Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Yo Mama said:
8 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

What was the 1st season about? 

Hard to explain without giving up too many spoilers.  Basically a strange guy emerges in town and bad/crazy stuff follows him wherever he goes. Set in the same locations as many King stories with references to those storylines. 

Centered around run down NE town and prison and the characters in and around them.

Season was pretty up and down for me and I don't even remember how it ended, but there's an episode w sissy spacek that is one of the better tv eps I've seen in years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever invented the skip intro button, we salute you

Wife and I just added HBO Max. Started watching this little known show, think it's called Game of Thrones or something. Guess it's based on a book. Almost through the first season, which has been grea

7 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Hard to explain without giving up too many spoilers.  Basically a strange guy emerges in town and bad/crazy stuff follows him wherever he goes. Set in the same locations as many King stories with references to those storylines. 

 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Centered around run down NE town and prison and the characters in and around them.

Season was pretty up and down for me and I don't even remember how it ended, but there's an episode w sissy spacek that is one of the better tv eps I've seen in years.

So, Season 1 is S.King - adjacent, but not 100% based on an existing character or story?  A knowledge of his universe would enhance the viewing, but it's not mandatory.

Then S2 is a sort of prequel to Misery?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

 

So, Season 1 is S.King - adjacent, but not 100% based on an existing character or story?  A knowledge of his universe would enhance the viewing, but it's not mandatory.

Then S2 is a sort of prequel to Misery?

 

I'm not a Stephen King guy, and I still enjoyed S1 (again, up and down). But I understand it's rife with King references that fans would get...and I think the story line is pretty much the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, Scoresman said:

Leaving Neverland on HBO.

:shock:

 

Every time I see someone reference this, I first think of Finding Neverland and can't understand the uproar. Finding Neverland was such a sweet and sad and nice movie. 

Then I realize this is something COMPLETELY different. #sad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reprisal

Hulu show. Not perfect by any means, but a very compelling, dark, and violent series. Not for the faint of heart, but Tarantino-esque with the writing and time-shifting. Pretty cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, shadyridr said:

I thought the last episode was horrible

Yeah, I thought ep 3 started off great and then the whole thing just changed, kinda like the Kubrick\Spielberg switch in A.I., or more appropriately, the instant Cheech appears in From Dusk til Dawn.

Went to see that with a friend and he nodded off, then woke up legitimately angry and confused, thinking he was in a whole different movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, whoknew said:
13 hours ago, the moops said:

Am 4 episodes in. I think I really like it, but can't quite tell yet

I finished last night. I definitely enjoyed it. 

I liked it also.  Will for sure watch the next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WDIK2 said:

I liked it also.  Will for sure watch the next season.

I reckon we need to be ready that we are never going to get an answer, right? As long as the show goes, we will never know if he is or isn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Just starting Peaky Blinders as well, but seeing the words "Hardy" and "marbles in his mouth" immediately made me think of him in The Take -- one of the most chilling and incredible performances I've seen Hardy in to date.

I believe it may still be available on Prime.

I don't get the love for The Irishman. I think the story was simply a slightly different retelling of Casino, and the CGI made it completely unwatchable for me. I mean, I applaud making DeNiro look young but when that character is walking around with the stiffened, arthritic gait and mannerisms of a 76 year old, why even bother erasing wrinkles and liver spots? 

Holy ####, the take was unreal. I usually hate commercials but I needed them to set my head straight, Tom hardy is out of this world in his role.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Reprisal

Hulu show. Not perfect by any means, but a very compelling, dark, and violent series. Not for the faint of heart, but Tarantino-esque with the writing and time-shifting. Pretty cool.

i started it but paused it after maybe 3 episodes. it's highly stylized in that QT way, perhaps, but it suffers from sloppy writing and paper thin characters. it feels like a CW series with a USA Network budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

I reckon we need to be ready that we are never going to get an answer, right? As long as the show goes, we will never know if he is or isn't.

 

 

Possibly.  Not sure where they will go with it.  I guess he could end up "sacrificed" in the end, but still leave us hanging

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, the moops said:
On 1/8/2020 at 7:51 PM, Yo Mama said:

My wife and I just watched the whole season of Messiah this week. We really enjoyed it. 

Am 4 episodes in. I think I really like it, but can't quite tell yet

3 in.  I LOVE it.  Probably partly because of my faith/knowledge of Scripture.  Wholly unique and thought-provoking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I'm not a Stephen King guy, and I still enjoyed S1 (again, up and down). But I understand it's rife with King references that fans would get...and I think the story line is pretty much the same.

I think I made it to ep 6 or 7. Just never seemed to want to hit play on the rest. And I used to read anything King published

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, mr. furley said:

Don't #%!% With Cats

made it through the first 2 episodes last night. skipped the obvious/unnecessary parts.  

what a weird, wild story. the internet is a terrifying place. at least the parts of it i thankfully haven't found yet.

Heard this being talked about on the radio, I'll pass.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

Heard this being talked about on the radio, I'll pass.  

aside from the..... cats part.... it's mostly a depressing, horrifying and awful psychological thriller type story.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Witcher gets so much better as you go in.  I gave up after the 1st episode but my wife finished it and loved it.  After reading more saying the same here I went back and glad I did.  It is really, really good.

And Yennefer.... Holy Jesus. :wub:  Quite possibly the most perfect body I've seen.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, msommer said:

I think I made it to ep 6 or 7. Just never seemed to want to hit play on the rest. And I used to read anything King published

i liked S1 mostly because i felt like it was going for something different. the cast, too, made a huge difference. S2 was more conventional (still somehow bonkers) but still decent. it's more a "nice-change-of-pace" show than anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, saintfool said:

i started it but paused it after maybe 3 episodes. it's highly stylized in that QT way, perhaps, but it suffers from sloppy writing and paper thin characters. it feels like a CW series with a USA Network budget.

It does build pretty well if you ever revisit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

The Witcher gets so much better as you go in.  I gave up after the 1st episode but my wife finished it and loved it.  After reading more saying the same here I went back and glad I did.  It is really, really good.

And Yennefer.... Holy Jesus. :wub:  Quite possibly the most perfect body I've seen.

I just finished The Witcher last night. It is not in the genre of shows I normally watch but I liked it a lot. I couldn’t follow the time jumps very well I guess and might not have noticed them at all if I hadn’t seen it mentioned here  (But I’m pretty dumb about that stuff...had enough trouble following Scott Bakula and his Quantum Leap escapades.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It took several months but I finished Parks and Recreation last night.  It was recommended several times in various threads here over the years.  What a great comedy!  NBC had such a great Thursday night run from the 80s, through Seinfeld and Friends in the 90s, The Office, 30 Rock, and then Parks and Rec.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

 

There was a marathon on one of the side channels for new year's of NewsRadio. Vastly under-appreciated comedy. If you've never seen it, seek it out. It deserves to be spoken of among the others you've listed, it just suffered due to NBC's mismanagement (and then, of course, the tragic death of Phil Hartman).  But it had moments just as good as those other shows. 

Haven't found it streaming anywhere, but if someone knows where one can see it, let me know.  Love me some News Radio.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gianmarco said:

The Witcher gets so much better as you go in.  I gave up after the 1st episode but my wife finished it and loved it.  After reading more saying the same here I went back and glad I did.  It is really, really good.

And Yennefer.... Holy Jesus. :wub:  Quite possibly the most perfect body I've seen.

Pre or post witch surgery?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

 

There was a marathon on one of the side channels for new year's of NewsRadio. Vastly under-appreciated comedy. If you've never seen it, seek it out. It deserves to be spoken of among the others you've listed, it just suffered due to NBC's mismanagement (and then, of course, the tragic death of Phil Hartman).  But it had moments just as good as those other shows. 

Awesome show.  And Maura Tierney in that role is top 10 ever.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, jdoggydogg said:

Reprisal

Hulu show. Not perfect by any means, but a very compelling, dark, and violent series. Not for the faint of heart, but Tarantino-esque with the writing and time-shifting. Pretty cool.

Digging this so far, 3 episodes in.  Solid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

It very slowly becomes one of the best comedies of the decade 

I just finished season 1. That being said not many great comedies anymore. Other than Sunny, Curb, and Silicon Valley. 

Edited by shadyridr
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Watchmen.  Awesome show. 

