Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

KCC

12 hours ago, shuke said:

Is the documentary any good, though?  I watched the first episode and it was absolutely all over the place.  

It was good, not great. I fast forwarded through some parts, like when they spent too much time with family recollections that didn't really add to the story. I'm sure some people like that part of it but I was more interested in the relevant parts. They could have cut it down to 3 hours.  

20 hours ago, Peak said:

Just finished Rectify with the wife.  Not sure how much I really liked it.  There were parts that held my attention, and others that seemed to drag on.  I think part of it is that they didn't get into the entire backstory of the initial crime until season 2.  It took awhile to hold my attention, but it was decent.  I wouldn't watch it again.

I think that's because the show isn't really about the crime. Its not a whodunit. Its a character study. And a view into how the crime affected everyone around it.

ETA: I loved Rectify. I thought it was one of the best shows of the 2010s. 

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

At some point Amazon Prime got all 6 seasons of Cougar Town for free in the recent past. Not a sitcom for everyone on this thread but if you like quirky and sarcastic humor it’s hilarious. If you can look past the terrible name (which even the show makes fun of in subsequent seasons), and like Bill Lawrence shows (Scrubs, Sin City) you’ll probably like this one. Very similar feel to Scrubs and lots of cameos. The last 3 seasons were on TBS and pretty good to just ok, but the first 3 when it was on ABC are great if you like this type of humor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mr. furley said:

the first episode is definitely scattershot as they try to set up all the parts to the story

in that respect the podcast is better in that it's sequential and you hear Wayne Williams being interviewed in his own words.

So the HBO doc doesn't have any interviews with Williams?

4 hours ago, Jobber said:

I’m a few episodes into Deadwood on HBO and like it so far. 

Hugely jealous of you.  One of my favorite shows ever, and Al Swearingen is a top 5 TV Character of All Time.  Be sure to watch the movie after you've finished, it's a good one

• Like 2
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, shuke said:

So the HBO doc doesn't have any interviews with Williams?

so far there are short snippets of him talking.  there's some video of him from old news footage, etc.  haven't made it all the way through the whole show so not sure if he gets showcased more or not.

this is the podcast i was thinking of:  https://atlantamonster.com/ . 

1 minute ago, mr. furley said:

so far there are short snippets of him talking.  there's some video of him from old news footage, etc.  haven't made it all the way through the whole show so not sure if he gets showcased more or not.

Not really. A few comments here and there but nothing deep.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

Hugely jealous of you.  One of my favorite shows ever, and Al Swearingen is a top 5 TV Character of All Time.  Be sure to watch the movie after you've finished, it's a good one

I nearly through Season 2 right now, but I struggled a lot with the first half of this season.  You have one of the most interesting characters on TV (Swearingen) and for 4-5 episodes all he does is pass a kidney stone?  Luckily it’s gotten better again now that he’s back in action.

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I nearly through Season 2 right now, but I struggled a lot with the first half of this season.  You have one of the most interesting characters on TV (Swearingen) and for 4-5 episodes all he does is pass a kidney stone?  Luckily it’s gotten better again now that he’s back in action.

It's been so long...but iirc, the kidney stone allows the people around him to he funny, or maybe it was just his exasperation towards the people around him ramping up to 11 that was funny.

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's been so long...but iirc, the kidney stone allows the people around him to he funny, or maybe it was just his exasperation towards the people around him ramping up to 11 that was funny.

There was definitely some funny going on surrounding it.  I think the funny would have been better encapsulated in, say, one episode, though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

It's probably been mentioned, but it's truly impressive just how awful Amazon's interface is. It's like they are actively trying to get people to go back over to Netflix. 

Imo their selection >>>>>> NF, so I usually don't think about it too much.  

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

It shows you several things during that time though.  Al is a tough SOB, and the fact that he fought for several episodes is meant to drag out, to show you it wasn't a quick one and done thing, especially back then before lithotripsy and modern medicine.  He won't be killed or knocked down no matter what.  The show had focused on him so much to that point, it allowed a chance to showcase and build other characters, without Al hogging up all the screen time.  But the most important thing is it showed just what a hold he had on the entire town. While he was laid up, nothing really happened around town, no deals got made, everyone knew he was holed up sick and he was still the talk of the town.  IIRC Tolliver was about the only person who saw Al's illness as a chance to take advantage and act while he could, but he was new in town, looking to steal Al's customers, and make a name for himself.  That half season of Al being down-but-not-out just served to cement him as the unofficial tyrant of Deadwood. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wlwiles said:

It shows you several things during that time though.  Al is a tough SOB, and the fact that he fought for several episodes is meant to drag out, to show you it wasn't a quick one and done thing, especially back then before lithotripsy and modern medicine.  He won't be killed or knocked down no matter what.  The show had focused on him so much to that point, it allowed a chance to showcase and build other characters, without Al hogging up all the screen time.  But the most important thing is it showed just what a hold he had on the entire town. While he was laid up, nothing really happened around town, no deals got made, everyone knew he was holed up sick and he was still the talk of the town.  IIRC Tolliver was about the only person who saw Al's illness as a chance to take advantage and act while he could, but he was new in town, looking to steal Al's customers, and make a name for himself.  That half season of Al being down-but-not-out just served to cement him as the unofficial tyrant of Deadwood. 

This is a great analysis, and I appreciate @El Floppo's reminder of the comedy of it, too.  I think you both make terrific points, but I should have mentioned the bigger issue with it all, which is that his absence allowed them to "showcase" the two people who are by far the least interesting on the show - Bullock and Mrs. Garret.  If they could both be shot into space I would enjoy this show 1000x more than I do.  As it is, it's still fantastic.  Without them, it would reach "greatest of all time" perhaps.  I still have more than a season plus a movie to watch, so my opinion will continue to evolve.

ETA:  I should mention that the focus on Mrs. Garret at least gave us the former nanny or tutor or whatever from Chicago, who is a tasty character.

Edited by krista4

9 hours ago, wlwiles said:

100% agree with this entire post.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Wrapped up S2 of Castle Rock. 

Stays at a very low simmer and doesn't really go up or down. Iirc, s1 had some flat out great moments that made it more worthwhile, even if uneven.

Agree. 

Lizzy Caplan was great in S2 and thought she was eerily spot on with her portrayal. It was such a stark change from Party Down which is what I saw her in right before CR.

On a side note,  Party Down is hilarious and definitely worth a watch if you have Hulu.

13 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Imo their selection >>>>>> NF, so I usually don't think about it too much.  

I generally agree, although Prime is losing all their HBO content on May 20th, so that'll hurt. 

I don't mind fooling with the interface too much, but for some reason, streaming Prime Video through my Roku literally knocks out the internet for the whole house. It does it every single time. Casting it to a Chromecast works fine. But it's basically unusable for me with a Roku (I assume it's their way of telling me to get a Fire stick). 

7 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Stick with it.  The character development is a strength of the show so it only gets better and better

Al: who stole the dope?!

Wu: cksuckers!

Al: Like me? Two WHITE CKSUCKERS?!

Wu: CKSUCKERS!

I about died watching this back and forth in the last episode I just watched. What a show.

• Like 5

On 3/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, KarmaPolice said:

Just busting balls.  I thought Supernatural was more teen/YA and just giving you crap.  Hey - one of my faves of all time is Buffy. Wife and I (back in the day when we actually watched stuff together) we went through Veronica Mars and True Blood.    Like you guys said, WGAF - like what you like and use whatever distractions you want to take some stress off.  

Never watched it when it was on back in the day, so I've been going through Veronica Mars. Its pretty fun. I'm enjoying it. And, of course, Kristen Bell.

51 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Never watched it when it was on back in the day, so I've been going through Veronica Mars. Its pretty fun. I'm enjoying it. And, of course, Kristen Bell.

Veronica Mars was a really good show.  Haven't seen the movie or the recent season though.  

Edited by KarmaPolice

5 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

I generally agree, although Prime is losing all their HBO content on May 20th, so that'll hurt. 

I don't mind fooling with the interface too much, but for some reason, streaming Prime Video through my Roku literally knocks out the internet for the whole house. It does it every single time. Casting it to a Chromecast works fine. But it's basically unusable for me with a Roku (I assume it's their way of telling me to get a Fire stick). 

That does hurt, but I wasn't even talking about the Hbo stuff.  I think the movie selection is a lot better on Prime.  

That is weird.  I guess I dont use the roku much with Prime.  Never encountered something like that.  

On 5/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, wlwiles said:

Actually, plot wise, Al being out of action was integral as several significant things did occur - most importantly Hearst (via proxies) got his hooks buried, which wouldn't have happened so easily if Al was able to function. It may have seemed like a strange decision to keep Swearingen in the background from an entertainment perspective, but it was necessary to the overall development of the story. The rest of the season (and series really) is spent dealing with the things that happened while Al was not able to prevent them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Actually, plot wise, Al being out of action was integral as several significant things did occur - most importantly Hearst (via proxies) got his hooks buried, which wouldn't have happened so easily if Al was able to function. It may have seemed like a strange decision to keep Swearingen in the background from an entertainment perspective, but it was necessary to the overall development of the story. The rest of the season (and series really) is spent dealing with the things that happened while Al was not able to prevent them.

Thanks for this.  Without getting into spoilers, I wondered if this was key to the overall development.  I figured it might be considering these are smart people writing it, much smarter than I am, with the story arcs.

• Like 1

Hooked after one episode of What We Do In The Shadows. I tried watching the movie but admittedly wasnt in the right mood at the time and intended on getting back to it. I will after watching the series though.

• Like 2

Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics

This doc was much more entertaining than I anticipated. While it's been 35 years since I've dropped any acid or taken a mushroom these celeb's stories reminded me of some of my wilder exploits. Sting, Carrie Fisher, Ben Stiller and various comedians rehash some of their experiences with funny animations.

Do not drive!

Do not look in a mirror!

Pick the right friends to accompany.

Pick the right place to waste 12 hours.

Pick the right music.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics

This doc was much more entertaining than I anticipated. While it's been 35 years since I've dropped any acid or taken a mushroom these celeb's stories reminded me of some of my wilder exploits. Sting, Carrie Fisher, Ben Stiller and various comedians rehash some of their experiences with funny animations.

Do not drive!

Do not look in a mirror!

Pick the right friends to accompany.

Pick the right place to waste 12 hours.

Pick the right music.

I am in.  I spent my 20's on acid.  Cannot wait to watch

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I am in.  I spent my 20's on acid.  Cannot wait to watch

I'll check this out and hope for some flashbacks. Tried shrooms and acid a few times. Trippin' for us was usually mesc back in the day. 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:32 PM, Tolstoy said:

This Jerry Seinfeld thing is not good

On 5/8/2020 at 10:40 PM, hxperson said:

Really?  I loved it.  The bit about marriage was brilliant

My wife loved it...was laughing her ### off and said I had to watch it.  I fell asleep during it.

Hollywood- half way through this not knowing what this was about per se and largely on the Ryan Murphy pedigree. A lot of gay sex thus far. 7/10.

Into the Night- When the sun starts to kill everything in its path, a plane full of passengers must travel at night in an attempt to escape its destructive power and find some place safe. Has a Strain vibe to it for sure. 8/10.

Dead to Me, Season 2- picks up where season 1 left off.  First 2 episodes start a tad slowly but still excellent overall. 8/10.

New Seinfeld special- at the start, sounded like he was yelling, which was weird but liked his bits about cell phone use and marriage. 8/10.

Reckoning- A teen's grisly murder in a suburban Northern California town sets two fathers on a course of mutual destruction. Decent enough crime mini-series. 7/10.

Outer Banks- half way through this YA themed show and liking it more than I thought I would.  8/10.

Mrs Serial Killer- When a doctor gets jailed for a string of shocking murders, his loyal wife sets out to commit a copycat crime to prove his innocence. Indian movie unlike the usual Bollywood fare. 7/10.

Caliphate- A looming ISIS attack on Sweden entangles the fates of five young women, including a mother in a bind, an ambitious agent, and a spirited student. As a viewer, lots of " what you you doing ? " throughout this season and some grisly violence. 8/10.

• Like 1

Xfinity has some free premium content this week, including Hulu. Watching Ramy on Hulu. Funny (aside from one episode related to 9/11), short (about 22 minute) episodes about a Muslim guy growing up in New Jersey.

• Like 1

I'm about 3 episodes into The Man in the High Castle ..

The only issue I have so far is "The Marshall".. Dislike when any show has a character who happens upon every piece of evidence needed..

" Hey, I'll just stop right here on the bridge where a drawing of the girl I am looking for happens to still be after hours of her losing it.. I am THAT good" .. 

Other than that part, Really enjoying it so far :thumbup:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, brun said:

Xfinity has some free premium content this week, including Hulu. Watching Ramy on Hulu. Funny (aside from one episode related to 9/11), short (about 22 minute) episodes about a Muslim guy growing up in New Jersey.

Great recommendation, really liked Ramy.  I thought I heard a season 2 is coming later this month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snogger said:

The only issue I have so far is "The Marshall".. Dislike when any show has a character who happens upon every piece of evidence needed..

Hide contents

" Hey, I'll just stop right here on the bridge where a drawing of the girl I am looking for happens to still be after hours of her losing it.. I am THAT good" .. 

If its not too late for you pull the rip cord on high castle.  I really really disliked it and made myself finish it because of what I had invested in it.

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:
1 hour ago, snogger said:

Reveal hidden contents

If its not too late for you pull the rip cord on high castle.  I really really disliked it and made myself finish it because of what I had invested in it.

if he's into it so far, it's not like it gets worse.

fwiw- I liked it ok and finished the show... mostly from a conceptual standpoint, and also from some extremely quality acting performances (mostly the elder japanese). the young leads were all pretty poor, and the overall storyline and writing didn't do a good job of taking that concept to a better place it deserved. but the world-building was good- and IIRC, snogger is one of the resident TWD die-hards.... as such (and his ability to not be bothered by a myriad of stuff within a tv show) I think he'll enjoy this on.

17 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I think it was ultimately a little disappointing in that it mostly wasted a fascinating premise, but I don't think it was bad.

• Thanks 1

Caught up on Ozark, season 3 dragged a bit but still very good

Started Sneaky Pete, through season one, can be predictable but it's solid, like the characters 

Started Dead to Me, decent

Rewatching Community, still $

For the Netflix subscribers with kids(or even not with kids). Avatar the last Airbender animated series is coming soon(May 15th I think). I highly recommend it.