What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

:shrug: It came off as cheesy as hell.
We've had this conversation. The production values (special effects, sets, locations, # of extras etc.) are cheesy. The original budget was almost non-existant and it was so horribly mismanaged by Fox that it wasn't able to generate enough of a following early on to warrant additional money for more episodes. Often when you have a cheap looking show it creates the notion that everything about it must be cheap, that simply wasn't the case with FF. The actors were very well cast and the writing? That was top notch.

Fox dropped the ball on this one, properly handled it could have become Battlestar Galactia, which if you watch the mini-series you will see it also had many of the same problems that plagued FF.
This is a selling point? BG sucked Cylon nuts.
I see the problem here.

'Sconch said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Holy crap Chasing Amy sucked. Did you guys try Way of the Gun yet???
I finished Way of the Gun last night. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. I don't think I enjoyed it as much I thought I would. There were some things that just seemed a little sloppy. What was that opening scene all about? Despite it being pretty damn funny it had nothing to do with the rest of the movie.
Yea, the opening scene was just funny. hey ####suck! do you #### baby heads??I'd probably give it a 4. It's not the Usual Suspects, but it's a decent movie. Kind of out there.

'jdoggydogg said:
'facook said:
It's been mentioned in this thread, but another voice praising Sherlock. Very well done, very entertaining.
:hifive:The guy who plays Sherlock is outstanding.
Watched the 3rd and final episode last night.
Moriarty is GLORIOUSLY creepy.

I'm glad to see other documentary fans in this thread. Can't remember who came first between Michael Moore and SuperSizeMe guy, but whoever it was deserves a lot of credit for making this format as entertaining as it is. I don't think documentaries were intended for much more than educational purposes until those guys came along.
Really? Lots of fantastically entertaining docs long before those guys became mainstream. And Moore, as a recognized documentarian (is that a word?), predate Spurlock with Roger & Me (1998). Spurlock hit with Super Size Me in 2004.

'jdoggydogg said:
'facook said:
It's been mentioned in this thread, but another voice praising Sherlock. Very well done, very entertaining.
Not sure if it was in this thread or the other but I was actually disappointed with Moriarty. Seemed that he was trying too hard to channel the Heath Ledger/Joker. I think the character of Sherlock's brother would have been a much better mold for Moriarty as a pure evil genius with no explanation for his insanity rather than this version where the psychosis is so obviously teeming, unrestrained, on the surface of the character. I think Moriarty should be amoral rather than immoral.
But I look forward to seeing how they deal with the character going forward. It's a very entertaining show and well worth watching.

'jdoggydogg said:
'facook said:
Not sure if it was in this thread or the other but I was actually disappointed with Moriarty. Seemed that he was trying too hard to channel the Heath Ledger/Joker. I think the character of Sherlock's brother would have been a much better mold for Moriarty as a pure evil genius with no explanation for his insanity rather than this version where the psychosis is so obviously teeming, unrestrained, on the surface of the character. I think Moriarty should be amoral rather than immoral.
But I look forward to seeing how they deal with the character going forward. It's a very entertaining show and well worth watching.

Interesting. I'd be on board with that. All I know is that for 13 minutes (or whatever) that he was on the show, I was completely enthralled.

It's really interesting to read up on some of the wikipedia & other articles on Sherlock... how closely they follow, yet slightly update, the original stories. His first line upon meeting Watson, along the lines of "I see you've been serving in Afghanistan", is the same as Doyle's books... Dr. Watson had served with the British forces there in the 1880s.

Another one (slight spoiler, going to remove title/episode info):

In one of the books, Holmes lures out the bad guy with the ring the victim lost off her finger in a struggle... in the TV version, Holmes lures out the bad guy by "ringing" the victim's lost cell phone.

It's really interesting to read up on some of the wikipedia & other articles on Sherlock... how closely they follow, yet slightly update, the original stories. His first line upon meeting Watson, along the lines of "I see you've been serving in Afghanistan", is the same as Doyle's books... Dr. Watson had served with the British forces there in the 1880s.

Another one (slight spoiler, going to remove title/episode info):

In one of the books, Holmes lures out the bad guy with the ring the victim lost off her finger in a struggle... in the TV version, Holmes lures out the bad guy by "ringing" the victim's lost cell phone.
That's very clever. I must say, that as a big fan of the original PBS Jeremy Brett series, I was extremely skeptical of this new series. But they hit it out of the park.

Those of you that recommended Animal Kingdom...well done. Solid movie.
Wasn't that mom an incredible character?
Yeah, she was awesome. Pretty great acting all around as well.
:goodposting: Compelling movie.
Well worth watching and impressive overall. Maybe a little predictable at points. An easy movie to get sucked in to.
It reminded me a lot of the old 80s movie "At Close Range". I guess both movies were based on true stories. At least Animal Kingdom was inspired by one.

Black Death....I think it had it at a 4.2/5 recommendation for me. Shouldve been more like a 2.2/5. This was pretty bad. Have no idea how the hell its rated so highly.

Black Death....I think it had it at a 4.2/5 recommendation for me. Shouldve been more like a 2.2/5. This was pretty bad. Have no idea how the hell its rated so highly.
I would rate it slightly higher than you but not much.Harry Brown wasn't too bad but nothing to be in a hurry to watch.

I Saw the Devil is pretty good but is way too long. If this movie were 1:40 instead of 2:24 it would be quite a bit more enjoyable.

So I stumbled on the show "Human Wrecking Ball" recently.

Awesome

Awesome

Awesome

You got two guys, the Pumphrey brothers, who hold multiple world records in breaking competitions. They are capable of dismantling nearly anything man made with their bare hands and steel toe boots. Helicopters, airplanes, buses, post offices, arcades, whatever. They are decked head to toe in Affliction gear and talk smack the entire time. The D-bag level is off the charts in a totally awesome way. They need to add these guys to the Ocean's 11 crew.

5/5 - Simply amazing

Holy crap Chasing Amy sucked. Did you guys try Way of the Gun yet???
Chasing Amy is a top 10 movie all time for me, but I never feel good about recommending it to anyone, so I pretty much don't. It's very much a Kevin Smith movie, with all the good and all the bad that entails. I think it is one of those "in the moment" movies, where you had to be in the right place, right time when you first saw it and it just sticks with you.
So you were a loser dating a curiously unattractive bi-sexual woman when you first saw it?
Exactly.
That is the same reason why I hate it.

So I stumbled on the show "Human Wrecking Ball" recently.AwesomeAwesomeAwesomeYou got two guys, the Pumphrey brothers, who hold multiple world records in breaking competitions. They are capable of dismantling nearly anything man made with their bare hands and steel toe boots. Helicopters, airplanes, buses, post offices, arcades, whatever. They are decked head to toe in Affliction gear and talk smack the entire time. The D-bag level is off the charts in a totally awesome way. They need to add these guys to the Ocean's 11 crew.5/5 - Simply amazing
:blackdot:My son loves when they blow #### up on Mythbusters, so we'll have to give this a shot.

So I stumbled on the show "Human Wrecking Ball" recently.AwesomeAwesomeAwesomeYou got two guys, the Pumphrey brothers, who hold multiple world records in breaking competitions. They are capable of dismantling nearly anything man made with their bare hands and steel toe boots. Helicopters, airplanes, buses, post offices, arcades, whatever. They are decked head to toe in Affliction gear and talk smack the entire time. The D-bag level is off the charts in a totally awesome way. They need to add these guys to the Ocean's 11 crew.5/5 - Simply amazing
:blackdot:My son loves when they blow #### up on Mythbusters, so we'll have to give this a shot.
I like Mythbusters, but this is 100x more entertaining. They do talk about the science aspects to what they are doing and create a lot of simple machines to exert force, but it basically comes down to brute strength.

Watched The Crow last night. Still holds up well for me. 1994 was just an amazing year for movies.
If were talking '94, Id have to say music > movies but thats probably because it was pretty much all downhill from there popular music wise.
I think there's tons of good music out there if you're tapped into the alternative streams.
Oh, there definitely is. I might even say more good music was released in the 00's than the 90's, but Hollywood is forever popular. There was a lot of good big movies in '94, but popular music, Im talking mostly alternative rock and hip hop, was still great and pretty much the dominant music on the charts. These days its pop that calls itself country and rap (not hip hop) that dominates the charts. I'd definitely lean Hollywood these days.

Watched The Crow last night. Still holds up well for me. 1994 was just an amazing year for movies.
If were talking '94, Id have to say music > movies but thats probably because it was pretty much all downhill from there popular music wise.
I think there's tons of good music out there if you're tapped into the alternative streams.
Oh, there definitely is. I might even say more good music was released in the 00's than the 90's, but Hollywood is forever popular. There was a lot of good big movies in '94, but popular music, Im talking mostly alternative rock and hip hop, was still great and pretty much the dominant music on the charts. These days its pop that calls itself country and rap (not hip hop) that dominates the charts. I'd definitely lean Hollywood these days.
I was just talking movies. :shrug:

I was just talking movies. :shrug:
Yeah, I sidetracked. Good year. :hifive:

Started to watch Red Riding: Part I but not sure if I'll stick with it. Normally I don't have much of a problem understanding heavy Brit accents but this is ridiculous. 10 minutes into it and there's a character (the main character's editor?) who sounds worse than Keith Richards.

I like to call it Teeny Bopper Bull####.

Back on topic, gonna throw in one last recommendation for Claymore (dark anime). It is stellar in every way imagineable, from the music, to the animation, to the voice acting to the adult and sometimes disturbing nature of the show.

A couple buddies plowed through it in 3 nights. Another good friend of mine had a day off from work recently and ended up watching all 26 episodes that day.

I would have never in a million years bothered to watch this show if sports_fan hadn't mentioned it in here earlier, so big props to him that way.

I really hate this new interface for instant. Looking at their blog the feedback has been overwhelmingly negative, to the point where I am surprised they haven't switched it back.

Back on topic, gonna throw in one last recommendation for Claymore (dark anime). It is stellar in every way imagineable, from the music, to the animation, to the voice acting to the adult and sometimes disturbing nature of the show.

A couple buddies plowed through it in 3 nights. Another good friend of mine had a day off from work recently and ended up watching all 26 episodes that day.

I would have never in a million years bothered to watch this show if sports_fan hadn't mentioned it in here earlier, so big props to him that way.
:thumbup: People are missing out by not giving this a chance. Batman: Under the Red Hood got a lot of praise in this thread after I mentioned it, this show is better.

I bet I have watched that movie over 1,000 times...although I haven't seen it in the past 10 years. What a cheesy/amazing/hokey/awesome movie.

I really hate this new interface for instant. Looking at their blog the feedback has been overwhelmingly negative, to the point where I am surprised they haven't switched it back.
When I first saw it, I liked it and I even mentioned it a page or two back in this thread. But now after using it, I hate it. I stream through my Mac Mini that's hooked up to my TV and it the webpage never opens correctly anymore. That might be more my problem than the websites so I gotta look into it some more.

Finally turned on "This Film is not yet Rated" thanks to the posts in this thread. Good documentary so far, about halfway through and will finish it tonight.

Also really enjoying the "America: the story of us" series and just started Sons of Anarchy :thumbup:
Good stuff. Watched it over the past week and a half and found it interesting from start to finish.

Had some mindless watching today.

Iron Man 2 - not as good as the first one, but has it's moments

The New Guy - I consider it a better than average high school comedy, watch it for no other reason than the Eliza Dushku bikini montage scene.

Finally turned on "This Film is not yet Rated" thanks to the posts in this thread. Good documentary so far, about halfway through and will finish it tonight.

Also really enjoying the "America: the story of us" series and just started Sons of Anarchy :thumbup:
Good stuff. Watched it over the past week and a half and found it interesting from start to finish.
"The Story of US" is a pretty fun watch. I show bits and pieces to my students when the video matches up with the standard I'm teaching. The kids love the CGI etc. The "celebrity" commentary cracks me up though. Michael Strahan talking about iron workers? I'm not sure which episode it is but they had Rick from Pawn Stars putting in his two cents. :lmao:

Wife and I started Twin Peaks last night. Pretty dated in a lot of ways, but man was the pilot a well-written piece of tv.

After seeing Sons of Anarchy mentioned a number of times here I finally gave in and tried it. Not really in my favorite genre, but damn this show is good. Really good. Give it 5 episodes and you will be hooked.

"The Story of US" is a pretty fun watch. I show bits and pieces to my students when the video matches up with the standard I'm teaching. The kids love the CGI etc. The "celebrity" commentary cracks me up though. Michael Strahan talking about iron workers? I'm not sure which episode it is but they had Rick from Pawn Stars putting in his two cents. :lmao:
Yea, that's what kind of killed the mini series for me. Didn't puff daddy appear as well?!Has anybody watched that Bigfoot hunters show? Weirdos.

Users who are viewing this thread