What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

The Vow is way too long. Should have been a two hour doc. Not nearly enough interesting material to be this long.
Yep. My wife and I kept saying the same. Episodes 2-6 could have been done in one. Our theory is that the filmmakers and stars have just a high opinion about themselves that they thought it was all super important and interesting when it wasn't. 

It was crazy how the woman was like “well I know you’re lying, you know you’re lying, now you’re going to tell us the truth” and 3 minutes later the dude was laying out the entire details. Whatever she’s being paid isn’t enough. 
Given what I do, that was a painful watch. Then to bring in his dad... very good job by the investigators. Very dumb, dumb decisions by the suspect. 

Interesting sidestory is that I had a huge deja vu moment when they showed the clips of the victim in Arizona for her retreat. I knew I had seen the photos before. One of the girls she met up with is a FB friend of mine and I hadn't made the connection but then recalled it all happening back in live time. And, for what it's worth, the people I know that knew the victim and the defendant said the defendant was actually a very nice guy and this truly seemed to come out of nowhere. But, damn, the way he killed the kids...

CGRdrJoe said:
Monster land on Hulu, no idea what it is about but it started this month and it stars Jonathan tucker so I’ll report back once I watch the first episode. Tucker is one of my favorite actors so I’m all in.
It's a different monster short story each week (so JT will only be in one episode).  Its like a twilight zone about monsters.  4 or so episodes in and some have decent lesson/moral to the story, but, others I didn't understand the point at all. 

ETA: I see there are different directors for each episodes too, which explains why it's hit and miss.

13yo floppinho goes to an incredible public school that is music based with emphasis on individual instrument study. He's also gotten really interested in songwriting from his music theory classes. Wife and I noticed a show called "Song Exploder" (I think derived from a YouTube or podcast series) and jumped in with lin manuel and team deconstructing writing the song Wait for It from Hamilton- my favorite from the show. Pretty amazing hearing it's origins, demo, even the voice recording miranda made while walking to a party when he first figured out the chorus... can't wait to get the kid to watch. Also has REM losing my religion, Alicia Keys and Ty Dolla $ign songs so far. Looking forward to seeing those too.

It's a different monster short story each week (so JT will only be in one episode).  Its like a twilight zone about monsters.  4 or so episodes in and some have decent lesson/moral to the story, but, others I didn't understand the point at all. 

ETA: I see there are different directors for each episodes too, which explains why it's hit and miss.
I didn’t really like the first 2, I didn’t get the one with the Ozark kid at all so I’m out.

13yo floppinho goes to an incredible public school that is music based with emphasis on individual instrument study. He's also gotten really interested in songwriting from his music theory classes. Wife and I noticed a show called "Song Exploder" (I think derived from a YouTube or podcast series) and jumped in with lin manuel and team deconstructing writing the song Wait for It from Hamilton- my favorite from the show. Pretty amazing hearing it's origins, demo, even the voice recording miranda made while walking to a party when he first figured out the chorus... can't wait to get the kid to watch. Also has REM losing my religion, Alicia Keys and Ty Dolla $ign songs so far. Looking forward to seeing those too.
So this is just "luck of the draw" in the NYC public school system?

So this is just "luck of the draw" in the NYC public school system?
Not a lottery. He had to audition to get in for middle school...only one or two spots available. We were lucky I guess in that they had a spot open in his instrument.

It's k-12- thousands of 4yos "audition" for kindergarten...not sure what criteria they use for admissions at that, but there are only 12-15 spots for K where they are assigned an instrument (knowing an instrument isn't required going in). By middle school when my son joined, these kids are insanely good...two free private lessons a week with top teachers and an expectation to practice 3-4 hours a day will do that I guess.

My son's a percussionist...so didn't and doesn't have to compete with all of these crazy violinists and pianists. The first recital I went to there, all 12 kids in his grade trot up one after another and blew me away...but the last one was this tiny little girl with what looked like a toy violin- she looked so tiny and helpless, my parental instincts jumped to protect her in case she failed. If you ever saw mad max fury road...imagine the heavy metal hood ornament...no imagine this tiny helpless looking kid with a toy violin shooting flames out of it and kicking ###.

We watched the first episode of Derry Girls and liked it a lot. Does it hold up?

It was hard to follow even with subtitles (mandatory, imo) They all speak really fast and even the sub-titles fly by.
Yes - if you can keep up with the fast talking / accents, it's pretty entertaining. If anything, I'd say it got better as the season went along.

Anybody watching Bly House on Netflix? First two episodes are a little slow but it’s a quality Halloween-time show. 

Eta: spiritual successor to Hill House. Same guy made it. 

Yep, its decent, 2 episodes in.  It's really the only current thing I got going.  
Ok, episode 3 it went from just creepy manor with 2 creepy kids to that plus a phsyco killer. I'm all in now and those two kids are really good child actors. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the Alicia Keys episode.  Really makes you connected to a song's meaning, and the British dude's voice is hypnotic and moving.

El Floppo said:
They're perfectly splendid.

We're one in...I shouldn't have read your post.
Ep 3 was just back story on a couple of new characters and I really didn't know how else to describe the one person in particular.  Nothing happening in the current day timeline other than some possible sightings so not much to spoil yet.  Killer may have been premature, I don't think we know that yet.   Psycho for sure tho.

The Social Dilemma is pretty good stuff and I think it would do everyone some good to watch this one.  

I've been concerned for years over a possible class war.  It's seemed patently obvious that there is a group of haves and a group of have nots in this country.  And each year the divide grows.  Not, I'm not concerned really about the 1%er's as I don't really compare my life's worth to some random multimillionaire, and I'm very much content with my life.  But, I am pretty sure I'm in the vast minority here.  There are those who have that are always playing keeping up with the Jones's.  And then there are a lot more of those who have not.  And now AI is really picking into your brains and showing you things that it wants you to see.  Even so much as googling concerns from different parts of the country yielding different results.  And two people can be fed news or streams specifically to what they think you want to see, rather than what you are looking for.  We're heading towards a major dystopic society, and frankly I'm not nearly as optimistic as some of the panel members they had on board who think we can fix it.  Some stuff really made me think in this one such as "truth" and without an absolute "truth" we're kind of screwed.  And how AI has already taken over the human weakness, especially in the impressionable youth.  I think most people realize quite a bit of the stuff they are being spoon fed on social media, but I don't think they understand how specific it is to just them, and just the next person.  You can see it really tearing the country apart and the massive split between political ideologies.  Any way, I'd suggest you check it out.

Couple series I've binged the eff out of based on suggestions here

Kingdom - loved it.  Didn't at all think it was up my alley, but 5 stars.

Last Kingdom - liked it.  Again, something I didn't think I'd like, but the hooks got in.  Some of the politics got a bit borish, but would recommend 4 stars

Cobra Kai- liked it a lot.  William Zabka should win all the emmy's, he was just terrific.  There is a bit of teen drama stuff, but you have to know that going in.  4.5 stars.

Not that I could find unless you do  the torrent thing maybe?

Epix will serve as the new Stateside home for the UK fantasy drama Britannia, rerunning Season 1 on Sunday, Aug. 2, before premiering Season 2 on Sunday, Oct. 4. Epix — which grabbed the Britannia baton from Amazon — will also be the exclusive U.S. home for Season 3, now in production.
Just finished S1 on Amazon. Enjoyed it and thought it was fun. Good to see the governor up to his old tricks

There's a new movie on Amazon called Time.

Supposedly very good. About a man incarcerated, initially sentenced to 60 years for robbery.

Yep.

Trailer really doesn't give much. I read a bit about it to have an idea. 

From Rolling Stone:

‘Time’: A Woman’s Life, A Man’s Imprisonment, A Portrait of Love Everlasting

Garrett Bradley’s decades-spanning documentary on a family dealing with the impact of incarceration — told mostly through video diaries — is one of the most essential films of the year

We started watching Brave New World on ...peacock? If you're looking to scratch a sci-fi itch, this works. Based on Huxleys book, but not following the same story.
This is getting some bad reviews, but I'm all-in after 3 episodes.  Its fun sci-fi, loosely based on a classic story with well-known themes.

I just finished Kingdom based on recommendations in this thread - fantastic show.  I was up late last week watching the final two episodes and had a few tears in my eyes.

We started watching Brave New World on ...peacock? If you're looking to scratch a sci-fi itch, this works. Based on Huxleys book, but not following the same story.
This is getting some bad reviews, but I'm all-in after 3 episodes.  Its fun sci-fi, loosely based on a classic story with well-known themes.
We're 5 or 6 in and running out of steam. Doesn't seem to be taking any of those themes you mentioned anywhere new or interesting

The Social Dilemma is pretty good stuff and I think it would do everyone some good to watch this one.  

I've been concerned for years over a possible class war.  It's seemed patently obvious that there is a group of haves and a group of have nots in this country.  And each year the divide grows.  Not, I'm not concerned really about the 1%er's as I don't really compare my life's worth to some random multimillionaire, and I'm very much content with my life.  But, I am pretty sure I'm in the vast minority here.  There are those who have that are always playing keeping up with the Jones's.  And then there are a lot more of those who have not.  And now AI is really picking into your brains and showing you things that it wants you to see.  Even so much as googling concerns from different parts of the country yielding different results.  And two people can be fed news or streams specifically to what they think you want to see, rather than what you are looking for.  We're heading towards a major dystopic society, and frankly I'm not nearly as optimistic as some of the panel members they had on board who think we can fix it.  Some stuff really made me think in this one such as "truth" and without an absolute "truth" we're kind of screwed.  And how AI has already taken over the human weakness, especially in the impressionable youth.  I think most people realize quite a bit of the stuff they are being spoon fed on social media, but I don't think they understand how specific it is to just them, and just the next person.  You can see it really tearing the country apart and the massive split between political ideologies.  Any way, I'd suggest you check it out.

Couple series I've binged the eff out of based on suggestions here

Kingdom - loved it.  Didn't at all think it was up my alley, but 5 stars.

Last Kingdom - liked it.  Again, something I didn't think I'd like, but the hooks got in.  Some of the politics got a bit borish, but would recommend 4 stars

Cobra Kai- liked it a lot.  William Zabka should win all the emmy's, he was just terrific.  There is a bit of teen drama stuff, but you have to know that going in.  4.5 stars.
Social Dilemma is very good and very disturbing. Quiet a few things most people probably already assume or suspect that are correct and quiet a few most people have no idea about. There's going to have to be massive reform here IMO. How that will work or look like I have no idea but like you said there will likely end up being some very nasty consequences as this continues unchecked.

The Borat movie was really really really really something. Not sure what to make of it. Can’t say it was good but it was a ride. 

I was just thinking about firing this up.  
I think it’s worth watching for sure. Lot to chew on. There’s a scene with a Holocaust survivor where he is trying to make fun of Holocaust deniers that.....I dunno. Didn’t land for me. Really uncomfortable. 

I'm assuming it's less about comedy and more uncomfortable for the viewer. I appreciate his craft but in doubting there are a lot of laughs. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Probably late to the party with this but just started Ripper Street last night. 2 episodes in and it's really well done- hoping it holds up for 5 seasons.

Anyone else watch this?

I think it’s worth watching for sure. Lot to chew on. There’s a scene with a Holocaust survivor where he is trying to make fun of Holocaust deniers that.....I dunno. Didn’t land for me. Really uncomfortable. 
Thought I read her family is suing on her behalf...she passed away recently.

Did you like the first one? How different is this to that?

Thought I read her family is suing on her behalf...she passed away recently.

Did you like the first one? How different is this to that?
Yes, they are. Apparently he let her in on the bit after they filmed. If she ok’d it I don’t know what their standing would be. 

Honestly I saw the first one 14 years ago, don’t remember anything about it but my sense of humor has probably changed quite a bit since then. 

Yes, they are. Apparently he let her in on the bit after they filmed. If she ok’d it I don’t know what their standing would be. 

Honestly I saw the first one 14 years ago, don’t remember anything about it but my sense of humor has probably changed quite a bit since then. 
Yeah, saw that the production says they have footage of her being told it was fake/a joke and being ok with it. Probably just sad timing of her death coinciding with the opening of the film where's she's used as a prop for a joke.

I loved the first one, and Ali G. Bruno didn't really work for me so I'm on the fence about this one 

Yeah, saw that the production says they have footage of her being told it was fake/a joke and being ok with it. Probably just sad timing of her death coinciding with the opening of the film where's she's used as a prop for a joke.

I loved the first one, and Ali G. Bruno didn't really work for me so I'm on the fence about this one 
I wouldn’t go as far as to say this is important to watch, but even knowing what we know about people in this country, it’s really wild to see how casually racist/sexist people are. There is another scene with a plastic surgeon that is just unbelievable. 

how long did it take to lose the 10lbs of beer and food you gained during that week?
Lol I was there for work so by like Wednesday I had to stop. I wanted to die each morning. 

There was a super old German restaurant near where we worked that I ate at each day. Loved that place. Saw it a few weeks ago on one of those food shows where they go around the country and thought that was so cool. Can’t remember the name of it now, probably have a picture of it somewhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread