What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

I like Driver quite a bit. Not many actors like him on the market today. I never saw him on "Girls" because we don't have HBO but totally dug his character and performance in "While We're Young."
I didn’t but admittedly didn’t know a lot about him. Just the SW movies which I felt he was terribly miscast in. He was dead on in this role though. 

Have not seen this mentioned yet, Locked Up on Netflix. Under the radar women's prison series set in Spain with subtitles, started out looking like a bit of a T&A attention grabber turns into a very captivating series. This is much more serious and darker than Orange is the New Black, which I couldn't even finish the first season. This becomes extremely fast moving and really interesting how the characters develop and grow on you. 

saintfool said:
I like Driver quite a bit. Not many actors like him on the market today. I never saw him on "Girls" because we don't have HBO but totally dug his character and performance in "While We're Young."
He was a revelation on Girls... So good.

Been going through Big Mouth and got to the Duke Ellington episode last night. I think that's the best episode I've seen of the show so far. Disgustingly funny show all around, the voice acting is pretty fantastic.

Been going through Big Mouth and got to the Duke Ellington episode last night. I think that's the best episode I've seen of the show so far. Disgustingly funny show all around, the voice acting is pretty fantastic.
It's pretty well loved here. I think there are those who found it too crude...understandably...but whatchergunnado. it hits some insane highs 

Have not seen this mentioned yet, Locked Up on Netflix. Under the radar women's prison series set in Spain with subtitles, started out looking like a bit of a T&A attention grabber turns into a very captivating series. This is much more serious and darker than Orange is the New Black, which I couldn't even finish the first season. This becomes extremely fast moving and really interesting how the characters develop and grow on you. 
we made it through 2 seasons of Orange before giving up..

I'd recommend watching WentWorth.. We enjoyed all 7 seasons.. :thumbup:  

Just checked out Wikipedia and it states: 

An eighth and ninth season have been commissioned, set to be broadcast through 2020 and 2021 respectively with ten episodes each, with the ninth serving as the final season to the series.
:excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking about all streaming service shows here or just Netflix?  Apologies for jumping in and out of this thread....

I'm watching The Boys on Amazon Prime and so far it's pretty good.  
All streaming is talked about in here.  It would be too much to have a thread for each service + movie threads + individual show threads

Are we talking about all streaming service shows here or just Netflix?  Apologies for jumping in and out of this thread....

I'm watching The Boys on Amazon Prime and so far it's pretty good.  
I liked it quite a bit. Wasn't what I expected but I thought it was an interesting take.

Man the actor who plays Lenny Bruce really brings life to that character. When he shows up Mrs. Maisel becomes instantly better. 

Same here, although I was a little disappointed in the third episode. The premise had so much more potential.
Liked it quite a bit.  (Dracula)  The third episode wasn't as good as the others, but it did get deep and tied some things together at the end.  It did feel like they could have expanded on the end a little.

Nun Van Hesling kept talking about things (sunlight, crosses, being invited in) "not making sense."

Capella said:
Man the actor who plays Lenny Bruce really brings life to that character. When he shows up Mrs. Maisel becomes instantly better. 
Tremendous performance.

Love Marvelous Mrs Maisel, just came to it recently. It may be the best-performed tv series i've ever seen. But the thing i like most about it is that it takes me out of my hypercritical, analytical head and makes me look forward to chances to forgive the show its excesses. I'm usually not very tolerant when shows lose their narrative truth or continuity and MMM often does. But the show is so honest and charming and thoroughgoing in its love for what made modern comedy and personality what they are that i actually enjoy welcoming it home from a wayward day of play with a loving squeeze.

And it don't get much more wayward than its portrayal of Lenny Bruce. I have been trying to like the Moses of standup since i heard one of his albums over 50 yrs ago. There is so much cleverness & courage, such semantic & revolutionary fervor in there that you just want to roar along with him, but i dont know anyone who can. Cant blame him for wanting to be new more than right, but it's resolution, not revelation, that brings the Funny and there's just too much hipster neurosis in his style for that to happen.

Just as i loved Woody Allen getting to meet the God of Cool in the person of Bogie in Play it again, Sam, i love Mrs Maisel's affair of heart & mind w Bruce. It is not uncommon for a show run by a woman to contain a goodly portion of wish fulfillment and it usually rubs me the wrong way. Here it's perfect because the Oracle of Humor MUST be glamorous, MUST be compelling, MUST be wistful & telling so each of us who live for the Funny can make love to it over & over. And Cary Grant couldn't have played a standup as romantically & heroically as this Luke Kirby. Not a hint of the fevered junkie, the user & leaver, but brought all that damage to a faithful reproduction of what Bruce did on stage. Remarkable.

5 episodes in and this Witcher show is a disaster. Good grief. Yennifer is a jowly smoke show but the narrative and visual style trying to frame that narrative are both just a mess. Not even the costume and makeup departments have any clue what is happening. Not sure I can keep watching. 

5 episodes in and this Witcher show is a disaster. Good grief. Yennifer is a jowly smoke show but the narrative and visual style trying to frame that narrative are both just a mess. Not even the costume and makeup departments have any clue what is happening. Not sure I can keep watching. 
It's not until episode 8 that Yennefer gives birth to 3 dragons. 

What in the what? You're all over The 100, but only now you have a critical eye?

Oof 

Dracula was a bit of a let down mainly because of a terrible final episode. It started great and the questions that were being posed in the first 2 episodes made this series very interesting. The reveals to these questions were just meh. 

The Devil Next Door was pretty great. Documentary about a guy from Cleveland who was accused of being a Nazi death camp guard. I was too young to know about this when it happened but never really heard about the more recent events related to it either. 
Watching this now, I'm on the final episode. It's tough to watch and really infuriating but it's an excellent crime/court room doc.  

I'm right there with you.  Same exact feelings.  I feel like I've invested enough to see it through but it's pretty painful.  I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

I'm right there with you.  Same exact feelings.  I feel like I've invested enough to see it through but it's pretty painful.  I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
This is me after 4 episodes. More or less just a bunch of scenes strung together. 

One minute were watching a queen marry her daughter. Then a scene showing yennifer on the beach with the dead baby she tried to save.Next minute we see the queen some time in the future dead on the ground.

Actually not sure I'll finish. If I do it'll be mostly for yenna.

I started What did Jack do, David lynch's short or him interviewing a well dressed talking monkey.

:oldunsure:

Anybody else?

It was a long 3 minutes of my life...barely denting the 17 min run time.

Tremendous performance.

Love Marvelous Mrs Maisel, just came to it recently. It may be the best-performed tv series i've ever seen. But the thing i like most about it is that it takes me out of my hypercritical, analytical head and makes me look forward to chances to forgive the show its excesses. I'm usually not very tolerant when shows lose their narrative truth or continuity and MMM often does. But the show is so honest and charming and thoroughgoing in its love for what made modern comedy and personality what they are that i actually enjoy welcoming it home from a wayward day of play with a loving squeeze.

And it don't get much more wayward than its portrayal of Lenny Bruce. I have been trying to like the Moses of standup since i heard one of his albums over 50 yrs ago. There is so much cleverness & courage, such semantic & revolutionary fervor in there that you just want to roar along with him, but i dont know anyone who can. Cant blame him for wanting to be new more than right, but it's resolution, not revelation, that brings the Funny and there's just too much hipster neurosis in his style for that to happen.

Just as i loved Woody Allen getting to meet the God of Cool in the person of Bogie in Play it again, Sam, i love Mrs Maisel's affair of heart & mind w Bruce. It is not uncommon for a show run by a woman to contain a goodly portion of wish fulfillment and it usually rubs me the wrong way. Here it's perfect because the Oracle of Humor MUST be glamorous, MUST be compelling, MUST be wistful & telling so each of us who live for the Funny can make love to it over & over. And Cary Grant couldn't have played a standup as romantically & heroically as this Luke Kirby. Not a hint of the fevered junkie, the user & leaver, but brought all that damage to a faithful reproduction of what Bruce did on stage. Remarkable.
Great post man. Totally agree with you on Kirby. The emotion he put into that scene where he said “maybe before I die” really hit home knowing how his story ends. Great actor. 

I liked it and don't always like the genre. But like others said, halfway through I didn't really understand the plot / timeline. 
Yeah the timeline thing is very confusing.  Imo the last 3 episodes they do a much better job on that. Maybe it's because the difference in the timeline is easily to see.

liked it and don't always like the genre. But like others said, halfway through I didn't really understand the plot / timeline. 
Yeah the timeline thing is very confusing.  Imo the last 3 episodes they do a much better job on that. Maybe it's because the difference in the timeline is easily to see
They make a point of going back and replaying major events from different perspectives (like rashoman) and then playing then out again to explain the significance. It's heavy handed, but does a good job stitching plot points and timelines together.

I wrapped it up too- liked it fine. If people aren't liking it through the first episodes because it's "confusing", stick with it.

They make a point of going back and replaying major events from different perspectives (like rashoman) and then playing then out again to explain the significance. It's heavy handed, but does a good job stitching plot points and timelines together.

I wrapped it up too- liked it fine. If people aren't liking it through the first episodes because it's "confusing", stick with it.
It made for some cool moments when they wrapped the timelines all together in the mid-late season. It was a little confusing early on, but there’s no real other way to tell all the main characters’ origin stories concurrently given the disparity in their ages. Ultimately I ended up appreciating the approach. 

I liked it and don't always like the genre. But like others said, halfway through I didn't really understand the plot / timeline. 
After the first two episodes, I googled and read a couple short articles about the timeline, and it all made sense after that. Its not a complicated mind-#### timeline thing like Westworld, just a clever way to tell the three main characters' stories leading to the ending when they all intersect.  Its a decent show, far from great. For me, it was a worthwhile way to pass the time at a boys volleyball tournament out of town last weekend.

It made for some cool moments when they wrapped the timelines all together in the mid-late season. It was a little confusing early on, but there’s no real other way to tell all the main characters’ origin stories concurrently given the disparity in their ages. Ultimately I ended up appreciating the approach. 
Theres no reason why they couldnt use captions to signify the timelines. Its not like they were hiding some big reveal. 

Users who are viewing this thread