What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (11 Viewers)

hot take alert:  my wife picked up The Office last night.  not sure which season. 

she watched 4 in a row.

tried going in with an unbiased eye and ear. not once did i even smirk. not even... close. as my wife is the type of person to finish what she starts even if she doesn't like the show at all, i'm buckling up for weeks of this show being on tv. this might be what breaks me.

hot take alert:  my wife picked up The Office last night.  not sure which season. 

she watched 4 in a row.

tried going in with an unbiased eye and ear. not once did i even smirk. not even... close. as my wife is the type of person to finish what she starts even if she doesn't like the show at all, i'm buckling up for weeks of this show being on tv. this might be what breaks me.
UK or US.

If it's the US, I will say that I gave up after the first season. I didnt really like what they did after loving the UK version. I came back halfway through the 2nd season after hearing a lot of good things and it went on to become one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

UK or US.

If it's the US, I will say that I gave up after the first season. I didnt really like what they did after loving the UK version. I came back halfway through the 2nd season after hearing a lot of good things and it went on to become one of my favorite sitcoms ever.
US version.  we watched the first few episodes when the US series first aired out of sheer masochism, but could not continue.  wife thought because it got such rave reviews over the years that maybe if she picked it up again it would be funny to her this time around, i guess.  oof.

have only seen the first 2 episodes of the UK version, but didn't continue with it.

My daughters enjoys sitcoms like Silicon Valley, Veep, The Office, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Superstore and The Good Place

Would she like Schitt's Creek?
it was funny in an SCTV kinda way... but we also jumped sometime during the 1st season. not bad- and I would've probably kept going, but the wife lost all interest... found it samesy with the humor.

have you and she watched Atypical?

US version.  we watched the first few episodes when the US series first aired out of sheer masochism, but could not continue.  wife thought because it got such rave reviews over the years that maybe if she picked it up again it would be funny to her this time around, i guess.  oof.

have only seen the first 2 episodes of the UK version, but didn't continue with it.
when you're a humorless sod, sit-coms kinda lose their value.

eta: I never made a point of watching every episode, but still found it funny enough when I did. Modern Family in the same boat. so it's strange to me that gb furls wouldn't find any joy here.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was funny in an SCTV kinda way... but we also jumped sometime during the 1st season. not bad- and I would've probably kept going, but the wife lost all interest... found it samesy with the humor.

have you and she watched Atypical?
I've been watching Schitt's Creek recently.  I thought it was really funny for the first three seasons but this season 4 isn't good at all.  The writing seems to have gotten much worse.  I'm not sure if I'll finish.

History Channel's miniseries on Grant starts tonight: 9 EST

Based on Ron Chernow’s critically acclaimed 2017 biography of the same name, it’s a stirring tribute to an individual who embodied America’s finest ideals: hard work, determination, courage, resolve, and belief in democracy and equality for all, no matter the color of their skin.
I’m enjoying it, and I do like Grant from a historical perspective, but I think they are whitewashing a bit too much. Lack of mention of Order #11, where he expelled Jews from his military district, for example. 

Check out Maniac on Netflix. Excellent show.

All star cast, great director. Surreal drama with dark, twisted humor that follows an unusual love story in a near-future dystopia. I couldn't stop watching it.

9-9.5/10 

Why does Amazon Prime and HboNow have to show me a commercial for another one of their shows before I watch a show?

I'm paying for this crap! Quit showing me unsolicited ads.

A couple episodes into Filthy Rich (Netflix).  Jeffrey Epstein story.   :shock:   Classic story of someone that thinks they are above the law, and for a long time was.  

Again, only a couple episodes in:

Basically setup an underage sex pyramid scheme with girls recruiting other girls.  Epstein had experience with financial pyramid schemes and was a talented con man and manipulator.  Hard to believe Ghislaine Maxwell wasn't also in jail.

Uncut Gems was a visual cluster#### at a frenetic pace.  I was glued.

I get why Sandler had Oscar discussion but no nomination, you feel like you need a shower after watching.
Just watched this. And I'm confused.  I liked the story, but all the yelling gave me ear fatigue. 

I almost stood and cheered when.....

Sandler was shot in the head. Finally shut up 

Just watched Uncut Gems last night

Fuuuuuuuu

I don't think I noticed until after it ended that I was finally able to take in a full, deep breath.

But yeah def fast paced. I remembered checking the time like 25-30 minutes in, and I'm like "where's the plot setup, what's a character's background here?" It just kinda places you full sprint in the middle of the story and I guess somewhere along the 2 hours you kinda just pick it all up.

Cheesy Netflix action movie with Ben Affleck called Triple Frontier.  Actually not that bad.  I liked it better than Extraction.

ShamrockPride said:

Fuuuuuuuu

I don't think I noticed until after it ended that I was finally able to take in a full, deep breath.

But yeah def fast paced. I remembered checking the time like 25-30 minutes in, and I'm like "where's the plot setup, what's a character's background here?" It just kinda places you full sprint in the middle of the story and I guess somewhere along the 2 hours you kinda just pick it all up.
Most stressful movie I've ever seen.

ShamrockPride said:

Fuuuuuuuu

Most stressful movie I've ever seen.
I’m not sure my heart rate dropped below 130bpm the entire time. I’ve never watch a movie that’s done that to me before.  Was nuts.  

I couldn't get through Uncut Gems. i started watching it and was just annoyed after about 20 minutes and cut it off. Picked it back up on the bedroom TV when I got into bed. Lasted another 20 minutes. It was just annoying- I didn't find anything good about it, at all.

Always late to the party, but we started Dead to Me last night and wow....this is good!  Enjoy the 30 minute episodes and I think we'll plow through this thing in a hurry.  
it's a good show, and I love the way Christina Applegate talks. when she starts dropping the f-bombs, it cracks me up.

I couldn't get through Uncut Gems. i started watching it and was just annoyed after about 20 minutes and cut it off. Picked it back up on the bedroom TV when I got into bed. Lasted another 20 minutes. It was just annoying- I didn't find anything good about it, at all.
did you at least make it to the scene of his girlfriend in lingerie?  because, oh my heavens.

it's a good show, and I love the way Christina Applegate talks. when she starts dropping the f-bombs, it cracks me up.
Her mom in the show was one of George Costanza's GFs in the early years of Seinfeld....the one who went to the loony bin after George told her the truth.
:bag:  that I know this but... her mom died when she was young.. You're thinking of her Mother in-law.. 

Just heard Kim's Convenience season 4 is up Wed 4/1.   :thumbup:

Definitely the right kind of really funny (but also feel-good) comedy to watch with the family right now.  Episodes are only ~20 min each, so easy to try out if you haven't yet. I think it's pretty underrated. 
S2E5 (Date Night) might be the hardest, most consistently I've laughed at a sitcom in a long time. This show is fantastic. 

Always late to the party, but we started Dead to Me last night and wow....this is good!  Enjoy the 30 minute episodes and I think we'll plow through this thing in a hurry.  
Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini both hit it out of the park.  The storyline is a bit too contrived at times, but the acting performances more than make up for it.  And there are no down episodes. A lot happens in each one.

I started watching The History Chanel series Alone on Prime. Almost through season one and it's a pretty great show. I know there was a thread at FBG about it a while back but I never watched it live, much easier to binge. Love the survival aspect of course but the transformation and introspection you see from the "contestants" is pretty amazing. Highly recommend season one(other seasons TBD :popcorn:  ). 

I started watching The History Chanel series Alone on Prime. Almost through season one and it's a pretty great show. I know there was a thread at FBG about it a while back but I never watched it live, much easier to binge. Love the survival aspect of course but the transformation and introspection you see from the "contestants" is pretty amazing. Highly recommend season one(other seasons TBD :popcorn:  ). 
This is one of my all-time favorite shows.  There was one season that was a little lame, but otherwise A+, and the most recent season (six) was fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread