What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (14 Viewers)

The Marriage Story is one of the more sad things I’ve seen in a long long time. Phenomenal acting. Really did not know Kylo Ren had that much emotion in him. 
kind of been delaying that one for that reason.  I need to be in a good mood going in I think.

rickroll said:
kind of been delaying that one for that reason.  I need to be in a good mood going in I think.
My wife is so mad at me for making her watch this. :lmao:   She’s not big on sad movies. My joke about taking notes didn’t go over well. 

My wife is so mad at me for making her watch this. :lmao:   She’s not big on sad movies. My joke about taking notes didn’t go over well. 
JFC, are you trying to get a Lorena Bobbit? By the way, she did manicures/pedicures where I used to live outside of DC. My wife went in there a few times. 

rickroll said:
I’m with you. I’ve kind of had my fill of the sad ####. I have no interest in watching that. Outside of my stocks, this hasn’t been a fun year and the end of 2017/beginning of 2018 was probably my most stressful time of my life between close family passing, having the flu (real one that knocks you out) and being acquired and worrying about job. I was watching some Black Mirror back then and had to stop because it was just depressing even though it was so good. Life got solid after that stressful time but then all of a sudden you got 2020. Just not a mentally healthy year for the world. That’s why shows like Queen’s Gambit and Ted Lasso are great treats.

I can't speak for the rest of the season yet, but the first episode of "We are the Champions" on Netflix is a fun, nutty half hour.
I watched a couple of those, pretty interesting/mindless entertainment. The chili pepper one was probably my favorite. It was like those people, except for El Diablo, were literally torturing themselves for $1000. That just didn't look fun although the guy who set it up almost seemed upset that there were people who finished the whole thing.

One more vote for The Queen's Gambit. Every character that had significant screentime was so very compelling.

Anya Taylor-Joy and Bill Camp (Mr. Scheibel) deserve every nomination they get for this one. Scheibel's character was unreal good - the reveal in Ep 7 (even if easy to see coming) hits like a ton of bricks.
I feel like I missed something here.  

Finished it up tonight.  Still stick with my initial reaction- for me it was good, not great.  Can't quite put my finger on why right now though.  

I feel like I missed something here.  

Finished it up tonight.  Still stick with my initial reaction- for me it was good, not great.  Can't quite put my finger on why right now though.  
I am not sure I would call it a reveal, just that she went back to the orphanage when he passed and found that he was proud of her and followed all of her progress. I think it made her realize how much he cared for her and she felt bad about not ever coming back to visit or even pay him back. I think that was one of the big things at the end. Her friend from the orphanage, the janitor, her foster mom and all the chess guys who helped her were there for her in her journey. It seemed like her last match where she saw the moves without the drugs was also part of that awakening. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Had it's "dark" moments but the characters were well done and I enjoyed it not being her falling into the depths and killing herself like that one chess pro she and her friend talked about.

No. Haven’t lived in DC (Ashburn/Reston) in over a decade. I’m pretty sure she was in a place in Ashburn, Leesburg or Sterling back then. No idea what she’s got her hands on these days.
No, she was in Manassas. Lived, worked, and tossed some junk on the side of the road there.

Perhaps in the years prior to her marriage. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure I would call it a reveal, just that she went back to the orphanage when he passed and found that he was proud of her and followed all of her progress. I think it made her realize how much he cared for her and she felt bad about not ever coming back to visit or even pay him back. I think that was one of the big things at the end. Her friend from the orphanage, the janitor, her foster mom and all the chess guys who helped her were there for her in her journey. It seemed like her last match where she saw the moves without the drugs was also part of that awakening. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Had it's "dark" moments but the characters were well done and I enjoyed it not being her falling into the depths and killing herself like that one chess pro she and her friend talked about.
Final scene when she walks through the park and sits down to play with a random guy was because he reminded her of the Janitor. It also signified how roles essentially changed....she could now inspire someone at the game, just like the janitor did for her (she looked at him like a chess god at one point, just like all the park guys now look at her).   This was her way of remembering and paying respects to the Janitors role in her life. 

wife and I binged "Bodyguard" on Netflix over the last couple days. it's a British whodunit with the guy who played Robb Stark in Game of Thrones as a protection officer (AKA secret service). it was pretty good, and I was impressed with his performance. lots of tense moments.

Final scene when she walks through the park and sits down to play with a random guy was because he reminded her of the Janitor. It also signified how roles essentially changed....she could now inspire someone at the game, just like the janitor did for her (she looked at him like a chess god at one point, just like all the park guys now look at her).   This was her way of remembering and paying respects to the Janitors role in her life. 
After thinking about the show more today, I think a main reason it didn't connect with me is that it was an TV-MA show, dealt with mature themes, but everything was wrapped up in a nice PG-13 way.  There were some great moments, but I think that is why it missed a tad for me.  

Again, nitpicks - it was a good show, these were just thoughts I had today as to why I didn't love it as much as many in here (I do like shows and movies with a dark side).  

Just started To The Lake.  It's essentially a Russian version of The Walking Dead.  2 episodes in and it's decent.  I don't know if it's going to go completely off the rails, but we shall see.  At least with all the snow and ice, I don't have to wonder how people's lawns are getting cut.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 100%, so I think it'll remain decent. 

Just started To The Lake.  It's essentially a Russian version of The Walking Dead.  2 episodes in and it's decent.  I don't know if it's going to go completely off the rails, but we shall see.  At least with all the snow and ice, I don't have to wonder how people's lawns are getting cut.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 100%, so I think it'll remain decent. 
I watched it and made a comment or two in here somewhere.

It's ok...worth the watch if TWD/end of world is your kind of thing. 

After thinking about the show more today, I think a main reason it didn't connect with me is that it was an TV-MA show, dealt with mature themes, but everything was wrapped up in a nice PG-13 way.  There were some great moments, but I think that is why it missed a tad for me.  

Again, nitpicks - it was a good show, these were just thoughts I had today as to why I didn't love it as much as many in here (I do like shows and movies with a dark side).  
I know exactly what you mean. For all the debauchery, it felt pretty weirdly sanitized. I didn't mind that, tbh...I didn't feel like I needed to see explicit sex or drugs for this to work, even if I get your point.

Another criticism made by a co-worker...she didn't like the lead character. Dunno what to say about that one...her trying to find redemption after a long rough road is what the whole thing is about.

I know exactly what you mean. For all the debauchery, it felt pretty weirdly sanitized. I didn't mind that, tbh...I didn't feel like I needed to see explicit sex or drugs for this to work, even if I get your point.

Another criticism made by a co-worker...she didn't like the lead character. Dunno what to say about that one...her trying to find redemption after a long rough road is what the whole thing is about.
I had to look up what her waking up in a tub full of water meant and if there was any explanation there. All I could find was that she fell asleep in the tub after a night of drinking??  Seems strange. And did she have the secks with that British model that night?  Left to the imagination I guess. 

I think we are on the same page, I didn't need to see exactly that either.  Maybe a better way to put it is that despite being a show about alcoholism, addiction, suicide, etc..  there wasn't many real hard hitting scenes of emotion for me.  That stuff seemed to be taken care of in a quick, pg-13 manner, and I think it made some of the emotion in the final couple episodes land a little less for me.  

Also, for me I wish the chess part and the actual game of it was a little more prevalent.  Seems like most of the matches were just panning shots of the audience.  

I think we are on the same page, I didn't need to see exactly that either.  Maybe a better way to put it is that despite being a show about alcoholism, addiction, suicide, etc..  there wasn't many real hard hitting scenes of emotion for me.  That stuff seemed to be taken care of in a quick, pg-13 manner, and I think it made some of the emotion in the final couple episodes land a little less for me.  

Also, for me I wish the chess part and the actual game of it was a little more prevalent.  Seems like most of the matches were just panning shots of the audience.  
Well said...totally get your point, and agree with it.

Watch this.  Great in depth discussion of the final match.

They showed how white played first in chess and (in theory) if you played perfect, a player would not lose with that small advantage.  Then in that final scene in the park she appeared in all white for the first time, after appearing in outfits the majority of the series that were mixed (black & white, checker board style, etc) and she even started the very first episode in the homemade dress (that was so bad, it was thrown away) 

Even her clothing showed her rise from nothing to the pinnacle of chess.  It's one small example of the series paying attention to small details and telling the story in multiple ways.  Very well done overall.

She's not at all likable.  It didn't detract for me, but I can understand some people might need someone who's more of a pleasant or amiable heroine in order to root for her.

She's not at all likable.  It didn't detract for me, but I can understand how for some people they need someone who's more of a pleasant or amiable heroine in order to root for her.
Absolutely.

I guess I didn't say that well. Couldn't disagree at all with the original point, but could only add that the hero-journey through chess towards redemption is the crux of the story. If it had just been about the chess without that ultimate personal striving/awareness, it would have still been interesting but less accessible.

As an aside, KP really did nail it though...or at least made me more aware of why I liked but didn't love this.

Re-watching the Wire. Had no idea that Wallace was played by young Michael B. Jordan. That blew my mind. 
i think we now know the answer to "WHERE THE #### IS WALLACE, MAN??!"

gracing the cover of People magazines "Sexiext Man Alive" issue, that's where.

There Will Be Blood.

Just watched this again.  Terrible movie but I hope DDL won every award possible.

Watching Haunting of Hill House again.  I never rewatch series except for Breaking Bad once, but I felt like doing this one again.  4 episodes in.  Still excellent.

Search function was zero use (thought there was a thread once)but is anyone still watching His Dark Materials on HBO? Season 2 is two weeks in.

i’m struggling with the acting, particularly the facial expressions of the female leads, and now the witches. It’s like the director is telling them to stare, furrow their brows and scowl the entire time. 

Dont get me wrong i enjoyed it very much, but DDLs acting was the whole movie.  Barely a story, basically no other characters matter except Dano who I suppose also acted well.  

Oh my god at the end of the movie when he was chasing Dano around.  That walk up the alley.  Just wow.
Agree.  Don't get the hype for this movie at all. 

Search function was zero use (thought there was a thread once)but is anyone still watching His Dark Materials on HBO? Season 2 is two weeks in.

i’m struggling with the acting, particularly the facial expressions of the female leads, and now the witches. It’s like the director is telling them to stare, furrow their brows and scowl the entire time. 

We had a free month or week, but didn't quite get to finish the first season before it expired. Enjoyed it well enough, but didn't love. Not a fan of quacker lips from The Affair.

Hillbilly Ellegy has been a lightening rod for critics. Watched It today on Netflix. Glenn Close and Amy Adams both very good in it. Interested to hear what FBGs think about the movie itself. Man it’s got some haters....dumpster fire, trash. Those were some of the kind words from the LA Times. But of course this has been politicized. 

Just about to start Norsemen on Netflix, anyone seen it yet? .  Buddy from college recommended it yesterday, said it's like a combo of Monty Python meets GoT meets The Office. 

Plus he knows I'm a sucker for vikings. 

Users who are viewing this thread