What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (13 Viewers)

What's the FBG verdict on Shameless?  Worth getting into?
I'm still a couple seasons behind, so I don't know how it is lately, but the first 7 seasons or so are great at least.

It started right in the heart of the Breaking Bad/Mad Men era, then on into the explosion of streamers making content. I'd say it's the epitome of a "lost in the shuffle" show.

Definitely worth checking out. 

Statorama said:
I like the Amazon Prime show "Upload", but it's taking forever to get to where it's going.  It telegraphs every punch that's coming.  Cast is really good though.  They also make what's a pretty ludicrous idea seem plausible.  Closing in on the end of season one, and really hoping they wrap this up...but I get the bad feeling it's going to set up a very unsatisfying cliffhanger.
It’s ok.  The concept was fairly cool but I feel like the acting and production was subpar, probably not something I’d watch if I wasn’t stuck in quarantine 
thought I wrote something about this show, but couldn't find it. 

agree- not something I'd be all over if I literally didn't have anywhere or anything else to do. but I think it worked better than the leads casting- I actually liked some of the humor socio-political sci-fi commentary.

What's the FBG verdict on Shameless?  Worth getting into?
The first three or four seasons are really good, and then there are good moments as the series moves on, but the consistency was long gone by then.  Entertaining show, but not greatness by any means (especially by today's standards).  Emmy Rossum is gorgeous, though, which is always a huge benefit of watching. :wub:

The first three or four seasons are really good, and then there are good moments as the series moves on, but the consistency was long gone by then.  Entertaining show, but not greatness by any means (especially by today's standards).  Emmy Rossum is gorgeous, though, which is always a huge benefit of watching. :wub:
I started watching it pretty late, season 5 or 6 maybe, so I binged it and a lot of it runs together for me

agree the quality starts to drop but overall great show and I would definitely recommend 

frank is an all time great character 

This had a comically bad "actress" in a leading role, right? Like, Pamela Anderson?
Gina Cerano  :wub: - former MMA fighter, former American Gladiator (rebooted version).  Might have recognized her alongside The Rock in one of the F&F movies where she ends up being the bad guy's girlfriend, or she was in Deadpool as Francis' henchwoman who always chewed on the matchsticks.  

I was hoping The Last Days of American Crime might be good, but it is getting a 0% at RT.  Guess I will pass.

With dull as dirt performances and a plot that is more eye-roll-inducing that intriguing, every minute (of 148) feels like a punishment.

The Last Days of American Crime is bad and Netflix should feel bad...rambling, ugly, borderline incoherent...the real crime is that this movie even exists in the first place.

I'm sure we've all been eyeing that one... Thanks for posting that.

But I'm sure most of us will end up seeing it regardless. Collective :bag:

my lady and i watched some show called priest i think it was on prime and it was a priest that killed vampires in a distopyan future so i mean it had like all the essential elements of a nick cage film but no nick cage so i guess it was ok but if you are going to go full nick cage you go and hire the gd real deal that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigos 

Finished several of the 1 or 2 season series on Netflix and Prime in the last few weeks while bored/daydrinking (like right now :lol:  ) 

Among them:

MindHunters: I found it extremely captivating. Can't wait for more  :thumbup:  

Hunters: A bit cheesy but I like Pacino so gave it a pass. I'll watch more of it if they do more. 

Yellowstone: Some actors better than others, but despite that, really enjoyed it. Ready for more :thumbup:  (don't agree? meet me at the train station :D  )

White Lines: Meh. Visually nice, decent plot but blah execution.

Homecoming: Intriguing enough. I'll watch another season if they do another

Money Heist: Great plot. Terrible voiceover edits. If you can get past that, it's intriguing enough. :halfathumbup:

The Pharmacist: being the child of a pharmacist, this one caught my attention... HELL of a story. Worth a watch. :thumbup:  

Zero Zero Zero: Still in the middle of this one. I like drug cartel stuff (#justsayno for me) so I like it. Decent to good acting. Some hot women. :thumbup:  

She plays Cara Dune in the Mandalorian 
Ah.  Haven't seen that.  And I do realize that she is in other movies that have been mentioned (Deadpool, F&F franchise, etc).  But, this was her first movie I believe, which explains why she wasn't a good actress as mentioned.

Finished several of the 1 or 2 season series on Netflix and Prime in the last few weeks while bored/daydrinking (like right now :lol:  ) 

Zero Zero Zero: Still in the middle of this one. I like drug cartel stuff (#justsayno for me) so I like it. Decent to good acting. Some hot women. :thumbup:  
When you finish this one, please post your thoughts.  I'm looking for something to scratch my "Narcos" itch

I like the Amazon Prime show "Upload", but it's taking forever to get to where it's going.  It telegraphs every punch that's coming.  Cast is really good though.  They also make what's a pretty ludicrous idea seem plausible.  Closing in on the end of season one, and really hoping they wrap this up...but I get the bad feeling it's going to set up a very unsatisfying cliffhanger.
I was spot-on here as far as the ending of season 1 goes.  Oooof.  It's a solid case study of how not to do a season finale.  There's no momentum going into season two, and you can hear the weak "twist" for season two creaking in the background.

In normal times, this would just die.  It might benefit from the dearth of entertainment options and look like a hit in Amazons eyes and get picked up for another season.

I was spot-on here as far as the ending of season 1 goes.  Oooof.  It's a solid case study of how not to do a season finale.  There's no momentum going into season two, and you can hear the weak "twist" for season two creaking in the background.

In normal times, this would just die.  It might benefit from the dearth of entertainment options and look like a hit in Amazons eyes and get picked up for another season.
It wasn’t an earth shattering twist, but I was interested and definitely would have rolled right into the next season had it been available. It’s a pretty good show. It’s already been renewed. 

When you finish this one, please post your thoughts.  I'm looking for something to scratch my "Narcos" itch
You should watch it to scratch the itch. 

Has some faults for me- mostly the US family's running calamity of errors storyline- but overall very worth watching. Stunning locations around the world and some breakout performances- by the Mexican soldier especially.

Just finished Dead to Me and was looking for something to watch.  The wife and I like the outdoors and saw a show called Win the Wilderness on Netflix.  It's only 6 episodes, approx 45 minutes each were 6 couples from the UK "compete" to win a remote Alaskan home.  Thought it was worth watching, not high entertainment but passes the time.

It wasn’t an earth shattering twist, but I was interested and definitely would have rolled right into the next season had it been available. It’s a pretty good show. It’s already been renewed. 
I think Amazon is actually looking ahead on this one.  With binge watching, people won't see this as a "season-ender" in a traditional sense.

This show has done enough for me to check out season 2, but there is zero momentum for next season.

Spoiler thought below.

Thought for sure the end of the season would show that teacher turned detective swimming to shore OR adding something that put a more sinister edge on things.  Just kind of fell flat for me, as it's pretty obvious someone added that memory of the main guy being a d-bag during the upload.  And more than likely it's the "other angel" that added it since he's got a thing for Nora.

On paper there's a lot of things that should seem intense (cop killing) that seem soft as a pillow on the show.  Upload just needs a little bit of an edge to really take off IMO.  Like Stranger Things on Netflix.  There seem to be some actual stakes in what goes on, which gives the show a little muscle behind its punches.

You should watch it to scratch the itch. 

Has some faults for me- mostly the US family's running calamity of errors storyline- but overall very worth watching. Stunning locations around the world and some breakout performances- by the Mexican soldier especially.
:goodposting:  Couldn't have said it better. I'm more easily entertained than some of you hardcore watchers in here, but this one I thought was pretty well done. 

I'm now onto Counterpart on Prime. Sci-Fi meets spy world. Decent, not great, but intriguing enough that I've made it to season 2. 

The Night Clerk- Voyeuristic hotel clerk becomes the subject of a murder investigation. Helen Hunt and John Leguizamo add gravitas to this one. Kinda like Rain Man meets Rear Window. 8/10.

Jeffery Epstein doc- Just as sleazy as you think it will be and more. Forget the hand sanitizer, you will need a shower after this one. 8/10.

Last Days of American Crime- In the not-too-distant future, as a final response to terrorism and crime, the U.S. government plans to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts. Despite the title and premise, this is a dreadful movie by any standard. Mindless, dumb and 2.5 hours long, not quick either. 2/10.

Dangerous Lies- A caregiver is drawn into a web of lies and murder after a wealthy elderly man dies and leaves his estate to her. Somewhat silly but watchable. 6/10.

The Chase- After people in his town start turning up dead, a grumpy landlord is visited by a man who recounts an unsolved serial murder case from 30 years ago. Surprisingly decent crime Korean thriller. 7/10. 

Can You Hear Me- Three friends in a low-income neighborhood find humor and hope in their lives as they grapple with bad boyfriends and their dysfunctional families. Watched 3 episodes and bailed.

She- An undercover assignment becomes a timid Mumbai constable's road to empowerment, as she realizes her potential. 7 episode series...easy enough to binge, worth a watch. 7/10.

Hotel Beau Sejour- Teenage Kato is caught in afterlife limbo and investigates her own mysterious death, finding a web of secrets in her village. Slow burn murder mystery..a bit too slow for my liking. 6/10.

I'm re-watching Dark in preparation for the Season 3 drop later this month. Whoever suggested earlier that it was better to watch this in the original German with English subtitles instead of turning on English dubbing was absolutely right.

Watching this show frequently twists my brain in knots. In a good way.

Started watching Perpetual Grace on Epix (free for a little while longer).

2 eps in, and it's among the best thing I've seen in a while. Feels very similar to The Patriot in terms of tone...deadpan, dry humor with an absurdist plot and baritone lead doused with ennui. even has Lost's John Locke in it. Ben Kingsley's character is hilarious...they're all hilarious. And it looks pretty spectacular as well- very nicely filmed. Only 2 in as said, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes....highly recommend.

ETA...just googled. It's the same creator and writer as the patriot, which makes complete sense.
I started this last night about 10:00 and didn't get to bed until almost 2 a.m.  Could not stop watching.  I found it by reading about Patriot, which I loved. Unfortunately, it appears this show won't even make it to season 2.  Similar to Patriot, I have a hard time recommending it to anyone because its so quirky.

I'm re-watching Dark in preparation for the Season 3 drop later this month. Whoever suggested earlier that it was better to watch this in the original German with English subtitles instead of turning on English dubbing was absolutely right.

Nice. Didn’t realize it was coming out soon. I might be in the minority, but the dubbing didn’t bother me at all. I’m not a big subtitles guy and I got used to the voices and it worked fine for me. Maybe it was because I got all the time travel. I wasn’t really confused about that part, I thought they did a great job with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Season 1?  I liked it... kindof slow out of the gate, but there are some interesting plot lines and twists.  Season 2 I haven't started yet.
This is in reference to Homecoming. I liked season 1 but didn't think it was anything special. Definitely worth watching, but more something to catch eventually. 

With that said, I wasn't particularly excited about season 2 but after only a few episodes it really started to blow past my expectations. Now I have just the finale left and I think it's been amazing. Don't want to say any more but it's just a really cool season. 

it's strange. there's a lot that works- great acting in particular, and some decent characters. but then there's 6 episodes of... just take your meds. somebody wanna chime in- take your meds. or- this can't work...the cartel will kill you/me/us if you do x/y/z- but I won't bother saying that, so we can milk another few episodes or plot out of the silence. and yet... it's still worth watching for me. and while the Ben bipolar plot device was annoying to me... the actor killed it. and the writers did a great job writing the illness in the abstract... other than the obvious moments where it was thrown in to screw with plans.
This was pretty much my stance in the Ozark thread and I was basically on my own with it. Cheers!

roadkill1292 said:

Great show. Need more like this.

I didint mind the dubbing, what makes the subtitles better?

Great show. Need more like this.

I didint mind the dubbing, what makes the subtitles better?
Very valid question. I think the dubbers are generally less accomplished actors so their voiceovers makes the show sound slightly more amateurish to me. And since I have typical old guy hearing issues, I'm gonna have subtitles on pretty much all the time in any event (sports excepted).

Watching the Epstein doc now and it just makes me angry.  Furious, really.  

The fact that Alex Acosta has not only escaped public humiliation, scorn and the loss of his career at the very least is a travesty.  The fact that Trump appointed him to his cabinet is downright disgusting and should be a pain point for Biden over and over and over and over.  In fact, anytime Trump says anything in a debate, Biden should just respond with "you hired Alex Acosta to your cabinet" and then read off all the names of the little girls Epstein raped and Acosta betrayed.

Is this show okay for a 12 year old?
There’s I think 2 brief nude scenes (boobs) in two seasons. I think one is like the first 5 minutes. They don’t matter so if you find them and skip, you’d be fine. I don’t think there’s much else besides maybe one violent scene (don’t want to ruin) it where you don’t actually see it happen. My youngest is 13 and he’d probably be fine because his 15/soon to be 16 year old brother has watched Caddyshack with him. At his point with two older brothers (middle is very into girls), there’s no hope of me blocking everything. Early Game of Thrones nudity level, no, Dark, sure. It’s a few seconds and not really that bad.

At least four brief boobie shots. Two by dirty little Franziska(sp?) and naughty Hannah was getting jiggy with Ullrich in the opening minutes of the first episode. Lots of F bombs, too.

Highly recommend Soaked in Bleach about Courtney Love ordering Cobain's murder. Would love to read some opinions on that one.
Wow. Just watched this. Some really interesting details. The shotgun shell being ejected on the wrong side of the gun. The amount of heroin found in his body making it extremely unlikely he pulled the trigger. The letter found in Courtney's backpack with the practiced writing of Kurt's handwriting. Crazy. I know that many people speculated over the years she was involved but I gotta say this documentary really makes me believe someone did poor Kurt in. 🙁

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s I think 2 brief nude scenes (boobs) in two seasons. I think one is like the first 5 minutes. They don’t matter so if you find them and skip, you’d be fine. I don’t think there’s much else besides maybe one violent scene (don’t want to ruin) it where you don’t actually see it happen. My youngest is 13 and he’d probably be fine because his 15/soon to be 16 year old brother has watched Caddyshack with him. At his point with two older brothers (middle is very into girls), there’s no hope of me blocking everything. Early Game of Thrones nudity level, no, Dark, sure. It’s a few seconds and not really that bad.
said no one ever!

Late last night I realized how embarrassing my previous post was. Good thing I didn't mention my Excel worksheet.
No kidding. My post was a good memory of the opening and at least one more. Yours was bordering on having precise measurements and having to go to remote #2 since you wore out the go back 10 seconds button on the first remote.

Users who are viewing this thread