What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

(Netflix) Operation Odessa - Documentary.  Synopsis from Google:  In the early 1990s, three friends set out to hustle the Russian mob, the Cali cartel and the DEA for the score of a lifetime.  Some interesting characters involved.

Stumbled upon it by accident.  I'm good friends with a couple that spent some time with Juan and Tarzan in all his 90s glory.  I remembered their stories about Tarzan so texted them as soon as I figured out the subject matter.  They watched it also and said their teen daughter was freaked out that her parents knew these guys.    :lmao:  

Pretty much stopped looking at NF for stuff.  I would consider dropping if not for the stuff my 5 year old likes and for the movie club.  

Loaded an interesting mix of movies on Prime and HBO add on.  Will start on that tomorrow, but tonight I had to watch Alien again. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Started watching Perpetual Grace on Epix (free for a little while longer).

2 eps in, and it's among the best thing I've seen in a while. Feels very similar to The Patriot in terms of tone...deadpan, dry humor with an absurdist plot and baritone lead doused with ennui. even has Lost's John Locke in it. Ben Kingsley's character is hilarious...they're all hilarious. And it looks pretty spectacular as well- very nicely filmed. Only 2 in as said, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes....highly recommend.

ETA...just googled. It's the same creator and writer as the patriot, which makes complete sense.

Started watching Perpetual Grace on Epix (free for a little while longer).

2 eps in, and it's among the best thing I've seen in a while. Feels very similar to The Patriot in terms of tone...deadpan, dry humor with an absurdist plot and baritone lead doused with ennui. even has Lost's John Locke in it. Ben Kingsley's character is hilarious...they're all hilarious. And it looks pretty spectacular as well- very nicely filmed. Only 2 in as said, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes....highly recommend.

ETA...just googled. It's the same creator and writer as the patriot, which makes complete sense.
I'm intrigued.  Zero chance I would have ever heard of this show absent your post (not sure I'm familiar with Epix either, actually).

The plot against America on HBO so far is just kind of there. 2.5 episodes in. If this was a series and not a 6-episode thing I may have bailed. It’s beautifully made, just not particularly interesting so far. 

(Netflix) Operation Odessa - Documentary.  Synopsis from Google:  In the early 1990s, three friends set out to hustle the Russian mob, the Cali cartel and the DEA for the score of a lifetime.  Some interesting characters involved.

Stumbled upon it by accident.  I'm good friends with a couple that spent some time with Juan and Tarzan in all his 90s glory.  I remembered their stories about Tarzan so texted them as soon as I figured out the subject matter.  They watched it also and said their teen daughter was freaked out that her parents knew these guys.    :lmao:  
Really really good. Completely nuts.

For those that watched it, I may have missed it but:

Did the cartel guys end up killing Tony’s family? [\spoiler]

Starz:

Once Upon a Time in the West

Watched last night for the first time. I'm not sure how I've never seen this flick before but I must say it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Amazing cinematography and acting. It is long and some scenes could have definitely been edited down- there is a lot of eyeball closeups but they are mesmerizing. 

Bronson, Fonda and Robards are all amazing.

I found another Sergio Leone that I have not seen that I will take in sometime today, My Name is Nobody. 100 on the 'mater meter.
My name is Nobody is a bit of a step down from the perfection that is Once Upon a Time in the West.
Claudia Cardinale :wub:  

Starz:

Once Upon a Time in the West

Watched last night for the first time. I'm not sure how I've never seen this flick before but I must say it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Amazing cinematography and acting. It is long and some scenes could have definitely been edited down- there is a lot of eyeball closeups but they are mesmerizing. 

Bronson, Fonda and Robards are all amazing.

I found another Sergio Leone that I have not seen that I will take in sometime today, My Name is Nobody. 100 on the 'mater meter.
My name is Nobody is a bit of a step down from the perfection that is Once Upon a Time in the West.
Claudia Cardinale :wub:  
How anybody could watch West and not start with Cardinale is beyond me. Molten hot.

But yeah...fantastic movie. At some viewing I figured out that each character had their own theme music...even if just broken down to a leitmotif. I was really high. 

My name is nobody is one of my faves from seeing it on TV a bunch in the 70s and 80s...although I haven't seen it since then. Iirc, it's much more camp than smart, but lots of fun.

The plot against America on HBO so far is just kind of there. 2.5 episodes in. If this was a series and not a 6-episode thing I may have bailed. It’s beautifully made, just not particularly interesting so far. 
I like it. Think it's well done and a glimpse into being Jewish in the 30's & 40's (which may or may not be any more accurate than any other minority depiction in TV and movies).

I think you're ignoring the genius of Seldon.

Hope this one has been mentioned, it not then it is a must-see for any National Lampoon aficionado.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)

If you’re a comedy nerd, A Futile and Stupid Gesture is a must-watch. The Netflix original film chronicles the origins of National Lampoon magazine through the eyes of co-founder Doug Kenney (Will Forte), a hilarious free spirit who would go on to co-write Animal House and Caddyshack before meeting an untimely end. Forte is the driving force of the film as it tracks the irreverent beginnings of National Lampoon, and the actor delivers a dynamic turn that is equal parts funny and sad. But Domhnall Gleeson nearly steals the show as his more dry partner Henry Beard, with cameos galore of folks playing famous actors from the time like Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Belushi, and Gilda Radner. Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models filmmaker David Wain directs with a knowing eye, but takes the drama inherent in Kenney’s tragedy seriously. – Adam Chitwood

Here we are: living on planet earth was very very good, especially if you have an inquisitive young’n at home :unsure:   :cry:  

His sister is one of the more annoying TV characters I've come across.  I couldn't bring myself to go on past S1. 
Funny, I don't mind her character at all. It's Doakes that I find to be so cartoonish that I hate almost every line he says.

Alpha Dog was trending on Netflix so I gave it a whirl. Solid crime drama based on a true story with some pretty good acting. Timberlake stealing scenes. But the truly amazing acting comes from Ben Foster (Claire's boyfriend in 6 Feet Under) who has some amazing Taekwandoe fight scenes and is a very believable crazy drug addict.

Alpha Dog was trending on Netflix so I gave it a whirl. Solid crime drama based on a true story with some pretty good acting. Timberlake stealing scenes. But the truly amazing acting comes from Ben Foster (Claire's boyfriend in 6 Feet Under) who has some amazing Taekwandoe fight scenes and is a very believable crazy drug addict.
Ben Foster is really good in everything he’s in. Watched 3:10 to Yuma recently and he’s right up there in scenes with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.

caught The Gift on Netflix last night.  it's a Jason Bateman movie, co-starred by Ben Affleck's girlfriend from The Town.

would give it like a 5-5.5/10

it had a chance to be solid, but the character development was not good. things just sort of..... happened... out of the blue without any premonition or backstory that seemed thrown in at the last minute.  like someone edited the script and just threw #### in to punch it up, but no one reviewed it again after that.

not worth the time unless you're desperate.

Ben Foster is really good in everything he’s in. Watched 3:10 to Yuma recently and he’s right up there in scenes with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.
Check out Hell or High Water on Netflix if you haven’t seen it yet

Ben Foster 

Chris Pine

Jeff Bridges

Alpha Dog is great, definitely  a hidden gem. Unbelievable cast...

Ben Foster

Timberlake,

Emile Hirsch

Anton Yelchin  :cry:

Sharon Stone 

Bruce Willis

Olivia Wilde

Just got an Email Netflix releasing Season 4 of The Last Kingdom Sun Sept 26th. One of my favorite shows. I binged watched all 3 seasons when season 3 came out last year. I was instantly hooked. I'm big on History and there is not many good Viking type shows. I use to watch Vikings but they changed the night it was on which is a shift I had for work so I missed a lot of it. I'll going back at some point and binge watching from season 1 eventually

caught The Gift on Netflix last night.  it's a Jason Bateman movie, co-starred by Ben Affleck's girlfriend from The Town.

would give it like a 5-5.5/10

it had a chance to be solid, but the character development was not good. things just sort of..... happened... out of the blue without any premonition or backstory that seemed thrown in at the last minute.  like someone edited the script and just threw #### in to punch it up, but no one reviewed it again after that.

not worth the time unless you're desperate.
I don't care how bad it is I watch anything with Bateman in it. Same with Jason Statham. Don't care if it's bad I'll most likely watch it

Alpha Dog is great, definitely  a hidden gem. Unbelievable cast...

Ben Foster

Timberlake,

Emile Hirsch

Anton Yelchin  :cry:

Sharon Stone 

Bruce Willis

Olivia Wilde
it really was a good movie... surprised the hell out of me.

reminded me just a little of that cooky noir, brick.

ive been catching up on movies from the last decade , thanks to previous thread where everyone listed there top 3-5
but tonight im going to start the new season of bosch  

good recommendation.  can’t believe I missed that first time around.

I'm trying to only watch movies I have not seen before (even though I'm a cult movie nut and rewatching is cultist). Last night it was:

Bullet Head

All star cast of Adrien Brody, John Malkovich and Antonio Banderas but the true star is a haunting oversized pit bull. Beware- there is dog violence.

Better than I expected thriller.

If you're looking for a silly half hour comedy to get you away from the 1 hour dramas, check out Miracle Workers: Dark Ages with Steve Buscemi and Daniel Radcliffe. That's season 2 of the series. We watched season 1 and that's good too but totally different so you don't need to watch one before the other. Fun show.

Anyone in here watching Brews Brothers on Netflix?  I am not sure when it it was released exactly, so perhaps it has been mentioned in here somewhere already.   It is a 2020 Netflix original series, so it hasn't been around too long.  If you are looking for something a little more on the mindless side of entertainment, this isn't a bad watch.  Its funny, its a little raunchy, its beer.  Sure, its a little stupid at times, but I am finding enough good laughs each episode to keep me coming back.  I am through 4 episodes thus far.

If you're looking for a silly half hour comedy to get you away from the 1 hour dramas, check out Miracle Workers: Dark Ages with Steve Buscemi and Daniel Radcliffe. That's season 2 of the series. We watched season 1 and that's good too but totally different so you don't need to watch one before the other. Fun show.
I’ve been meaning to try that.  I like anything Buscemi.

Users who are viewing this thread