What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

Love the list ,dinsy... :thumbup:

Can quibble here or there...but that's the point. The returned (revenants) is fantastic tv.

Did you see the leftovers? Based on your list, I think you and the mrs would love it.

The fall...is that the Irish serial killer thing with Scully? If so, please add the • for S1 only. Including S2 and especially S3 as golden age of tv essentially invalidates everything else you wrote.
Thanks for the tip on Leftovers... just made a list to try to get through after we finish a comic detour through Pawnee, IN and I'll add that one.

S2 of The Fall was not very good -- agreed -- and The Fall has bounced down one level sometimes when I do these.  But I really liked S3 -- totally bought into the psychodrama portrait of a killer stuff.  And so so GRIM.

Mando is dissappointingly bad, even with a better episode for the prisoner. Best thing it has going for it is that it's shorter. I see shows like that and Jack Ryan that could be something great given the source/origin material but are so cynically and hackishly delivered, it almost makes me more disappointed in the final product. And unfortunately I can't just "enjoy" crappy stupid even if it's not supposed to be great.

Stranger Things s1 was genuinely fun- fresh idea thought out fairly well, good use of 80s nostalgia, even if it had holes...so I'll disagree with you there. S2 and 3 have gone progressively downhill and lack the freshness which was a big part of S1s success. and even if I still watch and kind of enjoy because I'm invested, there's not a lot to recommend.

But yeah, to your point- there are some quality shows out there that can't or haven't generated the discussion and following in here they deserve- especially compared to drek like the mandalorian.
Not much to disagree with there.  I liked S1 for what it was, but thought the same as you - it got progressively worse as I realized the show was much more about triggering those 80s nostalgia buttons than it was putting anything interesting on the screen.  

I know this isn't a Netflix show but I think this turned into a general "streaming shows" thread a while back, so ...

I'm curious about The Expanse. It seems to be getting great reviews and lots of buzz, so I started watching. Got through the first two episodes of Season 1 and I did not enjoy them. They seemed to go back and forth between three story lines: anonymous good-looking people on darkly lit ships saying made-up technical stuff about space travel, Thomas Jane walking around a massive space station with sideburns and a fedora so he looks cool (so preposterous it's hard not to just laugh at him- it's akin to a modern-day astronaut cruising the International Space Station in mutton chops and a top hat) and some sort of earth/UN narrative featuring a woman in a sari.

I assume it will get better as all these story lines about interplanetary strife and the mysterious attack and disappearance start to make sense and come together. But when does that happen?  At some point do they start lighting the spacecraft scenes enough for me to tell the anonymous good-looking people apart? Do they eventually either explain the fedora or make him ditch it because the people working on the show realize how silly it is?  Help me out here.
I am interested in unpacking this a bit more. 

I realize production-wise we are not talking about the same thing, but I started thinking about The Expanse as a sci-fi version of GOT, which is why it was always curious to me that more people didn't get on board with it.  

1.  Following different factions/perspectives throughout the world.  

2.  Attention to detail including a made up language (here it's the Belter language instead of Dothraki)

3.  The feeling that nobody is safe - I can think of a few of "main" characters that bite it in the first couple seasons

Mostly piggy-backing on #2 above, I have always been impressed with the attention to detail the show has shown, which I would guess is a big reason it elevates it over a lot of current shows in my mind:  1.  the differences in the regions/planets, 2. Belter language,  3. the physics of the ships/space walks,  on and on...    

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would put this show in the top 5 of shows that are currently airing and putting out new product in a heartbeat. 

Thanks for the tip on Leftovers... just made a list to try to get through after we finish a comic detour through Pawnee, IN and I'll add that one.

S2 of The Fall was not very good -- agreed -- and The Fall has bounced down one level sometimes when I do these.  But I really liked S3 -- totally bought into the psychodrama portrait of a killer stuff.  And so so GRIM.
I think The Leftovers is well worth the journey as well.  I would be hard pressed to name a better show start to finish in the last decade. 

Ok then. 

++INVALIDATED++

Finished S1 of V Wars. A different twist to the vampire theme that hooked me from the beginning. I'm hoping there will be a 2nd season.

Chances are. If you liked The Strain, you'll probably like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in unpacking this a bit more. 

I realize production-wise we are not talking about the same thing, but I started thinking about The Expanse as a sci-fi version of GOT, which is why it was always curious to me that more people didn't get on board with it.  

1.  Following different factions/perspectives throughout the world.  

2.  Attention to detail including a made up language (here it's the Belter language instead of Dothraki)

3.  The feeling that nobody is safe - I can think of a few of "main" characters that bite it in the first couple seasons

Mostly piggy-backing on #2 above, I have always been impressed with the attention to detail the show has shown, which I would guess is a big reason it elevates it over a lot of current shows in my mind:  1.  the differences in the regions/planets, 2. Belter language,  3. the physics of the ships/space walks,  on and on...    

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would put this show in the top 5 of shows that are currently airing and putting out new product in a heartbeat. 
Yeah if I had one bone to pick with the criticism you highlighted, it's that the science in this show is top notch and not made up at all (at least until the plot around the proto-molecule stuff gets more developed and it gets more and more sci-fi.) They do a great job of world building and really trying to make it seem real early on and that includes the stuff around space travel. This show is a far cry from something like the early days of scifi tv where every ship had "Inertial dampeners" that prevent a crew from being flattened against the wall every time they fire up the engines.

Lost in Space season 2 is coming out on Christmas Eve.

It wasn't perfect but I liked the 1st season a lot, Parker Posey was awesome as Smith.

El Floppo said:
Really hoping it's not crap...been disappointed in a bunch of stuff that's come out.
The dad of the actor playing young Will Robinson is a neighbor. I saw him at the UPS store the other day. He said the premiere was held at Goddard Space and they got to go behind the scenes of the museum there. One of those "hand over your phones, please, so we can show you what NASA and the space agencies have been working on..." kind of backstage events. 

The Witcher first episode was not good. Very boring. Very confusing. 
Have you ever read whatever book it came from or played the game? I’ve only played Witcher 3 and loved it - wondering if they decided to just make it accessible to those who kind of knew what was happening already. It’s also possible it’s just terrible. Haven’t started it.

Have you ever read whatever book it came from or played the game? I’ve only played Witcher 3 and loved it - wondering if they decided to just make it accessible to those who kind of knew what was happening already. It’s also possible it’s just terrible. Haven’t started it.
I only played Witcher 3

The dad of the actor playing young Will Robinson is a neighbor. I saw him at the UPS store the other day. He said the premiere was held at Goddard Space and they got to go behind the scenes of the museum there. One of those "hand over your phones, please, so we can show you what NASA and the space agencies have been working on..." kind of backstage events. 
The Witcher? :confused:

You won't regret watching it.
I started watching it based on the comments here.  I’m 6 episodes in to season one,  it solid but can’t say it’s hooked me.  It’s more in the if I have nothing else to watch category vs. I can’t wait for the next episode one.  

Watched 6 Underground tonight, holy hell that was a awful movie.  

I started watching it based on the comments here.  I’m 6 episodes in to season one,  it solid but can’t say it’s hooked me.  It’s more in the if I have nothing else to watch category vs. I can’t wait for the next episode one.  

Fwiw, s1 was more work for me iirc- I found the smokers frustrating. It gets into better and better territory as it progresses in the next seasons.

The Witcher first episode was not good. Very boring. Very confusing. 
Yeah the first episode was confusing. Just finished episode 4, less confusing after I figured out what they were doing. I've played the games and know who the 3 main protagonist are so I'm into it.

This might be the most Michael Bayist of Michael Bay movies.

Yup, the all too common theme I'm finding in a lot of movies made these days - all icing - no cake.   I shut it down about halfway through, I grew tired and impatient of waiting for it to get better.

Yup, the all too common theme I'm finding in a lot of movies made these days - all icing - no cake.   I shut it down about halfway through, I grew tired and impatient of waiting for it to get better.
I was laughing pretty hard at the absurdity of the opening scene. Then it just got worse.

I predict it will be as good as The Mandalorian... 
I know nothing of the backstory on either the Witcher or the Mandalorian but having watched both at least the Witcher had some action to it. I'll wait to see everyone's reviews here and I'm only 2 shows on the Witcher but I like it better. I'm more into science fantasy than science fiction anyhow.

Within 5mins I knew it was going to be awful.  I rode it out for an hour before I could take no more.  Can’t remember the last time I didn’t finish a movie.  

I did no research and didn't realize 6 Underground was a Michael Bay movie until it was plastered all over the end credits.

It helped me come to terms with what I had just seen and I slept like a baby afterwards.

Btw, a friend recommended a show on Prime. I'm still kinda of mixed on my review of it, but I think it's worth a watch to see if it's your cup of tea.

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

I'm 6 episodes in (out of 10). I'll definitely finish it. Murder mystery with a decent cast. Some of the writing and acting is quirky but the overall story and feel of the show is decent. The first episode is "ok" but I'd say it picks up after that. Apparently, the end is surprising so I'll see how it ends and give a final review but if anyone looking for a new show to try, give it a shot.
So, the whole show in total is worth watching, I think.  There are a few moments that are a little cringe-worthy, a lot of good stuff, and some moments where it feels like really good TV.  At 10 episodes, it takes a little time to get through, but the last 3-4 episodes start to fly through and are the most binge-worthy.  A truly good twist/ending to the show and one of the few times it makes it worth watching, IMO. 

Not the greatest thing I've ever watched but I'm glad I did.

Midway through S3 of The Crown. I do miss Claire Foy's turn at HRH but much the cast is improved. While I carry a torch for Vanessa Kirby as Margaret, I tickled by Helena Bonham Carter. I'm reminded of how formidable she is when not doing chewing scenery for Tim Burton or whatever. Tobie Menzes as Phillip is nice even if he doesn't have much to do (as is art as is life) and I prefer him to Matt Smith here. Finishing the Charles in Wales episode last night felt like it was the expected midseason sag.

beer 30 said:
I know nothing of the backstory on either the Witcher or the Mandalorian but having watched both at least the Witcher had some action to it. I'll wait to see everyone's reviews here and I'm only 2 shows on the Witcher but I like it better. I'm more into science fantasy than science fiction anyhow.
Yeah liking The Witcher. Yennefer is the Boss.

saintfool said:
Midway through S3 of The Crown. I do miss Claire Foy's turn at HRH but much the cast is improved. While I carry a torch for Vanessa Kirby as Margaret, I tickled by Helena Bonham Carter. I'm reminded of how formidable she is when not doing chewing scenery for Tim Burton or whatever. Tobie Menzes as Phillip is nice even if he doesn't have much to do (as is art as is life) and I prefer him to Matt Smith here. Finishing the Charles in Wales episode last night felt like it was the expected midseason sag.
How close some of those actors actually look to who they are portraying is crazy.  Have you met the (princess?) Anne character yet?

Watched Aeronauts off Amazon Prime the other night.  Worth the watch. About hot air ballooning in the 1860s.  Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne - now I wanna see just how much truth the movie was based on. 

Watched Aeronauts off Amazon Prime the other night.  Worth the watch. About hot air ballooning in the 1860s.  Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne - now I wanna see just how much truth the movie was based on. 
I added that to our list already and was looking forward to checking it out.  Good to hear.

I added that to our list already and was looking forward to checking it out.  Good to hear.
There is one scene where I really want to know if that's what she did to get them out of a predicament.  Watching it, even knowing it's a movie, I got a bit of a feeling that I had watching the rock climbing movie - Free Solo. 

There is one scene where I really want to know if that's what she did to get them out of a predicament.  Watching it, even knowing it's a movie, I got a bit of a feeling that I had watching the rock climbing movie - Free Solo. 
Pretty certain I know what scene you’re talking about and I had trouble breathing during it

Jayrod said:
I did no research and didn't realize 6 Underground was a Michael Bay movie until it was plastered all over the end credits.

It helped me come to terms with what I had just seen and I slept like a baby afterwards.
The advertising literally says something like“the Michael bayest movie that was ever Michael Bayed by Michael Bay”

I was a big Thrones fan due to the complex characters and story — not so much the fantasy and battles (though I like battles). Should I start Witcher or is it too cheesy?  

Don't F**k with Cats is very disturbing at times, but worth the watch I thought.  The first couple of episodes I was probably the most angry I have ever been watching something.  Had to get up and pace the floor for a while.  :mellow:   Just a warning if you don't know anything about the story.

I didn't know anything about the story going in which was good/bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
We both thought it was very good and visually stunning. Very pleasantly surprised.

Watched "The Irishman" last night with the wife. It was just okay, imo. No one captures the utter banality of the mafia the way Marty does. "Donnie Brasco" comes closest but it's still miles away. As a film, it's definitely lesser canon from Scorsese but it's still fine. What was a letdown for me was the script - Steve Zaillian here - and perhaps the editing or the cinematographer. Thelma is a pretty steady hand at the wheel with Marty's stuff so I'm less inclined to find fault with her here. Maybe Prieto just made a mess of it and she didn't have enough to work with? Dunno exactly but it felt off somehow. I liked Pacino in this role of Hoffa while less so of DeNiro. Pesci gives a nice understated turn here too. Bobby Cannavale with prosthetics and makeup handed the role that Chaz Palmintieri should have had.

Users who are viewing this thread