Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)


KCC

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, krista4 said:

Nice!  Obviously there is fantastic acting here, great characters, and almost Shakespearean drama, but what I'm surprised by is how much heart and humanity there is in it, too.  I'm only through Season One, but the characters of the doctor, Trixie, Sol, the preacher (RIP), Jane, and even Ellsworth, Utter, and some of the others are so compelling to me.  Right now I put it only behind The Wire and The Leftovers (and Better Call Saul TBD) in my favorite series lineup.

Agree with all of that...and when I was watching I recall distinctly finding the writing to be Shakespearean..in a good, but flawed way. There was a uniformity of voice in the writing that moves between characters...felt a tiny bit disappointing, when everything else was handled so well. And yeah...as pointed out, the show needed another season at least to wrap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I read for years how great The Wire is - top 3/5/10 show all time.  I’m in to season 4 and I just don’t get it.  I mean, it’s good to very good and seems to be a fantastic biopic on Baltimore.  I’ve enjoyed the series but put it well below Breaking Bad, Sopranos and BCS.  I think in fairness to the show, I had different expectations about how the whole series would run.  Season 4 has been a grind with all the school house and election stuff.  It’s all tied together nicely but I enjoyed the police work and drug gang stuff from the first few seasons much more.  And if I recall several folks said season 5 may be the worst (hoping I remember that incorrectly).

It's a combination of incredible storylines (specifically Baltimore, but themes that transcend) where I was immersed in micro and macro ways slices of life I'd never seen done as well, and fell for the profound humanity shown across the board. "Bad" guys are just guys in situations that differ from the so called good guys, everybody trying to do right by theirs...with amazing actors handling it all. Even the non-actors put on ourstanding performances- a credit to the consistently incredible writing and direction. From the intro miniseries, the corner, I genuinely cared about all these people...and felt like I learned and thought about issues in a way that a documentary would typically show.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I read for years how great The Wire is - top 3/5/10 show all time.  I’m in to season 4 and I just don’t get it.  I mean, it’s good to very good and seems to be a fantastic biopic on Baltimore.  I’ve enjoyed the series but put it well below Breaking Bad, Sopranos and BCS.  I think in fairness to the show, I had different expectations about how the whole series would run.  Season 4 has been a grind with all the school house and election stuff.  It’s all tied together nicely but I enjoyed the police work and drug gang stuff from the first few seasons much more.  And if I recall several folks said season 5 may be the worst (hoping I remember that incorrectly).

you're not alone, GB - it gets ballwashed to death here, but, meh ... it's o.k. i guess - just never found it worthy of the ridiculous adulation :shrug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

you're not alone, GB - it gets ballwashed to death here, but, meh ... it's o.k. i guess - just never found it worthy of the ridiculous adulation :shrug:

It’s fine you don’t love it but it’s a consensus top-5/10 show all-time. It’s not just this board that loves it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

It’s fine you don’t love it but it’s a consensus top-5/10 show all-time. It’s not just this board that loves it. 

i'm aware, but using "here" as reference point, because "here" is where we're at. 

i'll say the same on IMDB, etc. 

i'll also toss in "Cheers", "Friends", "M.A.S.H." as shows that i'd rather eat cat #### with a knittin' needle than suffer through. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, krista4 said:

Nice!  Obviously there is fantastic acting here, great characters, and almost Shakespearean drama, but what I'm surprised by is how much heart and humanity there is in it, too.  I'm only through Season One, but the characters of the doctor, Trixie, Sol, the preacher (RIP), Jane, and even Ellsworth, Utter, and some of the others are so compelling to me.  Right now I put it only behind The Wire and The Leftovers (and Better Call Saul TBD) in my favorite series lineup.

Evidently one of these days I need to start on Better Call Saul.  

Near my top I'd probably have to make room for Six Feet Under.  So well done and end about as good as a series can.  :cry:

 

The moral of the story is people probably should just skip Netflix and pay for HBO instead... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Evidently one of these days I need to start on Better Call Saul.  

Near my top I'd probably have to make room for Six Feet Under.  So well done and end about as good as a series can.  :cry:

 

The moral of the story is people probably should just skip Netflix and pay for HBO instead... 

Maybe I’ll watch Six Feet Under next.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I read for years how great The Wire is - top 3/5/10 show all time.  I’m in to season 4 and I just don’t get it.  I mean, it’s good to very good and seems to be a fantastic biopic on Baltimore.  I’ve enjoyed the series but put it well below Breaking Bad, Sopranos and BCS.  I think in fairness to the show, I had different expectations about how the whole series would run.  Season 4 has been a grind with all the school house and election stuff.  It’s all tied together nicely but I enjoyed the police work and drug gang stuff from the first few seasons much more.  And if I recall several folks said season 5 may be the worst (hoping I remember that incorrectly).

:goodposting: Maybe it was the hype I was seeing on here about it but The Wire was average at best.  I aborted midway through season 4.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2020 at 4:33 PM, El Floppo said:

Still slowly getting through the recent season of Babylon Berlin after the wife goes to sleep. Still good...and while I'm in awe of them, I think the directors went a little overboard on the silent movie set/filming. NM....it's all pretty fantastically art directed 

Anybody else watch this?

I wrapped it up last night. Big fan of the immersion into the period and liked just about everything in it- art direction especially. So I'll recommend. 

That said...it wrapped weakly imo- and last two eps fell off steeply.

I found the forensics guy being the culprit a stretch, and/or not handled well...especially his victory speech and sudden ability to have to physically do stuff .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Announcing the April 27 launch of the Prime Video presents the SXSW 2020 Film Festival Collection from Amazon Prime Video and SXSW with 39 films, composed of narrative and documentary features, short films, and episodic titles

https://www.sxsw.com/film/2020/amazon-prime-video-sxsw-film-fest-collection-april-27/?mod=article_inline

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Anybody else watch this?

I wrapped it up last night. Big fan of the immersion into the period and liked just about everything in it- art direction especially. So I'll recommend. 

That said...it wrapped weakly imo- and last two eps fell off steeply.

  Hide contents

I found the forensics guy being the culprit a stretch, and/or not handled well...especially his victory speech and sudden ability to have to physically do stuff .

This season just didn’t capture my attention like the others.  I kind of only half paid attention to it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Announcing the April 27 launch of the Prime Video presents the SXSW 2020 Film Festival Collection from Amazon Prime Video and SXSW with 39 films, composed of narrative and documentary features, short films, and episodic titles

https://www.sxsw.com/film/2020/amazon-prime-video-sxsw-film-fest-collection-april-27/?mod=article_inline

Now that's an awesome idea! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, stbugs said:

I watched it and I watched Outer Banks with my youngest. I kind of liked OB a little more but Brews Brothers was entertaining enough. There are some serious series that I never watched but I’m not quite ready to jump in for hours and hours so those two were quicker you can watch the series in a few days.

Outer Banks is really good.  Best Netflix series in a while - great setting and vibe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2020 at 11:02 AM, jamny said:

Season 2 of Ricky Gervais' After Life is out on Netflix

Loved the first season

Thanks for the suggestion.

Watched season 1 last night - what a great show.

The part with the breast milk rice pudding had me rolling - still chuckling.

Looking forward to watching season 2.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, =Smackdown= said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Watched season 1 last night - what a great show.

The part with the breast milk rice pudding had me rolling - still chuckling.

Looking forward to watching season 2.

The old lady interview that starts off season 2 is hilarious 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

Extraction was pretty good in a brainless action movie kind of way. 

No it wasn't.  Holy hell was that bad.  Watched it last night with my wife and son and wish I could get that time back for something else.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, =Smackdown= said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Watched season 1 last night - what a great show.

The part with the breast milk rice pudding had me rolling - still chuckling.

Looking forward to watching season 2.

Still on the first season, but it's great so far. And I generally don't like Gervais.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2019 at 6:52 AM, Capella said:

Chef Show is pretty good for a cooking show. Feel like I’ve learned a few things already. 

My wife and I are blowing through this. Features Jon Favreau (Swingers, Elf, Ironman, Chef) and the concept is basically a continuation of the prep for the movie Chef (which is fantastic). In Chef, Favreau plays a classically trained chef who burns out after a harsh review and rediscovers his love of cooking by opening up a food truck. This series features Favreau and friend/celebrity chef Roy Choi (whose personal story matches that of the protagonist of the movie Chef) basically recreating recipes from the movie. Favreau plays the apprentice role here and there are some great guests (Bill Burr, Seth Rogen). The show has a lot of heart and I’m also learning a lot about cooking.  Highly recommend.

Edited by D_House
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thecatch said:

Extraction was pretty good in a brainless action movie kind of way. 

Agreed.  Worth the watch, great fight scenes.  No real depth and very basic story but no one is watching this should have been expecting either. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With " Dead to me" season two coming in a week or so, thought we'd start rewatching season one. 

I forgot how funny it was and all the twists thrown into the first episode...

Only 30 minutes per episode and I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jamny said:

I loved the first season of True Detective but couldn't make it through the second one.

Is season 3 worth checking out?

yes we just don’t talk about season 2.  Season 3 isn’t as good as 1, but it’s solid.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Did anyone make it through Tales From the Loop? I think I’m tapping out after 3 episodes unless there’s some hope it gets better. 

That's as far as we got. I liked it ok, but never really picked up momentum. Iirc, I previously said each episode had it's twighlight zone reveal, but took a while to set them up.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Did anyone make it through Tales From the Loop? I think I’m tapping out after 3 episodes unless there’s some hope it gets better. 

I made it through. Gets a little easier just because you recognize all the characters, but it never even approaches moving “fast” or even “upbeat” for that matter.

I liked it way more than the Amazing Stories reboot.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some things we've watched through 1.5 months of quarantine:

 

True Detective season 2: meh not good

True Detective season 3: good, would probably be great if not for the existence of season 1

True Detective season 1 rewatch: So ####### good, I remembered loving it but it was even better than I could have remembered. 

Community: Incredible for 3 seasons, then pretty bad. Still, a classic while it lasts

Euphoria: Loved it, didn't expect to

Anna: pretty bad as far as Russian spy movies go, but some of the action scenes were top notch

The Outsider: Love Mendehlson so I wanted to like this, but man was it bad and predictable. They really drag out the uh "twist" I guess for a while even though it's obvious. It's like an 8-hour dragged out episode of Supernatural, back in the early days when the monster of the week episodes were actually kinda good for that era of TV. This was just tedious with really no big reveals at all. 

Sharp Objects: Slow burn but I loved it personally. Amy Adams' career is so underrated.

Westworld season 1: Incredible, deliberately planned, truly it's art. I watched and theorized here on the board when it originally aired and it's still good. 

Westworld season 2: Big solid "meh". Not as good as season 1, not nearly as many twists that hit correctly

Westworld season 3: Still a few episodes behind bc I decided I liked binging them more than doing one a week. Better than season 2 so far and bringing the show into a new genre really. I like it so far.

 

Now putting on my 🤓

Idk if this was ever popular or not, but I've started watching Farscape. Never saw it originally but wanted a sci-fi thing with lots of episodes and some still hold it in high regard. Expected it to be awful but the Jim Henson creature effects are actually cool and it's not as bad even in season 1 as I thought it would be (I read that it gets good after season 1). It reminds me of older New Dr. Who mixed with BSG a little. I have the imagination to look past some of the cheesiness even though it's not tied to nostalgia for me, and when I do that I can see a cool sci-fi story unfolding that tackles some heavier subjects as good sci-fi does.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Did anyone make it through Tales From the Loop? I think I’m tapping out after 3 episodes unless there’s some hope it gets better. 

I finished today. One reason I liked it is that I didn't feel the need to rush through. I took each episode as a chance to put away my phone and just zen out for an hour. 

I doubt I will ever revisit the show, but it served an important purpose during the pandemic.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Now putting on my 🤓

Idk if this was ever popular or not, but I've started watching Farscape. Never saw it originally but wanted a sci-fi thing with lots of episodes and some still hold it in high regard. Expected it to be awful but the Jim Henson creature effects are actually cool and it's not as bad even in season 1 as I thought it would be (I read that it gets good after season 1). It reminds me of older New Dr. Who mixed with BSG a little. I have the imagination to look past some of the cheesiness even though it's not tied to nostalgia for me, and when I do that I can see a cool sci-fi story unfolding that tackles some heavier subjects as good sci-fi does.

I watched this back in the day when it first aired I remember loving it! Just enough nod and wink mixed with some sci-fi drama to keep things moving at a good pace. The character development was strong as well.  Was disappointed when it was canceled. 

 

Enjoy the ride!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...