok with subtitles/foreign shows.

I like Kevin Hart but his recent standup special on Netflix wasn’t funny at all.
Totally agreed, although was never a huge fan.

On a related note...I was an Amy Schumer fan, then I found her very unfunny and was not a fan.  I wouldn't say I've come full circle, but her most recent standup on Netflix is actually somewhat funny.

Russian Doll
The OA
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming

I enjoyed Russian Doll immensely.  It's a character study with kind of a pop art sensibility. Definitely not for everyone but I was very happy I stuck with it.

Russian Doll
The OA
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming

I vote for The OA so we can see how long it takes you to tap out. Are you tough enough?

gianmarco said:
About 30 minutes into A Quiet Place.

Seems like a rip off. But I like "The Silence" better based on what I've seen in both so far. 

FWIW, A Quiet Place is on Amazon Prime right now.
A Quiet Place is fantastic. If you think The Silence is better, I will have to give it a shot. 

Is it possible you feel that way because you started watching it after starting The Silence?

Plus Emily Blunt is nice to look at.

A Quiet Place is fantastic. If you think The Silence is better, I will have to give it a shot. 

Is it possible you feel that way because you started watching it after starting The Silence?

Plus Emily Blunt is nice to look at.
The above review was mostly a joke trying to compare on limited info.  But, I finished A Quiet Place last night and I wasn't overly impressed.  It was ok, it wasn't a waste of time watching, but nothing I'd rave about.

Watched some more of The Silence last night but it was getting late and I was tired so had to call it a night.  But I personally like it better. 

Of note, The Silence is based on a book that came out before A Quiet Place.  In fact, it's possible that the latter ripped off the former.

I try to avoid reviews before watching movies so I'm not reading them in depth, but I do see that The Silence doesn't seem to be well-liked.  Wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with consensus.  At least it didn't start out on Lifetime, right @James Daulton?

Haven't been in the thread for a while, but I came here to post about this show.  It is probably the best thing I've seen in years.  I can't say I'm a Gervais fan unilaterally, but I haven't minded him.  The arc of the short storyline were amazing to me.  I get why someone might be offput by the depression angle, it was never unpleasant for me to watch (I compare it to Parenthood where it got to be a gring to watch at times because of the struggles the various parents were going through.  My comment to my wife was "I don't watch TV to see others' daily life struggle to make me feel better about mine, I just want to escape").  With just 30 minute episodes it moves quick, and even the "downer" moments have comedic elements.  It never made me feel depressed.

Not sure where season 2 would go, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Looks like I'll be checking out Black Summer tonight...will report back

I didn't find it depressing at all.  Sad parts, but it's funny and some of the messages and dialogue are life-affirming.  Plus it's only 3 hours total. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought it was horribly written and inconsistent.  Could have been a good show but the writing sucked!
The episode that was mostly the big, red headed guy running around was some of the most intense TV that I have ever seen. Some of the dialogue was clunky but the show seemed pretty consistent to me. I think it is what the Walking Dead should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread