Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread)

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever invented the skip intro button, we salute you

Wife and I just added HBO Max. Started watching this little known show, think it's called Game of Thrones or something. Guess it's based on a book. Almost through the first season, which has been grea

There was a marathon on one of the side channels for new year's of NewsRadio. Vastly under-appreciated comedy. If you've never seen it, seek it out. It deserves to be spoken of among the others you've

3 hours ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

You live in Manassas? Poor bastard.

No. Haven’t lived in DC (Ashburn/Reston) in over a decade. I’m pretty sure she was in a place in Ashburn, Leesburg or Sterling back then. No idea what she’s got her hands on these days.

Edited by stbugs
1 hour ago, stbugs said:

No. Haven’t lived in DC (Ashburn/Reston) in over a decade. I’m pretty sure she was in a place in Ashburn, Leesburg or Sterling back then. No idea what she’s got her hands on these days.

No, she was in Manassas. Lived, worked, and tossed some junk on the side of the road there.

Perhaps in the years prior to her marriage. 

Edited by Cold Dead Hands
13 hours ago, stbugs said:

I am not sure I would call it a reveal, just that she went back to the orphanage when he passed and found that he was proud of her and followed all of her progress. I think it made her realize how much he cared for her and she felt bad about not ever coming back to visit or even pay him back. I think that was one of the big things at the end. Her friend from the orphanage, the janitor, her foster mom and all the chess guys who helped her were there for her in her journey. It seemed like her last match where she saw the moves without the drugs was also part of that awakening. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Had it's "dark" moments but the characters were well done and I enjoyed it not being her falling into the depths and killing herself like that one chess pro she and her friend talked about.

Final scene when she walks through the park and sits down to play with a random guy was because he reminded her of the Janitor. It also signified how roles essentially changed....she could now inspire someone at the game, just like the janitor did for her (she looked at him like a chess god at one point, just like all the park guys now look at her).   This was her way of remembering and paying respects to the Janitors role in her life. 

• Thanks 1

wife and I binged "Bodyguard" on Netflix over the last couple days. it's a British whodunit with the guy who played Robb Stark in Game of Thrones as a protection officer (AKA secret service). it was pretty good, and I was impressed with his performance. lots of tense moments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, stbugs said:

I am not sure I would call it a reveal, just that she went back to the orphanage when he passed and found that he was proud of her and followed all of her progress. I think it made her realize how much he cared for her and she felt bad about not ever coming back to visit or even pay him back. I think that was one of the big things at the end. Her friend from the orphanage, the janitor, her foster mom and all the chess guys who helped her were there for her in her journey. It seemed like her last match where she saw the moves without the drugs was also part of that awakening. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Had it's "dark" moments but the characters were well done and I enjoyed it not being her falling into the depths and killing herself like that one chess pro she and her friend talked about.

2 hours ago, offdee said:

Final scene when she walks through the park and sits down to play with a random guy was because he reminded her of the Janitor. It also signified how roles essentially changed....she could now inspire someone at the game, just like the janitor did for her (she looked at him like a chess god at one point, just like all the park guys now look at her).   This was her way of remembering and paying respects to the Janitors role in her life. 

After thinking about the show more today, I think a main reason it didn't connect with me is that it was an TV-MA show, dealt with mature themes, but everything was wrapped up in a nice PG-13 way.  There were some great moments, but I think that is why it missed a tad for me.  

Again, nitpicks - it was a good show, these were just thoughts I had today as to why I didn't love it as much as many in here (I do like shows and movies with a dark side).  

Edited by KarmaPolice

Just started To The Lake.  It's essentially a Russian version of The Walking Dead.  2 episodes in and it's decent.  I don't know if it's going to go completely off the rails, but we shall see.  At least with all the snow and ice, I don't have to wonder how people's lawns are getting cut.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 100%, so I think it'll remain decent. 

Edited by gianmarco
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Just started To The Lake.  It's essentially a Russian version of The Walking Dead.  2 episodes in and it's decent.  I don't know if it's going to go completely off the rails, but we shall see.  At least with all the snow and ice, I don't have to wonder how people's lawns are getting cut.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 100%, so I think it'll remain decent. 

I watched it and made a comment or two in here somewhere.

It's ok...worth the watch if TWD/end of world is your kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

After thinking about the show more today, I think a main reason it didn't connect with me is that it was an TV-MA show, dealt with mature themes, but everything was wrapped up in a nice PG-13 way.  There were some great moments, but I think that is why it missed a tad for me.  

Again, nitpicks - it was a good show, these were just thoughts I had today as to why I didn't love it as much as many in here (I do like shows and movies with a dark side).  

I know exactly what you mean. For all the debauchery, it felt pretty weirdly sanitized. I didn't mind that, tbh...I didn't feel like I needed to see explicit sex or drugs for this to work, even if I get your point.

Another criticism made by a co-worker...she didn't like the lead character. Dunno what to say about that one...her trying to find redemption after a long rough road is what the whole thing is about.

13 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I know exactly what you mean. For all the debauchery, it felt pretty weirdly sanitized. I didn't mind that, tbh...I didn't feel like I needed to see explicit sex or drugs for this to work, even if I get your point.

Another criticism made by a co-worker...she didn't like the lead character. Dunno what to say about that one...her trying to find redemption after a long rough road is what the whole thing is about.

I had to look up what her waking up in a tub full of water meant and if there was any explanation there. All I could find was that she fell asleep in the tub after a night of drinking??  Seems strange. And did she have the secks with that British model that night?  Left to the imagination I guess. 

47 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I think we are on the same page, I didn't need to see exactly that either.  Maybe a better way to put it is that despite being a show about alcoholism, addiction, suicide, etc..  there wasn't many real hard hitting scenes of emotion for me.  That stuff seemed to be taken care of in a quick, pg-13 manner, and I think it made some of the emotion in the final couple episodes land a little less for me.  

Also, for me I wish the chess part and the actual game of it was a little more prevalent.  Seems like most of the matches were just panning shots of the audience.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I think we are on the same page, I didn't need to see exactly that either.  Maybe a better way to put it is that despite being a show about alcoholism, addiction, suicide, etc..  there wasn't many real hard hitting scenes of emotion for me.  That stuff seemed to be taken care of in a quick, pg-13 manner, and I think it made some of the emotion in the final couple episodes land a little less for me.  

Also, for me I wish the chess part and the actual game of it was a little more prevalent.  Seems like most of the matches were just panning shots of the audience.  

Well said...totally get your point, and agree with it.

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Watch this.  Great in depth discussion of the final match.

8 hours ago, offdee said:

They showed how white played first in chess and (in theory) if you played perfect, a player would not lose with that small advantage.  Then in that final scene in the park she appeared in all white for the first time, after appearing in outfits the majority of the series that were mixed (black & white, checker board style, etc) and she even started the very first episode in the homemade dress (that was so bad, it was thrown away) 

Even her clothing showed her rise from nothing to the pinnacle of chess.  It's one small example of the series paying attention to small details and telling the story in multiple ways.  Very well done overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, El Floppo said:

She's not at all likable.  It didn't detract for me, but I can understand some people might need someone who's more of a pleasant or amiable heroine in order to root for her.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, krista4 said:

She's not at all likable.  It didn't detract for me, but I can understand how for some people they need someone who's more of a pleasant or amiable heroine in order to root for her.

Absolutely.

I guess I didn't say that well. Couldn't disagree at all with the original point, but could only add that the hero-journey through chess towards redemption is the crux of the story. If it had just been about the chess without that ultimate personal striving/awareness, it would have still been interesting but less accessible.

As an aside, KP really did nail it though...or at least made me more aware of why I liked but didn't love this.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, Capella said:

Re-watching the Wire. Had no idea that Wallace was played by young Michael B. Jordan. That blew my mind. 

i think we now know the answer to "WHERE THE #### IS WALLACE, MAN??!"

gracing the cover of People magazines "Sexiext Man Alive" issue, that's where.

2 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

There Will Be Blood.

Just watched this again.  Terrible movie but I hope DDL won every award possible.

Watching Haunting of Hill House again.  I never rewatch series except for Breaking Bad once, but I felt like doing this one again.  4 episodes in.  Still excellent.

:penalty:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
42 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

:penalty:

Dont get me wrong i enjoyed it very much, but DDLs acting was the whole movie.  Barely a story, basically no other characters matter except Dano who I suppose also acted well.  

Oh my god at the end of the movie when he was chasing Dano around.  That walk up the alley.  Just wow.

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Like 3

Search function was zero use (thought there was a thread once)but is anyone still watching His Dark Materials on HBO? Season 2 is two weeks in.

i’m struggling with the acting, particularly the facial expressions of the female leads, and now the witches. It’s like the director is telling them to stare, furrow their brows and scowl the entire time. 

6 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Dont get me wrong i enjoyed it very much, but DDLs acting was the whole movie.  Barely a story, basically no other characters matter except Dano who I suppose also acted well.  

Oh my god at the end of the movie when he was chasing Dano around.  That walk up the alley.  Just wow.

Agree.  Don't get the hype for this movie at all. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rustoleum said:

Search function was zero use (thought there was a thread once)but is anyone still watching His Dark Materials on HBO? Season 2 is two weeks in.

i’m struggling with the acting, particularly the facial expressions of the female leads, and now the witches. It’s like the director is telling them to stare, furrow their brows and scowl the entire time. 

We had a free month or week, but didn't quite get to finish the first season before it expired. Enjoyed it well enough, but didn't love. Not a fan of quacker lips from The Affair.

Hillbilly Ellegy has been a lightening rod for critics. Watched It today on Netflix. Glenn Close and Amy Adams both very good in it. Interested to hear what FBGs think about the movie itself. Man it’s got some haters....dumpster fire, trash. Those were some of the kind words from the LA Times. But of course this has been politicized. 

15 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

There Will Be Blood.

Just watched this again.  Terrible movie but I hope DDL won every award possible.

Add another :penalty:

8 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

Agree.  Don't get the hype for this movie at all. 

There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake.

Watched the Kominski Method on a flight today. The first episode was pretty good. Does it hold up?

Watched 2 episodes if Ted Lasso too. Pretty good. A little too feel good for my liking but I'll check out some more.

1 hour ago, jamny said:

Watched the Kominski Method on a flight today. The first episode was pretty good. Does it hold up?

Watched 2 episodes if Ted Lasso too. Pretty good. A little too feel good for my liking but I'll check out some more.

I liked it. Hope they’re making more. 

22 hours ago, jamny said:

I didn't finish Kominski, bit I enjoyed it.

Felt the same about Lasso as you the first couple episodes...like it needed to be darker or more biting. But then I let the feel good win out...and glad I did. Really glad.

• Like 2

El Camino Christmas was a mind melting dumpster fire. No clue if it's supposed to be a comedy or drama. Do a few decorations in a desert count as a Christmas movie? There's a bunch of real actors in this (Dax Shepard, Jessica Alba, Tim Allen, Ms Katy from Letterkenny, and more), so why is it such a train wreck? What a weird 90 minutes. 

Only watch if you embrace trash. 

On 11/25/2020 at 2:31 AM, Judge Smails said:

Hillbilly Ellegy has been a lightening rod for critics. Watched It today on Netflix. Glenn Close and Amy Adams both very good in it. Interested to hear what FBGs think about the movie itself. Man it’s got some haters....dumpster fire, trash. Those were some of the kind words from the LA Times. But of course this has been politicized. 

I really enjoyed it but these real life dramas are in my wheelhouse for movies.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:31 AM, Judge Smails said:

I wouldn't go this far, but I didn't like it much.  Neutered any political leanings or points from the book and was just melodrama about the family.   It also very much came off as a "let's ugly up Close and Adams and hope for an Oscar" type of project.     :shrug:  I got through it, but it's not something I would recommend.  

• Like 1