I need something new now.  Here's a list of things that I haven't seen that drew my attention, but not feeling strongly about any particular one of them.

Fleabag
The Confession Killer
When They See Us
Living With Yourself
Years and Years
The Society
Black Summer
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming
Murder Mountain
Ken Burns' Vietnam
Broadchurch
Halt and Catch Fire
Safe
Flint Town
Mad Dogs
Carnivale
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shuke said:

Just finished Watchmen.  Awesome show. 

I need something new now.  Here's a list of things that I haven't seen that drew my attention, but not feeling strongly about any particular one of them.

Fleabag
The Confession Killer
When They See Us
Living With Yourself
Years and Years
The Society
Black Summer
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming
Murder Mountain
Ken Burns' Vietnam
Broadchurch
Halt and Catch Fire
Safe
Flint Town
Mad Dogs
Carnivale
 

Without question Broadchurch. Followed by The Fall Season 1.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shuke said:

Just finished Watchmen.  Awesome show. 

I need something new now.  Here's a list of things that I haven't seen that drew my attention, but not feeling strongly about any particular one of them.

Fleabag
The Confession Killer
When They See Us
Living With Yourself
Years and Years
The Society
Black Summer
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming
Murder Mountain
Ken Burns' Vietnam
Broadchurch
Halt and Catch Fire
Safe
Flint Town
Mad Dogs
Carnivale
 

The bolded are my picks.

Eta...if Carnival didn't just go *poof*, I'd recommend it- a lot of fun while it was going, but I don't recall satisfaction with the end.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

The bolded are my picks.

Eta...if Carnival didn't just go *poof*, I'd recommend it- a lot of fun while it was going, but I don't recall satisfaction with the end.

Just curious, have you seen Broadchurch? I'd be quite surprised if you had and didn't bold it without overlooking it.

One of the best shows I've ever seen. I'd imagine reviews and ratings are quite high too (haven't looked).

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, shuke said:

Just finished Watchmen.  Awesome show. 

I need something new now.  Here's a list of things that I haven't seen that drew my attention, but not feeling strongly about any particular one of them.


Ken Burns' Vietnam
 

Prepare to be angry

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Just curious, have you seen Broadchurch? I'd be quite surprised if you had and didn't bold it without overlooking it.

One of the best shows I've ever seen. I'd imagine reviews and ratings are quite high too (haven't looked).

It's not very good, gb.

I haven't seen it. Looks like I should.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's not very good, gb.

  Reveal hidden contents

I haven't seen it. Looks like I should.

It actually makes me angry that both of you haven't seen it yet being regulars in this thread.

Go watch it now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

It actually makes me angry that both of you haven't seen it yet being regulars in this thread.

Go watch it now.

British cop show, right?

Sounds original.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shuke said:

Just finished Watchmen.  Awesome show. 

I need something new now.  Here's a list of things that I haven't seen that drew my attention, but not feeling strongly about any particular one of them.


 

Have you seen After Life or Catastrophe?

Edited by jamny
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

I love, love, Fleabag, but fully admit it's not for everyone. If you do watch it, start from the beginning.

My wife couldn't get past the 1st ep.

I love the show, but had to watch solo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamny said:

Have you seen After Life or Catastrophe?

These are both fantastic. 

fleabag and Catastrophe have a similar vibe imo...so if one works for you, the other will too.

And afterlife was stunning

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

My wife couldn't get past the 1st ep.

I love the show, but had to watch solo.

:lmao: I'm dragging my wife through fleabag.  Only like 2 or 3 in. If it doesn't get much better, I'll finish it myself. I'm hoping now that we finished the new season of The Crown, she'll warm up to it with the MiL in it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shuke said:

Just finished Watchmen.  Awesome show. 

I need something new now.  Here's a list of things that I haven't seen that drew my attention, but not feeling strongly about any particular one of them.

Fleabag
The Confession Killer
When They See Us
Living With Yourself
Years and Years
The Society
Black Summer
The Fall
Kingdom
Homecoming
Murder Mountain
Ken Burns' Vietnam
Broadchurch
Halt and Catch Fire
Safe
Flint Town
Mad Dogs
Carnivale
 

Halt is the only one that jumps out

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...