What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

Watched the Kominski Method on a flight today. The first episode was pretty good. Does it hold up?

Watched 2 episodes if Ted Lasso too. Pretty good. A little too feel good for my liking but I'll check out some more.

Watched the Kominski Method on a flight today. The first episode was pretty good. Does it hold up?

Watched 2 episodes if Ted Lasso too. Pretty good. A little too feel good for my liking but I'll check out some more.
I liked it. Hope they’re making more. 

jamny said:

I didn't finish Kominski, bit I enjoyed it.

Felt the same about Lasso as you the first couple episodes...like it needed to be darker or more biting. But then I let the feel good win out...and glad I did. Really glad.

El Camino Christmas was a mind melting dumpster fire. No clue if it's supposed to be a comedy or drama. Do a few decorations in a desert count as a Christmas movie? There's a bunch of real actors in this (Dax Shepard, Jessica Alba, Tim Allen, Ms Katy from Letterkenny, and more), so why is it such a train wreck? What a weird 90 minutes. 

Only watch if you embrace trash. 

Hillbilly Ellegy has been a lightening rod for critics. Watched It today on Netflix. Glenn Close and Amy Adams both very good in it. Interested to hear what FBGs think about the movie itself. Man it’s got some haters....dumpster fire, trash. Those were some of the kind words from the LA Times. But of course this has been politicized. 
I really enjoyed it but these real life dramas are in my wheelhouse for movies.

Hillbilly Ellegy has been a lightening rod for critics. Watched It today on Netflix. Glenn Close and Amy Adams both very good in it. Interested to hear what FBGs think about the movie itself. Man it’s got some haters....dumpster fire, trash. Those were some of the kind words from the LA Times. But of course this has been politicized. 
I wouldn't go this far, but I didn't like it much.  Neutered any political leanings or points from the book and was just melodrama about the family.   It also very much came off as a "let's ugly up Close and Adams and hope for an Oscar" type of project.      :shrug:   I got through it, but it's not something I would recommend.  

Started The West Wing last week. Now I get why it's so well thought of.

Already halfway through season 3.

I have heard it get's 'meh' somewhere in this (Sorkin left/stopped writing for it?)...anyone have a recommendation on when I can stop watching it? Or all 7 seasons worth it?
First four seasons were the Sorkin years.  Top notch most of that run.

IMO, seasons 5-7 were still better than most network dramas, but not as consistently good as the Sorkin years.   A presidential campaign and election were the underlying theme for season 7 so if you are a political junkie you might enjoy that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
First four seasons were the Sorkin years.  Top notch most of that run.

IMO, seasons 5-7 were still better than most network dramas, but not as consistently good as the Sorkin years.   A presidential campaign and election were the underlying theme for season 7 so if you are a political junkie you might enjoy that one.
agree.  first four are as good as it gets.  The rest are decent, but Sorkin made it go.  I thought they finished pretty good with 7-8.

I wouldn't go this far, but I didn't like it much.  Neutered any political leanings or points from the book and was just melodrama about the family.   It also very much came off as a "let's ugly up Close and Adams and hope for an Oscar" type of project.      :shrug:   I got through it, but it's not something I would recommend.  
I wouldn’t say they uglied up Close. From the home movies shown at the end they made her look exactly like his real grandma. 
I enjoyed the movie. 

Binged the entire Bly Manor season last night with my daughter who is home from college. 

Good, not great but definitely above average. 

Definitely like how they wrapped all unanswered questions. The kid actors are definitely talented. 

Finished queens gambit last night. So very good. Based on a 1983 novel. Why don’t they do more of that instead of remaking and rehashing the same old stuff. 
Someone asked upthread if Beth was supposed to have slept with the chick French model. I didn’t take it that way. Women will share a bed without it being sexual. It just told me that they partied late into the night and that was that. I don’t think there was anymore to it. However now I want to read the book to learn more about Townes. So maybe I learn I’m wrong about the model. 

I wouldn’t say they uglied up Close. From the home movies shown at the end they made her look exactly like his real grandma. 
I enjoyed the movie. 
My point was more about the typical joke/trope that actors do the heavy makeup thing/physically morph/ugly themselves up for an Oscar push - Adams here, and stuff like Monster, etc.  

Finished queens gambit last night. So very good. Based on a 1983 novel. Why don’t they do more of that instead of remaking and rehashing the same old stuff. 
Someone asked upthread if Beth was supposed to have slept with the chick French model. I didn’t take it that way. Women will share a bed without it being sexual. It just told me that they partied late into the night and that was that. I don’t think there was anymore to it. However now I want to read the book to learn more about Townes. So maybe I learn I’m wrong about the model. 
They do this all the time.  I am always surprised how many things I think are original ideas for movies are just adaptations of a book or short story.  

They do this all the time.  I am always surprised how many things I think are original ideas for movies are just adaptations of a book or short story.  
That’s good. I’m talking about remaking movies/shows and constantly rehashing the same old themes. I like that this was from a novel not a newer version of another movie. 

If you're into historical fiction Barbarians is solid. Fictionalized telling of the events leading up to and including the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. If you like Vikings, The Last Kingdom, etc I think you'll find it worth the time. Only 6 episodes. Dialogue is all German and Latin so if you're a no subtitle guy don't bother. 

If you're into historical fiction Barbarians is solid. Fictionalized telling of the events leading up to and including the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. If you like Vikings, The Last Kingdom, etc I think you'll find it worth the time. Only 6 episodes. Dialogue is all German and Latin so if you're a no subtitle guy don't bother. 
I liked Barbarians. Just did a quick check to confirm the Barbarians I watched the dialogue is in English. You could tell the dialogue was a little off but nothing distracting.

Anne With An “E” on Netflix was really good. Watched with our 10 year old daughter, but the whole family got into it. I think we did an episode a night for about a month. 

Watched the first episode of How to with John Wilson on HBO. Sepinwall had a good review of it. A bit bizarre and awkward — documentary style that mostly plays off some social awkwardness by Wilson, and mixing script with B-roll footage type stuff. But it was laugh out loud funny at times.
Anybody else watch How to with John Wilson? One of my favorites of the year. At turns bizarre and profound. 

Just finished Klaus on Netflix. Great family Christmas movie. You can see everything coming a mile away, but it’s a fun inventive take on the origins of Santa and the animation style is enjoyable as well IMO.

Also watched an episode of Aunty Donna’s Big Ol House O Fun. Single most surreal and weird show I’ve ever watched and I used to watch quite a bit of Robot Chicken.

I enjoyed the movie. 
I liked the movie too. I saw an interview with Close, and she said it took about an hour every day in the makeup chair to look like Mamaw.  They put on a prosthetic nose, made her ears bigger, put on a wig, and used makeup to age her skin. Adams had on a wig, but for the most part she looked like herself. I thought the casting of the boy (J.D.) was good for both his youth and college age years.   As for KP saying the movie neutered any political leanings or points from the book, Ron Howard said the movie wasn't made with politics in mind.

:scared:  ok, I watched the Saved by the Bell reboot...... As I told my sister, not sure I can recommend it to anyone.  Did make me laugh at times, hit some nostalgia, made some good references to the originals (and one to Franklin and Bash :lmao: ).  Most of the acting was bad and at times tried to be too much like the original.  

Ok, back to finishing Schitt's Creek.....

I still love Tiffany Thiesen

:scared:  ok, I watched the Saved by the Bell reboot...... As I told my sister, not sure I can recommend it to anyone.  Did make me laugh at times, hit some nostalgia, made some good references to the originals (and one to Franklin and Bash :lmao: ).  Most of the acting was bad and at times tried to be too much like the original.  

Ok, back to finishing Schitt's Creek.....

I still love Tiffany Thiesen
Yeah, I wasn’t exactly expecting Shakespeare but a good chunk of the pilot was cringeworthy.  In addition to the poor acting and Lucas-worthy dialogue virtually every character was one-dimensional and there seemed to be endless cliches.

Episode 3 of the new season of the crown :tebow:   - the lead up to the Di/Charles marriage. As good as tv gets imo. 
The Australia trip episode is awesome.

I wasn't all that into the Charles and Diana storyline so I'm glad it hasn't been the complete focus. I do have a little issue with the way Gillian Anderson is playing Thatcher. I had to go back and confirm but  never remembered her sounding so frail and if you watch video of her, she didn't.

The season has gotten better as it moves along. 

I agree.  I mean, I guess it was fine.  It just had this air from the beginning of "An important movie" that I just didn't get at all.

I'm not sure why - since a lot of movies do that thing at the end with photos of the real-life people they were based on - but the credits made me feel like I just watched a 2 hour drama version of The Goldbergs.  Maybe it was all the yelling during the movie? 

I liked the movie too. I saw an interview with Close, and she said it took about an hour every day in the makeup chair to look like Mamaw.  They put on a prosthetic nose, made her ears bigger, put on a wig, and used makeup to age her skin. Adams had on a wig, but for the most part she looked like herself. I thought the casting of the boy (J.D.) was good for both his youth and college age years.   As for KP saying the movie neutered any political leanings or points from the book, Ron Howard said the movie wasn't made with politics in mind.
I admit to being cynical and jaded.  To me that makes it worse, and basically just them using that book title (which was a big selling and well known book), to package up an Oscar bait family drama.  Yes, that family stuff was in the book, but by doing so they glossed over a big point of the book and why is was a best seller to begin with.  

I admit to being cynical and jaded.  To me that makes it worse, and basically just them using that book title (which was a big selling and well known book), to package up an Oscar bait family drama.  Yes, that family stuff was in the book, but by doing so they glossed over a big point of the book and why is was a best seller to begin with.  
The author of the book, J.D. Vance, is also the executive producer of the movie. He and Ron Howard were interviewed today on CBS this Morning. He said he was happy with the movie. 

The Australia trip episode is awesome.

I wasn't all that into the Charles and Diana storyline so I'm glad it hasn't been the complete focus. I do have a little issue with the way Gillian Anderson is playing Thatcher. I had to go back and confirm but  never remembered her sounding so frail and if you watch video of her, she didn't.

The season has gotten better as it moves along. 
I’m only up to 3 but I heard that one was great. 

I don’t care at all about them in real life but the way the show portrayed it, with us all knowing it was a farce and ultimately tragic was very powerful imo. Great job. 

I had read that Anderson had nailed the Thatcher thing, in that she had a weird voice, but not sure about the frail part. 

I’m only up to 3 but I heard that one was great. 

I don’t care at all about them in real life but the way the show portrayed it, with us all knowing it was a farce and ultimately tragic was very powerful imo. Great job. 

I had read that Anderson had nailed the Thatcher thing, in that she had a weird voice, but not sure about the frail part. 
Thatcher was a strong woman. There's a reason she was called The Iron Lady. It's a strange take on her in the show, imo.

I actually didn't know that the Charles and Diana relationship was strained from the start. I thought it took time for it to fall apart

Thatcher was a strong woman. There's a reason she was called The Iron Lady. It's a strange take on her in the show, imo.

I actually didn't know that the Charles and Diana relationship was strained from the start. I thought it took time for it to fall apart
Same. My wife is incredulous that I was so ignorant about the whole thing. Celebrity gossip was never my thing.

My family was randomly in England in the Cotswalds for the wedding when I was 13. It was a full day and night shut down and party for the town...like 4th of July and Superbowl mashed together. I think the whole town watches it together on a big screen, cheering and ooh-ahing the whole time. The english were fired up about it...so that part always resonated with me.

While this season of the Crown was good, 

1) It's my least favorite of all the seasons. Not because it wasn't done well, but the overall subject matter wasn't as interesting and I don't enjoy seeing those kinds of personal struggles, especially on public display, even if true.

2) The season was still a good watch but I particularly didn't like the last episode. They really painted Charles in an ugly light (deserved or not) and when it ended, I just felt "bleh". It made me think back on previous seasons and how I enjoyed watching them more.

Just started Yellowstone.

After 3 episodes my conclusions are these.

1) Great Cast and Decent Acting

2) Strong/original enough plot/storyline

3) Inconsistent and sometimes terrible writing/dialogue.

Watching season 2 of Knightfall (was released almost a year ago I think). I'm not completely certain, but I can't shake the feeling that Mark Hamill isn't very good acting wise (barring voice work in cartoons and video games).

For the rest, pretty standard straightforward medieval good guy bad guy stuff. Not high concept, no nuance, 1 dimensional characters,  i.e. nothing like Game Of Thrones. Entertaining if you like that kind of thing (which I do when the mood strikes me), probably not a must watch for everyone.

Read somewhere that this season alone is undoing 20 years of goodwill he had worked so hard for since Di’s death. 
Just saw an article reiterating that this isn't a documentary...it's a dramatic reimagining. But the damage is clearly being done 

The Liberator, 4 episode mini series about WWII. It's animated, but done with "Trioscope Enhanced Hybrid Animation, a technique that blends live-action actors with CGI" and is "based on the book The Liberator: One World War II Soldier’s 500-Day Odyssey by Alex Kershaw". It's not great but pretty good imo if you're into World War Two. I generally don't like watching cartoons but was ok with this show, pretty life like for the most part.

Undercover - I'm halfway through season one of two. It's subtitled which I will only watch it if I'm really digging the show, have probably watched give or six shows/ movies total that were subtitled. So far really liking it. By the name you can tell what it's about. Set in Germany and a few other parts of Europe. There's a little English sprinkled in so that's nice.

I've been enjoying Kim's Convenience on Netflix

While running a convenience store in Toronto, members of a Korean-Canadian family deal with customers, each other and the evolving world around them.
We finished it a few weeks ago. Good show. Not sure if I would have stuck with it if not for the parents, mostly the father, but it's still worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread